Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 07-17-2013 08:16 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Sorry for your loss man. Let us know if there is anything we can do to cheer you up via Antsmarching.org Hockey chat!

bonzo48280 07-17-2013 08:18 AM

Sorry about to hear this Matty. Hugs hugs

swordo84 07-17-2013 08:20 AM

My condolences to you and your family Matt.

~Crashintome89~ 07-17-2013 09:06 AM

Matty, my man--may the Foote be with you during this difficult time.

fonzz41 07-17-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14730414)
:hug :hug Matty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 14730503)
Sorry for your loss man. Let us know if there is anything we can do to cheer you up via Antsmarching.org Hockey chat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14730505)
Sorry about to hear this Matty. Hugs hugs

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14730511)
My condolences to you and your family Matt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14730651)
Matty, my man--may the Foote be with you during this difficult time.

Thanks all, it is very much appreciated! Nice to know you've got my back. Just like the Foote.

Just to circle this back around to hockey, he knew nothing of the sport when I married into the family (he was a good ol' Idaho farmer), but he was a quick learner and came around. Whenever I was over he made sure he had the NHL channels ordered on his cable program, and I got to control the remote. DJ and our other Boston boys, you'd be happy to hear he was going for the Bruins this year.

fonzz41 07-17-2013 10:48 AM

Michelle Kenneth ‏@MichelleKenneth 1h Just say "we gave you Kovalchuk, now give us Snowden" and we'll be ok.

:lol

TMoore4075 07-17-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14730858)
DJ and our other Boston boys, you'd be happy to hear he was going for the Bruins this year.

Poor man.

Roose13 07-17-2013 11:43 AM

Much love to you, Matt :hug I'm sorry buddy

aeroshady 07-17-2013 01:48 PM

So I drove by Barclay's Center in Brooklyn last weekend. Looks like a really nice venue from the outside. Probably a good move for the Islanders and their fans. I imagine it will increase their fan base.

There is going to be a preseason game there this year between the Islanders and the Devils too. I may just have to check that out when tickets go on sale. I am so lucky to have so many options for hockey around me here. Now three arenas reasonably close to me and Philly is not far away either!

lockman21 07-17-2013 02:07 PM

Much love Matty. Hope you, your wife and kids are all doing OK. :hug

Hopefully this makes you feel better. Epic interview around the 10 minute mark:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/1...in-was-traded/

Roose13 07-17-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14731539)

I listened to the whole thing leading up to the 10 minute mark. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything or else I would have needed a new lap top. That is amazing.

dmbetc 07-17-2013 02:56 PM

Looks like Dustin is an LA boy for awhile. You heard it here first, folks. :)

fonzz41 07-17-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14731122)
Much love to you, Matt :hug I'm sorry buddy

Quote:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

And oh man, did it ever make me feel better! The little black thingy... :lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14731654)

We love you, Sarah. So, so much.

dmbetc 07-17-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

"I thought Dallas was like a football state." :lol

Good god this does not help the image of female hockey fans.

Roose13 07-17-2013 03:13 PM

Wish I was a Kings blogger, Sarah ;):lol:lol

Roose13 07-17-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14731677)
"I thought Dallas was like a football state." :lol

Good god this does not help the image of female hockey fans.

Wait until you get to the little black thingy

dmbetc 07-17-2013 03:13 PM

What are some sites that you guys use for hockey news?

dmbetc 07-17-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14731684)
Wait until you get to the little black thingy

That was a literal hand to the forehead moment.

Roose13 07-17-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14731685)
What are some sites that you guys use for hockey news?

I use Twitter for breaks, NHL.com for league news and CSNPhilly.com for Flyers news.

And then of course I hope that those who don't like hearing from the Flyers beat writers would like to get their news from myself and my team on TCL. Once in awhile I get people commenting on our FB/Twitter saying they prefer us or Broad Street Hockey over Miller/Panatch/Carchidi/etc.

aeroshady 07-17-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14731654)

:thumbsup Cool news!!

TMoore4075 07-17-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14731675)
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

And oh man, did it ever make me feel better! The little black thingy... :lol
We love you, Sarah. So, so much.

And are jealous at the same time.

fonzz41 07-17-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14731748)
And are jealous at the same time.

Insanely jealous.

