Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 04-04-2014 11:43 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239438)
I know I know. Besides you're an Avs fan. You are used to 2nd best.

Ooo that was a good one.

:lol

If that was the case, I'd be used to 29th place.

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239451)
:lol

If that was the case, I'd be used to 29th place.

Some Six Flags in the middle of nowhere then?

Actually Disneyland seems to be a lot better than it used to be. They've made an effort to try and make it as close to WDW as possible. When ya going?

fonzz41 04-04-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239464)
Some Six Flags in the middle of nowhere then?

Actually Disneyland seems to be a lot better than it used to be. They've made an effort to try and make it as close to WDW as possible. When ya going?

Yeah, if the Avs of the last 5 years were an amusement park, they'd be like the annual carnival they do in my wife's hometown in southern Idaho (pop. 6,000).

Not too many complaints about DL. It's cool for what it is, and for two 4 year olds and a 1 year old, they really don't care. We are going the week of May 5th.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-04-2014 11:56 AM

are the 4 year olds skating yet matty? i think that was the age i first learned.

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239484)
Yeah, if the Avs of the last 5 years were an amusement park, they'd be like the annual carnival they do in my wife's hometown in southern Idaho (pop. 6,000).

Not too many complaints about DL. It's cool for what it is, and for two 4 year olds and a 1 year old, they really don't care. We are going the week of May 5th.

Yeah it'll be a blast for them. Probably a good time to go. Can't imagine it being too busy. Griffin has seen videos the Cars ride and really likes it. He's not gonna be happy when he finds out Disney World doesn't have it when we go there later this year.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15239488)
are the 4 year olds skating yet matty? i think that was the age i first learned.

Yep! They've been skating since they were 3. My boy is starting a little beginner hockey class thingy at our local rink in the fall in preparation for starting actual hockey in the winter (5 years is the youngest they go 'round these parts). The class, more than anything, is just getting kids together and teaching them how to play on a team and stuff. It's taught by members of one of our local Junior teams as part of a community service thing they do. Pretty cool, and just as good for the guys on the Junior team as it is for the runts (if you've ever met hockey players in Juniors, you know what I'm talking about).

My daughter likes skating, but hadn't shown interest in hockey until recently. My wife doesn't really want her to play, and I'm a little hesitant too, knowing how girls at youth hockey levels can be treated in boy-dominated leagues. But I figure, if I can teach her to skate fast enough that the boys can't catch her, she'll be fine. Plus, she's got my wife's personality, which means she'd be able to probably beat the shit out of any boy that comes her way. She's recently gotten REALLY into hockey, so I may be buying some more gear here shortly. :lol

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239493)
Yeah it'll be a blast for them. Probably a good time to go. Can't imagine it being too busy. Griffin has seen videos the Cars ride and really likes it. He's not gonna be happy when he finds out Disney World doesn't have it when we go there later this year.

Sweet. If I remember from FB, your boy is really into Cars and stuff, eh?

We need to get that kid some Grand Rapids memorabilia.

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239501)
Yep! They've been skating since they were 3. My boy is starting a little beginner hockey class thingy at our local rink in the fall in preparation for starting actual hockey in the winter (5 years is the youngest they go 'round these parts). The class, more than anything, is just getting kids together and teaching them how to play on a team and stuff. It's taught by members of one of our local Junior teams as part of a community service thing they do. Pretty cool, and just as good for the guys on the Junior team as it is for the runts (if you've ever met hockey players in Juniors, you know what I'm talking about).

My daughter likes skating, but hadn't shown interest in hockey until recently. My wife doesn't really want her to play, and I'm a little hesitant too, knowing how girls at youth hockey levels can be treated in boy-dominated leagues. But I figure, if I can teach her to skate fast enough that the boys can't catch her, she'll be fine. Plus, she's got my wife's personality, which means she'd be able to probably beat the shit out of any boy that comes her way. She's recently gotten REALLY into hockey, so I may be buying some more gear here shortly. :lol

That's pretty sweet. I'm sure my wife wouldn't want Griffin to play. I think he has a slight interest in skating and asks about it. They were talking about sports in preschool this week and talked about hockey one day and I asked him if they talked about hockey, and he said "yeah, like you daddy." Then yesterday he saw my Star Wars trilogy on the shelf and asked to watch it..That's my boy!

