Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

c33dmb 02-26-2016 12:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Big game tonight. Canes shat themselves pretty hard this week so a win to turn things around would do wonders (I think). I have a feeling Marchand will hurt us though. First Bruins matchup of the year and I haven't really seen them deal well with talented tougher guys.

Just glad to be back at the arena for the first time in a couple weeks.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 12:26 PM

Welcome Canes fan!! We love fresh blood here :)

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 12:28 PM

I am torn on two games tonight. TBL vs NJD is tough cause Devils are right behind the Wings and Tampa is right ahead. A NJ loss keeps them further behind. Same goes for Canes vs Bruins. Just no OT for those games.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315807)

I worry more about the trap games where your favorite team is heavily favored and supposed to win than I do a game like say Hawks v Kings where I know damn well it is going to be a nailbiter!

Hoping Edmonton can beat the Ducks tonight, seems like a trap game for Anaheim to me.

c33dmb 02-26-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315807)

Thanks, #1 thing I've learned so far is that hockey people are good people :hug

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16315812)
I am torn on two games tonight. TBL vs NJD is tough cause Devils are right behind the Wings and Tampa is right ahead. A NJ loss keeps them further behind. Same goes for Canes vs Bruins. Just no OT for those games.

Go Lightning! I think we lost them when we handed them the game on Sunday. Gotta hope we can catch NJ at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315825)
I worry more about the trap games where your favorite team is heavily favored and supposed to win than I do a game like say Hawks v Kings where I know damn well it is going to be a nailbiter!

Hoping Edmonton can beat the Ducks tonight, seems like a trap game for Anaheim to me.

Haven't had to worry about any of those trap games yet. :lol Actually, losing to Toronto last night probably counts.

We really need Brad Malone (our enforcer) back from injury. I feel like a good fight would have mobilized the team in a few of these 3rd period when they get lazy and throw the game away.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16301732)

I would take him back in LA

Regarding Scuderi...guess I get him back!!

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16315839)
Haven't had to worry about any of those trap games yet. :lol Actually, losing to Toronto last night probably counts.

We really need Brad Malone (our enforcer) back from injury. I feel like a good fight would have mobilized the team in a few of these 3rd period when they get lazy and throw the game away.

Yeah, loosing to the Leafs this season definitely qualifies as a WTF game, they are THAT bad.

Malone will help you eat minutes but unless he somehow gets better he just is not that good of a player skillwise. Yeah, he is an enforcer and I know all teams need them to an extent but they are not as valuable as they used to be (aka Jari Kurri) at all. That said I am happy with the Hawks landing Ladd because he gives them a more physical game to compliment their skill level - basically before this trade it was Shaw and Mashinter (to a lesser extent Seabrook and Rozsival)who provided protection for the skill guys.

fonzz41 02-26-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16315839)
Thanks, #1 thing I've learned so far is that hockey people are good people :hug

Meant to reply to your longer post from a while back about the Canes d-men. Totally agree that they've done a tremendous job establishing themselves there. Faulk is already a #1 guy, and Hanifin needs maybe another couple seasons to really settle in (not uncommon for teenage d-men in the NHL), but the skill level is definitely there. Pesce is who's surprised me the most. That guy came out of nowhere it seems like, and has been quite the revelation.

So many teams struggle in developing defensemen, but the Canes seem to have that down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315906)
Malone will help you eat minutes but unless he somehow gets better he just is not that good of a player skillwise. Yeah, he is an enforcer and I know all teams need them to an extent but they are not as valuable as they used to be (aka Jari Kurri) at all. That said I am happy with the Hawks landing Ladd because he gives them a more physical game to compliment their skill level - basically before this trade it was Shaw and Mashinter (to a lesser extent Seabrook and Rozsival)who provided protection for the skill guys.

To the bolded, I think you mean someone else? Maybe Marty McSorley?

But your point is well taken, and something we've discussed here before I think. The idea of a player on the roster JUST to fight is a thing of the past. Guys are counted on to play a role, as well as stick up for each other physically. On the Avs, it's Cody McLeod, who logs regular time on the 3rd/4th line, has 7 goals on the season (not bad for his role), and is a regular on the Avs' PK. Oh yeah, he's up there in fighting majors too. Hell, I think Iginla is second on the team in fights. The days of the "enforcer" are all but gone in the NHL, with it only being a role guys take on when they feel it's necessary.

lockman21 02-26-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315860)

lololol enjoy

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315860)

Enjoy watching him ride the bench, he is a 'break glass during emergency' guy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16315934)
To the bolded, I think you mean someone else? Maybe Marty McSorley?