Sarah, to answer your question about sites:
- Twitter for most breaking news. Major news will link to sites, but I don't really play favorites as long as the source is trusted. Follow LeBrun, Dreger, McKenzie, a few others.

- www.thn.com (The Hockey News). Not always the fastest with their information and I dislike most of their columnists, but they have probably the best database out there for rosters, transactions, current/former players and where they are currently playing, stats, depth charts, etc.

- espn.com. I know, I know. But I love the columnists ESPN has recruited. LeBrun is one of the best insiders out there, Bucci is a freaking poet of the game (one of my favorite hockey writers EVER... and his normal job is as a sportscaster!), and Burnside is quirky but knows his stuff. And of course, the Mullet himself.

TMoore4075 07-17-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14731780)
Insanely jealous.

Sarah, to answer your question about sites:
- Twitter for most breaking news. Major news will link to sites, but I don't really play favorites as long as the source is trusted. Follow LeBrun, Dreger, McKenzie, a few others.

- www.thn.com (The Hockey News). Not always the fastest with their information and I dislike most of their columnists, but they have probably the best database out there for rosters, transactions, current/former players and where they are currently playing, stats, depth charts, etc.

- espn.com. I know, I know. But I love the columnists ESPN has recruited. LeBrun is one of the best insiders out there, Bucci is a freaking poet of the game (one of my favorite hockey writers EVER... and his normal job is as a sportscaster!), and Burnside is quirky but knows his stuff. And of course, the Mullet himself.

And for good insight in stuff with video, TSN.ca.

dmbetc 07-17-2013 05:09 PM

I mainly use twitter as well, but was looking for some good reads.

Roose13 07-17-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 14731896)
I mainly use twitter as well, but was looking for some good reads.

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com ;)

~Crashintome89~ 07-17-2013 06:34 PM

John, you ignorant slut.

Roose13 07-17-2013 06:43 PM

You just wish you were as awesome as me.

dmbetc 07-17-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14732257)
You just wish you were as awesome as me.

http://youtu.be/OYws8biwOYc

kev87lads 07-17-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14732063)

She said good reads.

Oh snap!!!!

lockman21 07-17-2013 08:39 PM

Sarah,

Check out thefourthperiod.com as well. They have some good stuff along with Matty's suggestions of ESPN/TSN. Pretty decent for rumors, etc.

AVOID HOCKEYBUZZ LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's honestly not even worth the bandwidth it takes up. I avoid going there just because I don't want to give his website hits. It's idiotic stabs in the dark.

Also, I want to link this ESPN insider article on why Kovalchuk's departure is even more costly than it appears on the surface. Greenberg does a good job of putting into words how much this really hurt the Devils. Kovy was/is a top 10 talent. I feel so bad for NJ, especially since their first round pick they forfeited to sign him comes after this year, when they very well could be the worst team in the league (losing a good chance at the #1 overall pick, which could be used to replace Kovy, stings so badly). Kovy cost them Clarkson, Parise, 2 first round picks, a second round pick, a third round pick, a $3 million fine, Johnny Oduya, and a 12 year $250,000 empty cap hit. FUUUUUUCK THAT.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Roose13 07-17-2013 08:44 PM

TFP is a good choice

DmBand801 07-17-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14732223)
John, you ignorant slut.

:lol:lol:lol

DmBand801 07-17-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14732616)
Sarah,

Check out thefourthperiod.com as well. They have some good stuff along with Matty's suggestions of ESPN/TSN. Pretty decent for rumors, etc.

AVOID HOCKEYBUZZ LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's honestly not even worth the bandwidth it takes up. I avoid going there just because I don't want to give his website hits. It's idiotic stabs in the dark.

Also, I want to link this ESPN insider article on why Kovalchuk's departure is even more costly than it appears on the surface. Greenberg does a good job of putting into words how much this really hurt the Devils. Kovy was/is a top 10 talent. I feel so bad for NJ, especially since their first round pick they forfeited to sign him comes after this year, when they very well could be the worst team in the league (losing a good chance at the #1 overall pick, which could be used to replace Kovy, stings so badly). Kovy cost them Clarkson, Parise, 2 first round picks, a second round pick, a third round pick, a $3 million fine, Johnny Oduya, and a 12 year $250,000 empty cap hit. FUUUUUUCK THAT.

