Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Share your unpopular DMB opinions. (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317529)

Gideon 06-16-2015 05:15 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I enjoy most of the Stand Up, Big Whiskey & AFTW songs live, but it honestly depends on the position of the song in the set.

K8Te 06-16-2015 05:34 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
That be yourself is hideous.

Nick loves #41 06-16-2015 06:08 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brooksie2 (Post 16014575)
too hard to say but I like two step, the last stop, shotgun, Rhyme and Reason, so right, Drive in Drive out, the dreaming tree and a whole lot more just couldn't say whats my top 10

so right :lol

cornnuts 06-16-2015 06:25 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 16014803)
I'd be interested in seeing that

please keep in mind that i'm listing these songs in what i would consider to be their best form. so although i think rapunzel and grey st kinda suck now among other songs, in their prime i consider them to be some of DMB's best work......

1) lie in our graves
2) #41
3) tripping billies
4) ants marching
5) two step
6) typical situation
7) dancing nancies
8) grey street
9) crush
10) rapunzel
11) bartender
12) warehouse
13) best of what's around
14) rhyme and reason
15) jimi thing
16) lover lay down
17) say goodbye
18) the dreaming tree
19) pig
20) the stone
21) seek up
22) spoon
23) the last stop
24) #36
25) all along the watchtower
26) big eyed fish
27) JTR
28) one sweet world
29) crash into me
30) proudest monkey
31) satellite
32) what would you say
33) recently
34) pay for what you get
35) sweet up and down
36) raven
37) drive in drive out
38) help myself
39) christmas song
40) #40

TimHonks 06-16-2015 06:29 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick loves #41 (Post 16015254)
so right :lol

So Right is a monster.

RSSR 06-16-2015 07:14 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I find that Be Yourself isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Shogun 06-16-2015 07:21 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 16015326)
I find that Be Yourself isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I think we don't fully know what Be Yourself is going to be yet.
Sounds like they just pulled it out unfinished because it worked with the LL.

At least I hope so :shrug

dmberkley 06-16-2015 07:30 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
This bands best years are far behind them, around 2004ish, since then... going through the motions at concerts, not listening to their fan base and picking up paychecks...

tshaw143 06-16-2015 07:38 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimHonks (Post 16015278)
So Right is a monster.

So Right & Minarets were the best two songs at NI last year.
Hoping for So Right again at DC. Outro is just great now. Should be played more, as with 20 other songs.

aoeiifreak 06-16-2015 08:47 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by K8Te (Post 16015198)
That be yourself is hideous.

??? What are you talking about, I have no memory of any song called Be Yourself being played by DMB...

hastagLoVE 06-17-2015 02:19 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
- If Dave actually wrote a decent melody & lyrics for Dreamgirl, it might have been a great song. The guitar part is great.

- American Baby is a pretty good song.

- I enjoy Everyday as a non-DMB pop record, and I think Angel in particular is a stand-out pop tune. I love the changes on the chorus in particular.

- I like Butch's scat solos on Jimi Thing way more than Dave's.

- I like Butch in general. I wish he'd come back.

but1well 06-17-2015 03:02 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I'm not sure if this is unpopular but IMO, Stand Up >> Everyday

dmberkley 06-17-2015 08:41 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by but1well (Post 16016706)
I'm not sure if this is unpopular but IMO, Stand Up >> Everyday

This is like asking which pile of shit smells worse...

NewAgedNerd 06-17-2015 08:53 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Mercy is growing to be one of my favorite modern era DMB songs.

twostep03 06-18-2015 09:43 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 16017369)
Mercy is growing to be one of my favorite modern era DMB songs.

For me, the outro to Mercy is just so relaxing. I think it's the perfect feel for a warm summer evening at a show

cornnuts 06-18-2015 12:15 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 16017369)
Mercy is growing to be one of my favorite modern era DMB songs.

i agree. i've pretty much liked mercy since it first came out and it's one of their better newer songs for what that's worth. and i agree with twostep above, the outro is awesome. powerful stuff last year in berkeley

Jadorsey34 06-18-2015 03:41 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Iv'e been a fan since the early days and the Lovely ladies have never bothered me whatsoever. I don't mind them at all in small doses.

