Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bartender_man 06-06-2016 05:57 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16451915)
Joel Ward showing why I wanted islanders to sign him. He shows up this time of year.

Love that guy :thumbsup

barbogast 06-06-2016 06:35 AM

Joel Ward was easily the most difficult departure in a while. Nothing to not love about him

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16451388)
Pens did not play great last night and still almost stole that one. That game does that worry me.

A few thoughts:

2ND goal Murray let in was soft. The other two, I don't know how anyone faults him.

What's more frustrate about that second goal is that penalty should've never been 4 mins. I'm still not convinced Thornton was even bleeding, and what makes it worse is Bonino's stick skid up off of Thornton's into his cheek, if he's wearing a visor, no chance that's a 4 min penalty.

Also, that ice was embarrassingly bad last night. How the NHL allows that to happen in a finals series is a joke. I thought they send a guy to each game to keep everything in check?

:thumbsup:thumbsup all of this

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452099)
:thumbsup:thumbsup all of this

I think theyre gonna be more prepared for poor ice conditions tonight, Ian Cole even said so after game 3.

I did learn this morning there was a concert at the SAP Center on Friday night so that probably affected the ice negatively. So hopefully tonight is at least a little better. That slop only benefits SJ.

Lcsulla 06-06-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16451324)
Glad to see SJ has abandoned the idea of trying to outspeed the Pens and are getting back to what they are good at.

Yeah, that is how they can conceivably win this series.

Quote:

2ND goal Murray let in was soft. The other two, I don't know how anyone faults him.

Also, that ice was embarrassingly bad last night. How the NHL allows that to happen in a finals series is a joke. I thought they send a guy to each game to keep everything in check?

Agreed on both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16451915)
Joel Ward showing why I wanted islanders to sign him. He shows up this time of year.

Yeah, he is locked in right now and when you are peaking like that the goal looks huge so you tee up and shoot. Been there in both soccer and hockey where it seems like you can net one from almost anywhere - it is similar to when a batter is dialed in and hitting great, the ball seems to expand and look easier to hit.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 07:37 AM

Officiating again? On a clear-cut (if perhaps strange) rule that if there's blood, it's an additional minor? I guarantee that if that had happened to a Penns player, he's got blood on his face, and the refs DIDN'T call the double minor, Penns fans would be upset. And justifiably so, because whether it's a good rule or not, it's one of the few in the NHL that's pretty cut and dry.

Actual hockey talk: What a phenomenal playoffs Ben Lovejoy is having. Also, Olli Maatta is gradually returning to form and actually had a great Game 3. Good for him. Pens fourth line? Perfect. Exactly what you want from a fourth line.

On the Sharks end, looks like they're finally giving up on trying to match the speed of the Penns and focusing on amping up the physicality to neutralize it. Good plan. Also, Vlasic has been steady freddie in doing about all one can do against Crosby. He and Braun are the Sharks best D-pair right now.

Both goalies are their teams' biggest question mark right now, and that IMO makes it all the more exciting.

Also - Ward clipping his finger nails after he scored the goal. :lol

Great hockey being played.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Pens did not play great last night and still almost stole that one. That game does that worry me.

I thought the Penns had a really good Game 3, just didn't get the win. They certainly made the Sharks work for every inch of ice. :thumbsup

jrkarger 06-06-2016 07:43 AM

I thought that as bad of a penalty as it was to take, Bonino clearly hit him and he was clearly bleeding. NBC showed him by the bench with blood dripping down his cheek.

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452136)
Officiating again? On a clear-cut (if perhaps strange) rule that if there's blood, it's an additional minor? I guarantee that if that had happened to a Penns player, he's got blood on his face, and the refs DIDN'T call the double minor, Penns fans would be upset. And justifiably so, because whether it's a good rule or not, it's one of the few in the NHL that's pretty cut and dry.

Actual hockey talk: What a phenomenal playoffs Ben Lovejoy is having. Also, Olli Maatta is gradually returning to form and actually had a great Game 3. Good for him. Pens fourth line? Perfect. Exactly what you want from a fourth line.

On the Sharks end, looks like they're finally giving up on trying to match the speed of the Penns and focusing on amping up the physicality to neutralize it. Good plan. Also, Vlasic has been steady freddie in doing about all one can do against Crosby. He and Braun are the Sharks best D-pair right now.

