Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 06:44 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphi...-traded-flyers

Thoughts Flyers fans? The Wings stuff I knew but glad it didn't happen. I was 5 and not watching hockey in 88 so I wouldn't have been able to appreciate the great years there. And who knows what the Wings become? Sure it was another 7 years until they were really competitive, 9 until a Cup, but nothing tops that 97 Cup after the heartbreak of 95 and 96.

~Crashintome89~ 08-11-2016 06:51 AM

The Flyers certainly had enough money to pull of the trade, even without comcast in the picture. I don't know why the article says otherwise.

~Crashintome89~ 08-11-2016 06:53 AM

As for the trade, I never heard it before.

I did, however, hear the rumor that Gretzky was headed to the Flyers in '96 after his stint in LA or the Blues. Gretzky and Lindros would have been interesting to say the least.

JRS1386 08-11-2016 06:56 AM

I mean I was 2 when that would have happened so it doesn't really affect me.

lockman21 08-11-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16551038)
So speaking of the play by play, Levy will do it, who else? Bucci? They bringing Doc over? I like Bucci in studio but he's not a good play by play guy, no offense to him. Not that I could do it but he's no Levy, Doc, Strader, Thorne or anyone else I might be missing from the ESPN/ABC days.

https://twitter.com/MsJenNeale_PD/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

There's the team. Or what it was.

barbogast 08-11-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16551177)

A little disappointing.

kev87lads 08-11-2016 07:26 AM

Yeah. That conversation sounds more like a fantasy conversation. I mean, I see that Gretzky said it but it doesn't really sound like it was ever close. He just basically said, "I had a relationship with Mr. Snider, so we talked to them for a minute."

I doubt the Flyers would have won. I mean they essentially made a similar trade for Lindros a few years later. And that didn't work either. Gretzky never won another Cup, right? Once he was traded. So who's to say that would have changed.....

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16551177)

Thanks. Bucci....ugh. Thankfully the USA games is where I'll be more focused.

fonzz41 08-11-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16551038)
So speaking of the play by play, Levy will do it, who else? Bucci? They bringing Doc over? I like Bucci in studio but he's not a good play by play guy, no offense to him. Not that I could do it but he's no Levy, Doc, Strader, Thorne or anyone else I might be missing from the ESPN/ABC days.

I think Bucci could be better if he did it more, if it was more of his focus, y'know? Seems like the potential is there, just needs practice and refining.

I was really bummed to hear about Saunders. He always brought it as a professional. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but as a young kid, I remember the first couple times seeing him do hockey games and thinking, "pssht, this guy won't know hockey. Is he not good enough to do basketball games or something?" I was an idiot and boy was I glad to be proven wrong. A warm, knowledgeable presence who by all accounts was loved by all who worked with him.

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16551202)
Yeah. That conversation sounds more like a fantasy conversation. I mean, I see that Gretzky said it but it doesn't really sound like it was ever close. He just basically said, "I had a relationship with Mr. Snider, so we talked to them for a minute."

I doubt the Flyers would have won. I mean they essentially made a similar trade for Lindros a few years later. And that didn't work either. Gretzky never won another Cup, right? Once he was traded. So who's to say that would have changed.....

That's the thing with me and him with the Wings. If Flyers get Wayne, sure they are better in the short term but they don't get Lindros probably which changes what happens in the mid 90's. Rangers probably get Lindros which changes the Rangers fortunes which those two things could change what happens to other teams. Same goes for the Wings, no Shanny later and maybe they don't draft Fedorov just one year later I mean why?

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 11:02 AM

Uhhhh Matty.......

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:06 AM

I have no idea what is happening right now.

EDIT: Here is the statement, for those interested: https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/...97226216943616

My thoughts forthcoming.

hailtopitt 08-11-2016 11:12 AM

WTF is happening with Roy?!?!

so weird

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:15 AM

Anyone have Bob Hartley's digits?

hailtopitt 08-11-2016 11:17 AM

Roy is citing "lack of input in team's decision-making"

wow

salrx95 08-11-2016 11:18 AM

This breaking news is certainly surprising.

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 11:18 AM

I mean after his first year hasn't done a whole lot but weird to walk away now. I mean you are just realizing now in August that you and the front office don't align? Wouldn't that come up in April, May or June?

