Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 03-19-2014 06:57 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Apparently a Maple Leafs fan jumped onto the ice at the ACC tonight

Should be a fun highlight

lockman21 03-19-2014 07:21 PM

88 out about 2 weeks.

FUCK.

bonzo48280 03-19-2014 07:37 PM

Just be healthy for the playoffs. That's all that's important. Could be WAY worse

lockman21 03-19-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15205670)
Just be healthy for the playoffs. That's all that's important. Could be WAY worse

Healthy 3-4 games before the playoffs would be key to get his legs back.

bradshaw06 03-19-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15202936)
Out of curiosity who would you all pick for the following?

Favorite player on your team? Least favorite player? Up and coming player you like a lot?

Right now? Probably Maatta. Kid is playing some great hockey.

Least favorite: a three way tie between Glass, Adams and Orpik. All 3 are relied on way too much by Bylsma, and are probably the worst 3 guys on the team.

I suppose Maatta counts as an up and coming player, but someone else to mention is Megna. If the kid ever gets a chance to play (db would rather play Adams and Glass), he'll be good.

dmbetc 03-19-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15205580)

Apparently it was a crazy night, there was this:

http://instagram.com/p/lvyMnxrkj_/

Then there was this hard, scary hit which put Paul Ranger on a stretcher:

http://deadspin.com/paul-ranger-stre...ium=socialflow

JRS1386 03-19-2014 08:03 PM

Brutal hit with what appears to be no intent behind it. Hope he doesn't get suspended for it

dmbetc 03-19-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15202936)
Out of curiosity who would you all pick for the following?

Favorite player on your team? Least favorite player? Up and coming player you like a lot?

Favorite: my instinct is to say Gaborik now but time will tell if he's a sure fit, seems to be working out well so far though. Aside from him I would say Kopitar. Great with the puck, great vision for passes and can score too. I think he gets overlooked a lot within the NHL for his level of play. Honorable mention: Dustin Brown

Least favorite: I suppose Jake Muzzin.

Up and coming: Tyler Toffoli has really molded well with the team and feel in a next year or two he will be on top of the roster for scoring.

bonzo48280 03-19-2014 08:16 PM

Kane out about 3 weeks

Alazais 03-19-2014 09:11 PM

Only saw the highlights. didn't look intentional. As A Leaf fan it sucks to see Ranger hurt. If it had to be anyone I'd rather it be him. He has not been good. Not even a little bit.

Leafs are rubbish again. It's crunch time and they're not able to tighten up their game. Same old Leafs...

bonzo48280 03-19-2014 09:53 PM

I stand by what I said earlier this season in that Bickell is going to be great in the playoffs. He looked great tonight.

HallowBillies7 03-19-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15205580)

I saw a video of it and the guys Leafs jersey in the back said

STANLEY
?

Lol, I'm serious by the way.

barbogast 03-20-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15205979)
I saw a video of it and the guys Leafs jersey in the back said

STANLEY
?

Lol, I'm serious by the way.

:lol I noticed the ? but didn't see it said Stanley. That's great

TMoore4075 03-20-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15205755)
Kane out about 3 weeks

Only three weeks? Pussy. Real hockey players are gone longer. lol

TMoore4075 03-20-2014 05:29 AM

First, thanks Leafs. Keep losing. Second, saw the Ranger hit. The 5 and the misconduct should be it but that hit doesn't need to happen. This one was a quicker play than others, Gleason on Brendan Smith the other night for example, but still you don't need to drive the guy like that.

Roose13 03-20-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15205711)
Apparently it was a crazy night, there was this:

http://instagram.com/p/lvyMnxrkj_/

I have covered a total of three games at Citizens Bank Park in Philly (two Phillies and the AHL Outdoor Classic) and in all three games I saw an idiot run out onto the field. I think I'm banned from covering games there now :lol:lol

Rebecca De Mornay 03-20-2014 05:56 AM

Wow toronto is tanking.

Jackets have 3 games in hand and are only 4 points behind them.
Although the jackets are probably not winning another game all season so it doesn't really matter :(

hailtopitt 03-20-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15205680)
Right now? Probably Maatta. Kid is playing some great hockey.

Least favorite: a three way tie between Glass, Adams and Orpik. All 3 are relied on way too much by Bylsma, and are probably the worst 3 guys on the team.

I suppose Maatta counts as an up and coming player, but someone else to mention is Megna. If the kid ever gets a chance to play (db would rather play Adams and Glass), he'll be good.

you take glass and adams out of the lineup, you no longer have to top PK unit

you also lose the little, tiny bit of grit you have on the team

i'd rather see a guy like sutter lose his sweater for a game or 2

TMoore4075 03-20-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15206527)
Wow toronto is tanking.

Jackets have 3 games in hand and are only 4 points behind them.
Although the jackets are probably not winning another game all season so it doesn't really matter :(

Gotta say I'm rooting against ya tonight. Wings probably aren't catching the Habs so gotta root against the teams right in front of them.

