Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354710)

Seanieb 02-04-2021 09:16 AM

Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

Hey my fellow Ants! I donated to Homes for Our Troops and have my Zoom call with Dave tomorrow afternoon. I've got some ideas of how I'd use the time, but I'm open to suggestions and will report back as much as I can.

So if you have anything you'd like be to bring up, lemme know! Want to be super respectful and not bring up anything that might make him uncomfortable, so please keep that in mind.

I love this community and would love to share this with you as much as possible.

:monkey

Foreverford05 02-04-2021 09:18 AM

Re: Zoom call w/ Dave Tomorrow

wow, that's awesome! I have about 1000 questions I'd love to ask, but really I guess I'd love to know his personal favorite venues to play, his favorite songs to play and why he gives some songs way more playtime than others

TypicalBilly14 02-04-2021 09:25 AM

Ask him when he's going to be on House next.

BzSlick3 02-04-2021 09:28 AM

Definitely have to ask about the album they completed last year and where the release stands! Congrats on the call and for donating to a good cause.

Aforauer 02-04-2021 09:29 AM

Definitely have to ask about this new album and if he stills plans to release one. Haven’t heard a peep since the fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cscottrun 02-04-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanieb (Post 17888676)
Hey my fellow Ants! I donated to Homes for Our Troops and have my Zoom call with Dave tomorrow afternoon. I've got some ideas of how I'd use the time, but I'm open to suggestions and will report back as much as I can.

So if you have anything you'd like be to bring up, lemme know! Want to be super respectful and not bring up anything that might make him uncomfortable, so please keep that in mind.

I love this community and would love to share this with you as much as possible.

:monkey

Congrats on winning the contest! My suggestions would be to ask how how soon we can expect the new album and how he thinks they will handle the currently scheduled summer tour.

Edit: I just re-read and this doesn't look like it was part of the WH contest, but congrats anyway.

Cscottrun 02-04-2021 09:32 AM

If there's a respectful way to let him know that the fan base misses the sound of the violin and that he should bring another one in, definitely do that as well, lol.

TheStone91 02-04-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17888693)
If there's a respectful way to let him know that the fan base misses the sound of the violin and that he should bring another one in, definitely do that as well, lol.

YES. Please do this, OP! Maybe preface it with saying like “While I enjoy the new sound and still go to live shows...”

FeelingGood 02-04-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17888693)

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dontdrink36 02-04-2021 09:59 AM

That's awesome, how long is the call? I'd ask what they are planning if the can't tour as scheduled and about the new album. Also say how much you enjoyed the Dave and Carter set and that we would like to see more of that with other members in the future.

theflower 02-04-2021 10:00 AM

very cool! if he doesn't want to discuss details regarding the release of the new album, maybe he'd be cool providing a characterization of it?

Sniper15 02-04-2021 10:03 AM

You have to get as much new album information as possible

cry_minarets458 02-04-2021 10:06 AM

ask him if the band made fun of boyd's pubes

ElijahSoRight72 02-04-2021 10:07 AM

Definitely echo the new album questions. Timeline/aesthetic/tracks/bonus material- just any new info would be nice.

I’ve always wanted to ask him a)why they didn’t go right back to Cavallo after BW, b) what happened during AFTW and why he hates it, then c) what happened with the 2nd Cavallo sessions 2013-2015. But I know that may be a little too risky- congrats on the Zoom call!

Skittles72 02-04-2021 10:10 AM

Ask him if the band ever thought about doing a charity stream of BTCS. Jimmy Eat World is playing/streaming a few of their albums to completion (though I dunno if they're doing it for charity). Thought the idea of recording them doing their most popular album would be an excellent funding opportunity.

coldengrey12 02-04-2021 10:15 AM

Would he rather fight one horse-sized duck or a hundred duck-sized horses?

Or, for a less trolling question: What is his favorite moment on show night? Soundcheck, first song, last song, etc.

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 10:25 AM

I'd be more interested in him talking about his songwriting process than anything else, by about 100x. It's something he has very rarely commented on whereas a lot of my other favorite musicians have opened up about it and I've found it fascinating.

vkratliff 02-04-2021 10:25 AM

I'd ask some version of this:

"When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"

crashintonickdm 02-04-2021 10:29 AM

Ask him if he’s ever had a wawa Buffalo tender sandwich

ToySoldier#34 02-04-2021 10:37 AM

Kind of a funny story, someone I know met Dave at a pre-show meet and greet thing a couple years ago and had this whole thing planned to tell him, wanted to explain how the music and everything they've done has brought him so many great memories and new friendships. So he gets there and starts by telling Dave "see it's never really been about you, or your music, that hasn't been the main thing for me" to which Dave stands there and says "uhh, thanks?" :lol

coldengrey12 02-04-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888748)
Kind of a funny story, someone I know met Dave at a pre-show meet and greet thing a couple years ago and had this whole thing planned to tell him, wanted to explain how the music and everything they've done has brought him so many great memories and new friendships. So he gets there and starts by telling Dave "see it's never really been about you, or your music, that hasn't been the main thing for me" to which Dave stands there and says "uhh, thanks?" :lol

:lol

Reminds me of when I met Dave Grohl

I'd seen the Foo Fighters cover Hüsker Dü at a show years earlier and that turned me onto them and Bob Mould, so I was like, hey, thanks.

And he goes, "So you don't like the Foo Fighters, huh? Just Hüsker Dü?"

He must have seen the look of "Oh God I fucked up" terror wash over my face

And then he laughed and said, "I'm just fucking with you. Yeah, man! Hüsker Dü rocks!" :lol

alec 02-04-2021 11:02 AM

Something I would love to ask Dave is what is the hardest he has ever laughed. You know the situation that caused that would be some very funny shit.

mquerques92 02-04-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 17888735)
Ask him if he’s ever had a wawa Buffalo tender sandwich

The band has been through Camden every year for 20+ years. It would be a shame if he hasn't made it halfway through the menu by now.

knares 02-04-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17888701)
YES. Please do this, OP! Maybe preface it with saying like “While I enjoy the new sound and still go to live shows...”

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

jaymas9 02-04-2021 11:16 AM

Ask him about Bismarck.

BotheLaneFan 02-04-2021 11:20 AM

Tell him I almost died of COVID and would appreciate Spotlight being brought back. Add in a “pretty please” so it is formed like a question.

Seanieb 02-04-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17888730)
I'd be more interested in him talking about his songwriting process than anything else, by about 100x. It's something he has very rarely commented on whereas a lot of my other favorite musicians have opened up about it and I've found it fascinating.

Loving the responses so far, keep em' coming!

I'm a musician and got into it because of the band, so this is area that I'd love to chat with him about. Hoping we can get into it.

CrAzYEasyDMB04 02-04-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkratliff (Post 17888731)
I'd ask some version of this:

"When the band started in the early '90s, it was a time of big change in the country. It was a pretty hopeful time. A lot has changed in the almost 30 years since then, but some things haven't changed much at all. Are you more or less hopeful about the world than you were back then?"

what a terribly boring question. I am so glad you did not win the contest.

Aforauer 02-04-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 (Post 17888821)

Agreed, but Dave and his mega liberal mind would probably eat that garbage up unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theflower 02-04-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 (Post 17888821)

hahaha. dont we know enough of what dave thinks about the world? tell us about your musical process. give me details about about the arrangements of songs, or the inspiration for songs, or whatever. do not care about platitudes regarding the current state of the world. we all wish it was better for ourselves and our children. the end.