Both goalies are their teams' biggest question mark right now, and that IMO makes it all the more exciting.

Also - Ward clipping his finger nails after he scored the goal. :lol

Great hockey being played.

Not complaining about the officiating, to me it didnt look like there was blood, if there was, its an obvious call. The way they have been letting so much go, I was surprised it was 4 mins. Circumstances of it were just frustrating the way bonino's stick slid up, and knowing if he had a visor he definitely wouldnt have been cut, so it wouldve been 2 mins.

Point was almost null and void if it wasnt for Ward's goal with seconds left in the PP.

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452152)
I thought that as bad of a penalty as it was to take, Bonino clearly hit him and he was clearly bleeding. NBC showed him by the bench with blood dripping down his cheek.

Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise. Especially with the way Sullivan was laughing at it, seemed like he was convinced there was no blood either.

jrkarger 06-06-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16452160)
Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise.

Yeah. It opened up by the time he got to the bench.

EDIT: We aren't talking Ric Flair PPV blood here, but it was there unfortunately.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16452160)
Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise. Especially with the way Sullivan was laughing at it, seemed like he was convinced there was no blood either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452164)

EDIT: We aren't talking Ric Flair PPV blood here, but it was there unfortunately.

Yeah, I can see that. If I was Sullivan - a former player - I'd roll my eyes too. It was pretty small. But, blood is blood. Just think, in 10 years when everyone is wearing visors, this will be a non-issue.

I was reading in some hockey book by a former player (Sean Pronger maybe?), about how when he'd get hit in the face, he'd put his hand over it like one does when hit in the face, but all the while furiously biting his lip to get it to bleed so he could get the extra minor. I bet that happens more than we think. :lol

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452198)
Yeah, I can see that. If I was Sullivan - a former player - I'd roll my eyes too. It was pretty small. But, blood is blood. Just think, in 10 years when everyone is wearing visors, this will be a non-issue.

I was reading in some hockey book by a former player (Sean Pronger maybe?), about how when he'd get hit in the face, he'd put his hand over it like one does when hit in the face, but all the while furiously biting his lip to get it to bleed so he could get the extra minor. I bet that happens more than we think. :lol

i don't even think it'll take 10 years for everyone to have visors, will it? it got grandfathered in a while back now

and yea, i'm sure guys bite their lips all the time if the infraction itself doesn't draw blood. i'd do the same thing

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452207)
i don't even think it'll take 10 years for everyone to have visors, will it? it got grandfathered in a while back now

and yea, i'm sure guys bite their lips all the time if the infraction itself doesn't draw blood. i'd do the same thing

You're probably right. I don't know, was just throwing out a number.

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452164)

Maybe we are talking Ric Flair! Did anyone check his gloves? I think he bladed.

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Its funny how there can be such a vast difference between a 3-1 series and a 2-2 one.

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452234)
You're probably right. I don't know, was just throwing out a number.

i honestly don't know. just feels like that rule has been around for a while. i rarely see guys without visors anymore

here are some quick numbers. percent of players with visors by season:

2011-12: 68%
2012-13: 73%

as of november 2015: 89&

those are huge jumps from year to year...and the whole thing about not wearing a visor (besides preference on peripheral vision) is that you are a "fighter" and don't want it to get in the way. well, the fighter is going the way of the Dodo (although too slowly for my liking) which means more visors are popping up

cool article where i got these numbers from:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/v...y-rare-sight2/

Roose13 06-06-2016 08:30 AM

Metallica to play the national anthem before Game 4. Fuck yea!

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:32 AM

but Fonz, you might be right. there's still a 23-year-old who is visorless playing for the Panthers. so if he stays on an NHL roster throughout his prime years, it may be a decade or more until ALL players have visors...but we're going to crack 95% by the end of next year

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452278)
but Fonz, you might be right. there's still a 23-year-old who is visorless playing for the Panthers. so if he stays on an NHL roster throughout his prime years, it may be a decade or more until ALL players have visors...but we're going to crack 95% by the end of next year

Thanks for the stats. I knew the year over year adoption of visors was pretty dramatic, but those numbers are telling.

I finally went to one this year and FWIW, it only took about 2 periods to get used to it. Obviously I'm not a player and not quite as particular about what works for me. But even so, not that big a deal. You're also right about the correlation between more visors and decreased fighting/fighters.

