Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 05-19-2015 06:22 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

let us discuss more of posting habits please.

unccrombie 05-19-2015 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15962372)
Crazy game last night. Cool that Johnson scored shorthanded, on the PP, and at even. Not quite the Lemieux scoring 5 different ways game, but very cool.

the entire game last night i was begging someone to put a body on him.
it's like throwing the ball to megatron.

aeroshady 05-19-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15962382)
I should have added, Greg, that I am leaving for vacation tomorrow afternoon and won't be back until Sunday night so I likely won't be around much and may not post much at all.

I am headed to Barbs' area of the country as the wife and I are finally visiting Charlottesville after all these years of following the band for a couple of days before heading up to the Bristow show on Sunday. We are looking forward to 4 days of kid free fun.

Just having a go at you because you are an Icelanders fan who constantly posts here rooting for anyone but the Rangers lol. Opens you up to attack since my team is still playing hockey...ya know....well maybe you don't.

In all seriousness though. Have an awesome and safe trip with the wife! Enjoy!

TMoore4075 05-19-2015 06:31 AM

hey, my team probably should have beaten that team that scored 6 last night, in 5 games....but no. Instead I'm waiting to see if the coach is staying or not. Sounds like it'll be made tomorrow...while I'm at a fucking staff retreat.. Maybe that's for the better.

SirBobalew 05-19-2015 06:31 AM

Quote:

I should have added, Greg, that I am leaving for vacation tomorrow afternoon and won't be back until Sunday night so I likely won't be around much and may not post much at all.

I am headed to Barbs' area of the country as the wife and I are finally visiting Charlottesville after all these years of following the band for a couple of days before heading up to the Bristow show on Sunday. We are looking forward to 4 days of kid free fun.

:thumbsup you going to be joining us for the tailgate on Saturday? I'm really looking forward to it!

(and Barbs, I'm definitely going to give you a shout too and come find you at some point)

aeroshady 05-19-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15962353)
Greg getting fiesty :lol

I get to watch very little of these games when they are actually being played...I have to take out my frustrations somewhere haha. Also, this is the Eastern Conference Finals! One of these two teams will be crowned champions of the East! We need to wear the title proud since an eastern team winning a cup would be a huge upset in my opinion.

salrx95 05-19-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15962411)
Just having a go at you because you are an Icelanders fan who constantly posts here rooting for anyone but the Rangers lol. Opens you up to attack since my team is still playing hockey...ya know....well maybe you don't.

In all seriousness though. Have an awesome and safe trip with the wife! Enjoy!

Not for nothing but your post this morning and others at me have come off a little mean spirited but I would hope it's all in good fun. Duly noted that it's all in good fun.

I mean, the Rag$ have been arch enemies for me for 30 years now since my first Islander/Rag$ game. Back in the 80's and early 90' the games and crowd were a lot more mean-spirited and nasty and fight-filled. They are way more tamer these days but my hatred is well developed and cultured over a long period of time. I remember being picked on by older Rag$ fans when I was like 13 or 14 because, for whatever reason, there always seemed to be a bunch of Rag$ fans in our section where my half-season tickets were. I worked all summer long back in those days to pay for those half-season tickets.

We are looking forward to the trip. Thanks. Lots of eating, drinking and sight seeing and, hopefully, a great show Saturday night.

As for the tailgate, Sir Bobalew, we will try and find you guys for sure. It should be easy to find all of you. I will go shopping tomorrow and bring down some local CT brews. You may see me first, though I will leave my Yankee and Islander gear home so as not to draw attention. If you see a 6'5 balded, bearded guy with glasses who looks like he is not from the area, that's me. :) The beard was new for the winter and it was supposed to go already but the wife likes it and who am I to take that away from her :lol

UNC41 05-19-2015 07:18 AM

What is the consensus in Philadelphia on the Hakstol hire? I covered him for three years in college when Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Zajac and Green were there. I don't think he'll be over his head from a coachign perspective if he gets a couple assistants with NHL experience on his staff.

The key to Hakstol's success will be getting the Flyers to buy in to his personality. He was by far the most intense coach I've ever been around. He's got it dialed up to 10 absolutely all of the time. It'll be interesting to see if NHL players are receptive to that from a guy who has never played or coached in the league before.

~Crashintome89~ 05-19-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNC41 (Post 15962559)
What is the consensus in Philadelphia on the Hakstol hire? I covered him for three years in college when Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Zajac and Green were there. I don't think he'll be over his head from a coachign perspective if he gets a couple assistants with NHL experience on his staff.

The key to Hakstol's success will be getting the Flyers to buy in to his personality. He was by far the most intense coach I've ever been around. He's got it dialed up to 10 absolutely all of the time. It'll be interesting to see if NHL players are receptive to that from a guy who has never played or coached in the league before.

I think we're all excited. A lot of people are more happy at the fact that we're not getting a retread, and even more so that this was Hextall's guy. Outside of Babcock, the coaches out there are dire. Todd McClellan I didn't want, DeBoer doesn't really impress me--Dineen, Eakins, etc. are too fresh.

