Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 10-06-2020 04:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

This broadcast has been brutal so far lmao

drakan 10-06-2020 06:11 PM

Fuck Pierre. Tonight is def in his wheelhouse though. If you played hockey and tell Pierre where and when he probably tell you who you played for and with.

aeroshady 10-07-2020 08:16 AM

Why is this thread so dead? The NHL draft is going on, it should be busy in here.

I have noticed that the Ants forums are becoming a bit bare. I love this thread, but I am starting to get worried I might have to find an alternative forum for hockey chat.

Roose13 10-07-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17800258)
Why is this thread so dead? The NHL draft is going on, it should be busy in here.

I have noticed that the Ants forums are becoming a bit bare. I love this thread, but I am starting to get worried I might have to find an alternative forum for hockey chat.

Flyers' draft pick is intriguing from what I heard. Not a great skater but a really deadly shot, especially off the one-timer. His name is Tyson Foerster (23rd pick).

Two interesting answers he gave during his news conference last night that I read in this morning's transcripts:

Quote:

Is your skating something you are going to work? Are you aware that it is seen as an unorthodox style?

Actually I’ve been working on that a lot the past six months. I feel like it’s improved a lot. I feel like I’m that much closer to the next level and playing with the Flyers.

If you had to characterize the type of player that you are, how would you do it?

I feel like I play a similar game to T.J. Oshie. I can be out there in any situation and score some goals too. I feel like he’s a good player comparison for myself.
I feel like an Oshie type of forward is something the Flyers could use in the future. He's 6-2 and just under 200. I feel like if he fills that out, he's gonna have some decent size on him.

fonzz41 10-07-2020 08:38 AM

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
TRADE:

To Ottawa #Senators:
G Matt Murray (RFA rights)

To Pittsburgh #Penguins:
F Jonathan Gruden
2020 2nd RD pick (CBJ) #52

fonzz41 10-07-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

I feel you, friend. As I've drifted away from Ants as a whole I've also drifted away from this thread in particular. Not anything bad happened per se... has a lot to do maybe with where we are all at in life, growing up? As I've interacted with friends here on other social media platforms I think it's also lessened that perceive "need" to be here.

In any case, this is where my favorite hockey people reside. I've made friends here that will endure forever, even if we never meet in person. Hopefully even if the NHL Thread on antsmarching.org withers away we can still find each other elsewhere and continue to worship at the feet of Fata, Daigle, and OMGCG.

drakan 10-07-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

People only watch NHL and not much college or junior so they don't really know who these people are.

Roose13 10-08-2020 04:24 PM

Justin Williams FINALLY retired.

Congrats on winning a Cup on every fucking team you played for but the Flyers.

Roose13 10-08-2020 04:30 PM

Scratch that, thought he won in Washington :lol

kev87lads 10-09-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17800294)
I feel you, friend. As I've drifted away from Ants as a whole I've also drifted away from this thread in particular. Not anything bad happened per se... has a lot to do maybe with where we are all at in life, growing up? As I've interacted with friends here on other social media platforms I think it's also lessened that perceive "need" to be here.

In any case, this is where my favorite hockey people reside. I've made friends here that will endure forever, even if we never meet in person. Hopefully even if the NHL Thread on antsmarching.org withers away we can still find each other elsewhere and continue to worship at the feet of Fata, Daigle, and OMGCG.

I think it’s a lot of this. I would guess most of us in here are in that 32-38 age range. And if not, still in that time of life where there are just more important things to read and comment on. I know for me, I still lurk here often to see what’s up and check in to see if there’s any conversation. I would guess I’m not the only one that lurks and checks in daily. And just doesn’t comment.

I think it’s a couple of other things. A lot of us have been in here a long time. Though the players (on our respective teams) change, I think our fandom and how we feel about our teams and other teams and rivals hasn’t changed. There’s not much more to add than what we have said over the last, what? 10-15 years!

Plus the decline of the band and its popularity and the lack of new music and not going to as many shows. Though I lurk in a a handful of threads, I just don’t feel the need to post.

I agree with Matty. I am FB or other social media friends with a few people in here. And they’ll be friends of mine long after the band and this site. I would hope.

(Side note: we never hear or see the three main owners and creators of this site anymore. Jake. Matt. Joe. Maybe I’m not looking in the right spots. But why don’t they just shut this thing down at this point. It’s kinda dead.)

aeroshady 10-09-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17802287)
I think it’s a lot of this. I would guess most of us in here are in that 32-38 age range. And if not, still in that time of life where there are just more important things to read and comment on. I know for me, I still lurk here often to see what’s up and check in to see if there’s any conversation. I would guess I’m not the only one that lurks and checks in daily. And just doesn’t comment.

I think it’s a couple of other things. A lot of us have been in here a long time. Though the players (on our respective teams) change, I think our fandom and how we feel about our teams and other teams and rivals hasn’t changed. There’s not much more to add than what we have said over the last, what? 10-15 years!

Plus the decline of the band and its popularity and the lack of new music and not going to as many shows. Though I lurk in a a handful of threads, I just don’t feel the need to post.

I agree with Matty. I am FB or other social media friends with a few people in here. And they’ll be friends of mine long after the band and this site. I would hope.

(Side note: we never hear or see the three main owners and creators of this site anymore. Jake. Matt. Joe. Maybe I’m not looking in the right spots. But why don’t they just shut this thing down at this point. It’s kinda dead.)

I always wondered if the creators had a plan to address the decline of users on this site. I guess the answer is no.