Rebecca De Mornay 03-20-2014 06:10 AM

im sure you'll be pleased Tim.

im rooting for the Avs the rest of the way.

wampa3 03-20-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15206540)
you take glass and adams out of the lineup, you no longer have to top PK unit

you also lose the little, tiny bit of grit you have on the team

i'd rather see a guy like sutter lose his sweater for a game or 2

You'd rather take out one of the only legitmate forwards in the bottom six (and only one with double digit goals) one of the out of the lineup? Would you rather put Vitale in his place as 4th line center?

hailtopitt 03-20-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15206566)
You'd rather take out one of the only legitmate forwards in the bottom six (and only one with double digit goals) one of the out of the lineup? Would you rather put Vitale in his place as 4th line center?

yea, maybe a healthy scratch would benefit someone like sutter, get him going a little

but like i said, you take glass and adams out of the lineup, your PK goes from great to mediocre and you have literally no grit or physicality

fonzz41 03-20-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15205711)

Hope Ranger is ok. That guy has had a tough few years. Definitely no malicious intent on the hit. Sure, when you slow it down it looks differently, but when you're in the middle of the game moving as quickly as he does, then Ranger tries to do that fake-out move, there wasn't a whole lot Killorn could do short of pulling up and not throwing the hit at all, or not make the hit at all. It looks like he was already preparing to make the hit when Ranger tried that move, and at that speed it's awful hard to pull up once you're committed. But, like Biron said on TSN, does Killorn need to throw a hit like that with four seconds left in the period? It's not like he would get the puck and score a goal from it.

And no, I'm NOT saying Ranger is at fault for this. Just one of those very scary and very unfortunate incidents. The type and length of the penalty was perfectly justified, but not sure supplemental discipline will be levied.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15206558)
im rooting for the Avs the rest of the way.

:hug

swordo84 03-20-2014 07:49 AM

Ranger is OK. Back at the ACC this morning.

fonzz41 03-20-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15206812)
Ranger is OK. Back at the ACC this morning.

Glad to hear it. :thumbsup

TMoore4075 03-20-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15206802)
Hope Ranger is ok. That guy has had a tough few years. Definitely no malicious intent on the hit. Sure, when you slow it down it looks differently, but when you're in the middle of the game moving as quickly as he does, then Ranger tries to do that fake-out move, there wasn't a whole lot Killorn could do short of pulling up and not throwing the hit at all, or not make the hit at all. It looks like he was already preparing to make the hit when Ranger tried that move, and at that speed it's awful hard to pull up once you're committed. But, like Biron said on TSN, does Killorn need to throw a hit like that with four seconds left in the period? It's not like he would get the puck and score a goal from it.

And no, I'm NOT saying Ranger is at fault for this. Just one of those very scary and very unfortunate incidents. The type and length of the penalty was perfectly justified, but not sure supplemental discipline will be levied.

:hug

Yeah Ranger put himself in a bad spot, but Kilborn didn't need to do it either at that point of the game.

Avs don't know how to win the last few games Matty.

fonzz41 03-20-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15206824)
Avs don't know how to win the last few games Matty.

Tough last couple games out east, yes. The losses of Stastny, Parenteau, and Mitchell have hurt (but who am I to say anything about that when I'm talking to a Wings fan right now) and have caused them to shake things up. They played Barrie at forward because of the injuries, and he actually did pretty well.

I think what this really exposed - and I'm perfectly comfortable admitting this - was the Avs' reliance on Varlamov. They've given him a rest this trip, starting Jiggy against MTL and Berra (the 3rd stringer they acquired at the deadline and are basically prepping for the backup role) last night. He did not look sharp on the few shots he faced, which was less than 30... a good night for the Avs defense. I don't blame him too much, he hasn't had a start since back when he was with the Flames, who knows when. Our forward group was just average.... even missing a few key guys, they still have the firepower to beat a team like the Jets. I'm sure Patrick will have some things to say regarding that.

But still... 11 goals in the past 2 games. Ouch.

TMoore4075 03-20-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15206852)
Tough last couple games out east, yes. The losses of Stastny, Parenteau, and Mitchell have hurt (but who am I to say anything about that when I'm talking to a Wings fan right now) and have caused them to shake things up. They played Barrie at forward because of the injuries, and he actually did pretty well.

I think what this really exposed - and I'm perfectly comfortable admitting this - was the Avs' reliance on Varlamov. They've given him a rest this trip, starting Jiggy against MTL and Berra (the 3rd stringer they acquired at the deadline and are basically prepping for the backup role) last night. He did not look sharp on the few shots he faced, which was less than 30... a good night for the Avs defense. I don't blame him too much, he hasn't had a start since back when he was with the Flames, who knows when. Our forward group was just average.... even missing a few key guys, they still have the firepower to beat a team like the Jets.

But still... 11 goals in the past 2 games. Ouch.

Yeah. Smart to rest Varly though. You're in the playoffs, and you'll need him, so get him a little rest now.

hailtopitt 03-20-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15206865)
Yeah. Smart to rest Varly though. You're in the playoffs, and you'll need him, so get him a little rest now.

this is exactly what i don't get about the pens

they trot fleury out there every night, back-to-backs, long road trips etc...doesn't matter, he pushes 65-70 games played every year then fizzles in the spring

fonzz41 03-20-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15206865)

Yeah, I'm glad they're forward thinking like that. I think that's where Roy's experience is so valuable. He knows what it's like to be a starter on a team gearing up for the playoffs, and the physical preparedness going into it.

Ballsy move for him to start a 3rd stringer, but ballsy moves are the MO for a guy known for pulling his goalie with 4 minutes left when his team is down :lol. Guessing he figures that Jiggy has struggled, and this kid is the projected future backup anyways, so get him some experience now.