Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 04-24-2012 07:58 AM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555206)
Fresh off my suspension! Good to be back :lol

Nice to see Phoenix advance. You've gotta give them credit... they have every reason to fail, and yet they continue to soldier on. A team of warriors... and scumbags (Torres).

I remember when they signed Smith... I didn't agree with many who said it was a terrible signing - I did see some potential there - but I didn't see him literally standing on his head most of the season. They are nowhere without him.

The job status of Coach Q going forward is an interesting one. Bylsma is another one. It's obvious both are great coaches, but at what point is it time for a fresh message? When you make a coaching change, it's not usually because the coach is "bad", it's just that a new message needs to be preached to keep the players motivated.

This is especially important on young teams. Vets know what they have to do... it's obvious they don't need as much hand-holding and "go get 'ems"; if they did they probably still wouldn't be in the league. But youngsters need that. Is Hitchcock a bad coach because he got fired from CBJ? Obviously not. Laviolette because he was fired from Carolina? Obviously not. The list goes on. It's just a "message getting stale" issue, and that's why we see the coaching carousel continuing to go around in the NHL. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the question both Pittsburgh and Chicago management need to consider (and it's not an easy one) is: At what point is it the coach's responsibility to get his guys going to play their best, and at what point is it the players responsibility to buck up and play to their full potential, and who's not pulling their full weight? I firmly think the players bear most of that responsibility, but the coach certainly has a job to do in that as well.

Will be interesting to see where it goes. One thing's for sure, Q and Bylsma are both good enough to land other jobs quickly. San Jose and Calgary come to mind.

I'd like to give Bylsma one more year where the status of Crosby isn't in limbo and he has a full complement of players for the better part of a full season. If they fail again in the playoffs, then it's time for a change.

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13503596)
Playoff predictions, just to get them out there:

Rangers/Senators: Rangers in 5. I have a feeling the Rags are going to be hungry in this opening round.

Bruins/Capitals: Bruins in 4. A bold statement, but the Bruins are built to beat teams just like the Capitals.

Panthers/Devils: Devils in 6. I think the Cats could win at least 2 at home, but in the end won't be able to skate for a full series with the Devils. The depth just isn't there.

Penguins/Flyers: Pens in 7. Gearing up to be one of the more exciting matchups of the playoffs.

Canucks/Kings: Canucks in 7. The Kings have learned to score and will not just roll over in this first round, but the depth of the Canucks will win out.

Blues/Sharks: Blues in 6. Yep, I think they can do it. Although not a HUGE factor in the regular season, this is where the addition of proven winners like Arnott and Langenbrunner become really important. Expect at least one of them to make a noticeable impact at some point during this series. What we won't see is there influence in the locker room.

Coyotes/Blackhawks: At the risk of severing friendships here, I'm going to say Coyotes in 7. In two words, injuries and inconsistency seem to have plagued the Hawks this season. Dave Tippett is the best coach this side of Barry Trotz at getting the most out of his players, and I think this is their time.

Red Wings/Predators: Predators in 7. Maybe the toughest series to predict for me. The 5th gear the Wings jump into at playoff time is uncanny, but I like the sauce of the Preds this year.

Damn! Further evidence of how crazy the playoffs have been this year. Got about half my winners correct, but completely goose-egged it on the number of games for each series :lol

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 13555221)
I'd like to give Bylsma one more year where the status of Crosby isn't in limbo and he has a full complement of players for the better part of a full season. If they fail again in the playoffs, then it's time for a change.

I agree :thumbsup

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555237)
Damn! Further evidence of how crazy the playoffs have been this year. Got about half my winners correct, but completely goose-egged it on the number of games for each series :lol

The Bruins/Capitals one was real close for ya.

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13555245)
The Bruins/Capitals one was real close for ya.

Kinda like your Sharks prediction, eh? ;)

All this kind of shows just how silly making predictions is.

Oh, and the trend continues... the big market teams get eliminated and the thread traffic goes right back down to where it was before. :lol That first round of the playoffs is always the most fun in the NHL thread.