You are 100% correct, that is exactly who I meant. I should have googled it.

Also, I cannot stand McLeod, if he was just an enforcer I wouldn't mind but he is a dirty player in general who takes stupid penalties that cost his team.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16315947)
lololol enjoy

I will dammit!

lockman21 02-26-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315980)
Enjoy watching him ride the bench, he is a 'break glass during emergency' guy!

He's "open in case of emergency but do so very carefully as his legs and body are all really old and fragile" guy.

SirBobalew 02-26-2016 03:32 PM

Holtbeast action figure night here at Verizon tonight. http://m.imgur.com/MyKBXIj

barbogast 02-26-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16316000)
Holtbeast action figure night here at Verizon tonight. http://m.imgur.com/MyKBXIj

Any extras can be sent my way

fonzz41 02-26-2016 05:36 PM

You know who still looks really good? Val Kamensky. Guy is still shifty as hell.

But it is pretty hilarious watching these guys. Nostalgic too. Love watching it with my kids.

barbogast 02-26-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16316074)
You know who still looks really good? Val Kamensky. Guy is still shifty as hell.

But it is pretty hilarious watching these guys. Nostalgic too. Love watching it with my kids.

:thumbsup awesome

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 06:55 PM

Bowman never quits.

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:04 PM

Since no one has posted it:

Blackhawks get Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise from the Canadiens in exchange for Phillip Danault and CHI's 2018 2nd round pick. Somehow Bryan Bickell is still here.

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:05 PM

lol bowman is playing NHL 16 at this point

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:06 PM

I just traded Ville Pokka for Keith Yandle in NHL 16, why doesn't Stan do that while he's at it?

kthnx

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:11 PM

Who knows if Stan is even done. Can Hossa just stay on IR until the playoffs? That free up some cap space.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2016 07:11 PM

:lol @ Jari Kurri being an enforcer.

NHL 14 is ridiculous. I traded Coburn and a 1st for Aaron Ekblad. Claude Giroux for Connor McDavid, and picked up Ekman-Larsson off of waivers.

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16316126)
Who knows if Stan is even done. Can Hossa just stay on IR until the playoffs? That free up some cap space.

Hossa isn't on LTIR, so it doesn't have any impact on the cap. Regular IR has no cap implications. He's actually supposed to be back against Minny or Dallas anyway.

I don't think Stan is done. I still think Hamhuis ends up in Chicago, and Bickell and Pokka get moved to make that happen. Hawks retain 50% of Bickell or something.

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16316131)
Hossa isn't on LTIR, so it doesn't have any impact on the cap. Regular IR has no cap implications. He's actually supposed to be back against Minny or Dallas anyway.

I get that.

But if his ankle suddenly "swelled up" and they could put him on LTIR then it be good news for the Hawks. I was only being half serious, but last year it was the Kane injury that allowed them to get Vermette.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2016 07:50 PM

You just can' throw someone on LTIR. They have to be legitimately hurt and for a long period of time.

lockman21 02-26-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16316135)
I get that.

But if his ankle suddenly "swelled up" and they could put him on LTIR then it be good news for the Hawks. I was only being half serious, but last year it was the Kane injury that allowed them to get Vermette.

I mean, Kane broke his collarbone. They may have held him out an extra couple games, but not an extra couple months. :lol

dmbetc 02-26-2016 10:55 PM

I hate that I'm anout to post a Ducks hightlight but this is just too nice

https://instagram.com/p/BCR00aAKH94/

kev87lads 02-27-2016 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16316211)
I hate that I'm anout to post a Ducks hightlight but this is just too nice

https://instagram.com/p/BCR00aAKH94/

Oh my...

barbogast 02-27-2016 07:56 AM

I feel bad complaining but the Caps have been kinda terrible the past couple weeks. They still find ways to win most nights but they're playing like shit for about 40 minutes right now. Holtby's been much more human lately.

coldengrey12 02-27-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16316074)

Super Joe's wrister is still deadly. That was a sniper.