Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 07-17-2014 10:05 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

The line for the Cup in Sea Isle was super long. Also, WIP dudes were there trying to bait John Stevens in saying something negative about either Philly or LA in regards to comparing fans, because seriously, I think more people were in Sea Isle than in LA :lol

fonzz41 07-17-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15492361)
Stanley's?! I've unfortunately never been, it's over in the Delta/US Airways terminal. I saw it recently as I was running to catch a US Airways flight, but didn't have a chance to eat there. Any good?

Yes, that's the one. Food was what you'd expect from an airport restaurant (decent but overpriced). More of an experience type place. Really cool how they have most of the player's sweaters hung up around the place. I sat at the Seabrook table (really it was just a table with a Seabrook sweater framed and hanging next to it).

fonzz41 07-17-2014 10:20 AM

Have you guys seen the Face of the Franchise thing espn.com is doing? Letting fans vote on a single player from each team (past or present) who is the true face of the overall franchise. They already done "newer" teams like FLA, NAS, and MIN, but today's was a good one: Detroit.

It seems to be down to two guys: Yzerman and Howe. While I feel a certain affinity for Stevie as I grew up watching him play, there's still something to be said for the majesty that was Gordie Howe - what he meant to both the Red Wings and hockey as a whole. I think Howe narrowly gets my vote.

Thoughts?

TMoore4075 07-17-2014 10:29 AM

Having not watched Gordie play it's hard for me to say him while I watched Stevie play when they were winning all the time. Gordie started Hockeytown but Stevie brought it back to prominence. So my vote is for Stevie. And Stevie had his offense. I didn't see the years he was scoring 155 points.

kev87lads 07-17-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15492718)
Anyone else see Stuart Scott's speech at the ESPY's last night? Wow is all I can say.

Gonna try and catch this tonight. Heard it was really good. Makes grown men cry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15493469)
Have you guys seen the Face of the Franchise thing espn.com is doing? Letting fans vote on a single player from each team (past or present) who is the true face of the overall franchise. They already done "newer" teams like FLA, NAS, and MIN, but today's was a good one: Detroit.

It seems to be down to two guys: Yzerman and Howe. While I feel a certain affinity for Stevie as I grew up watching him play, there's still something to be said for the majesty that was Gordie Howe - what he meant to both the Red Wings and hockey as a whole. I think Howe narrowly gets my vote.

Thoughts?

I'd pick Yzerman over Howe, simply for when I've been alive bias. But I wonder, without seeing the article/vote, how close Lidstrom came to the top?

salrx95 07-17-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15492718)
Anyone else see Stuart Scott's speech at the ESPY's last night? Wow is all I can say.

I watched it this morning. What a great a speech. He nailed it. He looked good considering what he said he recently went through. Valvano looked good, too, for his speech and if you ever read how he was doing even in the hours leading up to when he took the stage, you'd be amazed at how good he looked that night, too. I sure hope he can beat it again, though I have my doubts unfortunately.

Boo-Yah to you Stuart.

daveshookme 07-17-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15494727)
I watched it this morning. What a great a speech. He nailed it. He looked good considering what he said he recently went through. Valvano looked good, too, for his speech and if you ever read how he was doing even in the hours leading up to when he took the stage, you'd be amazed at how good he looked that night, too. I sure hope he can beat it again, though I have my doubts unfortunately.

Boo-Yah to you Stuart.

I remember reading that Berman and (I forget who the other one was) basically had to carry him up the steps to give the speech. But as soon as he took his throne he was completely cured for those 10 minutes. No shaking. Stood and moved around and gestured and articulated and didn't miss a best. Truly spectacular speech. Stu's is prob second to jimmy V's. Can't think who else would come above stus from last night.

salrx95 07-17-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15494851)
I remember reading that Berman and (I forget who the other one was) basically had to carry him up the steps to give the speech. But as soon as he took his throne he was completely cured for those 10 minutes. No shaking. Stood and moved around and gestured and articulated and didn't miss a best. Truly spectacular speech. Stu's is prob second to jimmy V's. Can't think who else would come above stus from last night.

Coach K. He had taken the flight up with Jimmy V and his wife. Not sure if it was Berman, though. Other guy might have been Vitale.

daveshookme 07-17-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15494926)
Coach K. He had taken the flight up with Jimmy V and his wife. Not sure if it was Berman, though. Other guy might have been Vitale.

Yeah coach k, maybe dicky v. Thought it was Berman but maybe not. Either way, amazing story.

Roose13 07-17-2014 07:27 PM

The Cup visited Sea Isle today and a couple thousand fans showed up to see it and John Stevens: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/s...a4bcf887a.html

TMoore4075 07-18-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15494091)
Gonna try and catch this tonight. Heard it was really good. Makes grown men cry.

I'd pick Yzerman over Howe, simply for when I've been alive bias. But I wonder, without seeing the article/vote, how close Lidstrom came to the top?

