Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 10-21-2016 12:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16619553)
you could say that about China and India because of their huge populations but they have terrible soccer teams too.

thats because their best athletes play Table Tennis & Cricket respectively

same with Canada and Russia having sub-par soccer teams. their athletes play hockey

Good points, all.

One more counterpoint then I'm done. The U.S. tends to dominate medal counts at both the summer and winter Olympics (though not in hockey, of course.) Every four years the U.S. can groom swimmers, gymnasts, track and field athletes, divers, figure skaters, speed skaters, volleyball players and athletes from other obscure, non-big-money sports. Even if they don't win the gold, many of the U.S. athletes are competitive in many events. I'd say the Olympians are also some of the U.S.'s best. If the U.S. consistently fields strong Olympic talent, why not build a soccer team for the world cup?

Also, India is fascinating in the sense that it does have a huge population, but is in no way sports-centric.

hailtopitt 10-21-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16619618)
Good points, all.

One more counterpoint then I'm done. The U.S. tends to dominate medal counts at both the summer and winter Olympics (though not in hockey, of course.) Every four years the U.S. can groom swimmers, gymnasts, track and field athletes, divers, figure skaters, speed skaters, volleyball players and athletes from other obscure, non-big-money sports. Even if they don't win the gold, many of the U.S. athletes are competitive in many events. I'd say the Olympians are also some of the U.S.'s best. If the U.S. consistently fields strong Olympic talent, why not build a soccer team for the world cup?

Also, India is fascinating in the sense that it does have a huge population, but is in no way sports-centric.

yea that's true about the Olympics. some of that may have to do with saturation (US always sends the most athletes to the Games) but the US still does find a way to produce top level Olympic athletes

another factor there too is that we have by far the best female athletes in the world which is a part of the Olympics. when we talk about soccer and the World Cup, we are talking strictly about men, as our Women's team has been consistently the best in the World/highly competetive for decades.

lockman21 10-21-2016 01:24 PM

You guys talk about this shit like Phil Kessel isn't a god damn elite athlete.

hailtopitt 10-21-2016 01:31 PM

:lol if only Nathan's sponsored the Olympics

barbogast 10-21-2016 03:09 PM

You think Kessel is a Nathan's man? Hmm. Interesting choice.

hailtopitt 10-21-2016 03:14 PM

Kessel is a "whatever is in the vicinity is getting eaten" man

kev87lads 10-21-2016 03:21 PM

Just another Flyer suspended. Weise needed a true Flyer initiation.

Lcsulla 10-21-2016 07:20 PM

Damn, burned again by power play goals - worse it was against a scrub team (CBJ) who have no defense, lost another D man early plus they have a goalie who cannot stay off the injured reserve. I can understand losing to Nashville or St. Louis but Columbus and Benedict Arnold Saad.... WTF? Losing TVR hurts too.

Roose13 10-21-2016 07:47 PM

Ironically, Dave Isaac of the Curier wrote about how the Flyers are so far away from being Bullies size wise but have 12-games of suspension so far haha

spoot388 10-21-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16619512)
You're way into soccer. Answer me this. There are about 151 million males in the U.S., probably about 1/2 of which are of the age to play soccer or learn how to play soccer. Many of those are descended from countries where soccer is huge, such as Italy, Germany, England, Greece, Brazil, Argentina, etc. Why on this good Earth can the U.S. Men's team not groom about 20-30 of them to field a world class soccer team?

/soccer-futbol talk in the NHL thread.

Go Pennnns!

i know some others answered already as to why our top athletes don't play soccer, and those are true reasons, but i believe we're going to see a major shift over the next 15 years or so.

over the last 20 or so years, youth sports has become more and more of kids play one sport and play it all the time. i have a 12 year old cousin who plays baseball like 8 months out of the year. more and more kids are going the "specialized" route of focusing just on one sport, and a lot are turning to soccer.

especially with worries about health and concussion with football, a lot of kids are playing soccer exclusively, and its going to drive greatness at the national level soon enough.

look at other sports, where you have guys like mike trout as one of the best baseball players ever, already, or lebron james. they probably could have been in the NFL if they played football because they are freaks athletically, and they probably could be in the MLS if he chose to play soccer. with the way that kids train these days, you're going to see guys like trout who are 6'3 240lbs and run a 4.4 forty. wait until those guys start showing up on a soccer field. they're going to dominate.

soccer is one of the most popular youth sports in the country. give those 10 year olds time to grow and in 12-15 years, they're going to be the leaders on the USMNT. 3-4 world cups from now and the US is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

TMoore4075 10-22-2016 07:55 AM

Best game the Wings have had in a while. Much better than the crap game they played on Wednesday, even if they won. Nashville did a good job pressing down 5 on 3 late in the game. Was worried they'd tie it. Guessing we'll see Howie back in net tonight.

dmbetc 10-22-2016 12:30 PM

So, Zatkoff (Kings goalie) suffered a groin injury at morning skate today. This is not real life.