Funny thing about it, I don't know if people know this but apparently Hakstol turned down the Flyers job twice, but Hextall kept at it.

You see the guys you mentioned, and no doubt there's similarities between all of them--they're hard working guys who have had success in the league.

SirBobalew 05-19-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15962492)
We are looking forward to the trip. Thanks. Lots of eating, drinking and sight seeing and, hopefully, a great show Saturday night.

As for the tailgate, Sir Bobalew, we will try and find you guys for sure. It should be easy to find all of you. I will go shopping tomorrow and bring down some local CT brews. You may see me first, though I will leave my Yankee and Islander gear home so as not to draw attention. If you see a 6'5 balded, bearded guy with glasses who looks like he is not from the area, that's me. :) The beard was new for the winter and it was supposed to go already but the wife likes it and who am I to take that away from her :lol

I'll keep an eye out. :lol

I'd tell you how to find me, but I'm a pretty generic looking white dude.

barbogast 05-19-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Dude! Hell yes, Cville's a great town. Get a bagel at Bodo's, and a bacon cheeseburger at Riverside. Miller's is overrated (but you should still go). Blenheim is beautiful. Enjoy!

barbogast 05-19-2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15962414)
:thumbsup you going to be joining us for the tailgate on Saturday? I'm really looking forward to it!

(and Barbs, I'm definitely going to give you a shout too and come find you at some point)

:thumbsup cool. I'll be in the lots somewhere

SirBobalew 05-19-2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15962613)
Dude! Hell yes, Cville's a great town. Get a bagel at Bodo's, and a bacon cheeseburger at Riverside. Miller's is overrated (but you should still go). Blenheim is beautiful. Enjoy!

Cannot emphasize this enough.

barbogast 05-19-2015 07:34 AM

Sorry for the non hockey chat. Go Ducks

barbogast 05-19-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15962621)
Cannot emphasize this enough.

Smoked turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, Swiss cheese on everything. You're welcome

aeroshady 05-19-2015 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15962492)
Not for nothing but your post this morning and others at me have come off a little mean spirited but I would hope it's all in good fun. Duly noted that it's all in good fun.

I mean, the Rag$ have been arch enemies for me for 30 years now since my first Islander/Rag$ game. Back in the 80's and early 90' the games and crowd were a lot more mean-spirited and nasty and fight-filled. They are way more tamer these days but my hatred is well developed and cultured over a long period of time. I remember being picked on by older Rag$ fans when I was like 13 or 14 because, for whatever reason, there always seemed to be a bunch of Rag$ fans in our section where my half-season tickets were. I worked all summer long back in those days to pay for those half-season tickets.

Yeah, I mean it all in good fun and in the spirit of the rivalry. I obviously don't have anything personally against anyone in this forum. We all love hockey and found our way here through DMB. Those two things alone mean I like you more than most people I have met haha. One of my best friend is also a huge islanders fan. I totally get it.

Not messing around, I am actually really excited that the Icelanders are respectable again. Hockey in NY is going to be a blast for the next couple of years. Plus the move to Brooklyn means I can go to games now. I only expect this rivalry to improve and increase greatly. I may say some shit because I am a Rangers fan, but the Islanders being good is great for NY and hockey all together. Also, Devils fans can finally realize they are not our biggest rival despite their desperation to be so.

UNC41 05-19-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15962577)
I think we're all excited. A lot of people are more happy at the fact that we're not getting a retread, and even more so that this was Hextall's guy. Outside of Babcock, the coaches out there are dire. Todd McClellan I didn't want, DeBoer doesn't really impress me--Dineen, Eakins, etc. are too fresh.

Funny thing about it, I don't know if people know this but apparently Hakstol turned down the Flyers job twice, but Hextall kept at it.

You see the guys you mentioned, and no doubt there's similarities between all of them--they're hard working guys who have had success in the league.

Gotcha. The Philly media seemed to be luke warm on the hire based on everything I saw on Twitter yesterday, but that's to be expected with the first guy jumping from college to the NHL in almost 30 years.

Hakstol must have made an impression on Hextall while Brett was in school. I saw a quote yesterday about a comment Hextall made about Matt Green while he was with the Kings saying they needed more players like him, so Hakstol has probably been on his radar for a while.

There's a good chance his personality will rub people the wrong way initially. If he doesn't end up winning it'll be interesting to see if they ever come around.

TMoore4075 05-19-2015 08:03 AM

Sorry losers, but gonna be posting this stuff for the next 24-48 hours.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/755342

Looks like (big fucking surprise) Toronto is a "no-go" for Babs according to McKenzie.

Roose13 05-19-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15947173)
All right, our 2015 NHL THEED awards!

Vezina: dembetc. We all get a little crazy in here, but Sarah's always back there to anchor us.

Adams: TMoore. This guy leads the post count by over 1,000 posts in here. Holy crap!!! But more importantly, always around to set us straight.

Selke: hailtopitt. Consistently attacking while still being called upon to defend. ;)

Richard: ~Crashintome89~. No one has scored more one-timed zingers in this thread this season than Matt.

