Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

DMBCubs25 04-18-2012 09:48 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Well this means that there will be 3 straight years of Vancouver's season ending in hilarious fashion at Rogers Arena!

Bron Yr Aur 04-18-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13539216)
It's situations like this that make me hate the penalty shot. If you don't convert on the shot, you should get the 2 minutes.

Nah....league average conversion rate penalty shots/SO's is something like ~33%. That's certainly a non-negligible improvement in your chances over the best PP's (~25%) or the average PP (less than 20%)....

Giving them both is too much.

lockman21 04-18-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13539293)
Nah....league average conversion rate penalty shots/SO's is something like ~33%. That's certainly a non-negligible improvement in your chances over the best PP's (~25%) or the average PP (less than 20%)....

Giving them both is too much.

It just changes the dynamic of the game, IMO. Had the Kings got the 2 minutes instead of the PS, would that game have gone 3-1? It sucks to have your guy tripped and go right back to the PK.

Bron Yr Aur 04-18-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13539305)
It just changes the dynamic of the game, IMO. Had the Kings got the 2 minutes instead of the PS, would that game have gone 3-1? It sucks to have your guy tripped and go right back to the PK.

Ah, yeah I didn't see it. But I suppose if you are already on the penalty kill then yeah it could be really important to get the 2-min PP and get off the PK.

bartender_man 04-18-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 13539213)
Vancouver looks like Vancouver tonight

No way they win the series though. L.A in 6.

monkeyman68 04-18-2012 10:47 PM

1). Tonight's game was pretty tough to watch

2). Only thing worse than the Flyers game might have been the backread for this thread. WTF happened in here?

3). I'm glad that this game ended the way it did. The Flyers needed a very loud wake-up call. While it is easy to blame a lot of the problems on Brzy (who has been terrible during the last two games), the Flyers D and the Flyers PK have looked awful. Let's be honest, the Flyers aren't going to get to the SCF without playing the Bruins and/or the Rags. I don't see the Flyers getting past either one of those teams if they continue to play defense like this. Hopefully this game allows the team to re-focus their attention to the defensive aspect of their game.

I think it is kinda funny how a lot of Flyers fans seem to be a little rattled at this point. Did anyone think that the Flyers were going to sweep this series when the playoffs started? The Flyers have shown (all season/post season) that they can consistently beat the Pens. The only way that the Flyers loose this series if they get AHL level goaltending for the next 3 games. I just don't see that happening.....

JRS1386 04-19-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13539377)
1). Tonight's game was pretty tough to watch

2). Only thing worse than the Flyers game might have been the backread for this thread. WTF happened in here?

3). I'm glad that this game ended the way it did. The Flyers needed a very loud wake-up call. While it is easy to blame a lot of the problems on Brzy (who has been terrible during the last two games), the Flyers D and the Flyers PK have looked awful. Let's be honest, the Flyers aren't going to get to the SCF without playing the Bruins and/or the Rags. I don't see the Flyers getting past either one of those teams if they continue to play defense like this. Hopefully this game allows the team to re-focus their attention to the defensive aspect of their game.

I think it is kinda funny how a lot of Flyers fans seem to be a little rattled at this point. Did anyone think that the Flyers were going to sweep this series when the playoffs started? The Flyers have shown (all season/post season) that they can consistently beat the Pens. The only way that the Flyers loose this series if they get AHL level goaltending for the next 3 games. I just don't see that happening.....

I hate this argument. Of course no one thought the Flyers would sweep when the series begin, but we also did not know that they would be up 3-0 nor that they would score 20 goals in the first three games when the playoffs started. After the first puck is dropped you can throw what you thought was going to drop right out the window because it rarely goes like expected in the playoffs. Because its the Cup.

dmbetc 04-19-2012 05:27 AM

None of the games went as I wanted last night. Canucks are a different team when both sisters are playing, that's for sure.

Kings still win it though.

TMoore4075 04-19-2012 05:32 AM

So I'm moving to offseason stuff for a second with obvious reasons...Luongo. Starting to think Schneider is their guy now. A lot of media types out there are suggesting this as well. He would be difficult to move but anyone who needs a goalie would be happy even with a guy who hasn't done anything in the postseason but once. Schneider will be cheaper regardless of what he gets in a new contract. Thoughts??

swordo84 04-19-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 13538683)
Can't stand Canada

Don't worry, we don't like the Sens either.

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2012 05:40 AM

Wake-up call was needed. Flyers get back on track on Friday. This team is different from any of the Richards era teams.