JRS1386 08-11-2016 11:24 AM

Wow, some damning words by Roy. Wonder if what he said will hurt the Avs finding a better replacement

hailtopitt 08-11-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16551683)
I mean after his first year hasn't done a whole lot but weird to walk away now. I mean you are just realizing now in August that you and the front office don't align? Wouldn't that come up in April, May or June?

my guess is that there was a move/decision/meeting in the last week or so that ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back

complete guess on my part but that's the only thing i can think of that makes the timing of this make sense

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 11:25 AM

Also he only had one year left on his deal, I wonder if he went into a meeting saying I want an extension and they said you need to earn it this year.

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:26 AM

Putting this into perspective, this will probably end up being a positive. Roy as coach was not working out, that was obvious. Everyone pretty much knew that if something didn't change next season, he was gone. So yeah, it will be a weird time as we scramble to hire a new coach (I was serious about Hartley), but in the end I think this is better.

As for not having more decision-making pull, Roy's situation is different than many HC's in that he was also a VP of player ops, so he was kind of entitled to more in terms of personnel decisions. But even so... things don't go your way so you up and quit? Hmm... we've never had any examples of Patrick Roy doing that before. Screw him.

Hopefully with this clean slate Joe can really take the reins and clean things up.

As for Roy, I'd love to see him take a broadcasting job with NBCSN. Can you imagine him with Milbury and Roenick? :lol

salrx95 08-11-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16551716)
Also he only had one year left on his deal, I wonder if he went into a meeting saying I want an extension and they said you need to earn it this year.

That's probably more inline with what went down. Sounds plausible.

hailtopitt 08-11-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16551717)
Putting this into perspective, this will probably end up being a positive. Roy as coach was not working out, that was obvious. Everyone pretty much knew that if something didn't change next season, he was gone. So yeah, it will be a weird time as we scramble to hire a new coach (I was serious about Hartley), but in the end I think this is better.

As for not having more decision-making pull, Roy's situation is different than many HC's in that he was also a VP of player ops, so he was kind of entitled to more in terms of personnel decisions. But even so... things don't go your way so you up and quit? Hmm... we've never had any examples of Patrick Roy doing that before. Screw him.

Hopefully with this clean slate Joe can really take the reins and clean things up.

As for Roy, I'd love to see him take a broadcasting job with NBCSN. Can you imagine him with Milbury and Roenick? :lol

whoa Matty spitting more venom than i thought

and no, no i can't imagine him with Milbury :lol

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16551709)
Wow, some damning words by Roy. Wonder if what he said will hurt the Avs finding a better replacement

It could, depending on how the Avs (particularly Sakic) handle it publicly. I think it's clear that Sakic has the better reputation in the hockey community. If he handles it with his usual class, I think they'll be alright.

That said, joining an organization where the coach quit in August will certainly give candidates at least a moment of pause.

hailtopitt 08-11-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16551716)

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16551720)
That's probably more inline with what went down. Sounds plausible.

if that's what happened then Roy is really fucking stupid

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16551722)
whoa Matty spitting more venom than i thought

and no, no i can't imagine him with Milbury :lol

Sorry :lol

Obviously I don't know the whole story, but on the surface it just seems like kind of a dick move. I really should reserve judgement, but right now I really don't want to.

TMoore4075 08-11-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16551726)
if that's what happened then Roy is really fucking stupid

You hear coaches always bitching that they don't want to be a lame duck, so wouldn't be totally shocking. I never understood the idea because most players have to play out the contract. The best players get signed with a year left on their current one, but most don't. I think it's stupid for him to do it now in August. Would have been better for him to walk away in April or May when he could...ya know...get a job.

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:45 AM

People on Twitter already talking about bringing Roy to MTL. :lol

fonzz41 08-11-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16551712)
my guess is that there was a move/decision/meeting in the last week or so that ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back

complete guess on my part but that's the only thing i can think of that makes the timing of this make sense

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with Barrie get signed. Didn't seem like Roy was a huge fan of his, and I'm wondering if he was pushing for him to be traded.

barbogast 08-11-2016 11:55 AM

Total dick move from Roy. Completely bizarre timing. There's gotta be more to it than just a trade or something.