Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I like Listener Supported More than Red Rocks (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354898)

Captainnumber36 04-30-2021 12:04 PM

I like Listener Supported More than Red Rocks

I just think it's a stronger show.

swordo84 04-30-2021 01:12 PM

Re: I like Listener Supported More than Red Rocks

That's because LS is the best release the band has ever put out.

TSTJL40 04-30-2021 01:15 PM

LS is probably the release that made me a fan. That release is perfect.

Bearclaw_ 04-30-2021 01:36 PM

LS is close to perfect, if not perfect.

It’s levels above RR 95.

And it slaughters RR 05. :lol

HonestDenver1 04-30-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 (Post 17945962)
I just think it's a stronger show.

It’s 2 very different bands. One is up and coming with red rocks being the coolest venue they’ve ever played at. Excitement and energy at all time hiighs.

LS is a well established band in their prime. The set list is a bit more vast. They’ve played arenas and toured non stop for years.

It’s either or for me. Red rocks was my first buy from the band back in 97 when it came out.. but wasn’t sold on them just yet. LS made me completely obsessed., but the video release has a lot to to Ruth it. Pre YouTube, it was such a treat to own a video of a band you liked to watch any time.

We take it for granted now, but that first video release was a treasure and is still their best filmed concert . It is perfect.

ToySoldier#34 04-30-2021 06:05 PM

LS is miles better than RR 95, RR 95 and RR 05 are basically tied for me

seanbrutus 04-30-2021 07:29 PM

LS is what made me a fan. That is a perfect #41, and the darker feel to the show is something I always enjoyed. I used to watch the DVD everyday as a kid. Where does the time go?

Cptn. Monkeyman 04-30-2021 07:32 PM

Listener Supported is legendary, but it drags toward the end (Jimi, true reflections, #36, Lovely Ladies)

Red Rocks 95 is flawless and the best era of the band in my opinion

Tomacco 04-30-2021 07:42 PM

I think I do too if only because I like the band’s sound more in 99 than 95 (especially Dave’s voice), as well as the BTCS material.

djamieb 04-30-2021 09:16 PM

I just listened through Listener Supported again last weekend, actually! I was in high school when it came out and was definitely a big fan at that point; but this release cemented the fact that this band would be an all-time favorite for me, and that has absolutely proven to be true. Listening again a few days ago brought back a flood of memories from different places and times and moods I've been in when I've listened to this album over the last 20+ years, and it's just as incredible now as it was back then. :thumbsup

P.S. (This is one of the few remaining "please, please, please release this on vinyl someday" albums from the band on my wish list. I'd also LOVE a Blu-Ray of this show someday, too.) :)

Bmwm3oz 04-30-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djamieb (Post 17946264)
I just listened through Listener Supported again last weekend, actually! I was in high school when it came out and was definitely a big fan at that point; but this release cemented the fact that this band would be an all-time favorite for me, and that has absolutely proven to be true. Listening again a few days ago brought back a flood of memories from different places and times and moods I've been in when I've listened to this album over the last 20+ years, and it's just as incredible now as it was back then. :thumbsup

P.S. (This is one of the few remaining "please, please, please release this on vinyl someday" albums from the band on my wish list. I'd also LOVE a Blu-Ray of this show someday, too.) :)

Great post man. I can relate

ToySoldier#34 05-01-2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17946241)
I think I do too if only because I like the band’s sound more in 99 than 95 (especially Dave’s voice), as well as the BTCS material.

Same reasoning for me, RR 95 sounds thin, rushed, and Dave's voice isn't what it turned into. Most releases from the late 90's to mid 00's have a better band mix, better tempo, far better singing, BTCS and tLWS/BS

prdstmnky36 05-01-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djamieb (Post 17946264)

I would love more HD video releases, but I don’t think there would be much difference (in video quality) between the dvd and Bluray.

sean52692 05-01-2021 06:37 AM

Disagree, like RR95 much more than List Supp. As some have said, LS does tail off towards the end of the set. RR is classic from start to finish, fantastic mix, classic Tim, and 95 DMB. Hard to beat.

joshg 05-03-2021 09:38 AM

Random posts that don't need their own thread..........much?

Dodo36 05-03-2021 12:01 PM

Agreed. Red Rocks being slightly sped up always took me a little bit to get into it.

It also loses point for Spotlight being talked about as a pre-gap. Even if it was an unfounded rumor, that loses points. Had it made it into the pre-gap it would be below Weekend On The Rocks and Folsom Field.

