Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-22-2017 01:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16725025)
We need to improve the defense and add a strong shutdown center. I would love to see the team try and bring back Boyle from Tampa Bay. I feel like a Boyle type move could have us right up there.

Brian Boyle is one of my favorite players in the NHL :thumbsup. Would love for the Avs to get him.

"would love for the Avs to get him" :lol - sometimes I say crazy things

lockman21 02-22-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725074)
Brian Boyle is one of my favorite players in the NHL :thumbsup. Would love for the Avs to get him.

"would love for the Avs to get him" :lol - sometimes I say crazy things

Watch out! Here come the Avs!

Lcsulla 02-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16724848)
I wouldn't mind the Habs in round 1. Good original six series to start off the playoffs! I also have to believe that if the Rangers won that series they would make it to the Eastern Finals at the very least. On the other hand, I kind of like taking on Washington or Pittsburgh in round 1 too. If we can't beat them in round 1, we wont beat them in round 3, so lets just see how good this Rangers team is before getting hopes to high.

You never really know with the Stanley Cup playoffs, teams can get hot or go cold so quickly it can change the momentum of the series. I know what you mean though - I often wonder whether I would rather play a team in the first round that was a de facto pushover or the team with a better record just to get them out of the way. We have all seen strange things happen in the playoffs, injuries, guys getting hot, guts who can't score to save their lives despite being great players, etc, etc. Tough call, sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16724920)
No doubt! The talent on both sides would just be amazing to watch. I know the NHL would love a Rangers v Hawks series too, but I think 2014 was probably the best chance for that.

2015, the year the Rangers lost game 7 of the ECF to Tampa (when the Hawks went on to win the cup) was probably the closest we have seen to that possible matchup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725007)
I think if the Hawks can grab one more forward at the deadline (Sharp?), they're the favorites to come out of the West. East could be any number of teams...Caps, Pens, Rags, Habs and maybe even the Jackets all are legit candidates.

This year very well could be Rags/Hawks.

That would be a great series showcasing some very skilled players. Love to grab Sharp but the cap or an absurd asking price from Dallas could both throw a wrench into that idea. Honestly, to this day I believe had Keith not been suspended for that first game against St. Louis in round 1 they win that game then the complexity of the series changes and the Hawks probably win that one in 6 games - then I also fully believe they'd have blown past Dallas and won a tight 6 or 7 game series against San Jose which would have given us a CHI/PIT SCF and that is a series I would not have bet a dime on - I think even Penguins fans would have been wary and unwilling to bet on an outcome.

fonzz41 02-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725153)
Watch out! Here come the Avs!

Still trailing the Patriots in total wins this season...

lockman21 02-22-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725158)
That would be a great series showcasing some very skilled players. Love to grab Sharp but the cap or an absurd asking price from Dallas could both throw a wrench into that idea. Honestly, to this day I believe had Keith not been suspended for that first game against St. Louis in round 1 they win that game then the complexity of the series changes and the Hawks probably win that one in 6 games - then I also fully believe they'd have blown past Dallas and won a tight 6 or 7 game series against San Jose which would have given us a CHI/PIT SCF and that is a series I would not have bet a dime on - I think even Penguins fans would have been wary and unwilling to bet on an outcome.

The biggest wrench in the Hawks plans is the cap, but not because Sharp can't fit. Today they can absorb a yearly cap hit equivalent of $3.3 million at the deadline. That's without a demotion or two that could open up more space. The problem is cap overages. Last year they had next to NO space at the end of the season, which resulted in things like Panarin's bonus carrying over to this season's cap. With Artemi's new contract kicking in, I bet they want to absorb as much bonus payout as they can in this year's cap. So acquiring someone like Sharp would keep them from doing that.

To your second point - what's most amazing about the Hawks is that they really could easily have 4 or 5 Cups. That OT game against the Kings? If the puck doesn't weirdly go off Leddy's sweater and he actually blocks that shot, Hawks would have likely done the same thing to the Rags the Kings did. And yeah, I think Keith's suspension really hurt, but if Seabrook's shot didn't ring off BOTH posts there at the end of the 3rd...who knows what happens in OT? They were a couple really simple bad breaks away from really having a shot at both those. The only years I really think the Hawks just didn't have it were 2010-11 and 2011-12. Those teams were just not good.

Lcsulla 02-22-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725216)
The biggest wrench in the Hawks plans is the cap, but not because Sharp can't fit. Today they can absorb a yearly cap hit equivalent of $3.3 million at the deadline. That's without a demotion or two that could open up more space. The problem is cap overages. Last year they had next to NO space at the end of the season, which resulted in things like Panarin's bonus carrying over to this season's cap. With Artemi's new contract kicking in, I bet they want to absorb as much bonus payout as they can in this year's cap. So acquiring someone like Sharp would keep them from doing that.

