Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

Utopia 09-22-2022 01:12 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Brandi plays before Dave & Tim this weekend. I’d love some guest spots, but it’s a festival. What’s the consensus?

bowa36 09-22-2022 03:07 PM

I don't really see a reason to keep the True Reflections album where it is in the songs tab on DMBAlmanac. Maybe move it to under the "Pre-DMB" box...it just looks so ugly in the middle of all of their albums

grilldanmo 09-22-2022 05:25 PM

Dropped this in the New Album thread, but maybe here is more appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsapARkeJE

prdstmnky36 09-22-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18269931)

https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=358946

YankeesDMB41 09-22-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18269931)

This was a treat. I've never heard John Alagia speak in my life. Good to see they haven't changed their studio mindset in 30+ years of recording music :lol

TheLastStop123 09-23-2022 01:14 AM

the best version of proudest monkey is 5/23/12 and it’s not particularly close. one of the best Tim solos ever.

JboDaveGuyYNK 09-23-2022 02:13 AM

Does Beach ball get played within the next 2 Years?

nhamilton07 09-23-2022 05:05 PM

Now that the tour is over I've had a chance to think back on the cool moments of all my shows. I meant to ask the boards after spac about a guitar switch up I saw before Bartender N2. Guitar that was put on stage before the show started looked like standard tuning guitar but when the band took the stage, Dave's guitar tech quickly ran out and switched it with the drop d 12 string. We thought we were seeing a last minute audible but after the show looking at the printed setlist and even the written one that was posted on instagram, it was Bartender all along.

Did anyone else notice this or have any insight into why the wrong guitar was out there for a while while the crew was setting up. Only thing I could think of was the band trying to fake out the all knowing spac crowd because Daves tech is usually on spot.

Sabres914 09-23-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 18268618)

I absolutely love Lane 8 and Elderbrook, but unsure how I feel about this :lol

spoot388 09-24-2022 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhamilton07 (Post 18270630)
Now that the tour is over I've had a chance to think back on the cool moments of all my shows. I meant to ask the boards after spac about a guitar switch up I saw before Bartender N2. Guitar that was put on stage before the show started looked like standard tuning guitar but when the band took the stage, Dave's guitar tech quickly ran out and switched it with the drop d 12 string. We thought we were seeing a last minute audible but after the show looking at the printed setlist and even the written one that was posted on instagram, it was Bartender all along.

Did anyone else notice this or have any insight into why the wrong guitar was out there for a while while the crew was setting up. Only thing I could think of was the band trying to fake out the all knowing spac crowd because Daves tech is usually on spot.

maybe dave was thinking about starting off with #40 after the set was written and then decided against it when walking out. at fiddlers in 2021, the set was written to open with billies but dave played #40 before hand.

Dannyyankou 09-24-2022 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 18270123)
the best version of proudest monkey is 5/23/12 and itís not particularly close. one of the best Tim solos ever.

Pretty good.

I'll submit 6/26/2013 for consideration (I'm biased lol)

https://youtu.be/ptQe6q3sAyM

Xcacel 09-24-2022 03:55 AM

How was Robert Glasper the other night?

grilldanmo 09-24-2022 11:14 PM

I can't believe that anyone cares about the live crowd clip before Idea of You on CT. Some folks are obsessed with it. I don't think about until I hear and even then I don't care.

D&T at Farm Aid has us feeling less regret about not being able to move our OC Fest tix...want a full set of that awesomeness.

Xcacel 09-25-2022 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18271085)
I can't believe that anyone cares about the live crowd clip before Idea of You on CT. Some folks are obsessed with it. I don't think about until I hear and even then I don't care.

D&T at Farm Aid has us feeling less regret about not being able to move our OC Fest tix...want a full set of that awesomeness.

I donít care either. And it is not a YouTube clip (even if they said that)

Alpine416 09-26-2022 04:38 PM

Up & Away popped up on a playlist the other day. Boggles me that they don't bring that one out especially with Buddy in the band now.

dpduke5173 09-26-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18271672)
Up & Away popped up on a playlist the other day. Boggles me that they don't bring that one out especially with Buddy in the band now.

