Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 12-17-2014 10:26 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15722497)
this mumps thing is getting bad for the pens. they're testing fleury, bortuzzo, and maatta now. the worst part? a bunch of these players went to a childrens hospital a week or so ago and may have infected these kids.

That's the scary part. The kids who didn't get vaccinated were put into isolation.

The Islanders and 2 other teams cancelled their upcoming Christmas hospital visits as a precaution even though no islander even has a symptom.

hailtopitt 12-17-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15722651)
Then find a way to win it in regulation. It's done in the playoffs, where fatigue and injuries are more detrimental to the team. I don't like ties and I don't mind shootouts, but would rather a 4v4, then a 5 min 3v3 type deal.

It could make for some long games..but (and I know comparing different sports to hockey is silly) baseball does it. They have long ass games and turn around and play the next day.

in principle, i agree, find a way to win in regulation

i'm just saying that i don't mind the shootout, i only wish all games were worth the same amount of points. that skews the point totals more than the shootout itself IMO

and sure, baseball does it, but the wear & tear of baseball is basically nothing compared to hockey games (except for maybe catcher)

jrkarger 12-17-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15722562)
They NHL could make it better overall with a different point system.

How would you change the point system?

unccrombie 12-17-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15722703)
in principle, i agree, find a way to win in regulation

i'm just saying that i don't mind the shootout, i only wish all games were worth the same amount of points. that skews the point totals more than the shootout itself IMO

and sure, baseball does it, but the wear & tear of baseball is basically nothing compared to hockey games (except for maybe catcher)

so you're saying to get rid of the 1pt system?

hailtopitt 12-17-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15722842)
so you're saying to get rid of the 1pt system?

in basic terms, yes

unccrombie 12-17-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15722853)
in basic terms, yes

I think the mentality of "all or nothing" when a shootout determination is in play kind of sucks. if you were to lose in the 3v3/4v4 section of OT then I'm in agreement you should get 0 pts.

jrkarger 12-17-2014 12:43 PM

The point for an OTL was introduced in order to eliminate any incentive to play for a tie. The old points system was 2 points for a win and one point for a tie. Teams would just skate around in OT and not do anything and play for the point rather risk losing a point.

Now, the criticism is too many SOs. Eliminating the OTL point would in a similar way eliminate the incentive to play through OT and get to the SO. IMO, if, as you said, teams wouldn't want to risk losing two points in a SO, they'd play not to get to the SO; i.e. win in OT or regulation.

~Crashintome89~ 12-17-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15722497)
this mumps thing is getting bad for the pens. they're testing fleury, bortuzzo, and maatta now. the worst part? a bunch of these players went to a childrens hospital a week or so ago and may have infected these kids.

what a bunch of assholes

TMoore4075 12-18-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15722570)
i guess where we really differ is that i hate ties, i'm glad they're gone

i guess i wouldn't hate 3v3 but adding more than an extra 5 mins on top of the 60 in regulation is where injuries start creeping up and fatigue starts bleeding into upcoming games for teams that have a long stretch of OTs

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15722651)
Then find a way to win it in regulation. It's done in the playoffs, where fatigue and injuries are more detrimental to the team. I don't like ties and I don't mind shootouts, but would rather a 4v4, then a 5 min 3v3 type deal.

It could make for some long games..but (and I know comparing different sports to hockey is silly) baseball does it. They have long ass games and turn around and play the next day.

When went into the 04-05 lockout, we all knew the shootout was coming after it and I remember thinking just try for a few years 10 minutes of 4on4. It wouldn't add much more time than a shootout, especially that fucking 20 rounder the other night, and we could see how it goes. I never felt 5 minutes was long enough. Was better 4on4 than 5on5 but with the time between period 3 and OT it felt like they the start of a period and at 4 minutes just started to get their legs moving again.

They won't go indefinite and I don't blame them. Injuries aside, it could go forever and fans won't want to stay for game 15 of 82 until 1am. A lot of fans don't stay for the baseball games that go late.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 15722789)
How would you change the point system?

We talked about it earlier yesterday. 3 points for a regulation or OT win. 2 points for a SO win and 1 point for an OT or SO loss. It should push you to win playing real hockey and it also makes winning a hockey, game playing hockey, worth more. Now it only matters if you are tied in points, if you have more ROW's. League won't do this, because the current way helps to keep teams closer in the standings for those late game in Apirl. BUT I remember reading an article somewhere that it really woudln't separate them that much, so you'd still have the close standings later in the year. Maybe not quite as close but late games would still mean something. But at least winning a game without a shootout would be worth more.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 15722878)
The point for an OTL was introduced in order to eliminate any incentive to play for a tie. The old points system was 2 points for a win and one point for a tie. Teams would just skate around in OT and not do anything and play for the point rather risk losing a point.