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555252)
Kinda like your Sharks prediction, eh? ;)

All this kind of shows just how silly making predictions is.

Oh, and the trend continues... the big market teams get eliminated and the thread traffic goes right back down to where it was before. :lol That first round of the playoffs is always the most fun in the NHL thread.

My Blues/Sharks prediction was closer than yours though. lol

Oh yeah people come out of the woodwork for the first round then the like 10 of us that are around all the time stick around for it all.

Roose13 04-24-2012 08:17 AM

Here is how my first round predictions are holding up (not counting games, just result)...

NYR over OTT in 4 games
BOS over WAS in 6 games
NJ over FLA in 5 games
Phi over Pit in 7 games - W

LAK over VAN in 6 games - W
STL over SJ in 6 games - W
CHI over PHX in 5 games - L
NSH over DET in 7 games - W

lockman21 04-24-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13554579)
I love doing these, can't wait for the thread for next season:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Viktor Stalberg ($0.875m) / P-A Parenteau ($3.350m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.542m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Michael Frolik ($2.333m)
Andrew Shaw ($0.565m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m)
Jamal Mayers ($0.650m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Nick Leddy ($1.117m) / Ryan Suter ($5.200m)
Steve Montador ($2.750m) / Dylan Olsen ($0.870m)
Scott Hannan ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Ray Emery ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,156,794; BONUSES: $647,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $143,206

...and how do you plan on shedding Hjalmarsson? I mean, I'm all for it, but how would we get rid of him? Just for draft picks and gamble and make a run at Suter?

We're a long shot for him, but have been mentioned as a dark horse candidate. Would Suter like to come here and play second fiddle to the 7-2 pair? He would be top dog in Detroit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13554586)
If they don't make a serious run at a legitimate 2nd-pairing defenseman, I will be disappointed. Someone who plays with some physicality. Let Oduya walk please. Leddy / Suter is exactly what I would like. Probably will never happen. Give Leddy a safety net so he can be free to move the puck.

Agreed on all fronts. Leddy will only continue to improve (we assume). Oduya turned out to be another version of Campoli. With Montador tied up for another couple years, adding more money to defenseman of his caliber is a mistake.

That's what Stan Blowman does though. We give raises to guys that haven't earned it (Carcillo, Emery) and end up with basically the same team that just costs more, and then we have to dump guys because we can't afford them all anymore after giving everyone a raise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 13554625)
I think there is an overreaction to Oduya......would not mind seeing him back at all.....not his fault we ran into a fucking wall

I would absolutely mind seeing him back. It would handicap our cap to keep around another guy that isn't a top 4 defenseman. We have Montador waiting around for that, we need someone better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 13554636)
I will give you that.....although are they magnified by the fact that we could not score for shit?

No, they are magnified because he made bad turnovers in the defensive zone in the playoffs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555206)
Fresh off my suspension! Good to be back :lol

Nice to see Phoenix advance. You've gotta give them credit... they have every reason to fail, and yet they continue to soldier on. A team of warriors... and scumbags (Torres).

I remember when they signed Smith... I didn't agree with many who said it was a terrible signing - I did see some potential there - but I didn't see him literally standing on his head most of the season. They are nowhere without him.

The job status of Coach Q going forward is an interesting one. Bylsma is another one. It's obvious both are great coaches, but at what point is it time for a fresh message? When you make a coaching change, it's not usually because the coach is "bad", it's just that a new message needs to be preached to keep the players motivated.

This is especially important on young teams. Vets know what they have to do... it's obvious they don't need as much hand-holding and "go get 'ems"; if they did they probably still wouldn't be in the league. But youngsters need that. Is Hitchcock a bad coach because he got fired from CBJ? Obviously not. Laviolette because he was fired from Carolina? Obviously not. The list goes on. It's just a "message getting stale" issue, and that's why we see the coaching carousel continuing to go around in the NHL. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the question both Pittsburgh and Chicago management need to consider (and it's not an easy one) is: At what point is it the coach's responsibility to get his guys going to play their best, and at what point is it the players responsibility to buck up and play to their full potential, and who's not pulling their full weight? I firmly think the players bear most of that responsibility, but the coach certainly has a job to do in that as well.

