Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Bron Yr Aur 06-29-2016 04:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Chiarelli. What in the actual fuck are you doing.

The Subban / Weber trade seems somewhat fair. Risky for the Preds if Weber retires, that's for sure.

lockman21 06-29-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16493821)
This sounds weird but I want the Wings to do nothing big on Friday. Maybe try and re-sign Helm and make a move for a top defenseman and other than that let the kids play. None of the players out there are worth what they are gonna get. None.

I hope Backes signs in Detroit just so I can hate him more.

TMoore4075 06-29-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16493929)
I hope Backes signs in Detroit just so I can hate him more.

I will not watch a game if they sign him.

fonzz41 06-29-2016 08:24 PM

I can't wait to buy my first Red Wings jersey.... #42

salrx95 06-30-2016 04:26 AM

Crazy day, huh. At work and all of a sudden, my phone is blowing up like mad. A lot of teams disappointed.

Feel bad for Subban. Guy donates 10 million to the children's hospital and they have that big banner of him up and now management runs him out of town.

As for Edmonton, I think Chiarelli got fleeced big time. He is banking on Larsson taking that next step of development. Seen reports already that a pick or 2 could have gone the other way.

TB cap situation about to get real interesting.

I'm off the next 2 days before working the next 5 so I'll be glued to nhl news the next 2 days. I get how worse my team gets while we settle for someone like Perron to ride shotgun with JT.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 04:31 AM

You guys think I'm joking but I'm not. Okposo and Martin are the only two UFAs that I'd even consider. All the rest are older and not worth the term. Even those two aren't worth the money but I could at least try to accept it. Just cause you have the money doesn't mean you have to use it. Just let the kids play. At worst you finish worse and draft higher. At least you'll see how good the kids are and you aren't locked into bad contracts.

salrx95 06-30-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16494640)
You guys think I'm joking but I'm not. Okposo and Martin are the only two UFAs that I'd even consider. All the rest are older and not worth the term. Even those two aren't worth the money but I could at least try to accept it. Just cause you have the money doesn't mean you have to use it. Just let the kids play. At worst you finish worse and draft higher. At least you'll see how good the kids are and you aren't locked into bad contracts.

Sad you think those 2 are worth yet Snow hasn't even spoken to their agents. :lorraine:lorraine

I can understand it, though. If Okposo gets 7-8 per and we give him that, we are committed to Tavares and Okposo being our top 2 for the foreseeable future and Okposo, while great and I love him isn't worth the money he will get. He is better as the 3rd.

Martin has had to accumulate some wear leading the league in hits for 5 straight years. He is arguably the best player in the community I've seen in a while and is a great teammate too. He deserves whatever he gets but I can see him not being worth the 3 million a year towards end of his deal.

I wish them well.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16494653)
Sad you think those 2 are worth yet Snow hasn't even spoken to their agents. :lorraine:lorraine

I can understand it, though. If Okposo gets 7-8 per and we give him that, we are committed to Tavares and Okposo being our top 2 for the foreseeable future and Okposo, while great and I love him isn't worth the money he will get. He is better as the 3rd.

Martin has had to accumulate some wear leading the league in hits for 5 straight years. He is arguably the best player in the community I've seen in a while and is a great teammate too. He deserves whatever he gets but I can see him not being worth the 3 million a year towards end of his deal.

I wish them well.

I can see from a NYI point of view not seeing their value when JT's contract coming up. Okposo I don't do 7mil and the Wings don't have anyone who could command 10mil in a couple years. Martin, even though he's gonna get overpaid, that one I'm surprised. Everyone seems to love him and he's the kind of guy every team wants. Yes overpayment but....As for the wear on him I understand that, the positive is he's still pretty young. Backes who has also played physical, though not quite that level, is 32....and he turned down a 3 year deal from the Blues. He wants more than 3 years...teams should RUN.

I do have one more person to add to my list that I'd accept for a cheap one year deal that is Eric Staal. He seems to want to prove himself and that type of motivation and have Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Abdelkader and maybe Mantha to play with.