I don't agree with this article for a number of reasons:

1. To say that Parise left because of Kovalchuk is unknown. We may never know. The Devils offered Parise a very healthy 12 year/90 million contract before he spurned them for the Wild so that he could play alongside Suter. Parise was a goner the minute he signed a one year deal in the summer of 2011.

Parise wanted to test the UFA waters all along. He was approached several times by Lamoriello about a long term deal and rejected engaging in talks.

2. The Devils are not going to have a lottery draft pick this year. Trust me. The goaltending is too good to pile up 45+ losses, and they have four or five guys on the forward front that can log 20+ goals potentially.

3. To reaffirm point #2, the Devils have never been a franchise player organization. It's always been about guys who work together, and a coaching staff that rolls four lines all season long. Look at the point production of guys on Devils teams from 1995-2005. 55+ points normally led the group, and it led to many division titles and playoff appearances.

4. Letting Clarkson walk was smart. The Devils made a fair offer to him at the draft, and he spurned them too, while letting his agent take some parting shots along the way at the organization. Mark my words; Ryane Clowe will have a better season than David Clarkson.

/rant

/homerism (maybe?)

lockman21 07-17-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 14732652)

1. To say that Parise left because of Kovalchuk is unknown. We may never know. The Devils offered Parise a very healthy 12 year/90 million contract before he spurned them for the Wild so that he could play alongside Suter. Parise was a goner the minute he signed a one year deal in the summer of 2011.

Parise wanted to test the UFA waters all along. He was approached several times by Lamoriello about a long term deal and rejected engaging in talks.

2. The Devils are not going to have a lottery draft pick this year. Trust me. The goaltending is too good to pile up 45+ losses, and they have four or five guys on the forward front that can log 20+ goals potentially.

3. To reaffirm point #2, the Devils have never been a franchise player organization. It's always been about guys who work together, and a coaching staff that rolls four lines all season long. Look at the point production of guys on Devils teams from 1995-2005. 55+ points normally led the group, and it led to many division titles and playoff appearances.

4. Letting Clarkson walk was smart. The Devils made a fair offer to him at the draft, and he spurned them too, while letting his agent take some parting shots along the way at the organization. Mark my words; Ryane Clowe will have a better season than David Clarkson.

/rant

/homerism (maybe?)

1) Healthy? Yes, but not as healthy as the Wild offered him. They gave him another year and another $8 million. Who knows, but it certainly didn't help give them all the leverage they wanted. Yes, hindsight partially makes it look like Parise was going to Minnesota no matter what, but without Kovy, who knows what would have happened. MacLean would more than likely be there, that's for sure. Maybe it would have swayed Parise. There's no way of knowing, you're right, but it certainly didn't help.

2) Goaltending is too good? Tell that to Buffalo. They have a top 3 (in my opinion) talent between the pipes, and are continually awful. They had more front end talent last year than NJ does this year as well. Vanek, Stafford, Ott, Enis, Pominville (partially)...all them can move the puck. Granted the Sabres blue line is atrocious, but still...gone are the days of goalies making and breaking a team. I'm of the belief that Schneider is not nearly as good as people think he is, but that's just a personal opinion. The great Marty is going to have to start to decline eventually (although he's obviously seemed ageless to this point). I don't know, I don't buy the goaltending argument (no offense). I'm not a big goaltender guy, though. I don't believe they're that valuable in today's NHL.

3) 2013-2014 NHL is a completely different game from 1995-2005, my friend. It don't work that way anymore.

4) That's a strong statement. For your sake, I hope you're right.

Anyway, I don't want to seem like a hater or anything. I hope the Devils work out well, I just don't see it. They have absolutely 0 ability to put the puck in the net, and aren't as strong defensively as say...the Preds, to make it work by winning defensively. It'll be interesting, but I'm picking them to finish last in the East. Sorry, my friend. I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

DmBand801 07-17-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14732680)
1) Healthy? Yes, but not as healthy as the Wild offered him. They gave him another year and another $8 million. Who knows, but it certainly didn't help give them all the leverage they wanted. Yes, hindsight partially makes it look like Parise was going to Minnesota no matter what, but without Kovy, who knows what would have happened. MacLean would more than likely be there, that's for sure. Maybe it would have swayed Parise. There's no way of knowing, you're right, but it certainly didn't help.

