Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 03-31-2016 12:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Should be an interesting game tonight when the Rangers visit the Hurricanes. Jordan Staal against Eric Staal on a faceoff with Mark Staal playing defense behind Eric is definitely going to be interesting. I am sure Carolina will do some sort of tribute to Eric as well and that is worth a watch. Just hope he doesn't walk into the home dressing room out of habit in his first return there. :lol

lockman21 03-31-2016 01:04 PM

And Viktor STAALberg.

Right?!

~Crashintome89~ 03-31-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16355164)
I wouldn't trade either for Matthews straight up.

Should have prefaced, I wouldn't do it straight up either. Seabrook would be the key piece coming back.

lockman21 03-31-2016 01:05 PM

The real discussion is if anyone will ever overtake Tim as the top poster in this thread.

fonzz41 03-31-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16355261)
On a serious note, I could see someone like Shattenkirk going for their pick. Obviously there would be more to it than that, but that would be the building blocks of that trade. Maybe Shattenkirk and the Blues 1st rounder for the #1 overall and Yakupov? Just spit-balling here.

Yeah, something like this is very possible. I don't know if Yakupov would be part of the deal... they may want to save him for a separate transaction. But yes, something like Shattenkirk and a first for Matthews and something else seems ball park.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16355417)
The real discussion is if anyone will ever overtake Tim as the top poster in this thread.

That may be one of those unbreakable Gretzky-esque records.

~Crashintome89~ 03-31-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16355414)
And Viktor STAALberg.

Right?!

did he win the cup in '10 with you guys?

UCFish 03-31-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16355430)

OH yeah.....He brought all the SPEED.

Also pretty sure he had the primary assist on the game winner of the first game of the playoffs in OT.

About all I remember him contributing.

barbogast 03-31-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16355424)
That may be one of those unbreakable Gretzky-esque records.

Speaking of Gretzky and records, it's thread awards season yes?

Always the best post annually

Lcsulla 03-31-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16355246)
Just because I do not comment on every game does not mean I do not have the NHL package and follow.

I have it as well and watch plenty of other games. I also have a morning routine since I work from home, 20 minutes before work starts I have my coffee and read the newest articles on nhl.com and espn.com\nhl and some of the online chicago papers for blackhawks news. Very few of my friends or family care about hockey so this thread is a good place to discuss it because most of us know the difference between a slash and a spear!

dmbwadeo 03-31-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16355424)
Yeah, something like this is very possible. I don't know if Yakupov would be part of the deal... they may want to save him for a separate transaction. But yes, something like Shattenkirk and a first for Matthews and something else seems ball park.

The Blues would have to give up way more. Just because the Oilers have had #1 overall a bunch in the past doesn't mean they are going to give away Matthews. Shattenkirk only has one year left on his deal after this year and he is already 27.

fonzz41 03-31-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16355470)

Damn, son, you're right. I've got to get on that.

Lcsulla 03-31-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16355430)

No, he was on the Leafs for that season. He won a cup with the Hawks in 2013.

barbogast 03-31-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16354762)
Bit slow at work, so I started thinking about some of the trades Edmonton could make to shore up that defense, like we were talking about yesterday. They have need for anyone who can slot in at 1-4. Swordo and Mike D, feel free to forward this list on to Chiarelli.

Blockbuster-type deals. You'll probably scoff at these, and rightfully so, but these are the types of deals Chiarelli could potentially LOOK FOR if he decided to trade Austin Matthews (I don't even need to call it the #1 pick, let's be honest). He'd be stupid to not at least try.
Cam Fowler
Mike Giordano
Brent Seabrook
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Alex Goligoski
Roman Josi
Brent Burns
Alex Pietrangelo
John Carlson
Karl Alzner

Other defensemen that may not be bona fide #1 guys, but could easily play top minutes. They could be the return in a Yakupov/Nuge deal, or part of a package for Matthews. These aren't guys that should be relied on to fix the problem (as the Oilers mistakenly tried with Andrew Ference), but will help them get there (as the Oilers should have treated Ference).
Sami Vatanen
Kevin Bieksa
Torey Krug
TJ Brodie
Zach Bogosian
Tyson Barrie
Brendan Smith
Erik Gudbranson
Dmitri Kulikov
Jake Muzzin
Jared Spurgeon
Keith Yandle
Dan Girardi
Travis Hamonic
Kevin Shattenkirk
Dan Hamhuis
Marc Staal
Johnny Boychuk

I'll follow suit and comment on the Caps players you mentioned.

First of all, thanks for throwing some love Alzy's way. In my opinion, he is one of the most overlooked players in the sport. Easily the Caps best stay at home dman.

However, I don't think the Caps will consider trading either player for a chance at Matthews. Adding a player like that to an already potent lineup does sound sexy, but the Caps have finally struck balance for first time in a very long time. They're capable enough offensively, and finally have a d core that can hang with anyone. I doubt Mac would wanna shake that up.

But I know it's all hypothetical anyway, and is all very unlikely.

I do agree with the idea that if Edmonton does indeed win the #1 pick again, they should seriously consider moving it.

c33dmb 03-31-2016 01:32 PM

And I can't go to the game tonight. :lorraine

My buddy's sports marketing class went on a field trip to the arena today and posted a picture of Eric skating around on the rink all by his lonesome. Cool, but super sad.

