Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 05-22-2018 08:08 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (Hot takes! Caps still 1n!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17115103)
What a joke espn has become. Look at this list of the 100 most famous athletes currently playing. Not one NHL player is on this list. Also, they list people who play golf! Golf is a game, not a sport.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...-fame-100-2018

This is the about least surprising thing from ESPN.

JRS1386 05-22-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

What a joke espn has become. Look at this list of the 100 most famous athletes currently playing. Not one NHL player is on this list. Also, they list people who play golf! Golf is a game, not a sport.

Dude, ESPN has a formula, plugs numbers in and picks whoever meets it. I don't think its a slight against hockey when their criteria is 1) How often you get searched for 2) $ in Endorsement deals 3) social media followers

jrkarger 05-23-2018 05:46 AM

That list isn’t that surprising or that unreasonable IMO. It’s a world famous list not a North American famous list. Maybe you could make an argument for Sid or Ovi being in there instead of some of the lady tennis or Chinese swimmers. But, I think that’s about it given how popular soccer, cricket, golf, and tennis are outside of the US and Canada.

I think the most surprising thing was Brady being that low.

Dramageek 05-23-2018 05:49 AM

The list is for “world famous” athletes, whatever that means. Hockey and American baseball are more niche. However, there are ten (!) cricket players, one badminton (!) player and two table tennis players, because India and China have huge populations I guess.

mthawk07 05-23-2018 06:01 AM

Great cricket players in India are famous to around a billion people. Great baseball players in America are famous to about 300 million at the absolute most (but in reality far far less than that).

jrkarger 05-23-2018 06:10 AM

I honestly can’t think of a baseball player playing right now that is on a transcendent level like Lebron, Brady, or even Sid and Ovi.

Disclaimer: I fully acknowledge that while Sid and Ovi dominate their sport like lebron and Brady hockey is still not nearly as well known as basketball or football. My parents know who Sid is because they live here. I doubt they know who Ovi is. They know lebron and Brady. I’m sure my dad knows Messi and Ronaldo

aeroshady 05-23-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Agreed with your assement of ESPN. I don't agree with your assement of Golf :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17115576)
Great cricket players in India are famous to around a billion people. Great baseball players in America are famous to about 300 million at the absolute most (but in reality far far less than that).

Yeah, this post is very accurate. I have been watching cricket for a few years now, and I am always so surprised how popular that sport really is everywhere but here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17115589)
I honestly can’t think of a baseball player playing right now that is on a transcendent level like Lebron, Brady, or even Sid and Ovi.

Disclaimer: I fully acknowledge that while Sid and Ovi dominate their sport like lebron and Brady hockey is still not nearly as well known as basketball or football. My parents know who Sid is because they live here. I doubt they know who Ovi is. They know lebron and Brady. I’m sure my dad knows Messi and Ronaldo

Basketball is definitely there on the world stage now. However, people in America still really have blinders on when it comes to the NFL style football. It really is not popular at all around the world.

Lcsulla 05-23-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17115610)
Agreed with your assement of ESPN. I don't agree with your assement of Golf :lol

Yeah, this post is very accurate. I have been watching cricket for a few years now, and I am always so surprised how popular that sport really is everywhere but here.

Basketball is definitely there on the world stage now. However, people in America still really have blinders on when it comes to the NFL style football. It really is not popular at all around the world.

I only classify golf as a game rather than a sport because no one is actively trying to stop you from accomplishing your goal. I know that standard applies to most track and field events but in a a game like pool )which no one considers a sport) someone is trying to defend against you - or at least I always play that way by leaving balls near a pocket so someone has to waste a shot to clear my ball out of the way. :)

Agreed on cricket, I travel a lot and that is on everywhere. That said I can never figure out what they are trying to accomplish after the ball is hit. :lol

~Crashintome89~ 05-23-2018 07:13 AM

golf is definitely a sport.

Climb2safety 05-23-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17115681)
golf is definitely a sport.

Of course it is.

jrkarger 05-23-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17115610)

My post to which you responded was more regarding baseball in North America. Other than that I would agree with you to a degree. However with that said, I’m sure Tom Brady has world wide recognition at this point much like Messi, Ronaldo, and even David Beckham have here

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17115558)
That list isn’t that surprising or that unreasonable IMO. It’s a world famous list not a North American famous list. Maybe you could make an argument for Sid or Ovi being in there instead of some of the lady tennis or Chinese swimmers. But, I think that’s about it given how popular soccer, cricket, golf, and tennis are outside of the US and Canada.

I think the most surprising thing was Brady being that low.

You contradicted yourself in the same post - football is an North American only sport :lol :lol :lol

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2018 08:17 AM

Golf is a 100% a sport - I define a 'Sport' as any competition that draws a relevant audience.

eSports is a sport

barbogast 05-23-2018 01:00 PM

Nice to see the Caps good and loose before tonight’s franchise-defining game

https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...in-game-seven/

You dig in with that body mass and weight, Barry

Go Caps

mthawk07 05-23-2018 01:10 PM

I don’t know, I think Trotz could get out there for a line or two and lay some wood. :lol

bradshaw06 05-23-2018 01:41 PM

Caps are winning tonight unless vasi stands on his head

barbogast 05-23-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17116466)
Caps are winning tonight unless vasi stands on his head

Or if it’s a bad start

They need a save from Holtby early. They can’t come out flat and fall behind in the first couple minutes

Roose13 05-23-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17115589)

If Mike Trout played on the East Coast he would be bigger than he is already. Though I'd argue he's transcendent already, just not in the public way those losers Bron and Brady are ;)

TheLastPig 05-23-2018 01:51 PM

I actually do expect the caps to win tonight.

Roose13 05-23-2018 01:54 PM

I'm offended John Cena isn't on that list :lol:lol

fonzz41 05-23-2018 02:32 PM

Put Tom Wilson on that list or GTFO of my life.

mthawk07 05-23-2018 02:53 PM

If this game doesn't go to OT, it will have only been the third series in the Ovechkin era to not have an OT game. So clearly it's going to OT, right?

Climb2safety 05-23-2018 02:54 PM

Damn. Nerves set to overload just thinking about tonight.

Climb2safety 05-23-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17116581)
If this game doesn't go to OT, it will have only been the third series in the Ovechkin era to not have an OT game. So clearly it's going to OT, right?

No. Because they have never won any of those other games.

Roose13 05-23-2018 03:07 PM

I hope it goes to OT

barbogast 05-23-2018 03:08 PM

Probably time to start drinking, eh?

Climb2safety 05-23-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17116604)

This is what we train for

barbogast 05-23-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 17116610)
This is what we train for

It’s moments like this where we learn what we’re really made of

mthawk07 05-23-2018 03:56 PM

I have four beers, about a quarter of a bottle of Woodford, and no work tomorrow. Bottoms up!

Brohan_Santana 05-23-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17116604)

Had a work sponsored trivia with open tab - already started at 4:30. Put the game out of mind until now

Let’s believe!