Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

mthawk07 05-06-2021 06:26 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949159)
Someone bear hugging you from behind... oh the humanity!

Time to give them brain damage!

Listen, if I'm in the middle of a fight, and someone straight up jumps on my back, I'm going to be under the impression that they want to go. I already said it was a bitch move by Wilson to yank him down the way he did, and the sucker punch before that was also a bitch move, but it was a fight. Don't jump on a guy's back in the middle of a fight.

It's like the people who got mad at Ovechkin for pummeling that Canes rookie in the playoffs a couple years back. Don't get in a fight with Alex MF Ovechkin if you don't want your jaw broken.

Antiramie 05-06-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17949162)
Listen, if I'm in the middle of a fight, and someone straight up jumps on my back, I'm going to be under the impression that they want to go. I already said it was a bitch move by Wilson to yank him down the way he did, and the sucker punch before that was also a bitch move, but it was a fight. Don't jump on a guy's back in the middle of a fight.

It's like the people who got mad at Ovechkin for pummeling that Canes rookie in the playoffs a couple years back. Don't get in a fight with Alex MF Ovechkin if you don't want your jaw broken.

He wasn’t getting 3rd manned while in a fight though. He was getting pulled/restrained from sucker punching someone more. So if your argument is “don’t try to help your teammate from getting cheap shotted by touching a maniac that’s going to lash out on you” that’s not really helping your or Wilson’s cause...

mthawk07 05-06-2021 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949165)
He wasn’t getting 3rd manned while in a fight though. He was getting pulled/restrained from sucker punching someone more. So if your argument is “don’t try to help your teammate from getting cheap shorted by touching a maniac that’s going to lash out on you” that’s not really helping your or Wilson’s cause...

I wouldn't have jumped on his back, but I'm also not a hockey player. :lol

Antiramie 05-06-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17949167)

I’ve said this 10 times already. The days of having your way with every guy that grabs you or hugs you are over. What Wilson did is completely unique to himself and doesn’t belong in the game anymore.

donvito72 05-06-2021 06:38 AM

The NHL has been trying to weed this shit out - to the point where there's only 2/3 giants left in the game, and one of them is fucking bonkers on top of being a giant. Now you have teams that have been naturally purging themselves of knuckledraggers, and nobody can do anything about this braindead gorilla. And thus, Godzilla continues to have his way with Tokyo.

jrkarger 05-06-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17949167)

Well if you want to play the blame game (or victim blaming) Panerin would have had no reason to jump on Wilson’s back had Wilson not punched Buch in the back of the head.

Funny, for those who play the “this happens in hockey all the time” card, scrums in front of the net happen numerous times per night per game. But no one gets punched in the back of the head when face down on the ice.

Wilson must have the worse luck on the planet to keep finding himself in these situations. :rolleyes

Antiramie 05-06-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvito72 (Post 17949172)
The NHL has been trying to weed this shit out - to the point where there's only 2/3 giants left in the game, and one of them is fucking bonkers on top of being a giant. Now you have teams that have been naturally purging themselves of knuckledraggers, and nobody can do anything about this braindead gorilla. And thus, Godzilla continues to have his way with Tokyo.

The rule changes to increase scoring and teams going smaller and faster has naturally led to far less goons in the league. In this day and age, if you can’t skate well and get points on the 4th line, you’re not going to make a roster. But the league itself has actually made it easier for the remaining goons to get away with shit after they came up with the instigator rule and refuse to dole out huge punishments for head hits and repeat offenders...unless you target a superstar like Crosby. The other problem is the players association won’t agree to harsh punishments, especially when you have guys like Wilson who represent their teams in the union.

donvito72 05-06-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949212)
The rule changes to increase scoring and teams going smaller and faster has naturally led to far less goons in the league. In this day and age, if you can’t skate well and get points on the 4th line, you’re not going to make a roster. But the league itself has actually made it easier for the remaining goons to get away with shit after they came up with the instigator rule and refuse to dole out huge punishments for head hits and repeat offenders...unless you target a superstar like Crosby. The other problem is the players association won’t agree to harsh punishments, especially when you have guys like Wilson who represent their teams in the union.

