Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Share your unpopular DMB opinions. (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317529)

YouNeverKnow25 10-18-2012 07:52 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somemonkey36 (Post 14098104)
Say Goodbye sucks live. The studio version is one of my favorites from Crash and then he plays it live and the lyrics are all over the place.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

hailtopitt 10-18-2012 08:57 AM

say goodbye is more about the drums and flute, the bass kind of as well than it is about the lyrics for me, fun to hear live

jayman414 10-18-2012 10:01 AM

Beach Ball from the BW bonus disc is how DMB 2.0 should sound.
Beach Ball is a great song
Loving Wings should be the only song that closes the next album, a nice long 7-9 minute song, fading out like PM.

Sprunkn7 10-18-2012 10:22 AM

I like me some Cornbread....and Dave on Piano....

kanedmb 10-18-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalkb48 (Post 14099162)
Dreamed I Killed God is nothing special by any means. It's an unfinished, improv POS.

Loving Wings is the best song Dave has written that is 100% completed and never had a studio cut - and maybe his best song since 2002.

Agree on both of these (I think Dreamed I Killed God is overrated and overdramatic/heavy handed), but especially the second. Loving Wings is incredible - an awesome riff, funky and musically interesting jam, and the lyrics are incredibly well written.

moosicmaniac 10-18-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayman414 (Post 14101256)
Beach Ball from the BW bonus disc is how DMB 2.0 should sound.
Beach Ball is a great song
Loving Wings should be the only song that closes the next album, a nice long 7-9 minute song, fading out like PM.

very well said about Beach Ball and DMB 2.0. good call.

I don't think anyone would complain if that happened to Loving Wings.

crashmpm 10-18-2012 04:11 PM

Fool To Think is a terrific live song
I'll take any song in the catalog at a concert before cornbread
I wish they would never close a show with Watchtower anymore
I really enjoy Seven

bboy101 10-18-2012 05:51 PM

Why the F do they never come to Colorado, or the middle of the country for that matter? They always are on the coasts, especially the East Coast. :thumbsdow

#41Tom 10-18-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboy101 (Post 14102756)
Why the F do they never come to Colorado, or the middle of the country for that matter? They always are on the coasts, especially the East Coast. :thumbsdow

Think you posted in the wrong thread... unless you're conceding that few people want the band to come to Colorado. In which case, there's your answer.

chadizzy1 10-18-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboy101 (Post 14102756)

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/Venues.aspx

25 times to CO is pretty impressive, they've only been in my state twice.

Ejmannix1 10-18-2012 07:14 PM

Busted Stuff is in The Big 4- Boom

#27#34#36#40#41 10-18-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ejmannix1 (Post 14103155)

completly agree love me some busted stuff accutally like it more than crash

#27#34#36#40#41 10-18-2012 07:36 PM

i hate hearing proudest monkey & #41 live rather have everybody wake up

Useliteski 10-19-2012 06:30 PM

i know this isn't really an unpopular opinion, but Ants Marching is hard to listen to these days. when i listen to versions like the one we got on the WH disk however, it brings a big grin to my face. They absolutely killed it in the early days.

RSSR 10-25-2012 05:15 PM

The Lovely Ladies were always OK with me. I can't think of one song that I dislike with them, thought they even really added to several songs. But then again, never caught a '00-'01 show with them, and Folsom Field is all I really ever listened to from that era.

Buckman98 10-25-2012 05:40 PM

- I think Dave yells too much. It can be over the top at times, and he needs to save it for the right moments.
- When live, Carter overplays more and more as time goes on. I am a drummer, so I get how drumming "works". He used to be happy to lay down a simple beat live, but now he always seems to want to toss in some double-bass-pedal work, China crashes, or over-playing the beat. Sometimes the best drummers know when to leave "space" in songs, and he does little of that live.
- I really am tired of SMTS, ASTB, and Too Much. I swear I have 100 versions of them, and I am done with them. Never really liked them to start with ....
- I like the Lovely Ladies just fine.
- I think that the band is stubborn when it comes to WH discs, bonus releases, and setlists. Crafting a bonus CD that would make WH members go crazy (in a good way) would be pretty simple. Releasing studio versions of some songs that are not released should be a no-brainer. A rabid fan base who keeps coming to shows, keeps you rich, and is so devoted to you? Keep em happy. Others acts do it all the time ....
- I never get how some Ants seem to know every song on every CD ever released (or every bootleg!). I listen to lots of DMB, but seldom could tell you which version of a song is on which CD. I sometimes do not know if I should be amazed at some people, or scared that they are obsessed :)