2) Goaltending is too good? Tell that to Buffalo. They have a top 3 (in my opinion) talent between the pipes, and are continually awful. They had more front end talent last year than NJ does this year as well. Vanek, Stafford, Ott, Enis, Pominville (partially)...all them can move the puck. Granted the Sabres blue line is atrocious, but still...gone are the days of goalies making and breaking a team. I'm of the belief that Schneider is not nearly as good as people think he is, but that's just a personal opinion. The great Marty is going to have to start to decline eventually (although he's obviously seemed ageless to this point). I don't know, I don't buy the goaltending argument (no offense). I'm not a big goaltender guy, though. I don't believe they're that valuable in today's NHL.

3) 2013-2014 NHL is a completely different game from 1995-2005, my friend. It don't work that way anymore.

4) That's a strong statement. For your sake, I hope you're right.

Anyway, I don't want to seem like a hater or anything. I hope the Devils work out well, I just don't see it. They have absolutely 0 ability to put the puck in the net, and aren't as strong defensively as say...the Preds, to make it work by winning defensively. It'll be interesting, but I'm picking them to finish last in the East. Sorry, my friend. I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

Valid points all around. Counter point (lolz):

1. Regarding MacLean, there was no way he would have lasted with/without Kovalchuk. He literally had no system in place. The group was doomed from training camp under him. Lemaire's quote when he came in to relieve MacLean was that "We have a lot of work to do. The players are out of shape and look like they have forgotten how to play the game." Amazing, isn't it?

2. Miller in the top 3? Above Quick, Rinne and Lundqvist?

3. I'm not going to lie; letting Parise and Kovalchuk leave for nothing in return hurts immensely. But, if the Devils add Brunner and say, Mason Raymond, they will have a decent four lines that they could roll with 20 goal potential all around. They'll still probably be streaky, but I have faith that Schneider posts a .925 (or better) save % this year, and the Devils won't be the worst team in the east. Don't forget about the Florida Panthers either when you think about that -- their traveling sure gets shittier being in a division with all of those teams north of the border.

4. I know you said you're not sold on Schneider, but let's consider this: The Canucks coaching staff had more faith in an injured Schneider against SJ this year than a healthy Luongo. That speaks volumes.

lockman21 07-17-2013 10:19 PM

Playing devil's advocate - Schneider over Luongo might have been as much politics as anything. Just sayin'.

And yes, adding Brunner would be nice for them. Maybe they even land Vanek in the offseason, who knows? But the point we're straying from is the article, which is that Kovy was probably the most costly single player in NHL history. What he did was unprecedented. The damage he caused can't be counted, both past, present and future. It's extreme.

And just to answer the question, yes, Miller is top 3 in my book, when talking pure talent. Quick, Hank and Miller. Those are my top 3.

Bron Yr Aur 07-17-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14732701)
Playing devil's advocate - Schneider over Luongo might have been as much politics as anything. Just sayin'.

And yes, adding Brunner would be nice for them. Maybe they even land Vanek in the offseason, who knows? But the point we're straying from is the article, which is that Kovy was probably the most costly single player in NHL history. What he did was unprecedented. The damage he caused can't be counted, both past, present and future. It's extreme.

And just to answer the question, yes, Miller is top 3 in my book, when talking pure talent. Quick, Hank and Miller. Those are my top 3.

Your overstatement of this "damage" is what is extreme, Chris.

Yes it hurts them for sure over the next few years.

However, in a few of years Kovy probably would have one of the worst contracts in the NHL and his large cap hit would hurt the Devils' chances to consistently fill out the roster (though we will see down the road, depends on how much cap goes up) with quality. And if he retired in a few more years, the cap hit recapture would be significantly more damaging.

Yeah I'm not sure why you sign that huge deal (though not really his fault he did not know at the time the Devils would lose picks) with the intent of leaving later.

Still, this gives the Devils a ton of flexibility going forward.

lockman21 07-17-2013 10:35 PM

Just stop.

TMoore4075 07-18-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14732616)
Sarah,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 14732652)

/rant

/homerism (maybe?)