Now, the criticism is too many SOs. Eliminating the OTL point would in a similar way eliminate the incentive to play through OT and get to the SO. IMO, if, as you said, teams wouldn't want to risk losing two points in a SO, they'd play not to get to the SO; i.e. win in OT or regulation.

To your first part, yes. OT used to suck real bad. I don't fault the teams for this, you didn't want to lose those points.

To your second part, in theory it might but when it didn't, you are making a SO worth as much as a regulation win. That's my biggest problem. I hate the shootouts and didn't mind ties, but I understand shootouts are here to stay. So if that's the case, make ROW's worth more.

BUT as we all know, that won't happen and getting rid of the 1 point for OT/SO loss, won't either. We'll have probably 4 minutes of 4on4 and 4 minutes of 3on3 I think is what they've said. I think it should be 5 and 5 but that's neither here nor there.

jrkarger 12-18-2014 06:47 AM

The 3-2-1 system is a fair compromise. I still don't like it because you are giving points to a loser. That's worse than premiere league or world cup soccer IMO; and I like EPL, UCL, and WC. Yes, it makes a regulation worth more but it will still skew the OT games in the same way it is now.

Say you are in a points race and with another team. You win in OT or SO and get two points. The other team on the same night loses in OT or SO and closes the gap on you by a point. That's a problem IMO. The incentive to "get to the SO" is still there.

I guess no system aside from the playoff system of OT is perfect. But, we all agree that can't work over an 82 game season. I don't like ties from a fan's perspective unless your team gets the tying goal in the closing moments; then it's ok and feels like a win (sort of). Anyway, I totally understand why the NHL instituted the SO and I still think its a tool to enhance appeal rather than not.

For the record, I think 3v3 hockey is absolute circus like lunacy. Would actually prefer ties.

hailtopitt 12-18-2014 06:49 AM

yea 3v3 is sooooo gimmicky

but so is the shootout so who knows

Rebecca De Mornay 12-18-2014 07:20 AM

anyone want to go to the CBJ/Caps game with me tonight? have 2 extra tickets.

~Crashintome89~ 12-18-2014 07:38 AM

three on three would be amazing. I'm pretty sure they would end within three minutes at the NHL level.

TMoore4075 12-18-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 15723850)
The 3-2-1 system is a fair compromise. I still don't like it because you are giving points to a loser. That's worse than premiere league or world cup soccer IMO; and I like EPL, UCL, and WC. Yes, it makes a regulation worth more but it will still skew the OT games in the same way it is now.

Say you are in a points race and with another team. You win in OT or SO and get two points. The other team on the same night loses in OT or SO and closes the gap on you by a point. That's a problem IMO. The incentive to "get to the SO" is still there.

I guess no system aside from the playoff system of OT is perfect. But, we all agree that can't work over an 82 game season. I don't like ties from a fan's perspective unless your team gets the tying goal in the closing moments; then it's ok and feels like a win (sort of). Anyway, I totally understand why the NHL instituted the SO and I still think its a tool to enhance appeal rather than not.

For the record, I think 3v3 hockey is absolute circus like lunacy. Would actually prefer ties.

You are right, it still sort of gives you an incentive to get to a shootout. The one idea, not from here, was 3 points for regulation but 2 for OT/SO win and I didn't like that at all. Sorry, OT win should not be worth as much as a SO. So it still does incentify SO but you can argue it pushes to win in OT if you are playing a team that you are fighting for positioning with. There is no perfect system except for endless OT which doesn't work in the season. Plus I like the fact we have to wait for the awesomeness that is continuous OT in the playoffs.

As stated, was never against ties. I looked at it as part of the game and didn't like the idea of shootouts, it's not a damn tournament, so I didn't care. Would rather leave with a tie rather than a SO loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15724024)
three on three would be amazing. I'm pretty sure they would end within three minutes at the NHL level.

I'm for 3on3 if it helps end shootouts. If the AHL trial is still the same % as early in the season, it had cut them down quite a bit. Gimmicky? Yes but yes so is the SO.

