Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=348306)

BruceW 06-20-2019 10:18 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeiser92 (Post 17476417)
Wait. Is jamon gone for good? Noticed a few days ago it was Phish radio but figured it was a temporary take over. That’s gonna suck if it’s permanent

Phish radio is permanent thank God.

JamOn being gone sucks though

Drock414 06-20-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouKnowThatItIS (Post 17476585)
Yes... internet and app only. Not on the regular channels that are where I listen... my car.

Yes you can sync the phone with the car. That lessens the quality of the sound (XM already has some issues with sound quality, this makes it worse). It also burns through my phone battery and uses bandwidth usage minutes. The signal can go out in places where it is not strong. I should not have to use my phone in my car to recieve JamOn when my car is equipped to receive Sirius/XM.

Bottom line... this is not an acceptable alternative for the way I consume satellite radio.

Well shit. I didn’t know that. Why are they screwing people over this way?

mHeiser92 06-20-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17476628)
Phish radio is permanent thank God.

JamOn being gone sucks though

No real big issue with Phish, but JamOn was great. Good variety of artists and I’ve discovered some great new stuff from the channel

YouKnowThatItIS 06-20-2019 11:11 AM

Not certain why they have eliminated JamOn as a standard channel. But I have sent them several emails and am likely to cancel my sub if it does not return.

BruceW 06-20-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouKnowThatItIS (Post 17476730)
Not certain why they have eliminated JamOn as a standard channel. But I have sent them several emails and am likely to cancel my sub if it does not return.

A lot of people have been vocal about it, so hopefully they bring it back. There’s no reason why you can’t still have it on the radio

Hahninator 06-20-2019 11:59 AM

I hope tomorrow's broadcast isn't as compressed-sounding. The one I recorded and posted on DT sounds compressed from last Friday... I was hoping another source would pop up so I could see if it was just what I was receiving on my end or if it was like that overall for everyone.

Drock414 06-20-2019 12:50 PM

I hope these dj’s Quit talking during songs...bartender last Friday was ruined by that shit

tubaguy1145 06-21-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17476810)
I hope tomorrow's broadcast isn't as compressed-sounding. The one I recorded and posted on DT sounds compressed from last Friday... I was hoping another source would pop up so I could see if it was just what I was receiving on my end or if it was like that overall for everyone.

I ripped the very first of these radio streams from last year using what looks to be a method similar to yours (Audacity), and the result was noticeably more compressed than Turbo’s rip of the same show. There are several ways to record with Audacity, so maybe I just chose wrong, but I know that I had the highest quality Sirius audio coming in, and what I captured was less.

Of course, it could be that the live shows don’t stream in as high of quality as taped shows (ie all the other streams so far this year), and your rip worked fine.

Either way, thank you for your work in preserving these shows!

richvisser23 06-21-2019 06:18 AM

For the limited time I am in my car everyday, the amount of repeats is mind boggling. Also, studio tracks should get played 1 for every 30 live songs. To offset the bitching, Camden N1 and Pelham are great, and very enjoyable to listen to.

hkhund07 06-21-2019 06:21 AM

Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel

Anyone notice that on the Düsseldorf Nancies Dave sings “could’ve been lost somewhere in Texas”?… Seems a bit odd. A case of disorientation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlobster78 06-21-2019 06:39 AM

I've noticed that they are playing very little songs with Boyd solos. Coincidence, maybe.

Hilly 06-21-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlobster78 (Post 17477434)
I've noticed that they are playing very little songs with Boyd solos. Coincidence, maybe.

Well, they haven't played any songs with Boyd solos this tour.

Whiteyxc514 06-21-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17477417)
For the limited time I am in my car everyday, the amount of repeats is mind boggling. Also, studio tracks should get played 1 for every 30 live songs. To offset the bitching, Camden N1 and Pelham are great, and very enjoyable to listen to.

Yeah I don’t listen very much but it’s amazing how often I’ve heard studio Stay, Jimi Thing, and Typical. All great tracks, don’t get me wrong, but given how many live releases this band has, those should be in rotation like once a week.

mlobster78 06-21-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17477435)
Well, they haven't played any songs with Boyd solos this tour.

The station plays more than just songs from 2018-2019.

Hilly 06-21-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlobster78 (Post 17477441)
The station plays more than just songs from 2018-2019.