NewAgedNerd 06-18-2015 05:44 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I really like the Wrigley Field live album.

cornnuts 06-18-2015 06:22 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 16018953)
I'm not sure if this is unpopular but I really like the Wrigley Field live album.

wrigley is pretty sweet. some big time high energy performances. powerful #41 jam, one of my favorites from the more modern era!

RSSR 06-18-2015 06:31 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadorsey34 (Post 16018760)
Iv'e been a fan since the early days and the Lovely ladies have never bothered me whatsoever. I don't mind them at all in small doses.

Me neither. The LLs on Listener Supported never bothered me (or on Live At Folsom Field), and in fact, added to the songs they were on.

s0628711 06-18-2015 06:48 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
This band is dearly missing keyboard/piano.

Can't Stop isn't close to their worst song. You and Me is, and it's not close.

twostep03 06-19-2015 12:48 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I wouldn't be upset if they never released another show prior to 1998. While most of the sets look amazing back then because there were no bad songs to play, they all sound the same to me. I enjoy a few older versions of songs, but for the most part I don't enjoy the sound of 1994 - 1997 DMB. I hate the sound of the Chet and Dave's vocals are painful to listen to.

The 1997 summer tour had 29 shows, in which they played 33 different songs. These days, if they don't hit 100 different songs we complain about lack of variety. In 1997, there were 7 songs that were played at literally every single show. I think the old days are overrated simply because they are the old days

lalkb48 06-19-2015 01:58 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by twostep03 (Post 16019904)
I wouldn't be upset if they never released another show prior to 1998. While most of the sets look amazing back then because there were no bad songs to play, they all sound the same to me. I enjoy a few older versions of songs, but for the most part I don't enjoy the sound of 1994 - 1997 DMB. I hate the sound of the Chet and Dave's vocals are painful to listen to.

The 1997 summer tour had 29 shows, in which they played 33 different songs. These days, if they don't hit 100 different songs we complain about lack of variety. In 1997, there were 7 songs that were played at literally every single show. I think the old days are overrated simply because they are the old days

Very interesting statistic. Not sure how to think about it but like you said previously in the post, there were no bad songs. Nowadays, there are several of them

space_raven 06-24-2015 09:45 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
I really like Black and Blue Bird, Death on the High Seas, and Virginia in the Rain.

cooke726 06-24-2015 09:48 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 16024851)
I really like Black and Blue Bird, Death on the High Seas, and Virginia in the Rain.

I agree... I believe compared to AFTW songs they all fall just below Snow Outside but above or equal to the rest of the album

space_raven 06-24-2015 09:55 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooke726 (Post 16024861)
I agree... I believe compared to AFTW songs they all fall just below Snow Outside but above or equal to the rest of the album

Since I strongly dislike the large majority of AFTW (including Snow Outside in my strong dislike) I think these 3 new songs are far superior to the AFTW material.

brooksie2 06-24-2015 10:17 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 16013917)
Snow Outside is very overrated. Musically, it's cool. Lyrically, it's so repetitive and uninteresting.

Snow Outside is boring to me

SmoothG 06-24-2015 11:06 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by twostep03 (Post 16019904)
I wouldn't be upset if they never released another show prior to 1998. While most of the sets look amazing back then because there were no bad songs to play, they all sound the same to me. I enjoy a few older versions of songs, but for the most part I don't enjoy the sound of 1994 - 1997 DMB. I hate the sound of the Chet and Dave's vocals are painful to listen to.

The 1997 summer tour had 29 shows, in which they played 33 different songs. These days, if they don't hit 100 different songs we complain about lack of variety. In 1997, there were 7 songs that were played at literally every single show. I think the old days are overrated simply because they are the old days

Its almost as if you didnt realise they had...2 albums.

Also, your opinion on the older days is...very off base.

SmoothG 06-24-2015 11:07 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
Dont know if this is popular or unpopular, but I dont care much for any of the songs. Lyrically weak and boring musically.

LetYouDown22 06-24-2015 11:09 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.
 
American Baby is one of my favorite studio tracks from this band. Really enjoy that tune.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.