Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Rebecca De Mornay 11-11-2013 07:31 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Dubinsky told the paper here over the weekend that the atmosphere in Nationwide arena is better than MSG :lol:lol

I love Dubinsky and the way he plays and that he actually is proud to be a blue jacket but come on man.

fonzz41 11-11-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907659)
Seriously. I have never, ever liked Mike Green. If I were a GM, I would have no spot on my roster for them. No matter what the cost. Give me guys like Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Duncan Keith, etc. all day if we're talking offensive defenseman. Hell, I'd rather have a blue line full of guys like Hjalmarsson that NEVER put up points, but are incredible on the defensive side of the puck than guys like Subban or Green.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if we were to do the ever-popular "NHL redraft", I wouldn't take Ovechkin anywhere in the first 30-40 picks. If I were a GM, and the NHL completely redrafted, and Ovie was sitting there with guys like Dustin Brown, Patrick Sharp, Jamie Benn, etc...no way am I taking Ovechkin.

:thumbsup Agree as always. When my brother and I did our mock draft at our boring family function the other day, Ovechkin went un-drafted, and I don't think either one of us ever seriously considered it.

Another lollercaps moment from last night: They got a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for vehemently arguing an offsides call. :lol

Kinda what you would expect from an Ovechkin-led team.

TMoore4075 11-11-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907659)
Seriously. I have never, ever liked Mike Green. If I were a GM, I would have no spot on my roster for them. No matter what the cost. Give me guys like Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Duncan Keith, etc. all day if we're talking offensive defenseman. Hell, I'd rather have a blue line full of guys like Hjalmarsson that NEVER put up points, but are incredible on the defensive side of the puck than guys like Subban or Green.

I often I hear Wings fans bitch about the Robert Lang trade. Gave the Caps Fleischmann, a 1st and a 4th I think. The 1st turned into Mike Green. Everyone saw him scoring a lot for a while and said "Well Lang never did anything here. We could have had Fleischmann and Green." Fleischmann didn't even make the Caps full time until like 07-08. Three years after he was traded. Think he would have ever made the Wings? And Green was putting up good numbers but as has been pointed out, not a great defender, and who knows if the Wings would have even drafted him. Lang on the other hand. Yeah he was really bad. 9 points in 12 playoff games in 04. 6 points in 6 playoff games in 2006, not to mention 62 points during the season. And while 06-07 was a bad year stats wise, his two playoff goals were game-tying goals one in game 6 against the Flames that the Wings won in OT and the other in the final minute of game 4 against the Sharks. A game the Wings won in OT. Had he not scored, Wings would have been down 3-1 instead of going home 2-2. I'm fine with how things turned out. Always amazes me how negative some fans can turn things.

cry_minarets458 11-11-2013 07:54 AM

not having cable has really interfered with my NHL'ing.

fonzz41 11-11-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14907696)
I often I hear Wings fans bitch about the Robert Lang trade. Gave the Caps Fleischmann, a 1st and a 4th I think. The 1st turned into Mike Green. Everyone saw him scoring a lot for a while and said "Well Lang never did anything here. We could have had Fleischmann and Green." Fleischmann didn't even make the Caps full time until like 07-08. Three years after he was traded. Think he would have ever made the Wings? And Green was putting up good numbers but as has been pointed out, not a great defender, and who knows if the Wings would have even drafted him. Lang on the other hand. Yeah he was really bad. 9 points in 12 playoff games in 04. 6 points in 6 playoff games in 2006, not to mention 62 points during the season. And while 06-07 was a bad year stats wise, his two playoff goals were game-tying goals one in game 6 against the Flames that the Wings won in OT and the other in the final minute of game 4 against the Sharks. A game the Wings won in OT. Had he not scored, Wings would have been down 3-1 instead of going home 2-2. I'm fine with how things turned out. Always amazes me how negative some fans can turn things.