To your second point - what's most amazing about the Hawks is that they really could easily have 4 or 5 Cups. That OT game against the Kings? If the puck doesn't weirdly go off Leddy's sweater and he actually blocks that shot, Hawks would have likely done the same thing to the Rags the Kings did. And yeah, I think Keith's suspension really hurt, but if Seabrook's shot didn't ring off BOTH posts there at the end of the 3rd...who knows what happens in OT? They were a couple really simple bad breaks away from really having a shot at both those. The only years I really think the Hawks just didn't have it were 2010-11 and 2011-12. Those teams were just not good.

Completely agree on the cap issue, my point was that if Dallas asked for one of our young guys (Hartman, Kero, Hinestrosa, Abbot, etc, etc) in return for a rental it is a dumb deal. Regarding Panarin, I believe you are correct and the Hawks are probably hoping the same as well - though I am damn happy he is signed for a while longer!

Yeah, the 2010-2011 and 2011-1012 teams were not that great because they essentially had get rid of some key guys from the 2009-2010 team - namely Ladd and Byfuglien for starters but I credit the front office for doing it smart and keeping that core group (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharpe, Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmasson) together so they could rely on new talent coming in like say Saad, Shaw, TVR and others who have come - and in some cases gone.

I agree, I don't even want to think about that fucking Kings game, it is like recalling Mariano Rivera throwing the ball into center field during the 9th inning of game 7 against the Diamondbacks - AKA it sucks. They would have beaten the Rangers that year just as I am sure they would have made the SCF (not claiming they'd have beat PIT but it would have been a great series) last year!

Brohan_Santana 02-22-2017 07:29 PM

Flyers fans are idiots. Are they really trying a 'Holt-by' chant when he's only given up 1 goal?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohan_Santana 02-22-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16725410)
Flyers fans are idiots. Are they really trying a 'Holt-by' chant when he's only given up 1 goal?!?!?

Oh, and the only goal he allowed was a deflection...dipshits

aeroshady 02-22-2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725158)

2015, the year the Rangers lost game 7 of the ECF to Tampa (when the Hawks went on to win the cup) was probably the closest we have seen to that possible matchup.

I would definitely argue that 2014 was. Rangers made the finals and the Hawks lost to the Kings in a game 7 OT. It was one goal away from happening :lol

In 2015, the Rangers lost 2-0 in game 7.

lockman21 02-22-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725332)
Completely agree on the cap issue, my point was that if Dallas asked for one of our young guys (Hartman, Kero, Hinestrosa, Abbot, etc, etc) in return for a rental it is a dumb deal. Regarding Panarin, I believe you are correct and the Hawks are probably hoping the same as well - though I am damn happy he is signed for a while longer!

Yeah, the 2010-2011 and 2011-1012 teams were not that great because they essentially had get rid of some key guys from the 2009-2010 team - namely Ladd and Byfuglien for starters but I credit the front office for doing it smart and keeping that core group (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharpe, Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmasson) together so they could rely on new talent coming in like say Saad, Shaw, TVR and others who have come - and in some cases gone.

I agree, I don't even want to think about that fucking Kings game, it is like recalling Mariano Rivera throwing the ball into center field during the 9th inning of game 7 against the Diamondbacks - AKA it sucks. They would have beaten the Rangers that year just as I am sure they would have made the SCF (not claiming they'd have beat PIT but it would have been a great series) last year!

It won't be those guys. If anyone, it's Ville Pokka.

Dramageek 02-23-2017 05:16 AM

Fantastic story about the Punjabi broadcaster who did the "Bonino Bonino Bonino!" goal call in last year's playoffs:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/har...chapared-shot/

Roose13 02-23-2017 07:01 AM

Ovechkin's set up to Oshie's goal in the third was nice. Dude really is a special player.

But...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16725423)

Oh, and the only goal he allowed was a deflection...dipshits

Welcome to Hockey Fan 101, where this happens at any game, anywhere. Even a dipshit could figure that out.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 07:20 AM

Pens defense just taking hits so they get Ron Hainsey. You want Brendan Smith too?

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 07:24 AM

Fucking A. I didn't even know about Daley's knee surgery. I've been out of the loop. I also know nothing about Hainsey

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725701)
Fucking A. I didn't even know about Daley's knee surgery. I've been out of the loop. I also know nothing about Hainsey

I didn't know he was still playing. I remember he used to play for the Thrashers.

lockman21 02-23-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725701)

I mean, he's old. He's gotta be, what, 36 now? Like Tim said, he was on the Thrashers. And the Jackets back in the day. Been around the block. Probably been in the league 14-15 years or so.