Pretty cool memoir of sorts he wrote here, I enjoyed reading it. I will be gone this weekend, so hopefully I can hit the last home game next week.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/eri...icanes-letter/

fonzz41 03-31-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbwadeo (Post 16355475)
The Blues would have to give up way more. Just because the Oilers have had #1 overall a bunch in the past doesn't mean they are going to give away Matthews. Shattenkirk only has one year left on his deal after this year and he is already 27.

Straight up Shattenkirk for Matthews? No way. They'd want St. Louis's first rounder and probably a high prospect or impact roster player. Their asking price would be much more probably, but would perhaps drop if they are intent on moving him and it's time for them to step up to the draft podium (and like I said yesterday, they may decide just to keep him and still benefit from having another generational player).

I still think Edmonton will look for bigger fish. Some of the ones I mentioned in my longer post from the previous page. Shattenkirk was on my mid-range list. If they really wanted him, they could probably get a deal done for him that doesn't even include Matthews (Yakupov or Nugent-Hopkins).

fonzz41 03-31-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16355488)
I'll follow suit and comment on the Caps players you mentioned.

First of all, thanks for throwing some love Alzy's way. In my opinion, he is one of the most overlooked players in the sport. Easily the Caps best stay at home dman.

However, I don't think the Caps will consider trading either player for a chance at Matthews. Adding a player like that to an already potent lineup does sound sexy, but the Caps have finally struck balance for first time in a very long time. They're capable enough offensively, and finally have a d core that can hang with anyone. I doubt Mac would wanna shake that up.

But I know it's all hypothetical anyway, and is all very unlikely.

I do agree with the idea that if Edmonton does indeed win the #1 pick again, they should seriously consider moving it.

Yep, with the good situation the Caps are in right now, I would be very surprised to see a deal go down with them and Edmonton.

I'll say again, I think these are all players Chiarelli could be interested in and would be stupid not to call about. I wasn't necessarily looking to point out realistic deals.

JRS1386 03-31-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16355470)

Leave it to the caps fan to look forward to awards and not the post season

CrushB610 03-31-2016 03:32 PM

One of the more exciting of the 25-30 or so flyers games I've been to last night.. Fans were kept quiet for majority of the game and wasn't much to get into really until that 3rd pd goal. Holtby sure is impressive in person. From there on out it felt similar to a playoff atmosphere. Good win and love the way they are playing. Save by Mason on Kuznetsov was unreal and was just another solid game for Mason since Neuvirth went down.

I guess it stood out to me more last night than past games but damn some flyers fans are such dicks for no reason (I understand every fan base has them) but. yelling obscenities in the bathroom to caps fans who are minding their own business. This guy "can't wait for the stadium series so I can piss all over Heinz field!!" And his buddies are lovin it. Dude that's not funny. Icing on the cake for it was 2 flyers fans getting into a fist fight a section over from us.

All this was on fan appreciation night too :lol

fonzz41 03-31-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16355589)

:lol:lol:lol

Someone's making a late case for their 3rd consecutive Lappy award.

barbogast 03-31-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

:lol :lol

well done

~Crashintome89~ 03-31-2016 05:46 PM

This post is stupid because I'm a dummy.

Dramageek 03-31-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushB610 (Post 16355618)
One of the more exciting of the 25-30 or so flyers games I've been to last night.. Fans were kept quiet for majority of the game and wasn't much to get into really until that 3rd pd goal. Holtby sure is impressive in person. From there on out it felt similar to a playoff atmosphere. Good win and love the way they are playing. Save by Mason on Kuznetsov was unreal and was just another solid game for Mason since Neuvirth went down.

I guess it stood out to me more last night than past games but damn some flyers fans are such dicks for no reason (I understand every fan base has them) but. yelling obscenities in the bathroom to caps fans who are minding their own business. This guy "can't wait for the stadium series so I can piss all over Heinz field!!" And his buddies are lovin it. Dude that's not funny. Icing on the cake for it was 2 flyers fans getting into a fist fight a section over from us

All this was on fan appreciation night too :lol

:lol :lol Sounds about right.

Flyers are looking really good though. I hope the meet the Caps in the playoffs and they beat each other up.

And the Pens are really good right now! It's so fun to watch!

salrx95 03-31-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

That's great lol

Friggin Hamonic left tonight's game and won't return. Better be precautionary. Having a flashback to last year already when we missed him dearly vs the Caps.

salrx95 03-31-2016 06:05 PM

Greiss gives 2 soft goals to give up the 3-1 lead. Not liking our first round chances right with oue goaltending situation.

aeroshady 03-31-2016 06:23 PM

Rangers collapsing in the third again....painful to watch.

Lcsulla 03-31-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16355800)
Greiss gives 2 soft goals to give up the 3-1 lead. Not liking our first round chances right with oue goaltending situation.

Yeah, they were pretty pathetic.

Pens getting it done though and on the cusp of denying the Preds a playoff berth for another game.

kev87lads 03-31-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16355480)
Damn, son, you're right. I've got to get on that.

I actually think you do it closer to the draft and free agency after the season. Like when the actual NHL awards get announced.

aeroshady 03-31-2016 06:43 PM

Watch the Rangers get the WC spot now

salrx95 03-31-2016 06:44 PM

Well, we got the win and that's all that matters.

Big game with Pigsburgh on Saturday, though I'm working so I'll have to watch it on the dvr

thechad90000 03-31-2016 07:02 PM

It'd be nice if Nashville could just finish out this season without completely limping into the playoffs.