Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Share your unpopular DMB opinions. (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317529)

currupt3d** 05-16-2018 04:20 PM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

While an incredibly gifted musician, I never found Tim's style very appealing, acoustic or electric.

Ryno DMB 05-16-2018 09:11 PM

The Be Yourself on the DMB Hub streaming app is good. Like, the bkdkdkddd part takes away from it, but the rest of the song is solid. I'm serious.

smb41 05-16-2018 10:13 PM

Time Bomb is a top 10 DMB song from the last 10 years.

Mono 05-16-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17102910)

lolz :trap

Mono 05-16-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by currupt3d** (Post 17102612)
While an incredibly gifted musician, I never found Tim's style very appealing, acoustic or electric.

Even his fills back on something like Luther College? They were/are sublime on acoustic IMO

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-17-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17102910)

I think I may agree. I’d have to look at all the tracks since 08 and compare, but I do love Time Bomb. Off the top of my head, I like these better though:

1.) Lying in the Hands of God
2.) Beach Ball
3.) Drunken Soldier
4.) Snow Outside
5.) Black & Blue Bird

And then in no particular order: The Riff, Broken Things, Break For It, Time Bomb, Bismarck, Again & Again, Gaucho, Dive In, Spaceman, Little Red Bird

So definetly in top 15 for me before hearing the new album - it may change after that. Time Bomb is a good song (imo) I don’t let group think get to me.

bubba40 05-17-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 17091744)
I'm not upset Boyd is sitting this year out. At all.

:thumbsup Me neither

morecornbread!! 05-17-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17103002)
I think I may agree. I’d have to look at all the tracks since 08 and compare, but I do love Time Bomb. Off the top of my head, I like these better though:

1.) Lying in the Hands of God
2.) Beach Ball
3.) Drunken Soldier
4.) Snow Outside
5.) Black & Blue Bird

And then in no particular order: The Riff, Broken Things, Break For It, Time Bomb, Bismarck, Again & Again, Gaucho, Dive In, Spaceman, Little Red Bird

So definetly in top 15 for me before hearing the new album - it may change after that. Time Bomb is a good song (imo) I don’t let group think get to me.

Beach Ball is incredible. Got it at Deer Creek a couple years ago and went bananas.

jmkratt 05-17-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morecornbread!! (Post 17103584)
Beach Ball is incredible. Got it at Deer Creek a couple years ago and went bananas.

Agreed, I love that song.

WidespreadMule3 05-17-2018 04:24 PM

I love Beach Ball, Little Red Bird, #27 & Write A Song

I've gotten all except #27 and I'd love to see it. Be good if all of them were in rotation.

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-17-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 17104312)

I've gotten all except #27 and I'd love to see it. Be good if all of them were in rotation.

Yeah man, totally agree. Big Whiskey is an album I appreciate and it’s quite good, but I think I enjoy the Little Red Bird EP more. I really wish they would have done something similar with Come Tomorrow and given us an EP with Bismarck

Julia Roberts 05-21-2018 12:22 PM

Listened to Stolen Away and Trouble With You this morning. They have some similarities, but I love them both. They have gotten better with time for me. Top 20 for me.

I’m okay if getting these songs means I have to take Stand Up and Smooth Rider as part of the package.

WidespreadMule3 05-21-2018 12:32 PM

Listening to Stand Up: Spotify Live Series and I gotta say, a lot of these songs translate well live.

Really great: Old Dirt Hill, ABI, Smooth Rider, Hello Again, Louisiana Bayou, YMDT
Enjoyable: American Baby, Stand Up, Everybody Wake Up, Hunger
Trash: OOMH, Dreamgirl, SAWG

I'm not by any means saying this is DMB's best efforts. But some of this stuff is better than I remember it. The lyrics are probably the weakest point to most of these songs. But several of these just have really fun music (i.e. Smooth Rider, Stand Up, Hunger).

I wouldn't hate getting any the songs outside the trash the summer. Granted, I'd rather get anything off the big 3 instead but just saying, I'm open to new experiences.

LaLaLaLaHey 05-21-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 17112777)
Listening to Stand Up: Spotify Live Series and I gotta say, a lot of these songs translate well live.