Debatable. It's 2019 concerts and a 1993 Watchtower.

SeeMoreDMB 06-21-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

They play LIOG from LT11 quite often which is one of Boyd's best solos.

Whiteyxc514 06-21-2019 10:29 AM

The DMB channel is cool, the live concerts are awesome. I think my biggest disappointment is that they besides for the archival Friday shows from last summer, they don’t stray from the catalog that’s available on Apple Music or Spotify. Why not spin some DMB Live, Warehouse CD tracks, anything from LT 21 through LT 47? I think the reason we’re hearing so much repetition is that they’re really only pulling from a fraction of the catalog.

Dannyyankou 06-21-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

I’ve heard Crush and Nancies from Fenway.

Hahninator 06-21-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaguy1145 (Post 17477373)
I ripped the very first of these radio streams from last year using what looks to be a method similar to yours (Audacity), and the result was noticeably more compressed than Turbo’s rip of the same show. There are several ways to record with Audacity, so maybe I just chose wrong, but I know that I had the highest quality Sirius audio coming in, and what I captured was less.

Of course, it could be that the live shows don’t stream in as high of quality as taped shows (ie all the other streams so far this year), and your rip worked fine.

Either way, thank you for your work in preserving these shows!

Thanks for the reply. This is actually interesting and worth looking into. I am not a technical guy at all with this stuff so if anyone else has any information on how to improve the captured quality, it'd be great. Turbo's rips sound even better than the SiriusXM stream in my car - they are truly phenomenal. I wonder how he gets such good quality.

I will record tonight for sure, but now I'm interested in how I can tweak Audacity.

anklebunker 06-21-2019 02:31 PM

Are we keeping a running list of the bumper flubs ("here's a live version of Jimi Thing" ---> Studio Jimi; etc)? Here's a good one I just heard:

Dave: "Here's another live track from the 90s...a decade I really don't remember that well." (okay that's kinda funny)

XM plays: Crash Into Me - 2000 SPAC :lol

TypicalBilly14 06-21-2019 02:33 PM

This Lover Lay Down from Decorah, IA in 1996 on now is awesome.

stlbluespower 06-21-2019 02:42 PM

Does Sirius replay the Friday concerts, or are they accessible in any way?

TypicalBilly14 06-21-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anklebunker (Post 17477963)
Are we keeping a running list of the bumper flubs ("here's a live version of Jimi Thing" ---> Studio Jimi; etc)? Here's a good one I just heard:

Dave: "Here's another live track from the 90s...a decade I really don't remember that well." (okay that's kinda funny)

LOL they just did this with Granny. "Dave: Let's go back to a decade where I was 30 pounds difference, the 90's" and they play Granny from 2005 in Morrison, CO. Is this a Red Rocks Show?

Vorony 06-21-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17477964)
This Lover Lay Down from Decorah, IA in 1996 on now is awesome.

Also known as Live at Luther College. That one threw me off too first time I saw it labeled on Sirius.

LaLaLaLaHey 06-21-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anklebunker (Post 17477963)

During the first week, they got snippets of Buddy & other band members talking about how awesome they made Sledgehammer with Buddy and his new key intro & Tim’s punch. They then proceeded to play the Mile High version of Sledgehammer and not a 2018/19 version...

ForkInFork 06-21-2019 05:31 PM

That Girl Is You could be one of DMB 4.0's best songs if they allowed even a TINY bit of creativity and spontaneity to creep into the song, but instead we get the same exact version every single time unless theres a guest. Its such a shame that the band seems to value playing perfectly tight so highly these days.

Hahninator 06-21-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 17477967)
Does Sirius replay the Friday concerts, or are they accessible in any way?

They’re all on Dreaming Tree for download.

Unfortunately this one is pretty compressed tonight too.

SeekNancyUp 06-21-2019 06:51 PM

That Seek Up intro was fire.

ForkInFork 06-21-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp (Post 17478216)
That Seek Up intro was fire.

correct-a-mundo:thumbsup

ForkInFork 06-21-2019 08:19 PM

that album was a noticeably difficult album, the band was noticeably stressed, we were tired we were working really hard, we were exhausted, all that said i do think up to that point, without question, and certainly up against albums after, it was out best work

rough transcription of Dave's comments on BTCS