I don't think it cost them Parise at all. Minny was home and they gave him the chance to play with Suter. If Suter said "Hey I want to play in Detroit, or stay in Nashville." I think he ends up back in Jersey. If it was just about the money for Parise he would have gone even somewhere else cause he was offered over 100mil by a few teams if I remember correctly. The Wild gave him good money, home and his bromance with Suter to continue.

As for a lottery pick...I dunno man. They'll have the goaltending but not a lot of offense. Or offence for our friends to the north. Detroit, Boston, Sens, Caps, Pens and I think Rangers are teams I'd say have the best chance at the playoffs minus crazy injuries to any of them. So that leaves only 2 spots left for the Leafs, Isles, Habs (all playoff teams last year) Devils and Jackets. Gonna be tough to get into the playoffs. I'd say the Floreast Division has the best chance at getting 5 teams in. So they can get in but it'll be real tough.

Clarkson was gone anyways. He kept turning the Devils down and it sure seemed like he wanted TO from the start. Hell he seemed more of a lock to leave than Parise a year ago, at least to me.

TMoore4075 07-18-2013 06:00 AM

So are we gonna get the schedule today finally? Looks like the FLA one leaked. I need something. Not a lot of offseason stuff going on right now. Whenever we do get the schedule we'll finally get the division names. I'm very curious about the Detroit, Boston, Montreal, FLA division name. They said they'd stick with regional but I'm not quite sure how you do with that one. In all honesty the Jackets aren't really close to the Atlantic though either but that would still be my guess for that division name.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 07:22 AM

I enjoyed reading your debate, Chris and Ant. Wish I'd read it sooner so I could've chimed in, but I think between the two of you all the points were covered.

I'm still on the fence with this one. By all accounts, the Devils should not be a great team this year. I know they've got plenty of "potential" 20 goal scorers, but look no farther than Alexander Daigle for a discussion on the value of "potential". The defense really is not great, and Marty cannot keep this up forever (or CAN he??). I don't agree with Chris (shocker) in the sense that I am a believer in Schneider as a #1 goalie in this league, but I do agree with him that goaltending isn't what it used to be in terms of the overall team dynamic. The Sabres example he used is absolutely perfect. Miller is top 5, and Enroth is perhaps THE most underrated backup in the league (and let's not forget Matt Hackett at #3, who could be a #2 on a number of teams), yet the Sabres continue to be unsuccessful.

On the other hand, Ant is completely right about the Devils and their team-oriented culture. They win by committee and always have. But can they with this roster? I hope so. It would be a cool story and a perfect "eff you" moment to Kovalchuk.

Man, I would love to see every team in the league rally around NJD and refuse to sign Kovy when he decides to come back. Won't ever happen (Flyers will give him 8/80), but it would be awesome. :lol

TMoore4075 07-18-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14733288)
Man, I would love to see every team in the league rally around NJD and refuse to sign Kovy when he decides to come back. Won't ever happen (Flyers will give him 8/80), but it would be awesome. :lol

I would also love this but that's the thing. If he does try to come back they'll be a lot of teams that'll stay away just cause they won't trust him and won't want to even go near it, but some team will say "we need this type of signing" and will cave.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 07:32 AM

OMG I spelled Daigle's first name wrong. Curses be upon me and my prosperity for always and forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14733314)
I would also love this but that's the thing. If he does try to come back they'll be a lot of teams that'll stay away just cause they won't trust him and won't want to even go near it, but some team will say "we need this type of signing" and will cave.

Agree completely, pal.

TMoore4075 07-18-2013 10:07 AM

@DennisTFP BREAKING: League source tells TFP that LA Kings Dustin Brown long term extension likely done by day's end.

Don't worry, our insider, or insiderr on the internets, already told us.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14734104)
@DennisTFP BREAKING: League source tells TFP that LA Kings Dustin Brown long term extension likely done by day's end.

Don't worry, our insider, or insiderr on the internets, already told us.

This news is soooooo yesterday. :rolleyes

:hugSarah

DmBand801 07-18-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

I enjoyed reading your debate, Chris and Ant. Wish I'd read it sooner so I could've chimed in, but I think between the two of you all the points were covered.

