Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

SirBobalew 02-22-2016 09:10 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Completely agree with what Barbs has said. The folks writing those things have not lived through it, nor have they lived through being a Redskins, Nationals, and Wizards fan the past 25 years. We've been through this numerous times. From the Caps being swept in their only Cup Final appearance, to 2010 when we got Halak'd, to the Wizards being consistently bad, finally showing some promise last year, to sucking this year, to the Nationals being so good in the regular season in 2012, Werth's walkoff in game 4, then taking a 6-0 lead in game 5 only to blow it, fans here have grown to expect to choke in the postseason until some team proves otherwise. Is this the best team the Capitals have had in their history? Without doubt. But they still need to shake the choking dogs label they've rightfully earned with all the 3-1 series leads they've blown and all the times they've otherwise underperformed in the playoffs over the years. Plus, if (when) they blow it again this year, it will be the most embarrassing one yet because of how dominant they've been in the regular season.

barbogast 02-22-2016 11:40 AM

Quite honestly I'm not really looking forward to the playoffs. I know that sounds crazy but I'm just not. Too much expectation. Going to be insanely stressful. Feels like this might be the year, for real this time, and that's kinda terrifying because it probably won't be :lol

SirBobalew 02-22-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16309356)
Quite honestly I'm not really looking forward to the playoffs. I know that sounds crazy but I'm just not. Too much expectation. Going to be insanely stressful. Feels like this might be the year, for real this time, and that's kinda terrifying because it probably won't be :lol

I'm going to be out of the country on my honeymoon from May 11-18, so if we're still in the playoffs, that at least will help take my mind off of it for a week. Then when I come home if they're still in it, I can be pleasantly surprised and start stressing then.

barbogast 02-22-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16309365)
I'm going to be out of the country on my honeymoon from May 11-18, so if we're still in the playoffs, that at least will help take my mind off of it for a week. Then when I come home if they're still in it, I can be pleasantly surprised and start stressing then.

I'm probably going to the Outer Banks for the last full week in May and I'm really hoping to spend a few nights in a bar watching hockey. That would be sweet

Also, speaking of honeymoons, my flight to Hawaii for mine happened during the exact time the Rags and Caps played game 7 in 2013 (that's the one we lost 5-0 on home ice, for those wondering). We flew out of LA like 45 minutes before puck drop and I was in a no wifi zone over the Pacific Ocean for the entirety of the game. I remember as soon as the wheels hit the runway in Honolulu I checked the score, laughed out loud, and said to my wife, "Caps got hammered. At least we're in Hawaii!". That's our team :lol

Brohan_Santana 02-22-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16309131)
Completely agree with what Barbs has said. The folks writing those things have not lived through it, nor have they lived through being a Redskins, Nationals, and Wizards fan the past 25 years. We've been through this numerous times. From the Caps being swept in their only Cup Final appearance, to 2010 when we got Halak'd, to the Wizards being consistently bad, finally showing some promise last year, to sucking this year, to the Nationals being so good in the regular season in 2012, Werth's walkoff in game 4, then taking a 6-0 lead in game 5 only to blow it, fans here have grown to expect to choke in the postseason until some team proves otherwise. Is this the best team the Capitals have had in their history? Without doubt. But they still need to shake the choking dogs label they've rightfully earned with all the 3-1 series leads they've blown and all the times they've otherwise underperformed in the playoffs over the years. Plus, if (when) they blow it again this year, it will be the most embarrassing one yet because of how dominant they've been in the regular season.

I think the 2010 one would still top as the most embarrassing. But anything short of Finals appearance is going to be rough. I truly honestly think that this is the year they get that monkey of the back and make it to the Cup finals. Everything is coming together as the team. The culture is much different than years past. The Caps core group of players played during some pretty shitty regimes, and it's not something you can't change in 1 season, yet Caps came 5 minutes from shutting down the Rangers.