lalkb48 10-26-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckman98 (Post 14119264)
- I think Dave yells too much. It can be over the top at times, and he needs to save it for the right moments.
- When live, Carter overplays more and more as time goes on. I am a drummer, so I get how drumming "works". He used to be happy to lay down a simple beat live, but now he always seems to want to toss in some double-bass-pedal work, China crashes, or over-playing the beat. Sometimes the best drummers know when to leave "space" in songs, and he does little of that live.
- I really am tired of SMTS, ASTB, and Too Much. I swear I have 100 versions of them, and I am done with them. Never really liked them to start with ....
- I like the Lovely Ladies just fine.
- I think that the band is stubborn when it comes to WH discs, bonus releases, and setlists. Crafting a bonus CD that would make WH members go crazy (in a good way) would be pretty simple. Releasing studio versions of some songs that are not released should be a no-brainer. A rabid fan base who keeps coming to shows, keeps you rich, and is so devoted to you? Keep em happy. Others acts do it all the time ....
- I never get how some Ants seem to know every song on every CD ever released (or every bootleg!). I listen to lots of DMB, but seldom could tell you which version of a song is on which CD. I sometimes do not know if I should be amazed at some people, or scared that they are obsessed :)

I agree with all except for Carter. I am not a drummer so I probably don't listen to him like you do but much like I play guitar, there are things Tim and Dave do that annoy me as well so I understand where your coming from.

As for the last bullet point, I have listened to at least 1,000 shows this band has played from taper pulls and it may be excessive, but it just comes as being a fan.

lalkb48 10-26-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ejmannix1 (Post 14103155)

yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Quadrophenia92 10-26-2012 02:47 PM

2012>2010 (summer at least, fall was the tits). Curious to see how Winter 2012 fairs.

dtv001 10-26-2012 05:07 PM

Two step in its current form is worse than ever

I'll take Jimi Thing at every show, and love it!

Jeff and RR together are too much horn section

SDL needs to stay D&T or Dave solo.

Can't Stop sounds great with the current lineup, even if the lyrics suck

If the band doesn't change their sound up in the next 3 years, their touring numbers will hit record low ticket sales and sold out venues

DMBROX24 10-27-2012 01:36 AM

Don't like BW or AFTW(Other than Mercy,Sweet,Gaucho,Belly Full)...
I thought with Lillywhite being on board it gave us a chance at hearing "Big 3" like influence on the new album...did not happen, not even close.
Tim really needs to go.
Cry Freedom is a great song. Never seems to get much love.

crashintonickdm 10-27-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useliteski (Post 14106481)
i know this isn't really an unpopular opinion, but Ants Marching is hard to listen to these days. when i listen to versions like the one we got on the WH disk however, it brings a big grin to my face. They absolutely killed it in the early days.

:thumbsup

tim, jeff and rashawn ruined ants as far as im concerned.

TonySeeksUp 10-27-2012 03:33 AM

I agree Dave was lazy on AFTW. Pretty much no lyrical depth, however musically brilliant. Overall it is slightly overrated.

TonySeeksUp 10-27-2012 03:48 AM

Drive In Drive Out is one of the most underrated DMB songs. I think it should be performed A LOT more than it is

TonySeeksUp 10-27-2012 03:50 AM

Tim needs to go, except for when it's a Dave & Tim set

mtlewis23 10-27-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySeeksUp (Post 14122012)
Drive In Drive Out is one of the most underrated DMB songs. I think it should be performed A LOT more than it is

I agree. You could say that for so many songs too.

jbish901 10-27-2012 12:04 PM

I like the drum machine on Stolen Away.
Glow Sticks are fun.
Busted Stuff is the best overall DMB album.
I dislike what Tim brings to the band. (He needs to put away the electric guitar, and while we are at it the horn section needs to relax and accompany the band instead of improv soloing every song)

daveindyman 10-27-2012 02:21 PM

I like Everyday more than #36.
I do not see what the big fuss is about Sweet Up and Down other than it's an unreleased song from The Lillywhite Sessions.
I like LITHOG much more than WYA.
I could hear Too Much at every show and be happy about it.

laristarr77 10-27-2012 03:01 PM

I don't care for Halloween or Last Stop. :eek

I would like to see Tim go away for a while.

Noremac 10-27-2012 05:27 PM

Crazy Easy is really not that good.
Busted Stuff is the band's best album.
The line-up they have right now is the best they've ever had. Tim, Rashawn, and Jeff are all incredible.