I'm still on the fence with this one. By all accounts, the Devils should not be a great team this year. I know they've got plenty of "potential" 20 goal scorers, but look no farther than Alexander Daigle for a discussion on the value of "potential". The defense really is not great, and Marty cannot keep this up forever (or CAN he??). I don't agree with Chris (shocker) in the sense that I am a believer in Schneider as a #1 goalie in this league, but I do agree with him that goaltending isn't what it used to be in terms of the overall team dynamic. The Sabres example he used is absolutely perfect. Miller is top 5, and Enroth is perhaps THE most underrated backup in the league (and let's not forget Matt Hackett at #3, who could be a #2 on a number of teams), yet the Sabres continue to be unsuccessful.

On the other hand, Ant is completely right about the Devils and their team-oriented culture. They win by committee and always have. But can they with this roster? I hope so. It would be a cool story and a perfect "eff you" moment to Kovalchuk.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

wampa3 07-18-2013 12:33 PM

Duchene signed through 2018/19 season now. Haven't seen any numbers yet.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 14734686)
Duchene signed through 2018/19 season now. Haven't seen any numbers yet.

Yeah, no numbers released yet. Nice to the see the Avs do something right. He took immense strides last season in terms of his overall game and leadership.

lockman21 07-18-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Oh, don't get me wrong Schneider is a #1 goaltender, but people talk about him as a potential Canadian goaltender in the Olympics, which I think is really ridiculous.

wampa3 07-18-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734723)
Yeah, no numbers released yet. Nice to the see the Avs do something right. He took immense strides last season in terms of his overall game and leadership.

I'm seeing 5 years for $30mil

dduncan6er 07-18-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14734728)
Oh, don't get me wrong Schneider is a #1 goaltender, but people talk about him as a potential Canadian goaltender in the Olympics, which I think is really ridiculous.

I agree. It'd be pretty ridiculous to have an American in net at the Olympics for team Canada. ;)

lockman21 07-18-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 14734758)
I agree. It'd be pretty ridiculous to have an American in net at the Olympics for team Canada. ;)

That's what I meant. Damnit I need a nap.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

:thumbsup I toyed with him at #3 on my depth chart for a while, but he was since dropped.

Quick
Miller
Anderson

fonzz41 07-18-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 14734756)
I'm seeing 5 years for $30mil

If he continues progressing like he is, this will seem like a bargain compared to some of the other contracts that are being doled out.

lockman21 07-18-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734798)
:thumbsup I toyed with him at #3 on my depth chart for a while, but he was since dropped.

Quick
Miller
Anderson

That's mine as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734804)
If he continues progressing like he is, this will seem like a bargain compared to some of the other contracts that are being doled out.

I feel like he's already a bargain at that price. Also why I live Patrick Sharp's contract.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14734846)
I feel like he's already a bargain at that price. Also why I live Patrick Sharp's contract.

:thumbsup I live it too.

~Crashintome89~ 07-18-2013 01:39 PM

can we just fast forward to February for the Olympics?

lockman21 07-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734852)
:thumbsup I live it too.

:lol Apparently I hit happy hour a little early today.

DmBand801 07-18-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734798)

Quick
Miller
Anderson

:thumbsup

These are the three goalies we should be taking to Russia.

fonzz41 07-18-2013 01:57 PM

Unless we can get Jimmy Craig.

bonzo48280 07-18-2013 02:01 PM

hockey will be awesome all year, but goddamn if it isn't going to be unbelievable come February.

aclark0622 07-18-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14733314)

Didn't I read (in here, maybe?) that he'll need approval from all 30 teams to re-enter the league?

Something tells me there's at least one team that'd tell him to pound sand :devils

DmBand801 07-18-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14734984)
Unless we can get Jimmy Craig.

I'm actively rooting for Joey MacDonald to get dual citizenship and join us.

fonzz41 07-19-2013 09:29 AM

About time. Agreement reached for NHL player participation in Olympics.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678195&cmpid=nhl-twt

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14736621)
About time. Agreement reached for NHL player participation in Olympics.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678195&cmpid=nhl-twt

After the CBA talks you surprised it took this long?

fonzz41 07-19-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14736629)
After the CBA talks you surprised it took this long?

About as surprised as I was that the Avs took McKinnon over Jones.

All in all, surprised but not surprised.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 09:42 AM

At least we should get schedule and division names today now.