I knew that one day the DMB would decline and that would hurt the site, but I also have not posted on here about DMB in basically 10 years already. nDMB and the Tailgate are what kept me coming back. I thought they might have a chance of survival.

I am 35 myself, but that has not impacted this thread being my favorite place to talk hockey. I am on Blueshirt banter and reddit, but it is not the same. They are so negative haha. I understand that life gets busier in your 30's with family and children and such.

That said, I have noticed that a lot of former full-time contributors to this thread disappeared as soon as their team won or after their team won and began to decline. Put another way, I am calling some BS there. The Hawks, Caps and Pens all had fans that fit that bill on this site. I don't want to call out names, but just look at the history of this thread. I find it hard to believe that they just dropped off because of "life" the same time their teams stopped competing for cups regularly.

At the end of the day, we are obviously seeing the end of Ants (end of an era) and I think that is what makes me the saddest. I will really miss the prime of this thread and site. Not sure I will be able to fill the void elsewhere.

However, I do like the idea of maybe setting up another place to continue the hockey chat from this site and thread. Is there is any way we could get the contributors in this thread to join something a little more permanent? If that is already happening on social media elsewhere, I would love to be included in it!

Thanks NHL thread!

Roose13 10-09-2020 10:47 AM

A Facebook group wouldn't be a bad idea

aeroshady 10-09-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17802426)

I would come back to Facebook for that :lol

Also, Rangers actively trying to get worse this season lol. Jack Johnson really?

drakan 10-09-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17802502)

Also, Rangers actively trying to get worse this season lol. Jack Johnson really?

If he doesn't play at all that's a great signing:lol

drakan 10-09-2020 01:47 PM

Also Rangers don't have much on the left side.

TypicalBilly14 10-09-2020 08:05 PM

Torey Krug leaves Boston for St. Louis for $45 mil and 7 years. Wow.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-boston-bruins

mr.MikeD 10-11-2020 03:40 PM

Happy Thanksgiving weekend (if you live in the right place) hockey-ers in this dead thread.
I'm thankful for re-signing Mike Smith (what?!?), giving Kyle Turris and Tyson Barrie a go, and Jesse Poolparty deciding to give things another go after destroying everyone in Finland pro-hockey for a year.
Oh and eff covid and the flames!

fonzz41 10-12-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17802426)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17802502)
I would come back to Facebook for that :lol

Facebook is a good idea. I could take a crack at setting one up if everyone is down? I think I'm even friends there with a few guys who used to hang around here a lot. Maybe being on FB would bring some of them back into the fold.

And yeah, Johnson basically just takes Staal's spot :lol. Bottom pair guy, pretty reasonable contract. Not a super risky move.

fonzz41 10-12-2020 11:28 AM

Sakic does it again with the Saad for Zadorov trade. I was a defender of Zadorov, but the young guys coming up through the system definitely make him expendable. Meanwhile, Saad is going to fit in great with the Avs' top 6.

Greg Wyshynski
@wyshynski
Oct 10
Memo to NHL GMs: Do not answer Joe Sakic’s calls. Do not answer Joe Sakic’s texts. Do not accept Joe Sakic’s DMs, should he slide into them. If he comes to talk to you at the GM meetings, pretend you have use the bathroom and then don’t come back.

Andrei Marxov
@fuckmattcooke
Oct 10
Joe Sakic should be sponsored by Patagonia because all of his trades are fleeces

Roose13 10-12-2020 11:41 AM

Gonna be weird seeing some of these players wearing a new sweater next season. Hank in Washington, Holtby in Vancouver...

BotheLaneFan 10-12-2020 07:55 PM

Golden Knights with a big free agency pick up today AND announcing they’re keeping Fleury to be their 1b goalie.

fonzz41 10-13-2020 10:23 AM

The Pietrangelo acquisition - as well as moving forward with a $12 million goalie tandem - firmly cements that Vegas is in "win now" mode. Pietrangelo made out like a bandit. Seven years, full NMC, at 31 years old? Vegas basically saying, "to hell with the future, we'll figure it out when we get there". And as I've adjusted to being a fan in the salary cap era, I'm kinda ok with that sentiment. Kinda.

They gave up a really good young bottom 6 (Cousins), a good top 6 C in Stastny (recognizing that they are weakest at C), and a top pair d-man, all to acquire another really good d-man. I guess we'll see if that ends up being a net positive for them.

fonzz41 10-13-2020 10:35 AM

Per our discussion from a couple days ago I created a Facebook group for the thread and invited a few of you who I am friends with. Check it out here and join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/394930371671660/

If it doesn't work out and we decide to just stay here, NBD.

barbogast 10-13-2020 11:39 AM

Popping in to say join the fb group. I won’t lie I haven’t even been lurking around here lately but...as a few of y’all have said y’all will always be my favorite hockey people....if you aren’t friends with one of us send us a request

And beware since it’s fb i may shitpost some lol. Kidding. Maybe.

:hug

Roose13 10-13-2020 12:02 PM

Boom I'm in

justinandimcool 10-13-2020 12:15 PM

wanna start getting into hockey next season. is there like an nfl red zone show for hockey every day that covers the whole league live?

fonzz41 10-13-2020 12:15 PM

We're already talking more in there than we have here in months :lol

Roose13 10-13-2020 12:23 PM

We should keep it private. Don't want any Bruins fans showing up around playoff time ;)

SmoothG 10-16-2020 04:31 PM

Thornton to Leafs for 700k, I like it.

Roose13 10-16-2020 05:50 PM

Bargain deal for a vet