As for Subban I do feel for him. He put so much into that community and his team sure didn't seem to like him and I think his personality was the reason he was traded. He is also very much liked by the fans. We talk about Larsson having to prove himself in Edmonton, there is a level of that with Weber as well. Not skill wise but he's gonna have to win the fans over and he's nowhere near the personality of PK. My view of if it makes the team better is if they are able to add a skilled player or two up front and Price is healthy and they win it all, can anyone honestly tell me they couldn't have done it with Subban instead of Weber? Until this team addresses it's forward issue, Weber doesn't make a difference.

salrx95 06-30-2016 05:05 AM

Staal being rumored to the Islanders, too, as a fall back if Frans somehow leaves, too.

If I lose all 3, I'll be crushed.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16494669)
Staal being rumored to the Islanders, too, as a fall back if Frans somehow leaves, too.

If I lose all 3, I'll be crushed.

That would be crushing to me too. What do you think they do if they lose all of them? And how good would they be next year?

Okposo as a possibility for my team but I think Martin, Staal on a one year deal and then try to get Shattenkirk (ha shat) or Fowler via trade. Fowler is safer with 2 years still left at his salary and he's local. Then just see what happens. This team can improve a lot with the just the guys they have. Nyquist, Tatar and Abby have better years and that alone helps.

Friday will be boring compared to yesterday. Although we thought Seth Jones was gonna be the big news of yesterday....

aeroshady 06-30-2016 06:20 AM

So, I have been away for a day. Did I miss anything? I still think Stamkos will sign with Detroit for sure!

salrx95 06-30-2016 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16494690)
That would be crushing to me too. What do you think they do if they lose all of them? And how good would they be next year?

Okposo as a possibility for my team but I think Martin, Staal on a one year deal and then try to get Shattenkirk (ha shat) or Fowler via trade. Fowler is safer with 2 years still left at his salary and he's local. Then just see what happens. This team can improve a lot with the just the guys they have. Nyquist, Tatar and Abby have better years and that alone helps.

Friday will be boring compared to yesterday. Although we thought Seth Jones was gonna be the big news of yesterday....

Snow keeps everything close to the vest and very little gets out so no one knows. Perron was yesterday's rumor but he doesn't make us better. I suppose Ladd would welcomed but I don't see that for a variety of reasons.

If , say, a perron is the best we wind up with and at keep Frans, we are not as good a team as last year unless players like Strome and Brock Nelson rebound to 50 point seasons with 20 plus goals each.

JRS1386 06-30-2016 06:45 AM

I used to have a little bit of dread mixed with excitement during free agency, but with Hextall at the helm I am not too worried about the Flyers doing something dumb

barbogast 06-30-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16494858)
I used to have a little bit of dread mixed with excitement during free agency, but with Hextall at the helm I am not too worried about the Flyers doing something dumb

Pretty much how I feel about Mac. I've fallen pretty hard for the guy.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16494858)

You mean like Demers getting the rumored $5.5mil he will get on the open market?

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 24-48 hours. Lucic is all but done. The rumored deals out there....so dumb. Backes wants more than 3 years, Ladd could get 6, Okposo at $7mil, Eriksson wants 5-6 years at age 31 and crap like that. Last year teams stayed away from the real dumb deals and I was pleasantly surprised. Not so sure about tomorrow.

swordo84 06-30-2016 07:19 AM

Yup, its still a stupid fuckin' trade gang. fml.

More ice cream please.

lockman21 06-30-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16494949)
Yup, its still a stupid fuckin' trade gang. fml.

More ice cream please.

Look on the bright side - Oilers still have Yak!

fonzz41 06-30-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16494632)
Feel bad for Subban. Guy donates 10 million to the children's hospital and they have that big banner of him up and now management runs him out of town.

Absolutely. But in the end, I think this will be a better situation for him.

Over the past couple seasons, Nashville has proven to be a city that WANTS to love their hockey team. The support they got in last years' playoffs was unbelievable, especially with all the country stars coming out of the woodworks to support the team. I think that with that, the team has really been looking for that enthusiastic, extroverted star presence that they can really market around. I mean, they had Fisher (Underwood), Weber, Josi, Forsberg, etc., but they are all pretty quiet and reserved. Subban is out there, with a big smile and tons of panache and braggadocio. A team and city like Nashville won't repress his personality like it appears Montreal did. I think it's what Nashville needs and wants, and in that sense I think he'll be a great fit.

swordo84 06-30-2016 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16495003)
Look on the bright side - Oilers still have Yak!