UCFish 07-19-2013 09:45 AM

Those will be some early mornings.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 10:14 AM

Lady and gentlemen here we are.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebymonth.htm

Division. Pacific (LA and the rest), Central (duh), Atlantic (Former NE plus DET and FLA teams) and Metropolitan which is the former Atlantic plus CBJ, WAS and CAR.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 10:19 AM

Wings will have two long road trips to the far West twice and one short one. Heading to Minny and Chicago and some of the Central places on one-off's but they did that before and only one timezone over and not a long trip I'm ok with it. They do all the Western Canadian teams end of Oct/beginning of November and Dallas and then Cali the start of January. Also a quick trip to the Avs then Yotes in there somewhere. My old-manness is now in full form now.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 10:22 AM

Alright one more post, Alfie returns to Ottawa on December 1st. And I'm ok with the names. Not great but probably the best you could do. Just weird that the former Atlantic teams...aren't in the Atlantic Division anymore.

bonzo48280 07-19-2013 10:26 AM

Saturday night in Nashville on my birthday is going to happen

bonzo48280 07-19-2013 10:29 AM

Sat., March 1 vs. Pittsburgh: Their first home date in more than a month, Chicago will make history on March 1 when they host the first-ever professional hockey game at historic Soldier Field as part of the NHL’s Stadium Series. The game could also mark Sidney Crosby’s first appearance in Chicago since Jan. 13, 2006, his rookie season.

Could....but won't. He'll find a reason to hide from Toews again.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14736767)
Saturday night in Nashville on my birthday is going to happen

Didn't even check my birthday....crap...Wings at NYR the day before my bday. Damn it.

Maybe I'll try to hit up the Wings and Isles on December 23rd. I get December 25-January 2nd off and gonna take a few days on either side of that to make it 2 weeks so I'll be off. There is also Boston at the Joe the day before Turkey Day so that might be cool.

DmBand801 07-19-2013 10:40 AM

Sweet -- Devils get that Western Canada road trip out of the way in the first 10 games of the season.

swordo84 07-19-2013 11:01 AM

They really blew it with the division names imo.

Roose13 07-19-2013 11:05 AM

Metropolitan Division? Dumb

Flyers sched: http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...edule-released

swordo84 07-19-2013 11:08 AM

Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr would have been perfect.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14736837)
Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr would have been perfect.

They weren't gonna do that though. And whose division is whose? Howe is the central where the Wings don't play anymore? From what I read most teams weren't interested in going with names of legend players. Bettman changed it to regional names before, I didn't see him changing it back. This isn't perfect but sticking with regional names, not sure what else they could have done.

Roose13 07-19-2013 11:26 AM

Still think the PHI, PIT, NYR, NYI, WAS, NJ, CAR and CBJ division should have been called the NBC Division

swordo84 07-19-2013 11:27 AM

I just think anything would have been better than what they went with. I like the "Metropolitan" one, but it doesn't fit with the others.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-19-2013 11:31 AM

People always complain about stuff like division names, in all sports.

It's a no win situation. Considering some of the notable name changes we've seen in the past (big10 divison comes to mind) these really aren't that bad.

Also, it really doesn't matter.

swordo84 07-19-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14736889)

It's a no win situation. Considering some of the notable name changes we've seen in the past (big10 divison comes to mind) these really aren't that bad.

It's true, but I don't have much else to complain about right now :lol

s0628711 07-19-2013 11:43 AM

I know I'm not the first, but if they were going to keep the name "Atlantic", why the hell did they give it to the former northeast division.

Also, Rangers open with a nine game road trip due to the final year of construction at MSG.

I actually kind of like the early monster road trip because when its done, they finish with 41 home/32 away.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14736889)

You're absolutely right. It is a no-win situation. Especially in for the NHL's East this year. I mean sticking with regional names you couldn't do much else. I see all the people on twitter mocking the Metropolitan Division name but not giving any other real suggestions for something different.

And as you said, it doesn't really matter. Same teams in them as when they were called Divisions A-D. The only thing where it will be weird is if somehow the Leafs end up playing in the Metropolitan Division playoffs because they are the wild card team and somehow get to the conference finals, so they win the Metropolitan Division playoffs being from the Atlantic Division.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0628711 (Post 14736913)
I know I'm not the first, but if they were going to keep the name "Atlantic", why the hell did they give it to the former northeast division.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...174440888.html

This explains why the Atlantic didn't stay the Atlantic.

