Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ants Podcast 96: Adios, Mono Loco - Episode Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=349011)

Matt 07-22-2018 07:39 PM

Ants Podcast 96: Adios, Mono Loco - Episode Discussion

We try not to let the loss of an Ants staple get us down, so we remember the great times it created.*We say goodbye to Mono Loco, the Ants HQ of Charlottesville, VA and a place where so many Ants met and celebrated together.*But back on tour, four new shows are in the books and we discuss if there is such a thing as a SPAC hangover.*Plus, the tour takes on a new ‘guests’ theme, and one particular show gets some unwanted attention.*Also, Dave makes new comments about Boyd’s exit, drama in the setlist game standings, and we take on your #AntsPodcast questions.

dmbetc 07-22-2018 07:41 PM

Re: Ants Podcast 96: Adios, Mono Loco - Episode Discussion

Aww Mono Loco was great! Never forget the place Jake snubbed me.

Jake 07-22-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17201317)
Aww Mono Loco was great! Never forget the place Jake snubbed me.

wasn't my fault.. you didn't say THE Sarah

dpduke5173 07-22-2018 08:21 PM

Had a great time at the party in 16. Sad to hear it closed.

IndyDMB 07-23-2018 06:55 AM

Gorge had the rarest show of the tour the last four touring years, 2013-2016. Not sure where Matt comes off saying Gorge of late hasn't been good.:freak

Cscottrun 07-23-2018 07:09 AM

I was really hoping to hear more about those 06 tracks. Seems like you barely touched on it. Otherwise, I really enjoy the episode. Thanks.

BruceW 07-23-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17201579)
Gorge had the rarest show of the tour the last four touring years, 2013-2016. Not sure where Matt comes off saying Gorge of late hasn't been good.:freak

Rarest doesn’t always equate to being good.

IndyDMB 07-23-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17201630)
Rarest doesn’t always equate to being good.

When it comes to meat maybe. Dmb shows it almost always does.

Matt 07-23-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17201671)
When it comes to meat maybe. Dmb shows it almost always does.

In general, I'd agree with you, but I stand by my claim.

In 2014, yes, we got Spoon with Brandi - that was incredible. We also got the tour's only Steady As We Go and Out of My Hands. Rarity alone is a very small factor - a rare turd is still a turd.

2015: We got that Angel From Montgomery (and the story behind it was incredible). We also got the tour's 2nd Loving Wings. (insert poop emoji)

Real small sample size but rare does not always equal good. This year? Time Bomb played twice. .....yay? Nay.

IndyDMB 07-23-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 17201784)

In 2014, yes, we got Spoon with Brandi - that was incredible. We also got the tour's only Steady As We Go and Out of My Hands. Rarity alone is a very small factor - a rare turd is still a turd.

2015: We got that Angel From Montgomery (and the story behind it was incredible). We also got the tour's 2nd Loving Wings. (insert poop emoji)

Real small sample size but rare does not always equal good. This year? Time Bomb played twice. .....yay? Nay.

2016: The Stone, Minarets, Typical, Last Stop, LIOG, Say Goodbye and Pig. All of these just N3 and rarest show of tour.

2014 also got Watchtower(dave solo), LLD, Typical, The Stone and maybe the best Cornbread I've ever heard(all N3 and again the rarest show of the tour).

You are pretty much getting the best show of the tour N3 of a gorge weekend of late. You might get one or two snoozers but the rest of the show is what other venues would kill for.

mmish84 07-23-2018 10:22 AM

Why is Jake no longer on these? Unless I missed it, his absence doesn't appear to have been addressed on any of the podcasts.

Matt and Joe are great, don't get me wrong, but Jake adds a TON to these. Would love to see him back, hopefully soon.

antsdmb 07-23-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmish84 (Post 17201899)
Why is Jake no longer on these? Unless I missed it, his absence doesn't appear to have been addressed on any of the podcasts.

Matt and Joe are great, don't get me wrong, but Jake adds a TON to these. Would love to see him back, hopefully soon.

I was actually wondering the same thing....

Cscottrun 07-23-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Was thinking about this yesterday as well. Hope he comes back soon. In the meantime, if you are interested in his insight, you should subscribe to Ants+, as he posts a lot in there, and most of it is good stuff.