Hmmm, good point :lol

They really have to sign both Lucic and Demers for this nonsensical trade to make any sort of sense.

We just got fleeced so hard on it - hard to fathom. Apparently the ask from MTL for Subban was the 4th overall pick, Draisaitl, Nurse and a couple plugs. Can't blame them for not doing that one anyway.

hailtopitt 06-30-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16495029)
Absolutely. But in the end, I think this will be a better situation for him.

Over the past couple seasons, Nashville has proven to be a city that WANTS to love their hockey team. The support they got in last years' playoffs was unbelievable, especially with all the country stars coming out of the woodworks to support the team. I think that with that, the team has really been looking for that enthusiastic, extroverted star presence that they can really market around. I mean, they had Fisher (Underwood), Weber, Josi, Forsberg, etc., but they are all pretty quiet and reserved. Subban is out there, with a big smile and tons of panache and braggadocio. A team and city like Nashville won't repress his personality like it appears Montreal did. I think it's what Nashville needs and wants, and in that sense I think he'll be a great fit.

poor guy has to go from Quebec to Nashville

i guess it could be worse. it could be European soccer

salrx95 06-30-2016 08:32 AM

Rumor has it Ladd is on Long Island today. Get it done Snow. Would rather Okposo and surely not first choice but worried about leaving tomorrow empty so I'd easily "settle" for Ladd.

fonzz41 06-30-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16495076)
poor guy has to go from Quebec to Nashville

i guess it could be worse. it could be European soccer

But again, I know the guy totally devoted himself to the city of Montreal, but I think personality-wise he'll really be allowed to flourish in Nashville. I think he can do a lot for the team in the community in terms of really putting a face to the team.

He'll certainly do a lot more there than he will in Nashville's defensive end.

:mic drop

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 09:06 AM

@TSNBobMcKenzie:
Buyout waivers: Korpikoski (EDM), Carle (TB), Boll (CBJ), Seidenberg (BOS), Greene (LA), Jackman (NSH).

Wings fans were upset that the Wings didn't sign Carle after losing out on Suter in 2012. A reminder to be careful what you wish for tomorrow.

fonzz41 06-30-2016 09:20 AM

Would love for the Avs to pick up someone like Jackman or Greene on the cheap for their 3rd pair.

lockman21 06-30-2016 09:24 AM

Sounds like Brian Campbell is all but signed (July 1) with the Blackhawks.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16495287)

Huet coming back too? Would only be fitting.

fonzz41 06-30-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16495287)

Screw him, you got Rosival back!!!

salrx95 06-30-2016 10:02 AM

Per Staple, isles lead beat writer, isles could have had Hall if Hamonic was offered because that is what Edmonton wanted but Staple said if islanders traded Hamonic after all he went through and rescinding trade demand ", the team may have staged a coup".

He also put out that he thinks islanders will be in on a trade with a cap strapped team like tb (mentioning Killorn) . Worked with boychuk and leddy. Go for it.

He also thinks team like Detroit, buffalo might look to Frans after losing out on Stamkos. Ugh.

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16495409)
He also thinks team like Detroit, buffalo might look to Frans after losing out on Stamkos. Ugh.

No thanks. I don't think he makes them that much better for the price he's gonna get. My thought process on this has been does the player or players make you better than the playoff bubble team you are right now? If the answer is no, don't do it. Spend $12-13mil on 2nd tier players and miss the playoffs or don't spend it and miss the playoffs?

TMoore4075 06-30-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16495066)
Hmmm, good point :lol

They really have to sign both Lucic and Demers for this nonsensical trade to make any sort of sense.

We just got fleeced so hard on it - hard to fathom. Apparently the ask from MTL for Subban was the 4th overall pick, Draisaitl, Nurse and a couple plugs. Can't blame them for not doing that one anyway.

Rumor of Looch for 6.5milx7. Ya know...to make you feel better.....IF that's true I just don't get it. He scored 20 goals last year.