Agreed. a tour where they play Dodo & Up & Away instead of Stay or Leave and So Damn Lucky would be super refreshing.

Speilmen230 09-26-2022 07:48 PM

It's those small little changes that could make these later years so much fun, but they choose to keep beating the same songs into the ground from the same albums. And that's not even to say I don't enjoy these songs, they just need a break.

Swap out the following this past tour and it looks mighty different:

Stay or Leave for Up & Away
So Damn Lucky for DODO
When the World Ends for If I Had It All
Come On Come On for Black and Blue Bird
Why I Am for Spaceman
Funny the Way It Is for Squirm

Can we also talk about how Bartender was only played 3 times this summer?

YankeesDMB41 09-27-2022 12:39 AM

Depending on my mood and the time of year, Some Devil is one of my favorite Dave Matthews' albums. Some of those studio cuts are fucking magic. The first minute of Dodo is as good as anything on the big 3

YankeesDMB41 09-27-2022 12:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnYTZSHmP4

The fact that DMB has never tried this makes me think Carter and Stefan actively do not want to play it. It has shown up many times over the years in other Dave ventures. He clearly has never forgotten about it. It's on my DMB bucket list for sure.

YankeesDMB41 09-27-2022 01:26 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/commen...t=share_button

18k upvotes on reddit

SirBenjalot 09-27-2022 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18271894)
Depending on my mood and the time of year, Some Devil is one of my favorite Dave Matthews' albums. Some of those studio cuts are fucking magic. The first minute of Dodo is as good as anything on the big 3

I feel the exact same way. Even though I had been a fan since I was about 7 when RR 95 was released, this was the first studio album my older brother preordered. By that time, we were both huge fans so we were pretty excited for a Dave solo album. A lot of great memories from those teenage years so it may be due to nostalgia, but I consider it my favorite album more often than not. Haha.

zrroot 09-27-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Perfect fall album

TheLastStop123 09-27-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18270828)
Pretty good.

I'll submit 6/26/2013 for consideration (I'm biased lol)

https://youtu.be/ptQe6q3sAyM

so good!

TheLastStop123 09-27-2022 12:41 PM

Too High would be amazing with DMB too, Some Devil really is incredible

ISawTheBridge10 09-27-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

I've long been of the opinion that if Some Devil had just been released under the DMB moniker that it would be in the same conversation as the Big 3--perhaps in even higher regard than some.

monizzle145 09-27-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 18271757)
It's those small little changes that could make these later years so much fun, but they choose to keep beating the same songs into the ground from the same albums. And that's not even to say I don't enjoy these songs, they just need a break.

Swap out the following this past tour and it looks mighty different:

Stay or Leave for Up & Away
So Damn Lucky for DODO
When the World Ends for If I Had It All
Come On Come On for Black and Blue Bird
Why I Am for Spaceman
Funny the Way It Is for Squirm

Can we also talk about how Bartender was only played 3 times this summer?

Agree with these outside of Why I am for spaceman. I have seen spaceman with stanley jordan and another time with Branford Marsalis and it still didn't do much for me. I would think Why I am for Dive or anything not on Big Whiskey that is a deep cut would be the better sub.

oasisfan35 09-27-2022 09:43 PM

Personally don't care for DMB incorporating any 'Some Devil' tunes in to the live show, it's simply not their vehicle for me.

Route_2 09-28-2022 12:04 AM

the unpopular opinion thread is over there

tripeyedfish 09-28-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18272293)
Agree with these outside of Why I am for spaceman. I have seen spaceman with stanley jordan and another time with Branford Marsalis and it still didn't do much for me. I would think Why I am for Dive or anything not on Big Whiskey that is a deep cut would be the better sub.

This. I always thought it sounded excessively messy live. The intro horns were kind of yuck. Another song however that I thought would be similar live, “If Only”, actually pleasantly surprised me in Denver.

Also the absence of Bartender this summer was very depressing for me. I’m not a singer, but I’ve wondered if it has to do with his voice.

OneSweetMonkey 09-28-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasisfan35 (Post 18272318)
Personally don't care for DMB incorporating any 'Some Devil' tunes in to the live show, it's simply not their vehicle for me.

Genuinely curious why you feel that way.