While Nick is one of the best, if not the best defenseman of all time, and was a huge part of all the Cups, he'll always live in the shadow of Yzerman here in Detroit. Not that no one appreciates him but Stevie was the captain for 20 years and he was along for the entire ride from shittiness to greatness. There is a fondness in everyone's heart for him here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15494727)

Boo-Yah to you Stuart.

Yeah I have heard about what he went through on the trip to the awards. I watch that speech every year.

salrx95 07-18-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15494954)
Yeah coach k, maybe dicky v. Thought it was Berman but maybe not. Either way, amazing story.

Yes it is. I just have seen the Jimmy V speech so many times and during the speech, they pan to Berman sitting in the crowd and he is clapping, fighting back tears, wearing his glasses.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-18-2014 10:43 AM

CCM Tacks are back!!

Rebecca De Mornay 07-21-2014 06:01 AM

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ogressing.html

looks like this will be done this week

TMoore4075 07-21-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15502108)
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ogressing.html

looks like this will be done this week

Also found it funny how this was a slap in the face a few weeks ago....

Pro athletes can be fucking tween girls sometimes can't they?

fonzz41 07-21-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15496515)
CCM Tacks are back!!

I still use the same 652's that I had back in high school. Only modification is new blades that I had put on earlier this year. Love them, they're like slippers now. :thumbsup

TMoore4075 07-21-2014 07:40 AM

Matty walks around the house in fluffy bunny slippers is how I read that.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-21-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15502224)
Also found it funny how this was a slap in the face a few weeks ago....

Pro athletes can be fucking tween girls sometimes can't they?

i wonder if it's the agents more than the athletes sometimes, agree though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15502336)
I still use the same 652's that I had back in high school. Only modification is new blades that I had put on earlier this year. Love them, they're like slippers now. :thumbsup

that's awesome, i wish i still had my old ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15502371)

:lol

kev87lads 07-21-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

This. :eiffeltower

fonzz41 07-21-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Guilty. Gotta take care of the little piggies.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15502391)

Good point. I wonder how often - especially with these younger, "greener" athletes - the agent is like, "just let me handle this. I got it."

TMoore4075 07-21-2014 08:19 AM

The slap in the face was just funny. Toews and Kane had won Cups and had taken what were bridge deals at the time. But for you it's a slap in the face? ok. I know it's a lot of chest puffing but just funny.

TMoore4075 07-21-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15502391)

Prolly a little bit of both. Agent pumps their ego and then the player is like..."yeah I deserve a big contract now!" I hope these bridge deals become more of a regular thing for the kids.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-21-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15502476)
The slap in the face was just funny. Toews and Kane had won Cups and had taken what were bridge deals at the time. But for you it's a slap in the face? ok. I know it's a lot of chest puffing but just funny.

like i said before, trying to rattle the fanbase (or basically just portzline) was the only chance johansen had of getting anything more than a bridge deal. jarmo and JD are clearly not going to mess around with this stuff though, which is good considering how many other young players they have in the pipeline. They've now forced Bob to take a bridge deal (when he was threatening the KHL) and with Johansen, they're creating precedent for when Murray, Jenner and company come around

TMoore4075 07-21-2014 08:25 AM

Guys see the renderings of the new Wings arena district they are planning? Not sure if the roof is just for show in the pictures but looks cool.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/mediakit.html

hailtopitt 07-21-2014 09:08 AM

Ovie's bride-to-be calls off wedding?

mediocre tennis player knows she can do better

kev87lads 07-21-2014 10:14 AM

^ And no word from Ovechkin on that. Still refuses to play defense.

Bron Yr Aur 07-21-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15502476)

This is incorrect. Nobody criticized the deals Toews & Kane signed, which were signed PRIOR to winning the Cup. Those deals were not bridge deals, not even close. They were fairly expensive deals at the time that expired as UFA at the peak of the primes. That's exactly what Johanssen is looking for. Maybe not quite the caliber of player as Toews & Kane but it's pretty comparable to the early careers of Toews, Kopitar, etc....

fonzz41 07-21-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15502569)
Ovie's bride-to-be calls off wedding?

mediocre tennis player knows she can do better

I sense Trotz in this. Taking the ol' boot camp approach of tearing Ovie down as much as he can before building him back up.

Now the question is how Trotz got her to call it off... Talking it through. or gun to her head?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15502750)

:lol Typical, quality Kev. :eiffeltower

hailtopitt 07-21-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15502750)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15502807)
I sense Trotz in this. Taking the ol' boot camp approach of tearing Ovie down as much as he can before building him back up.

Now the question is how Trotz got her to call it off... Talking it through. or gun to her head?

:lol Typical, quality Kev. :eiffeltower

he's still grasping english

all this time he's been cherry picking when he should've been cherry poppin'

fonzz41 07-21-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15502875)
he's still grasping english

all this time he's been cherry picking when he should've been cherry poppin'

The Kev and hailtopitt show today. Full of win. :lol