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452292)
Thanks for the stats. I knew the year over year adoption of visors was pretty dramatic, but those numbers are telling.

I finally went to one this year and FWIW, it only took about 2 periods to get used to it. Obviously I'm not a player and not quite as particular about what works for me. But even so, not that big a deal. You're also right about the correlation between more visors and decreased fighting/fighters.

now, i've never played competitive ice hockey, but it was hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want a visor. i get the whole peripheral vision thing, i do, but isn't keeping an eye more important?

i've always been very skeezed out byt things near my eyes. i hate it. and a stick to the eye sounds like the worst thing in the world

plus, i remember reading somewhere about how Oakley has made great strides (in football, hockey & skiing especially) with visor technology

i'll try to find the article but basically it said that Oakley visors are dimming arena and stadium lights while still making the field of play bright and clear and offering eye protection. good stuff

unccrombie 06-06-2016 08:47 AM

I'd be all for on ice glare reduction

Roose13 06-06-2016 08:49 AM

I've never really had an opinion on the visor thing in the past as a player (mainly because I was a goalie) but I lean more toward it being a necessity, especially after seeing Chris Pronger's career end the way it did.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452305)
now, i've never played competitive ice hockey, but it was hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want a visor. i get the whole peripheral vision thing, i do, but isn't keeping an eye more important?

i've always been very skeezed out byt things near my eyes. i hate it. and a stick to the eye sounds like the worst thing in the world

plus, i remember reading somewhere about how Oakley has made great strides (in football, hockey & skiing especially) with visor technology

i'll try to find the article but basically it said that Oakley visors are dimming arena and stadium lights while still making the field of play bright and clear and offering eye protection. good stuff

Quick clarifying point. In my post I said I wasn't a player. Meant to say "pro" player.

And yeah, the reason I started wearing one was "why not"? It can only protect me, and with minimal intrusion. Mrs. Fonzz has been bugging me for years to get one, and she's right for doing so. Haven't stuck one on my red helmet yet, but that's only because I have one and it's on my playing helmet.

Cool to hear the technology has come so far.

TMoore4075 06-06-2016 01:04 PM

So since only have the offseason to look forward to, Radulov is supposedly wanting 7.5mil per year.....no thanks. Not that I wanted him before but Matty, your team can have him.

Dreger also was saying, looks like Wings should be able to move Datsyuk's contract but will have to include something with it...duh. one was you'd have to include Jurco or Pulkkinen. If you could guarantee me Stamkos then I'd give up one of those guys to move Pavel's contract but if you can't get a big UFA or trade asset here, I wouldn't give one of those guys up. It's one year at 7.5mil for Pavel and if you can't get any high-end talent this offseason, then no reason to rid yourself of the cap hi.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16452798)
So since only have the offseason to look forward to, Radulov is supposedly wanting 7.5mil per year.....no thanks. Not that I wanted him before but Matty, your team can have him.

Signing him for that kind of money (actually, signing him, period) would displease me greatly. There's just so many other needs. If he were willing to take a one year bridge deal to see how it works out, then I might sing a different song.

But at the same time, can't blame him and his agent for wanting to capitalize on a non-thrifty NHL that's handing out contracts like that.

TMoore4075 06-06-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452827)
Signing him for that kind of money (actually, signing him, period) would displease me greatly. There's just so many other needs. If he were willing to take a one year bridge deal to see how it works out, then I might sing a different song.

But at the same time, can't blame him and his agent for wanting to capitalize on a non-thrifty NHL that's handing out contracts like that.

The first rumors were 4-5mil on a one year deal for the Wings. Still wasn't crazy about that but much more livable. One year at 7.5? No way and two years is for sure no. I understand going for it but dang dude, setting your sights high I guess.

barbogast 06-06-2016 01:28 PM

Radulov thinks he's a 7.5 million guy?? :lol :lol wow

I predict that experiment will fail. I hope he lands nowhere near my team. You guys can have him

barbogast 06-06-2016 03:31 PM

http://i.giphy.com/xT8qBaHxqi1AhoOPg4.gif

Dramageek 06-06-2016 04:02 PM

James Hetfield being awkwardly interviewed on NHL Live is gold!

Dramageek 06-06-2016 05:35 PM

Ian Cole?! Ian Cole! Big assist by Uncle Phil.