Speilmen230 05-03-2021 12:06 PM

RR95 is raw unmitigated 90s DMB. It has my favorite version of Ants. It's not the best show ever, but it has a kind of magic that isn't easily matched by many other shows. That 95 tour was just special. LT 5&12 are both exquisite releases as well.

Antiramie 05-03-2021 02:13 PM

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

HonestDenver1 05-03-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17947085)
Random posts that don't need their own thread..........much?

At this point you could argue this entire forum belongs in that category... This seems like a legit discussion. As opposed to "What shoes did Dave wear in 1997?"

HonestDenver1 05-03-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 17947263)
RR95 is raw unmitigated 90s DMB. It has my favorite version of Ants. It's not the best show ever, but it has a kind of magic that isn't easily matched by many other shows. That 95 tour was just special. LT 5&12 are both exquisite releases as well.

I think it really depends on when you got into this band. If Red Rocks was your first purchase outside of the 2 studio albums at the time, I think it holds a real weight. For me living in Colorado, it just added to the fame Red Rocks already held.. an up and coming band from out of state puts out their first live album and it's one of the very best live albums from the 90's...

When the band released it in 1997 they were on their way to enormous stardom..Maybe more than they could have realized in 1995 when they recorded it. It was their first headlining show there! They had only opened for The Samples and Big Head Todd in the past..

I get I'm likely biased being from Colorado, but it will always be my favorite thing this band has released. I was so incredibly excited to get in on vinyl.

Listener Supported is a close second if not tied... It's excellent, but it's very different. The same arguments could be made in exact opposite of red rocks, that the band was slowed down, jazzy, a little loose on LS... and at times the show drags.

Route_2 05-03-2021 02:53 PM

A shame LS is ruined by the LL.

crashintonickdm 05-03-2021 03:33 PM

all the big releases pre live trax ranked for me. I like them all but some more than others. RR05 sucks

Red rocks 95
Central Park
Listener supported
Luther college
Chicago
Folsom field
Gorge 02

RSSR 05-04-2021 01:22 PM

I really don't mind the Lovely Ladies at all. For me, it's a toss-up between RR95 and LS.

ToySoldier#34 05-04-2021 01:40 PM

Listener Supported
Luther College
Gorge 02
Folsom Field
Central Park
Chicago
RR05
RR95

Last two are interchangeable depending on the day

HonestDenver1 05-04-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17948069)
Listener Supported
Luther College
Gorge 02
Folsom Field
Central Park
Chicago
RR05
RR95

Last two are interchangeable depending on the day

This is inciting violence. I’m going to riot .

ToySoldier#34 05-04-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 (Post 17948115)
This is inciting violence. I’m going to riot .

LS - always special to me, love the setlist, how they sound, Roi, everything
Luther - first DMB related live release I bought, had never heard people play like that acoustically
Gorge '02 - the DVD is when I changed from casual to a bigger fan
FF - love Dave's voice on it, Bartender is my favorite DMB live performance
CP - great stuff, not quite as special to me as the others, mostly setlist related
Chicago - similar reasoning as CP but I don't like it quite as much
RR05 - some real clunkers on song choice, band sounds great
RR95 - as stated earlier I find it to be rushed, thin, Dave is nasally, #36 is not for me. It's special to a lot of people in that it's when they were up and coming, to me it's a lesser version of what they turned into.

HonestDenver1 05-04-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17948125)
LS - always special to me, love the setlist, how they sound, Roi, everything
Luther - first DMB related live release I bought, had never heard people play like that acoustically
Gorge '02 - the DVD is when I changed from casual to a bigger fan
FF - love Dave's voice on it, Bartender is my favorite DMB live performance
CP - great stuff, not quite as special to me as the others, mostly setlist related
Chicago - similar reasoning as CP but I don't like it quite as much
RR05 - some real clunkers on song choice, band sounds great
RR95 - as stated earlier I find it to be rushed, thin, Dave is nasally, #36 is not for me. It's special to a lot of people in that it's when they were up and coming, to me it's a lesser version of what they turned into.

I try to not be biased towards Folsom
But I was there and it was my second ever show. Still can’t believe it got an official release. Great night and solidified my obsession with the band .

jmkratt 05-04-2021 04:56 PM

Interesting.

I listen to RR95 all the time. Don't even remember the last time I listen to Listener Supported.

swordo84 05-04-2021 06:55 PM

LS
Luther
Chicago
Gorge '02
CP
Folsom
RR95
RR05

TwoStep2888 05-04-2021 07:02 PM