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239503)

Yeah. Cars has died down a little for Planes and Frozen. Can't wait to take him to Disney. Going at Christmas. We were there when he was 1 and he seemed to like it but didn't really know what was going on.

My wife wants a Griffins sweatshirt but hard to find the stuff here on the opposite side of the state. Found some online but not knowing how small or large they run, kind of a risk.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-04-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239503)

:thumbsup

my sister is 2.5 years younger than me and played hockey her whole life. Through youth hockey we were often times on the same teams despite the age difference. She played only in a private girls league once we got past squirts to avoid the hitting and then played girls varsity hockey in high school and actually played a few years on ohio state's club team - both were awesome experiences for her.

everyone should play hockey IMO :lol

edit: oops i quoted the wrong post.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239504)
That's pretty sweet. I'm sure my wife wouldn't want Griffin to play. I think he has a slight interest in skating and asks about it. They were talking about sports in preschool this week and talked about hockey one day and I asked him if they talked about hockey, and he said "yeah, like you daddy." Then yesterday he saw my Star Wars trilogy on the shelf and asked to watch it..That's my boy!

I'm positive you can find a similar class where you are. Check out your local rink's website or something. Starting hockey cold can be a bit of a shock for kids that young, so starting them off in a class like that really helps. Like I said, it's not so much the skills they learn (those will come more as they play), it's more about learning to play nice with other kids, take turns, pass the puck instead of trying to score every time, stuff like that.

Parents can be a bit intimidated by the potential cost of starting a kid in hockey, but don't let that get to you. Don't feel bad about buying second-hand gear or something like that; your kids grow so fast they won't be in the gear long enough to spend on anything super fancy. Plus, at that level the gear is more just decoration :lol They're not moving fast enough or shooting hard enough to really hurt each other.

If you're going to spend big on anything, just make sure to get them a decent pair of skates. Many times you can also find these second-hand and still in pretty good shape, as previous parents spent a lot and then their kids grew out of them in 6 months so they barely got used.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15239528)
:thumbsup

my sister is 2.5 years younger than me and played hockey her whole life. Through youth hockey we were often times on the same teams despite the age difference. She played only in a private girls league once we got past squirts to avoid the hitting and then played girls varsity hockey in high school and actually played a few years on ohio state's club team - both were awesome experiences for her.

everyone should play hockey IMO :lol

Totally agree! Not to wax too eloquent or anything, but hockey taught me so much about just life in general. I hate to think where I'd be without it.

It's a good thing my boy likes hockey, because even if he didn't I think I'd pull the ol' "Sorry son, you're going to try this for at least a year."

EDIT to address your EDIT: I figured :lol

Rebecca De Mornay 04-04-2014 12:16 PM

i always get my stuff at play it again sports Tim, I'd say you could get him completely suited up for $200-$300 with decent used stuff

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15239541)
i always get my stuff at play it again sports Tim, I'd say you could get him completely suited up for $200-$300 with decent used stuff

Easily. Maybe less with how little he is :thumbsup

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239529)
Parents can be a bit intimidated by the potential cost of starting a kid in hockey, but don't let that get to you. Don't feel bad about buying second-hand gear or something like that; your kids grow so fast they won't be in the gear long enough to spend on anything super fancy. Plus, at that level the gear is more just decoration :lol They're not moving fast enough or shooting hard enough to really hurt each other.

Yeah, during the first intermission at Joe Louis they always have kids play for a couple of minutes. It's cute, but it's horrible at the same time. lol They used to let them use the whole ice. They've gotten wiser and put the goals at the blue lines.