TMoore4075 10-22-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16620040)
So, Zatkoff (Kings goalie) suffered a groin injury at morning skate today. This is not real life.

That's just crazy.

hailtopitt 10-22-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

yikes...not good

Lcsulla 10-22-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah, just saw that. That is just awful - oddly enough I just saw that on espn.com and then tuned to the beginning of the Kings game. Good luck Sarah!

Apparently the Hawks will need the Rngers to come to town in order to get a regulation win. They cannot score on a PP and cannot kill penalties. I was stunned they tied it with 2 goals in the last two minutes and eventually won in OT.

Richard Panik - current frontrunner for the goal scoring title. Anyone else think that is a bit odd? :lol

Lcsulla 10-22-2016 07:15 PM

Someone on espe goofed too, be rather hard to win 3-0 in OT for Detroit! Check their website text below:

"Howard, Nyquist lead Red Wings over Sharks 3-0

San Jose
Sharks
3-2-1
Final/OT3
Detroit
Red Wings
4-2-0
1 2 3 OT T
SJ 0 0 0 0 0
DET 0 2 1 0 3
Box Score
Play-By-Play"

:lol

TMoore4075 10-23-2016 05:19 AM

They had new rules last night. Endless OT but it wasn't sudden death....

After that 0-2 start Wings looked as bad as they could. Surprised they have won 4 in a row but haven't played any real good teams yet. I'll take it though they've looked much better the last two games for sure. Nice to see Nyquist going after his bad year last year. They've outscore opponets 15-5 in those 4.

barbogast 10-23-2016 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16620499)
They had new rules last night. Endless OT but it wasn't sudden death....

After that 0-2 start Wings looked as bad as they could. Surprised they have won 4 in a row but haven't played any real good teams yet. I'll take it though they've looked much better the last two games for sure. Nice to see Nyquist going after his bad year last year. They've outscore opponets 15-5 in those 4.

Wait, what?

TMoore4075 10-23-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16620506)
Wait, what?

Smart ass response referring to Jamie's ESPN post.

Roose13 10-23-2016 08:32 AM

Flyers can score!

dmbetc 10-23-2016 09:45 AM

Brown had his best game in awhile last night and has been playing well all season. I suspect now that they need a goalie they might bite the bullet and retain some of his salary in an effort to trade him.

We'll see.

barbogast 10-23-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16620514)
Smart ass response referring to Jamie's ESPN post.

:lol :lol shows you how much attention I pay to him!

Dramageek 10-23-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

You should sign up to play goalie!

Also, I love the headline I just saw: "Tim Horton's NHL Heritage Classic delayed due to intermittent sunlight on ice." :lol

mr.MikeD 10-23-2016 12:03 PM

Damn, i'm working at a mine in the frozen north today, missing a good sports day between the Heritage Classic and the US Grand Prix.

Lcsulla 10-23-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16620582)
:lol :lol shows you how much attention I pay to him!

You did when I was cheering for your Caps last year against Philly and Pitt! :)

aeroshady 10-24-2016 04:50 AM

Starting today on top of the division after two wins on the weekend! Not a bad place to be. Overall I have liked what I have seen this year from the Rangers. The team is better in their own zone as well as improved in the neutral zone. The off season moves to get younger are paying off so far as the team looks faster than last year. Maybe the Rangers are not on the drastic decline like everyone assumed they were headed for. Still an 82 game season though.

swordo84 10-24-2016 05:17 AM

First in the league, losers. Haven't been 5-1 since I was 1 yr old ('85/'86 season).

Do I expect this to continue? Of course not. It will however make the 5 game losing streak in Jan/Feb much more tolerable.

aeroshady 10-24-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16620986)
First in the league, losers. Haven't been 5-1 since I was 1 yr old ('85/'86 season).

Do I expect this to continue? Of course not. It will however make the 5 game losing streak in Jan/Feb much more tolerable.

:lol no it doesn't, I tell myself that every year.

lockman21 10-24-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16620986)

So happy for you. You and other Edmonton fans deserve it. You guys are totally crushing it down in the AHL.

TMoore4075 10-24-2016 01:35 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/commodore-takes-sh...river-1.591350

Well that's interesting.