Yeah, be grateful you don't have Mike Green on your team. Although, who knows what playing with a guy like Lidstrom could have done for him. Could've been the next Ray Bourque.

... :lol sometimes I make myself laugh.

swordo84 11-11-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907662)

Well played sir, well played. Looking forward to this kook suiting up in the Blue and Orange.

Can't be any worse than what we've had up until this point.

TMoore4075 11-11-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14907740)
Yeah, be grateful you don't have Mike Green on your team. Although, who knows what playing with a guy like Lidstrom could have done for him. Could've been the next Ray Bourque.

... :lol sometimes I make myself laugh.

LOL. While he wouldn't be that, it's possible he could have been different with Lidstrom, Cheilos and Rafalski there and Babcock as the coach. But I'm fine with what the Wings have done from 04 till today without him. Wings won 9 playoff series from 07-09. Caps have won (checking wiki) 13 total...all time.

lockman21 11-11-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907666)
Dubinsky told the paper here over the weekend that the atmosphere in Nationwide arena is better than MSG :lol:lol

I love Dubinsky and the way he plays and that he actually is proud to be a blue jacket but come on man.

:lol Well, in his defense, it's pretty well documented that NHLers universally hate MSG. The place is a dump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14907676)
:thumbsup Agree as always. When my brother and I did our mock draft at our boring family function the other day, Ovechkin went un-drafted, and I don't think either one of us ever seriously considered it.

Another lollercaps moment from last night: They got a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for vehemently arguing an offsides call. :lol

Kinda what you would expect from an Ovechkin-led team.

:lol Totally worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14907696)

Yup. I mean, Green has had his offensive moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHA60SNNfws

But I agree with you completely. I don't want him on my team. Also, you have no idea what kind of ripple effect having Green on the squad would have caused, i.e. not having guys like Quincey or Ericsson? Who knows.

Rebecca De Mornay 11-11-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907768)
:lol Well, in his defense, it's pretty well documented that NHLers universally hate MSG. The place is a dump.

Yeah but he was talking about atmosphere. The best crowd they've had all season other than opening night (and the only other sell-out) was against the pens and the arena was 80% pittsburgh fans.

One thing I will say was that during their run down the stretch last year the place was crazy every night, but it still couldn't be anything like MSG.

Bron Yr Aur 11-11-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907357)
Avalanche win again.

BUT THE PUCK POSSESSION NUMBERS AREN'T GOOD CHRIS!!! I DON'T BELIEVE THIS 14-2-0 IS GOOD BECAUSE OF THOSE PUCK POSSESSION NUMBERS!

14-2 is great! Just think there is a good chance that they come crashing back to Earth at some point.

Of course there are no guarantees that they will. Only the probability that they will return to mediocrity.

lockman21 11-11-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907777)
Yeah but he was talking about atmosphere. The best crowd they've had all season other than opening night (and the only other sell-out) was against the pens and the arena was 80% pittsburgh fans.

One thing I will say was that during their run down the stretch last year the place was crazy every night, but it still couldn't be anything like MSG.

Well, let's hope things turn around for them. I still like how they've built their squad. I don't think it'll be like this all season. I can see them making a run through December - January.

hailtopitt 11-11-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907777)

yea this even surprised me, MSG is awesome when rangers are good, embarassing when they are bad

but i guess that could be said for many arenas

Rebecca De Mornay 11-11-2013 09:08 AM

I keep forgetting that they're just a few weeks away from getting Horton back. That should give them a little extra offensive pop and really fill out the top 6 nicely.

TMoore4075 11-11-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907844)
I keep forgetting that they're just a few weeks away from getting Horton back. That should give them a little extra offensive pop and really fill out the top 6 nicely.