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539499)
So I'm moving to offseason stuff for a second with obvious reasons...Luongo. Starting to think Schneider is their guy now. A lot of media types out there are suggesting this as well. He would be difficult to move but anyone who needs a goalie would be happy even with a guy who hasn't done anything in the postseason but once. Schneider will be cheaper regardless of what he gets in a new contract. Thoughts??

The issue I think they'll run into is finding someone to take on Luongo's contract.

seekupig 04-19-2012 05:44 AM

Can anyone tell my why Cooke got kicked out last night? Was at a party and couldn't hear the explanation on tv. Is getting knocked on your ass repeatedly and not retaliating a penalty in hockey?

~Crashintome89~ 04-19-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekupig (Post 13539520)
Can anyone tell my why Cooke got kicked out last night? Was at a party and couldn't hear the explanation on tv. Is getting knocked on your ass repeatedly and not retaliating a penalty in hockey?

When your Matt Cooke, yes it is.

The refs were just being overcautious. They were told by the league to call pretty much everything and they weren't taking any chances with the score being 10-3.

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 05:47 AM

They were going to toss everyone out of that game that was involved in anything whether they were the agressor or not. The last thing those refs wanted was a repeat of game 3.

seekupig 04-19-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13539526)
When your Matt Cooke, yes it is.

The refs were just being overcautious. They were told by the league to call pretty much everything and they weren't taking any chances with the score being 10-3.

so basically they were doing him a favor by taking him out of the situation? makes sense i guess.... thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup

TMoore4075 04-19-2012 05:55 AM

Yeah same with Rinaldo. That crap on Sunday he would have been back out there. They let him get ready for the plane early.

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 05:57 AM

Just a thought do the Leafs have the cap room to take on Luongo? That would be all kinds of awesome.

TMoore4075 04-19-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13539517)
The issue I think they'll run into is finding someone to take on Luongo's contract.

Yeah that'll be the biggest thing. I think it's time for both to part if they can. He's going to be the scapegoat forever now after the Finals last year. He can almost do nothing right. So it would be best for him to get a fresh start and for Vancouver to move on. A lot easier when you have someone like Schneider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13539543)
Just a thought do the Leafs have the cap room to take on Luongo? That would be all kinds of awesome.

No. That 13th place team in the East has 56mil committed to next year. They are one of the teams most desperately in need of a goalie but if Vancouver was tough what will TO be like on him?

seekupig 04-19-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539540)
Yeah same with Rinaldo. That crap on Sunday he would have been back out there. They let him get ready for the plane early.

I guess in my limited hockey watching so far, I haven't really seen NHL officials do something that makes so much sense so it left me confused. :lol

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539546)
Yeah that'll be the biggest thing. I think it's time for both to part if they can. He's going to be the scapegoat forever now after the Finals last year. He can almost do nothing right. So it would be best for him to get a fresh start and for Vancouver to move on. A lot easier when you have someone like Schneider.

No. That 13th place team in the East has 56mil committed to next year. They are one of the teams most desperately in need of a goalie but if Vancouver was tough what will TO be like on him?

The reason I'd love to see him in Toronto is to see him try to handle that pressure. It'd be entertaining to say the least.

bonzo48280 04-19-2012 06:28 AM

I wonder how the NHL their refs are going to bone the Hawks tonight. Should be fun to watch.

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 06:36 AM

Alzner came out yesterday and said he wasn't calling a Lucic a cry baby at the end of game 3 and said he definitely doesn't want to fight him. Pretty funny stuff. Caps dressing Erskine and I'm sure he'll be chasing Lucic around trying to get him to drop em. I really hope Lucic doesn't waste 5 minutes on him.

lockman21 04-19-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539499)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13539517)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539546)

There are teams that need a goaltender that have the cap room, and one of them isn't the Leafs. It all depends on this CBA too. Vancouver might get REALLY lucky depending on the new CBA.

Assuming not much changes on that front, I can see teams like the Jets (who need to resign Evander Kane, Kyle Wellwood and Tanner Glass...but other than that have no real offseason commitments and no goaltenders under contract), Panthers (Tallon has no problem with big contracts and come on...Theodore isn't the answer there), Oil if they can dump Khabibulin somehow, Lightning, etc.

There would be places to move him, the answer just becomes how desperate are those teams for a goaltender and how much does Vancouver ask in return? They'd have to resign Schneider obviously, who I'm guessing would command $3-3.5. They'd have about $3 million to play with then to get in return (assuming the cap doesn't go up or down with the new CBA)...who knows. It'll be a mess, but I think Luongo is done there, yes.