Byng: For the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW, the ever pleasant Kev87Lads. Remember, the Byng is technically awarded to the nice guy who is also a GREAT player.

Norris: Rebecca De Mornay, for his consistent defense of his team, no matter what.

Calder: SirBobalew. He's only been around a short time, but IMO time enough to earn an award. Great having you on board.

Conn Smythe: bonzo48280, UCFish for their increased performance during the playoffs.

Hart: Barbogast. Hard to deny the impact he's had on the thread this year. MVP status for sure.

And don't worry, there's more!

Buccigross Award for top hockey writer: Roose13

Lappy Award for best trash-talker (formerly the Avery award): JRS1386 (SECOND YEAR IN A ROW, FOLKS)

Keenan Award for being a great hockey mind with the ability to lose it once in a while: aeroshady

Chelios Award for being the oldest (and probably most accomplished) poster in the thread: Salrx95

Shane Doan award for bullish devotion to team: HallowBillies and Pathetic

Don Koharski award for most disagreed with poster: Bron

Ilya Bryzgalov award for poster with most :lol after a quoted post: Brohan Santana

Charlie Conway award for most willing to learn more about hockey: thechad9000

Rick Nash award for most non-existent during the playoffs: Swordo84

Sorry to anyone I've missed... we'll get you!

How the heck did I miss these?!

I am honored to win the Buccigross Award. I will now indulge you with a sample of my fine writing skills with this acceptance speech.

Thanks

fonzz41 05-19-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15962735)
Sorry losers, but gonna be posting this stuff for the next 24-48 hours.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/755342

Looks like (big fucking surprise) Toronto is a "no-go" for Babs according to McKenzie.

What would you say is the percentage of your posts that deal directly with Babcock? 75%?

:lol ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15962806)
How the heck did I miss these?!

I am honored to win the Buccigross Award. I will now indulge you with a sample of my fine writing skills with this acceptance speech.

Thanks

I can't think of a more deserving recipient, especially after such a moving acceptance speech.

Rebecca De Mornay 05-19-2015 09:22 AM

what are everyones predictions for babcock?

im getting the feeling that he's staying

TMoore4075 05-19-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15962948)
What would you say is the percentage of your posts that deal directly with Babcock? 75%?

:lol ;)

I can't think of a more deserving recipient, especially after such a moving acceptance speech.

Currently? At least that. Starting tomorrow that could turn into posts about Blashill. lol

Roose13 05-19-2015 09:24 AM

With Edmonton and Philly filling their voids, I think Babs stays with Detroit.

Rebecca De Mornay 05-19-2015 09:25 AM

buffalo is the only other place i see him going

fonzz41 05-19-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15962979)

We talk about money, chances for immediate Cups, etc. But I think Babcock is also very much the type of personality that likes the idea of a challenge. Of taking something that's not great and attempting to mold it into something that is. In that sense, I can very much see him going to Buffalo.

Of course, one could say there's a very relevant challenge in Detroit as we're starting to see the beginning of the changing of a guard throughout the roster. A lot of guys getting up there in age, and a lot of newbs cracking the line up.

TMoore4075 05-19-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15962976)
With Edmonton and Philly filling their voids, I think Babs stays with Detroit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15962979)

Those are the only two places right now it seems. I think it's 50/50 which one he takes. Winning, listening to media people and just logic = Detroit. Sure some guys are getting older but they have some good young talent now and coming. But my gut still kinda feels it'll be Buffalo. But thinking logic there, it's gonna be 2-3 years before they make the playoffs. I don't see that sitting too well with him. With what Blashill has done in GR the last 3 years, I'll be somewhat comfortable with him if it happens. Either way, glad it should be over tomorrow.

Rebecca De Mornay 05-19-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15963015)
We talk about money, chances for immediate Cups, etc. But I think Babcock is also very much the type of personality that likes the idea of a challenge. Of taking something that's not great and attempting to mold it into something that is. In that sense, I can very much see him going to Buffalo.

Of course, one could say there's a very relevant challenge in Detroit as we're starting to see the beginning of the changing of a guard throughout the roster. A lot of guys getting up there in age, and a lot of newbs cracking the line up.

I mean, with Evander Kane and Eichel surrounded by the other young talent that team has and will add at the upcoming draft, they might not be as far away as they seem.

TMoore4075 05-19-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15963021)
I mean, with Evander Kane and Eichel surrounded by the other young talent that team has and will add at the upcoming draft, they might not be as far away as they seem.

Still have to jump over Montreal, Tampa, Detroit, Ottawa, Boston and FLA who are all better than them right now. That's why I think they are a few years away from the playoffs.

Plus Evander Kane might be too busy with his hundred dollar bills. :)

Rebecca De Mornay 05-19-2015 09:45 AM

boston is about to collapse.
detroit without babcock is average.
ottawa is average at best.

the real problem will be getting past CBJ in the ECF.

hailtopitt 05-19-2015 09:48 AM

Buffalo won't be a doormat but they are by no means close to contending

their division, the entire eastern conference in fact, is so competitive...