Will be interesting to see where it goes. One thing's for sure, Q and Bylsma are both good enough to land other jobs quickly. San Jose and Calgary come to mind.

Q isn't going to go anywhere, I can tell ya that. I highly doubt Bylsma does either.

Q might not make it through next season if he doesn't start well, but I highly highly doubt that he gets fired this offseason. I expect changes on the Blackhawks front, they know that 2 years removed from the Stanley Cup title, having 0 postseason series victories is going to be detrimental to the popularity of this team in this city. Sad as it is, John McDonough/Rocky/Stan Blowman need that success to continue to justify pushing the salaries as close to the cap as possible. For another year, the Blackhawks as an organization failed to turn a profit, they are getting closer, but still didn't. Sustained success would get them there, but they need to win, and win now to be able to do it.

It will be interesting to see what moves they make, but losing Q is doubtful.

lockman21 04-24-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13503607)
Eastern Conference:

Rangers/Sens:
HANK! This series goes 5, just because I hate predicting sweeps. I don't see how the Sens have any chance in this. Yikes, not quite. Sens made this one a series. Crazy.

BRUINS!!!/Brohan: I originally predicted 6 games for Boston to win this, but I'm changing it to 5 as well. Washington is going to look at this offseason and finally just blow this thing up instead of tweaking it constantly. Mike Green needs to go. Semin should have been traded. They're going to have decisions to make since he's a UFA, and they should have gotten value for him before, and instead now should just let him walk. Again, a little off. Caps surprised me. Boston obviously can still win this one, but the fact that it's going 7 is crazy to me.

Panthers/Devils: I want Florida to win, I really do. I want to see Tallon just continue to surprise the hockey world in markets that no one wants to come to (let's face it, no one, I mean no one, wanted to come to Chicago when he took over...it took $7+ million to get Soupy to sign with the Blackhawks and $5+ million for Huet to sign here...). But Kovalchuk/Parise are just too much for the Florida back end. Devils in 5. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pens/Flyers: The series everyone and their mother is talking about. This. Will. Be. Fun. Limbs will be lost. Lives will be taken. Least bloody team survives. If Philly can knock the Pens off their game, and get them to play Flyers "pound you in the ass" hockey, the Flyers take this. Flyers in 7. Eh, close enough.

Western Conference:

Canucks/Kings:
I've been on their side all season...I like the Kings. This will be one of those 1/8 matchups that shocks everyone, because the Kings are more talented than your standard 8 seed. Quick steals a couple games, Louuuuuuu steals a couple games, it goes 7. It's anyone's game then, and the Kings take it. Kings in 7. WOO! KINGS!

Blues/Sharks: I don't have that much faith in the Blues, but I have no faith in the Sharks. I originally said Blues in 6...now Blues in 5. SJ made some AWFUL offseason and mid-season moves. Sometimes the trade deadline moves that you make to try and "improve" end up backfiring. Bad decisions by the front office there. I just don't see them as a good hockey team anymore. Blues take this one easily. YOU'VE BEEN HALAK'D! No Halak, but they are basically the same freak goaltender. Halak/Elliot...whatever. I nailed this one

Yotes/Hawks: I love this matchup for the Blackhawks. I think the Coyotes system is all smoke and mirrors. Bryz and their defense continually got exposed in the playoffs, Smith will be the same. Over the course of a 82 game season, it's easy to "steal" games with their system, but when you have to work it every night, teams get more and more game film and figure out how they can expose it...watch the goals pour in. The Yotes somehow have a worse PP than the Hawks...I didn't think it was possible for a playoff team to have a worse PP than the Blackhawks...but it exists. Look for game 1 to be a low scoring affair, that PHX probably wins, after that, I expect a HUGE series from #10 from Chicago. Sharpie and the backdoor one-timer will be a huge factor here. I'm predicting a massive series for him, talking 5-6 goals. Hawks in 5 with Toews, Hawks in 6 w/o Toews. Fuck you.