I think the Cap far more drove this than rule changes - teams just don't have cap space to carry a useless player that skates 5 minutes a night and fights the other team's heavyweight in a show fight.

And I agree they've made it easier for remaining goons, through two manners - the lack of punishing them, and the lack of goons on other teams that are around to do anything about it. Which is why I suggest the nuclear option being...your superstar isn't off limits - Backstrom should have taken a shot last night.

Antiramie 05-06-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvito72 (Post 17949227)
I think the Cap far more drove this than rule changes - teams just don't have cap space to carry a useless player that skates 5 minutes a night and fights the other team's heavyweight in a show fight.

And I agree they've made it easier for remaining goons, through two manners - the lack of punishing them, and the lack of goons on other teams that are around to do anything about it. Which is why I suggest the nuclear option being...your superstar isn't off limits - Backstrom should have taken a shot last night.

A superstar shouldn't get his ass kicked because his goon teammate can't control himself. I'd rather just see the goon get jumped.

swordo84 05-06-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17948527)
It's going to be remarkably frustrating when the Rangers get fined 50x what Tom Wilson did for releasing that statement.

Fucking called it.

Antiramie 05-06-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17949350)
Fucking called it.

Fuckin do it again, Dolan!

swordo84 05-06-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949358)
Fuckin do it again, Dolan!

Hell ya. Double down and call our Bettman for this egregious fine!

drakan 05-06-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949159)
Someone bear hugging you from behind... oh the humanity!

It literally happens dozens of times a game in scrums.:lol

What doesn't happen dozens of times? Punching someone in the back of the head or throwing someone who is a lot smaller than you and not a goon to the ice when they don't have a helmet on.

swordo84 05-06-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17949365)
It literally happens dozens of times a game in scrums.:lol

What doesn't happen dozens of times? Punching someone in the back of the head or throwing someone who is a lot smaller than you and not a goon to the ice when they don't have a helmet on.

I'd like to point to Chara as a generally shining example of this. He could dummy literally anyone else in the league, but rather he chooses to pull you out, and just pin you against the boards. Why? Two reasons, he's not a raving lunatic like Wilson is, and has much more than zero respect for his fellow competitors.

Balor3012 05-06-2021 10:55 AM

"It is terribly unfair to question George Parros' professionalism and dedication to his role and the Department of Public Safety"

No its not? Its called accountability?

Antiramie 05-06-2021 11:17 AM

The NHLPA isn't without blame. Wilson is the Caps' team rep. How can you expect reasonable labor agreements regarding punishment to take place, which the DoPS has to abide by, when players like Wilson are at the negotiating table? Not taking away from Parros' ineptitude, but the entire situation is a fucking farce.

What are players supposed to do when he decides to rampage on someone? If you don't step in, he's gonna likely beat the shit out of your teammate because he's huge and one of the best fighters in the league. If you step in to help and Wilson takes offense, you're possibly going to get hurt AND the league still won't punish Wilson. It's a lose/lose. You either let Wilson roam free or you find someone to roster that's comparable to his skill set, which is nearly impossible.

If teams truly want the shitbag out of hockey, they have to go after the guy until the league says enough is enough. Or they refuse to step on the ice. Or fans stop watching. Until one of those happens (or he paralyzes someone), nothing will change.

donvito72 05-06-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balor3012 (Post 17949396)
"It is terribly unfair to question George Parros' professionalism and dedication to his role and the Department of Public Safety"

It's certainly not right to question his professionalism publicly - what I'm really saying is...I see why they got fined, and they earned it. And Wilson deserved a long suspension - both of those things can be true.

donvito72 05-06-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiramie (Post 17949421)
The NHLPA isn't without blame. Wilson is the Caps' team rep. How can you expect reasonable labor agreements regarding punishment to take place, which the DoPS has to abide by, when players like Wilson are at the negotiating table? Not taking away from Parros' ineptitude, but the entire situation is a fucking farce.