I keep forgetting they have Horton. lol

TMoore4075 11-11-2013 09:12 AM

The East has been...not so good so far. Wings have struggled and still sit 3rd in the Atlantic. Pens have been 5-5 and still sit 3 points up in the Metro.

lockman21 11-11-2013 09:12 AM

Also, can we take a second to talk about how the Sharks are basically an EXACT replica of last year's Sharks? Started so hot and now they've lost 5 in a row.

lockman21 11-11-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14907846)
I keep forgetting they have Horton. lol

:lol Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14907849)
The East has been...not so good so far. Wings have struggled and still sit 3rd in the Atlantic. Pens have been 5-5 and still sit 3 points up in the Metro.

It's just not as good of a conference, and hasn't been for a couple years.

hailtopitt 11-11-2013 09:17 AM

i saw giroux finally scored over the weekend

best player in the world!

Bron Yr Aur 11-11-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907850)
Also, can we take a second to talk about how the Sharks are basically an EXACT replica of last year's Sharks? Started so hot and now they've lost 5 in a row.

They are 9-2-1 in games that have not gone to the shootout. That's pretty good.

HallowBillies7 11-11-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907844)

Don't be surprised if he doesn't show up at all

Rebecca De Mornay 11-11-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14907859)
Don't be surprised if he doesn't show up at all

I know, I'll have hope that he will until he doesn't though. In any event he can't make them any worse.

dduncan6er 11-11-2013 09:32 AM

He'll show up if they make the playoffs but the guy is infamous for sleep walking through the regular season.

Rebecca De Mornay 11-11-2013 09:41 AM

Do you think that had anything to do with him not being "the guy" in Boston though? He's going to play a bigger role here, do you think he was able to take some games off because of how deep that Bruins team was?

dduncan6er 11-11-2013 10:11 AM

If Columbus is expecting him to be "the guy" they're probably going to be disappointed. I don't want to make it seem like I disliked him as a player he just doesn't really have that in his make up as a player in my opinion.

aeroshady 11-11-2013 10:13 AM

MSG is doing a lot to fix the place up. Nothing better than a rocking MSG!

aeroshady 11-11-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14907842)
yea this even surprised me, MSG is awesome when rangers are good, embarassing when they are bad

but i guess that could be said for many arenas

What do you mean by embarrassing? In the late 90's early 2000's I couldn't get a seat there other then my season tickets and the rangers had not made the playoffs in eight seasons.

If I recall Pittsburgh was pretty empty around those times though.

HallowBillies7 11-11-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14907892)
Do you think that had anything to do with him not being "the guy" in Boston though? He's going to play a bigger role here, do you think he was able to take some games off because of how deep that Bruins team was?

It's like when he's on he's on and he can be that guy. But when he's just floating out there he will drive you crazy watching. Not sure if there's any player I've had a more love/hate feeling in the last few years beside him, maybe Seguin.

efraser77 11-11-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14907850)

Yes, let's take a second to talk about it. But instead of derisive generalizations, as you seem to enjoy doing when it comes to the Sharks, let's take a look at the facts of the situation.

They have played two stinkers all year, a loss to a fast-improving Vancouver team last week, and the Buffalo game - a game in which they actually scored in OT.

Other than that, their only other regulation loss was on the road in Boston on a literally last-second goal. Their current 5-game losing streak has included three shootout losses. And all of it has come without the services of Brent Burns after he took a goalie stick in the mouth. Despite until recently being a defenseman, he has become one of our most dynamic offensive players, playing at a point-per-game clip until the injury.

Bron Yr Aur 11-11-2013 10:38 AM

Not to mention they were hosed by the refs in one of those 5 games...

Sharks are legit. But, pretty much every team in the West is decent except Calgary & Edmonton.

hailtopitt 11-11-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 14907954)
What do you mean by embarrassing? In the late 90's early 2000's I couldn't get a seat there other then my season tickets and the rangers had not made the playoffs in eight seasons.

If I recall Pittsburgh was pretty empty around those times though.

yea it was very empty, which is why i said many arenas are like that

and i'm not talking about the late 90's, i'm talking about now