JRS1386 02-22-2016 03:10 PM

2010 was an excellent year of playoff hockey

SirBobalew 02-22-2016 06:00 PM

As I sit here at the Verizon Center waiting for the third period to start,I will say the biggest difference between this Caps team and the ones of past years is that when the other team scores first, I'm not nearly as panicked as I used to be. And I don't think the team is either.

unccrombie 02-22-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16309834)
As I sit here at the Verizon Center waiting for the third period to start,I will say the biggest difference between this Caps team and the ones of past years is that when the other team scores first, I'm not nearly as panicked as I used to be. And I don't think the team is either.

let's goooooooooooo caps
:lol

barbogast 02-22-2016 06:49 PM

92 points and there's still games left in February. I mean it is pretty impressive

unccrombie 02-22-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16309915)
92 points and there's still games left in February. I mean it is pretty impressive

The star-studded Canadiens of 1976-77 are responsible for setting the standard with 132 points. Not only did they lose once at home, they only lost eight times all season (60-8-12), and had a points percentage of .825. They finished 20 points better than their closest competitor (Philadelphia) and had a plus-219 goal differential.

Since that season four teams have topped 120 points. Detroit came closest with 131 points in 1995-96. The closest since then were the 2005-06 Red Wings, who had 124 points.

~Crashintome89~ 02-22-2016 08:01 PM

and in neither of those years did the Red Wings win the Cup. ;)

kev87lads 02-22-2016 09:44 PM

What's the Cup?

JRS1386 02-23-2016 04:06 AM

Thing that protect your balls

TMoore4075 02-23-2016 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16309971)
The star-studded Canadiens of 1976-77 are responsible for setting the standard with 132 points. Not only did they lose once at home, they only lost eight times all season (60-8-12), and had a points percentage of .825. They finished 20 points better than their closest competitor (Philadelphia) and had a plus-219 goal differential.

Since that season four teams have topped 120 points. Detroit came closest with 131 points in 1995-96. The closest since then were the 2005-06 Red Wings, who had 124 points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16310015)
and in neither of those years did the Red Wings win the Cup. ;)

No they did not. I think I brought this up a week or so ago. It's the case of, who cares about having such a fabulous regular season? Wings first Cup of the current era, that team had 94 points. Granted that was 19 years ago and point totals are different now but still they went from 131 to 94 and that 97 team was probably the best overall team the Wings ever had. 16-4 in the playoffs and started 2-2 so they finished 14-2. Were those 96 and 06 (oddly 10 years part that I look at it) fun to watch during the regular season? Abso-fucking-lutely. But watching them struggling like hell in 06 against the Oilers was painful to watch.

I'd also like to point out that Habs team that had 132 points, didn't have the benefit of OT. They could have had more if those 12 games went to OT.

barbogast 02-23-2016 05:33 AM

It's just amazing how badly things have gone for Montreal since December. It's truly remarkable. Remember when the Canadiens won like 14 out of their first 15 or something like that? That was this year. Incredible.

unccrombie 02-23-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16310240)
It's just amazing how badly things have gone for Montreal since December. It's truly remarkable. Remember when the Canadiens won like 14 out of their first 15 or something like that? That was this year. Incredible.

yeah, I placed a bet on who'd lose first. Canadiens or Warriors :lol

Roose13 02-23-2016 05:38 AM

I'm okay with. I hate that fanbase so much. Worse than the Dallas Cowboys fanbase when you're talking about being smug for no reason.

TMoore4075 02-23-2016 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16310240)

Yeah everyone kept wondering if they were on pace for a record year..well they were on pace but if they'd get it. Losing the best goalie will hurt you but I think I said the other day, if they are this bad without just their goalie...they really aren't that good of a team. 10-26 since December 1st I think. That's counting L's just as...L's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16310251)
I'm okay with. I hate that fanbase so much. Worse than the Dallas Cowboys fanbase when you're talking about being smug for no reason.