I haven't played in years, and was never a good skater so sadly I couldn't help much. Would love for him to play it. I'll keep an eye open for the classes and stuff.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-04-2014 12:22 PM

ok boys, leaving the office to grab dinner and a few beers before heading to the arena.

go jackets!
#jacketsin5
#BOBROVSKYforPRESIDENT

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15239573)
ok boys, leaving the office to grab dinner and a few beers before heading to the arena.

go jackets!
#jacketsin5
#BOBROVSKYforPRESIDENT

Only go Jackets if Wings win too. lol

Have fun. Bob playing back to back?

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239571)
I haven't played in years, and was never a good skater so sadly I couldn't help much. Would love for him to play it. I'll keep an eye open for the classes and stuff.

Keep me updated :thumbsup

Oh, and be sure to volunteer as a coach when he does start to play. Doesn't matter if it's head coach or just opening the gate on the bench. My dad coached me as I grew up, and to this day those are my fondest memories of my childhood. It's something that is uniquely ours.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

go jackets!
#jacketsin5
#BOBROVSKYforPRESIDENT

Go get 'em! Go Jackets!

#jacketsin5

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239585)
Keep me updated :thumbsup

Oh, and be sure to volunteer as a coach when he does start to play. Doesn't matter if it's head coach or just opening the gate on the bench. My dad coached me as I grew up, and to this day those are my fondest memories of my childhood. It's something that is uniquely ours.

Whatever he ends up doing, sports or whatever, I'll be there. I won't miss it for the world. I'm glad I'm able to work pretty much 8-5 to still have nights and weekends free to be able to go to games or whatever.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239597)
Whatever he ends up doing, sports or whatever, I'll be there.

This is why you are an admirable human being.

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239604)
This is why you are an admirable human being.

You too sir. I have a lot of respect for you having had to deal with twins as infants and toddlers. Wooooo.

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 12:51 PM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/..._playoffs.html

Shut up Toronto.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239682)
You too sir. I have a lot of respect for you having had to deal with twins as infants and toddlers. Wooooo.

Thanks man.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239700)

:lol :rolleyes Forget the fact that THE COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS ARE PLAYING GOOD HOCKEY WHILE THE MAPLE LEAFS ARE PLAYING LIKE SHIT!!!!

Astounds me that people would even think to write an article this dumb. :lol

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239734)
Thanks man.

:lol :rolleyes Forget the fact that THE COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS ARE PLAYING GOOD HOCKEY WHILE THE MAPLE LEAFS ARE PLAYING LIKE SHIT!!!!

Astounds me that people would even think to write an article this dumb. :lol

I can't tell if he's serious or not. Either way, stupid to write it.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239742)
I can't tell if he's serious or not. Either way, stupid to write it.

This was my first thought

TMoore4075 04-04-2014 01:05 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Sums up the Ovie talk pretty good.

skwormin 04-04-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

go jackets!
#jacketsin5
#BOBROVSKYforPRESIDENT

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15239588)
Go get 'em! Go Jackets!

#jacketsin5

lolz yeah right #HawksGonnaWin

fonzz41 04-04-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15239753)

Wow. Our eye naturally goes to the puck carrier, but watch Ovechkin skating during the first second of that clip. Classic Ovie.

But IMO, Grabovski and Orlov were just as much to blame on that play. Breakdown:
:01 - Notice there's only 2 Stars entering the zone against 3 Caps.
:03 - The center does his job by going to support the D guarding the puck carrier. He overcommits a bit, he should've just gotten into the lane, knowing that a third Dallas forward is bound to get into the zone at some point. In fact, you can even see him looking around for him.
:04 - BECAUSE he overcommits, it's the winger's job to backcheck. With both Grabovski and Ovie coasting, that didn't happen. THEN, Orlov quits skating after his guy gets rid of the puck!

Despicable. It's sad when MIKE GREEN is the only player on the ice who did all he could on that play.

So glad Oates isn't sucking Ovie off all the time.

fonzz41 04-04-2014 01:19 PM

But even so, Ovie is the captain of the club. There's a responsibility there. If I ever had a captain - a leader of my team - with a work ethic like his... he wouldn't be wearing the C anymore.