Preds/Wings: As I said, I just don't see Nashville winning a game at the Joe. I don't. I can see the Wings stealing a game or even two in Nashville. I think this one isn't as close as everyone thinks it will be. I'm changing this to Detroit in 6. The problem then is exposed for Nashville...go all in one season and it doesn't work...the offseason becomes a scary, scary time. They have 12 guys currently under contract for next season (including that ridiculous contract for Rinne), and 8 of them expire then after NEXT season. Scary planning for Nashville if they don't "win now". I don't want to see that market die, but I think Suter leaves for Hockeytown and Shea Weber spends the offseason crying at the loss of his boyfriend, and upset that he was a RFA.Oooooops.

Yeah...well done Chris.

thedak 04-24-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13554569)
Will anyone outside of NSH and PHX actually watch that series?

Hell no

I am hoping for a Florida - Phoenix Final

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedak (Post 13555317)
Hell no

I am hoping for a Florida - Phoenix Final

Sadly Gary Bettman probably is too. Ratings will suck but he can use it as excuse to say it can work in the sunbelt.

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13555299)

We're a long shot for him, but have been mentioned as a dark horse candidate. Would Suter like to come here and play second fiddle to the 7-2 pair? He would be top dog in Detroit.

Q isn't going to go anywhere, I can tell ya that. I highly doubt Bylsma does either.

Q might not make it through next season if he doesn't start well, but I highly highly doubt that he gets fired this offseason. I expect changes on the Blackhawks front, they know that 2 years removed from the Stanley Cup title, having 0 postseason series victories is going to be detrimental to the popularity of this team in this city. Sad as it is, John McDonough/Rocky/Stan Blowman need that success to continue to justify pushing the salaries as close to the cap as possible. For another year, the Blackhawks as an organization failed to turn a profit, they are getting closer, but still didn't. Sustained success would get them there, but they need to win, and win now to be able to do it.

It will be interesting to see what moves they make, but losing Q is doubtful.

I don't see Suter signing with the Hawks, for the exact reason you mentioned. This is his time to make his money and make his mark. Not that he's egotistical or anything, but he's a damn good defenseman who deserves that number spot and the dollars that will come along with it.

I also agree about Q, just as I agreed with Dramageek on Bylsma. I think both keep their job this year. My comments were more directed to the "fire Q!" comments coming through after last night. A few were probably made in anger (kind of like Bonzo storming out of the thread :lol), but I just wanted to comment on the role of a coach in general.

Roose13 04-24-2012 08:26 AM

Chris, I still want to know what "pound you in the ass hockey" is. It doesn't sound fun.

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 13555337)
Chris, I still want to know what "pound you in the ass hockey" is. It doesn't sound fun.

:lol

It's the kind where before/after a game, you better sit in the corner of the locker room and never get fully undressed. Get out as quickly as possible and shower at home.

fonzz41 04-24-2012 08:35 AM

And Chris, a couple days ago you challenged all to a game of shinny. You are on buddy.

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast...

(you miss that movie quote and you're getting suspended again!)

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555383)
And Chris, a couple days ago you challenged all to a game of shinny. You are on buddy.

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast...

(you miss that movie quote and you're getting suspended again!)

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast??

Noooo

Oh and Grizzly Adams had a beard.

wampa3 04-24-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 13503554)
I'll throw in my $0.02 as well for the 1st round.

NYR/Sens: Rangers in 5. The Rags haven't been playing up to par to end the season, but they haven't had much incentive to either. The Sens on the other hand have been pretty miserable. Goaltending is gonna kill em in this one. Yeah, missed this one by a mile

Bruins/Caps: Bruins in 6. Caps may win a few, but I think they tank and don't have a chance. Again, whoops

Panthers/Devils: Devils in 7. I think this one is closer than most think. Almost reminds me of last years Pens-Lightning matchup where the Pens were the seemingly strong favorite to win and somehow the Lightning pulled 3 straight wins out of their ass. In the end, the Devils pull it off though. Had some quiet confidence in the Panthers here but didn't think they'd have the chops to be where they are now. We'll see if I'm right...