Yeah they are a pissy little fan base. Comboys are a good comparison. "We were good X # of years ago so..." OK and now you are? I've told the story before when I saw them play the Habs back in 08-09 some drunk fan was yelling at some Wings fans who were talking shit I'm sure, but you are in the Red Wings home rink and the Wings won the Cup 5 months earlier, and I could see he was trying to be like "we have more banners." OK, and no one will probably EVER catch them with 24 so that argument will hold true for a very long time if the Habs win nothing. If in 20 years the Habs don't win anything are you still gonna use that argument? Back in 83 when the Wings were drafting Yzerman 3rd overall they had 7 Cups and the Isles just won their 4 straight for their 4th overall. I wouldn't have been like well the Wings have Cups....

barbogast 02-23-2016 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16310251)

This is true. I think every hockey fan who isn't a Habs fan is perfectly fine with them being an embarrassment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16310276)
Yeah everyone kept wondering if they were on pace for a record year..well they were on pace but if they'd get it. Losing the best goalie will hurt you but I think I said the other day, if they are this bad without just their goalie...they really aren't that good of a team. 10-26 since December 1st I think. That's counting L's just as...L's.

You did say that, and you're absolutely right. The thing is, Condon started out ok. And he certainly hasn't been the only problem. It's throughout the whole lineup. Just incredible how all four wheels seemingly fell off at the same time. I can't remember a team that's fallen quite this hard over the course of half a season.

TMoore4075 02-23-2016 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16310291)
You did say that, and you're absolutely right. The thing is, Condon started out ok. And he certainly hasn't been the only problem. It's throughout the whole lineup. Just incredible how all four wheels seemingly fell off at the same time. I can't remember a team that's fallen quite this hard over the course of half a season.

I'm just happy cause it keeps my very inconsistent team in the playoff picture. I shouldn't be talking bad about goalies as my 5.3mil backup was struggling for a while. Although he looked pretty damn good on Sunday. Hope that keeps up. It'll help his trade value after the season.

unccrombie 02-23-2016 06:07 AM

You know, I secretly root for a guy like Condon. Much like I was pulling for Talbot last year with the NYR. I'm fairly independent of my view on players from teams and I ALWAYS hate seeing goalies get the blame for not keeping their team in it. A backup getting thrust in to the starting job in a hectic eastern conference is no small task. Just me rooting for him from a success standpoint.

TMoore4075 02-23-2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16310299)
You know, I secretly root for a guy like Condon. Much like I was pulling for Talbot last year with the NYR. I'm fairly independent of my view on players from teams and I ALWAYS hate seeing goalies get the blame for not keeping their team in it. A backup getting thrust in to the starting job in a hectic eastern conference is no small task. Just me rooting for him from a success standpoint.

Kinda like rooting for the underdog. I always root for the lower seeds come playoff time, unless my team is the higher seed of course. Just a lot more fun when a team who isn't expected to do much goes on a run. They seem to be enjoying that much more being the underdog.

unccrombie 02-23-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16310302)
Kinda like rooting for the underdog. I always root for the lower seeds come playoff time, unless my team is the higher seed of course. Just a lot more fun when a team who isn't expected to do much goes on a run. They seem to be enjoying that much more being the underdog.

sort of. I just like seeing people excel when given the chance, as I have been in their spot too.

hailtopitt 02-23-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16310124)
What's the Cup?

:lol:lol

SirBobalew 02-23-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16310124)
What's the Cup?

:lol:lol:lol

The old one around here now is that there's a new drink called an Alex Ovechkin. It's a white Russian on ice served with no cup. :BANG

barbogast 02-23-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16310476)
:lol:lol:lol

The old one around here now is that there's a new drink called an Alex Ovechkin. It's a white Russian on ice served with no cup. :BANG

Yeah I've heard that one before. Heard it as a Sidney Crosby walks into a bar joke.

Bartender: whatcha drinkin', Sid?

"I'll take an Ovie"

"What's an Ovie?"

etc

SirBobalew 02-23-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16310481)
Yeah I've heard that one before. Heard it as a Sidney Crosby walks into a bar joke.

Bartender: whatcha drinkin', Sid?

"I'll take an Ovie"

"What's an Ovie?"

etc

Off topic, but your signature quote is still my favorite.

barbogast 02-23-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16310483)
Off topic, but your signature quote is still my favorite.

Happens to be mine as well! :lol

SirBobalew 02-23-2016 08:00 AM

What a game from Jumbo Joe last night. Just glad it wasn't four goals so we didn't have to witness what he said he'd do if he ever found the back of the net four times in one game :lol

Roose13 02-23-2016 08:48 AM

Kinda bummed we don't have a regularly posting Habs fan in here. Would be hysterical.