Mateo2k 04-19-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13539635)
Alzner came out yesterday and said he wasn't calling a Lucic a cry baby at the end of game 3 and said he definitely doesn't want to fight him. Pretty funny stuff. Caps dressing Erskine and I'm sure he'll be chasing Lucic around trying to get him to drop em. I really hope Lucic doesn't waste 5 minutes on him.

I believe the Erskine move is more of method to correct faults in defense in game 3, as opposed to "chasing Lucic." That said, if Lucic wants to continue to be a goon, Erskine is not one to step down.

fonzz41 04-19-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13539693)
There are teams that need a goaltender that have the cap room, and one of them isn't the Leafs. It all depends on this CBA too. Vancouver might get REALLY lucky depending on the new CBA.

Assuming not much changes on that front, I can see teams like the Jets (who need to resign Evander Kane, Kyle Wellwood and Tanner Glass...but other than that have no real offseason commitments and no goaltenders under contract), Panthers (Tallon has no problem with big contracts and come on...Theodore isn't the answer there), Oil if they can dump Khabibulin somehow, Lightning, etc.

There would be places to move him, the answer just becomes how desperate are those teams for a goaltender and how much does Vancouver ask in return? They'd have to resign Schneider obviously, who I'm guessing would command $3-3.5. They'd have about $3 million to play with then to get in return (assuming the cap doesn't go up or down with the new CBA)...who knows. It'll be a mess, but I think Luongo is done there, yes.

I think another question - albeit a crazy one - that also needs to be considered is: If the Canucks CAN'T move Luongo because of his contract, do they attempt to move Schneider for a good return? You have to imagine a team like Tampa would be licking their chops for someone like him.

That being said, if I'm the Canucks I would definitely want Luongo over Schneider at this point. But all sides need to be considered.

TMoore4075 04-19-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 13539693)

The problem is his NTC. Would he go to Edmonton or Winnipeg? Florida he might go back to. A better situation there than when he left. Plus he could really take that team to the next level. Cup? No I don't think so not with the team that's there but he could make them a playoff team on a regular basis. Not just cause they are in a crappy division.

dduncan6er 04-19-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 13539694)
I believe the Erskine move is more of method to correct faults in defense in game 3, as opposed to "chasing Lucic." That said, if Lucic wants to continue to be a goon, Erskine is not one to step down.

Lucic was far from a goon last game. But if Caps fans want to believe what their moron of a head coach and local media say more power to them. And I'm not sure putting in a guy that played 26 regular season games and was a healthy scratch for quite a few games is really a move to sure up the defense.

lockman21 04-19-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13539717)
I think another question - albeit a crazy one - that also needs to be considered is: If the Canucks CAN'T move Luongo because of his contract, do they attempt to move Schneider for a good return? You have to imagine a team like Tampa would be licking their chops for someone like him.

That being said, if I'm the Canucks I would definitely want Luongo over Schneider at this point. But all sides need to be considered.

I think they would move Schneider. There's no chance they retain both after this postseason. They don't really have much cap space, and can't afford to waste about $9-$10 million on 2 goaltenders. He's a RFA, so he'll sign something somewhere that gets him paid. The Canucks would be stupid to not trade his negotiating rights somewhere. If they wait, all that's going to happen is they get presented an offer sheet that they can't match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13539719)
The problem is his NTC. Would he go to Edmonton or Winnipeg? Florida he might go back to. A better situation there than when he left. Plus he could really take that team to the next level. Cup? No I don't think so not with the team that's there but he could make them a playoff team on a regular basis. Not just cause they are in a crappy division.

Personally, I think he'd welcome being traded somewhere that he isn't under such a fine microscope. Florida seems like a likely destination. How about the Devils? Strange thought, but Brodeur's contract is finally up. I know they have a lot of priorities other than that (*cough* Parise *cough*), but they only have $22 million committed to next season (granted they don't really have anything close to a team either but, whatever :lol )

I think they more likely scenario is keeping Luongo and trading Schneider's negotiating rights for a draft pick considering Luongo's NTC and cap hit/contract length, but now that Schneider is getting starts in the playoffs (and won a game), who knows.

UCFish 04-19-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13539612)
I wonder how the NHL their refs are going to bone the Hawks tonight. Should be fun to watch.

They will find a way....no doubt in my mind.