Really great: Old Dirt Hill, ABI, Smooth Rider, Hello Again, Louisiana Bayou, YMDT
Enjoyable: American Baby, Stand Up, Everybody Wake Up, Hunger
Trash: OOMH, Dreamgirl, SAWG

I'm not by any means saying this is DMB's best efforts. But some of this stuff is better than I remember it. The lyrics are probably the weakest point to most of these songs. But several of these just have really fun music (i.e. Smooth Rider, Stand Up, Hunger).

I wouldn't hate getting any the songs outside the trash the summer. Granted, I'd rather get anything off the big 3 instead but just saying, I'm open to new experiences.

There’s a D&T Dreamgirl on Copperpot5. It’s obviously not full band, but it sounds amazing.

Mateo2k 05-21-2018 01:51 PM

I think Dreamgirl works really well live.

morecornbread!! 05-21-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 17104312)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17104435)
Yeah man, totally agree. Big Whiskey is an album I appreciate and it’s quite good, but I think I enjoy the Little Red Bird EP more. I really wish they would have done something similar with Come Tomorrow and given us an EP with Bismarck

I love Big Whiskey and I love the Little Red Bird EP. I want to hear Beach Ball again this summer. It's in my top 10 DMB songs.

WidespreadMule3 05-22-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17112878)
There’s a D&T Dreamgirl on Copperpot5. It’s obviously not full band, but it sounds amazing.

I could see it working D&T much better. It's just blah full band.

NextMovement41 05-22-2018 07:31 AM

I don't miss Boyd. Always thought he was a hack

misschung 05-22-2018 07:35 AM

I feel like Jeff’s horn intro on 41 is lackluster.

snow1868 05-22-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 17113639)
I could see it working D&T much better. It's just blah full band.

I actually don't mind Dreamgirl. I really like the version from the Warehouse 10 v5 disc.

Mateo2k 05-22-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NextMovement41 (Post 17113697)
I don't miss Boyd. Always thought he was a hack

I don’t think hack is the right word.

maythekarma1 05-22-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow1868 (Post 17113707)
I actually don't mind Dreamgirl. I really like the version from the Warehouse 10 v5 disc.

Agree entirely. I think a lot of the Stand Up songs benefit from a retrospective view. Also, a D&T treatment helps a lot. The Dreamgirl in london was insanely good. Ditto Old Dirt Hill.

snow1868 05-22-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maythekarma1 (Post 17113755)
Agree entirely. I think a lot of the Stand Up songs benefit from a retrospective view. Also, a D&T treatment helps a lot. The Dreamgirl in london was insanely good. Ditto Old Dirt Hill.

I still think Stand Up is the one of the worst albums ever and don't really like a lot of the songs, but Dreamgirl doesn't bother me the way it does most around here.

mray10 05-22-2018 09:48 AM

Not my opinion but I was talking to my friend last night who went to the Dallas show. He said the setlist wasn't his favorite. He said: "They just always play Ants and, man, I just hate that song."

So. Yeah.

WidespreadMule3 05-22-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mray10 (Post 17113918)
Not my opinion but I was talking to my friend last night who went to the Dallas show. He said the setlist wasn't his favorite. He said: "They just always play Ants and, man, I just hate that song."

So. Yeah.

I believe this is the thread you were looking for...

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showt...=347082&page=3

ej18 05-22-2018 01:14 PM

I don't get all the hype for "She"...

MiniDingo 05-22-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 17091744)
I'm not upset Boyd is sitting this year out. At all.

I'm the same, but will go one step further...

I'm not upset Boyd is sitting out forever. At all.

cry_minarets458 05-22-2018 07:36 PM

2003 D+T everydays are straight money

currupt3d** 05-22-2018 07:43 PM

Old Dirt Hill D+T (especially radio city) is inching it's way into my top 20ish.

CarsonMac 05-22-2018 08:14 PM

Lillywhite Sessions is my favorite album they’ve ever done. Yes, including the big 3. There is a raw nature about every song, although unfinished, that gives it sense of meaning. I guess it was a little bit of a farewell for the old band that became what they’ve been since ‘01.