Pens/Flyers: Vomit, I'm not evening going to guess what happens here. Vomit is code for I'm pretty sure the Pens would lose but didn't want to think about it. I think Amoebic Dysentery describes my feelings better now.

Canucks/Kings: Canucks in 5. The children of the corn are just too good. Way fucking off

Blues/Sharks: Blues in 7. This series will be a catalyst for the Sharks to reorganize next season. Thought Sharks would make it closer, but yeah

Yotes/Hawks: Yotes in 6. I think Tippett has been nothing short of miraculous this season and I think the series may depend on whether or not Smith can carry over his regular season success to the playoffs. Bryz couldn't do it last year, but I'm guessing Smith does. Nailed it.

Wings/Preds: Preds in 7. It'll be hard fought, but the Wings have floundered a bit while the preds have loaded up for the playoffs. It'll be extremely close, but I think the Preds come out ahead. Preds were either way better than I expected or the Wings were way worse. Not sure.

Did pretty well in the Western, not so much for the Eastern me thinks

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 13555391)
Did pretty well in the Western, not so much for the Eastern me thinks

With your Wings and Preds pick I think it was a bit of both. Preds were damn good (well goaltending and defense) and Wings offense couldn't do anything.

lockman21 04-24-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13555334)
I don't see Suter signing with the Hawks, for the exact reason you mentioned. This is his time to make his money and make his mark. Not that he's egotistical or anything, but he's a damn good defenseman who deserves that number spot and the dollars that will come along with it.

I also agree about Q, just as I agreed with Dramageek on Bylsma. I think both keep their job this year. My comments were more directed to the "fire Q!" comments coming through after last night. A few were probably made in anger (kind of like Bonzo storming out of the thread :lol), but I just wanted to comment on the role of a coach in general.

This summer and beginning of the season is a make or break for a lot of people for the Blackhawks.

This is the last run this "core" gets, last run Q gets, last run Stan gets, IMO. If they can't get it done, I expect lots of changes. I'll do a massive write up later, but for now I'm going to return to work, and cry with my freshly shaven face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 13555337)

:lol Honestly don't remember what I was going for there.

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13555426)
This summer and beginning of the season is a make or break for a lot of people for the Blackhawks.

This is the last run this "core" gets, last run Q gets, last run Stan gets, IMO. If they can't get it done, I expect lots of changes. I'll do a massive write up later, but for now I'm going to return to work, and cry with my freshly shaven face.

Pussy...:lol

lockman21 04-24-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13555445)
Pussy...:lol

I know :lol

It was a pretty great beard too. Damnnnnnnit.

~Crashintome89~ 04-24-2012 09:09 AM

Maybe I'm just really bias, but Paul Holmgren should definitely be a finalist for GM of the year.

Roose13 04-24-2012 09:17 AM

He should be. The trades he pulled off were fucking incredible.

TMoore4075 04-24-2012 09:22 AM

Can't argue against the guys nominated though. Armstrong you could switch him out with Homgren cause I think Hitch is more a reason why the Blues turned it around but I still don't have a problem with the list.

~Crashintome89~ 04-24-2012 09:24 AM

Remember there was no guarantee that Giroux would elevate his game the way he did this season. Holmgren is a genius.

unccrombie 04-24-2012 10:50 AM

The last Game 7 at the Garden was in the NBA. The New York Knicks lost 97-95 to Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers in the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals. The last time the Rangers hosted a Game 7 was 1994, when they beat Vancouver to win their first Stanley Cup in 54 years.

lockman21 04-24-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 13556159)
The last Game 7 at the Garden was in the NBA. The New York Knicks lost 97-95 to Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers in the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals. The last time the Rangers hosted a Game 7 was 1994, when they beat Vancouver to win their first Stanley Cup in 54 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljv6f00E2nc

unccrombie 04-24-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13556179)

part of me wishes the cubs could experience that joy.

s0628711 04-24-2012 11:02 AM

If the cubs ever win, that city is gonna burn.

lockman21 04-24-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 13556204)
part of me wishes the cubs could experience that joy.

Fuck that shit.