It could be fun and crazy but it's still hockey...well more-so then a SO. Plus there would be strategy to it. Do you put out two D and a forward? Or do you go 2 forwards and one D to try and get more offense?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15723955)
anyone want to go to the CBJ/Caps game with me tonight? have 2 extra tickets.

If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd consider it. Could be there in 3 hours.

TMoore4075 12-18-2014 10:22 AM

With the Wings sucking so bad in the shootouts there was actually an article about the 3on3 and what the stats are in games.

"14.66 percent of all games through Wednesday have been decided in a shootout, compared to 14.47 percent in 2013-14.

In the AHL, only 5.6 percent of all games have been decided in a shootout. That's because the league expanded OT to seven minutes, including up to four minutes of three-on-three play. They play four-on-four until the first stoppage after three minutes and then go to three-on-three."

The article doesn't give stats for how many games that went to OT are decided in OT compared to going to a SO but does give the AHL stats for this year compared to last. 75% of the games that go to OT have been decided in OT compared to 35% last year. Sounds positive to me.

fonzz41 12-18-2014 11:46 AM

I love that Neal got fined for diving. $2k is nothing for him, but the publicity around it probably makes him feel a bit bashful.

hailtopitt 12-18-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15724503)
I love that Neal got fined for diving. $2k is nothing for him, but the publicity around it probably makes him feel a bit bashful.

pens v avs tonight dude!

can't wait to see Mckinnon in person

fonzz41 12-18-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15724509)
pens v avs tonight dude!

can't wait to see Mckinnon in person

If you could slap him upside the head for me, that would be great.

Not too hard. Just jar him a little.

hailtopitt 12-18-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15724518)
If you could slap him upside the head for me, that would be great.

Not too hard. Just jar him a little.

no way i'm getting that close to the ice

don't want the mumps

TMoore4075 12-18-2014 01:18 PM

Saw this and just wanted to post it:

@NHLhistorygirl
On this date in 1983, #Oilers Wayne Gretzky scored his 100th point of the #NHL season.

Amazing.

lockman21 12-18-2014 01:26 PM

Viktor Stahlberg placed on waivers today by the Preds.

Remember when a certain someone in this thread was trashing Q because Stalberg was a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

TMoore4075 12-18-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15724749)
Viktor Stahlberg placed on waivers today by the Preds.

Remember when a certain someone in this thread was trashing Q because Stalberg was a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

Fucking Matty. :D

fonzz41 12-18-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15724781)
Fucking Matty. :D

Yes please.

dmbetc 12-19-2014 12:00 AM

What a game tonight. I'll never get tired of watching Blues vs Kings. Was 3-0 Blues. Kings won 6-4. 11th straight home win against the Blues (including playoffs) AND (this ones the best) in the last two games at Staples, Brodeur has let in TWELEVE goals. What a fun game. These teams hate each other.

Watch the highlights from the game, you won't be disappointed!

aeroshady 12-19-2014 07:33 AM

^ I'm disappointed every time the Kings win :p

Home and home with Carolina could really put the Rangers in good shape!

Hope they keep it going.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-19-2014 07:34 AM

crazy game last night.

washington dominated in the 1st.
cbj dominated in the 2nd which was a blood bath with at least 4 fights.
cbj blew two leads in the 3rd and then lost in OT.

fun game to be at tho.

i really hope they don't end up moving CBJ back to the west, they are really starting to get some good rivalries with NYR, Washington, PIT, Boston etc. the atmosphere around the club is totally different.

aeroshady 12-19-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15725340)
crazy game last night.

washington dominated in the 1st.
cbj dominated in the 2nd which was a blood bath with at least 4 fights.
cbj blew two leads in the 3rd and then lost in OT.

fun game to be at tho.

i really hope they don't end up moving CBJ back to the west, they are really starting to get some good rivalries with NYR, Washington, PIT, Boston etc. the atmosphere around the club is totally different.

We have a rivalry with Columbus?? News to us!

That said, I convinced a friend of mine to become a Blue Jackets fan last night! He bought a hat on Amazon right after lol.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-19-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15725349)
We have a rivalry with Columbus?? News to us!

That said, I convinced a friend of mine to become a Blue Jackets fan last night! He bought a hat on Amazon right after lol.

:lol nice!

you don't think there's a rivalry? with all of the guys that have been traded between the two teams? nash punching Bob last year?

hailtopitt 12-19-2014 07:40 AM

CBJ & rivalry in the same sentence :lol

i've seen it all!

Rebecca De Mornay 12-19-2014 07:50 AM

when did penguins fans start acting like they're from boston?