What are players supposed to do when he decides to rampage on someone? If you don't step in, he's gonna likely beat the shit out of your teammate because he's huge and one of the best fighters in the league. If you step in to help and Wilson takes offense, you're possibly going to get hurt AND the league still won't punish Wilson. It's a lose/lose. You either let Wilson roam free or you find someone to roster that's comparable to his skill set, which is nearly impossible.

If teams truly want the shitbag out of hockey, they have to go after the guy until the league says enough is enough. Or they refuse to step on the ice. Or fans stop watching. Until one of those happens (or he paralyzes someone), nothing will change.

The NHLPA has a huge conflict of interest - this guy brains someone and gets suspended, and they're going to bat to get the suspension reduced. How the fuck do they justify that when, say, Oskar Sundqvist is laid up with a major concussion?

I really don't want Tom Wilson out of hockey - I want him to not act like a fucking monkey and stop trying to hurt people. That being said, I think I'm at the point now where I don't know if that's actually possible.

mthawk07 05-06-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Fucking called it.

Exactly 50x as much. :lol

TypicalBilly14 05-06-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Fucking called it.

Sword-fight, that's amazing.

Tel me, um, what do you think about investing in doge? :popcorn

bradshaw06 05-06-2021 12:26 PM

https://imgflip.com/i/58jb4i

bradshaw06 05-06-2021 12:28 PM

I really hope dolan doubles down and releases another statement

swordo84 05-06-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17949501)
Sword-fight, that's amazing.

Tel me, um, what do you think about investing in doge? :popcorn

I don't know a lick about cryptocurrencies, and I think NFT's are the biggest grift out there.

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk.

Lcsulla 05-06-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balor3012 (Post 17949396)

Parros was a goon during his time in the league, I don't think the Rangers did anything wrong. Wilson is the number 1 jerk the league and that fool running DOPS thinks that wasn't suspension worthy? WTF is an asshole like Parros doing as head of DOPS anyhow, was Bob Probert unavailable for interview?

Antiramie 05-06-2021 05:27 PM

I don’t know if there’s a general sentiment among all/most players, NHL employees, DoPS, etc of “let’s just police ourselves” or the NHLPA reps are mostly goons and ruining it for everyone, but the lack of outcry from players about this makes me think it’s the former. Even when guys like Sundqvist have gotten their brains scrambled by Wilson, their public comments are always sheepish shit like “I hope it wasn’t intentional” or “Hopefully he’ll learn his lesson”. Like are all of you just too scared/stupid to know you have the power to change this yourselves? If you’re not constantly running opponents (which 99% of the league isn’t doing) you don’t have to worry about ever having to deal with punishments for this shit. I don’t get it.

drakan 05-06-2021 06:48 PM

The thing is nobody would have cared at all if Wilson got suspended for a game or 2 literally.:lol

What a fuck up.

mthawk07 05-06-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17949653)
The thing is nobody would have cared at all if Wilson got suspended for a game or 2 literally.:lol

What a fuck up.

Nah the same thing would have happened the first time they played each other next season. Wouldn’t have happened in the postseason, though.

jrkarger 05-07-2021 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17949658)
Nah the same thing would have happened the first time they played each other next season. Wouldn’t have happened in the postseason, though.

Wilson doesn’t care about the playoffs. He was suspended for three playoff games in 2018. He can’t help himself.

mthawk07 05-07-2021 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17949730)
Wilson doesn’t care about the playoffs. He was suspended for three playoff games in 2018. He can’t help himself.

It was more of a joke about how the Rangers won’t be in the postseason.

jrkarger 05-07-2021 05:52 AM

Ahhhhhh. :thumbsup :lol