Steep price for him, but defensemen are expensive at the deadline. At this point, he's probably a 6th defenseman, MAYBE 5th with Daley/Schultz out. But he'll likely spend time in the press box when those two come back.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725736)
I mean, he's old. He's gotta be, what, 36 now? Like Tim said, he was on the Thrashers. And the Jackets back in the day. Been around the block. Probably been in the league 14-15 years or so.

Steep price for him, but defensemen are expensive at the deadline. At this point, he's probably a 6th defenseman, MAYBE 5th with Daley/Schultz out. But he'll likely spend time in the press box when those two come back.

Oh yeah the Jackets too. Poor bastard was on two of the worst expansion teams. The price is what makes me feel ok about the Wings unloading Smith. He's nothing special either but teams want depth on the blue line and Smith can add that.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:15 AM

Dammit Pittsburgh, I wanted Hainsey for the Avs!

You guys will like him for the role he plays. Bottom pair at this point in his career, but will provide solid, reliable minutes there. He's cool as a cucumber in his own zone and is always in position. Will not provide any flash or dash, but that's generally not what you're looking for in a 5/6. Also, a great penalty killer.

Good acquisition by the Pens as they gear up for the playoffs. :thumbsup

lockman21 02-23-2017 08:20 AM

Yeah, I mean, he's your classic steady older bottom pair defenseman. Don't expect him to light up the score sheet, but he'll generally be in the right place and make the right passes. He's not Duncan Keith making 100 foot passes through the neutral zone to create a 3-on-2, or Shea Weber unloading a slap shot, but he'll be steady. He can hit occasionally too.

He's like a 2003 Honda Civic. He won't get you laid, but he's reliable and will do the job you need him to.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:24 AM

Pens are fucked

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725797)
Pens are fucked

It's really incredible how this organization can never stay healthy.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:31 AM

Aw, I'm so sorry your Stanley Cup Championship team has a few bumps.

#notbitteroranything

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725804)

this year is almost at the point of being a wash TBH

the grind of playing 106 games last year is catching up with them. if they were smart, they would rest the big 4 down the stretch to freshen up. and even that might not help.

Maata, Daley, Schultz (should be back soon), Rust, Sheary

that's 5 huge injuries and Hainsey does nothing for me, especially for a 2nd round pick. if he's on the ice for significant minutes in the playoffs, the Pens are toast.

we'll see if GMJR makes another move

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725819)

#notbitteroranything

my life is hard dude

the struggle is real

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725823)
this year is almost at the point of being a wash TBH

the grind of playing 106 games last year is catching up with them. if they were smart, they would rest the big 4 down the stretch to freshen up. and even that might not help.

Maata, Daley, Schultz (should be back soon), Rust, Sheary

that's 5 huge injuries and Hainsey does nothing for me, especially for a 2nd round pick. if he's on the ice for significant minutes in the playoffs, the Pens are toast.

we'll see if GMJR makes another move

I think he will for sure. I'm thinking they bring in a 4th line winger

aeroshady 02-23-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725797)
Pens are fucked

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725804)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725819)

#notbitteroranything

:thumbsup :lol

I mean really guys..you have been in the hunt every year and won the damn Cup twice in the last 10 years. I'll be over here playing the worlds smallest violin for you all. :rolleyes

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725823)

He will be the type whose praises you'll sing if the injuries start to pile up in the playoffs.

2nd rounder is steep, but a good contributing depth player. It is apparent the Pens have drafted very well, and perhaps that's what made the pick expendable in the eyes of Rutherford.

Dramageek 02-23-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725832)
He will be the type whose praises you'll sing if the injuries start to pile up in the playoffs.

2nd rounder is steep, but a good contributing depth player. It is apparent the Pens have drafted very well, and perhaps that's what made the pick expendable in the eyes of Rutherford.

I've been told this year's draft class is a bit on the weak side, so perhaps the 2nd Rounder this year is not as steep as it would be in other years.

Hainsey adds to the depth. It seems to be a move that needed to be made given the current injury situation.

For all the Pens' success, which I will never ever complain about, the injury bug does seem to hit them hard.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16725849)
I've been told this year's draft class is a bit on the weak side, so perhaps the 2nd Rounder this year is not as steep as it would be in other years.

It definitely is. I'm hoping the Avs are able to move the 1st overall as part of a package for a really big name D-man.

lockman21 02-23-2017 08:46 AM

Schultz is practicing today in a regular jersey.

Take it easy, Pens fans. What are you? Hawks fans? Step off the ledge. You're fine.