HallowBillies7 07-19-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14736922)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...174440888.html

This explains why the Atlantic didn't stay the Atlantic.

I wonder if the NHL will change it back to the Atlantic once they read that Crosby liked it.

s0628711 07-19-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14736940)
I wonder if the NHL will change it back to the Atlantic once they read that Crosby liked it.

:lol :lol

They could have kept the Atlantic where it was and called the former northeast the "Coastal" division or something. This way the eastern conference can identify where it is, then coastal covering from Florida to Canada.

Not a big deal though I guess.

~Crashintome89~ 07-19-2013 12:15 PM

Absolute farce that the NHL kept the Atlantic named but yet restructured the entire division. Well done, NHL. Go home, you're drunk.

~Crashintome89~ 07-19-2013 12:16 PM

And for those of you saying "oh, big deal--it's just a name." We're no longer friends. The Atlantic division was absolutely the hardest division in the entire NHL. It meant something--something much more than what's it known now as the Metrowhateverthehellyouspellpolitian division.

fonzz41 07-19-2013 12:21 PM

Disappointed they didn't go with my names.

Sakic
Foote
Fata
Daigle

I don't even care which division has which name.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-19-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14736999)
And for those of you saying "oh, big deal--it's just a name." We're no longer friends. The Atlantic division was absolutely the hardest division in the entire NHL. It meant something--something much more than what's it known now as the Metrowhateverthehellyouspellpolitian division.

We weren't friends anyways.

Somehow I feel Flyers fans will somehow try to spin this name change as the reason they miss the playoffs again.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14736999)

You're right, now that they changed the name it'll be a weak division even though all 5 teams are still in the division. The name is what made it tough. That's like saying the old Southeast sucked cause of the name, not cause they had the Thrashers, Canes, Lightning and Panthers in it. And to play devils advocate, what Atlantic division are you talking about? Rangers, Devils, Caps, Flyers, Isles, TBL and Panthers from 93-98 or the "new" division that started in 98-99? Or are you talking about the Patrick Division, which is pretty much what the new Metropolitan Division is, just with the Canes and Jackets added to it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14737022)
We weren't friends anyways.

Somehow I feel Flyers fans will somehow try to spin this name change as the reason they miss the playoffs again.

Haha

Roose13 07-19-2013 01:20 PM

Flyers miss the playoffs for a second time in 18 years and people act like it's a regular occurrence. :rolleyes

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14737145)
Flyers miss the playoffs for a second time in 18 years and people act like it's a regular occurrence. :rolleyes

You can close that window a bit and it's twice in 7 years. Not that that's bad, a lot of teams would probably kill for that..just saying.

fonzz41 07-19-2013 01:27 PM

The Flyers are kinda starting to become the Washington Capitals of this thread. Now all we need is a bandwagon Flyers fan who knows literally nothing about hockey, and the transition will be complete.

~Crashintome89~ 07-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14737050)
You're right, now that they changed the name it'll be a weak division even though all 5 teams are still in the division. The name is what made it tough. That's like saying the old Southeast sucked cause of the name, not cause they had the Thrashers, Canes, Lightning and Panthers in it. And to play devils advocate, what Atlantic division are you talking about? Rangers, Devils, Caps, Flyers, Isles, TBL and Panthers from 93-98 or the "new" division that started in 98-99? Or are you talking about the Patrick Division, which is pretty much what the new Metropolitan Division is, just with the Canes and Jackets added to it?

Both Atlantics. I'm just not a huge fan of Metropolitian when they kept the name Atlantic.

Roose13 07-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14737163)
The Flyers are kinda starting to become the Washington Capitals of this thread. Now all we need is a bandwagon Flyers fan who knows literally nothing about hockey, and the transition will be complete.

Thank God MDrums disappeared :lol:lol:lol

Roose13 07-19-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14737164)
Both Atlantics. I'm just not a huge fan of Metropolitian when they kept the name Atlantic.

And the teams in the Metro are more Atlantic than a division with three Canadian teams (4 if you count Buffalo) and Detroit.

TMoore4075 07-19-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14737164)

I understand that argument. Then what should they have called the other one? Northeast does not work with FLA and TBL in it. Not that many of the teams in the new Atlantic make all that much sense either but... more sense than NE with two Florida teams in it.