Jake 07-23-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsdmb (Post 17201905)
I was actually wondering the same thing....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17201972)
Was thinking about this yesterday as well. Hope he comes back soon. In the meantime, if you are interested in his insight, you should subscribe to Ants+, as he posts a lot in there, and most of it is good stuff.

thanks I appreciate the kind words :thumbsup

I work A LOT. I was working during this podcast. But I'll tell you what, next time I talk to Matt I'll see about the podcasts :)

daveindyman 07-23-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 17202275)

I work A LOT. I was working during this podcast. But I'll tell you what, next time I talk to Matt I'll see about the podcasts :)

We are looooooong overdue for another Story Time with Grandpa Jake!

daveshookme 07-23-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 17201784)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17201837)
2016: The Stone, Minarets, Typical, Last Stop, LIOG, Say Goodbye and Pig. All of these just N3 and rarest show of tour.

2014 also got Watchtower(dave solo), LLD, Typical, The Stone and maybe the best Cornbread I've ever heard(all N3 and again the rarest show of the tour).

You are pretty much getting the best show of the tour N3 of a gorge weekend of late. You might get one or two snoozers but the rest of the show is what other venues would kill for.

Are we all just ignoring the liberation of the most beautiful song the band ever wrote in 2013? :rolleyes

karczews41 07-24-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17201837)

Came here to pretty much say this. Saying the Gorge shows in recent years haven't been some or the best or the best of their tours makes zero sense. Only complaint from 2016 N3 was Dave's voice was a bit rough. Otherwise, phenomenal show.

dmb9howell 07-24-2018 08:05 PM

I finally got to see a a podcast cause you guys upgraded to YouTube. Well, I mean, I watched about 3 mins and had to shut it off. You guys are total toolbags.

YankeesDMB41 07-26-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb9howell (Post 17203948)
I finally got to see a a podcast cause you guys upgraded to YouTube. Well, I mean, I watched about 3 mins and had to shut it off. You guys are total toolbags.

To me they come off as pleasant lovely people. I enjoyed listening to my first Ants Podcast wholeheartedly

Matt 07-26-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17207318)
To me they come off as pleasant lovely people. I enjoyed listening to my first Ants Podcast wholeheartedly

I'm up working on converting shows to be able to stream on DMB Hub and come across this comment. Nice, thank you! I'll give you a pass re: TB12.

LaLaLaLaHey 07-26-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

You’re in a good habit of being extra kind to people. I think we all appreciate that. So much love to go around.

ThatLetter 07-27-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 17202275)

There’s a subtext in that last sentence, I think.

Alpine416 07-27-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Yeah they are really bad. It's a shame too, I would love to listen to a good regular dmb podcast but this one is not it.

cph9680 07-29-2018 08:16 AM

#HatersGonna Hate

I think it's a great podcast. It's great to hear two (sometimes three) people who are so passionate about this band or music in general!

RiotAct 07-29-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 17202459)
Are we all just ignoring the liberation of the most beautiful song the band ever wrote in 2013? :rolleyes

I don’t think Last Stop was liberated in 2013, was it?

FeelingGood 09-01-2018 08:23 AM

(I didn't see a thread for yesterday's Gorge N1 podcast - 8-31-18) Matt's theory about new fans liking the band for their most recent release may be right, idk, but just thought I would offer my experience as a data point.

I watched the Radio City show on blu-ray back in 2009 and immediately dug into DMB's back catalog to listen to everything I could get my hands on. I remember the DMB site used to have all the Live Trax posted so that you could listen to everything online...that really helped expose me to the big three. Going back and looking at older YouTubes was also a big influence and really helped me love the way DMB was back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I wish I could have gone to shows back then, but I just wasn't in a place to get into it. Big Whiskey had been out about a year when I became a fan...and I liked it...but it didn't sweep me up like the first 3-4. I just think that if you're a new fan and you really love the music, you're not going to just focus on the most recent release....it's waaaaay too easy today to go back in time and discover the band the way it used to be. Even from 2000 to 2009, you could easily access the Live Trax releases to get a sense of the band's earlier years. It just depends on the person...are they motivated enough to go back and spend the time and effort to do the discovery? Maybe the average fan wouldn't make that effort, idk. Maybe I'm one of the statistical outliers. That's my take on it.