Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 05-01-2014 07:07 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15296517)
Decent chance we get the same final 4 as last year, and i think we end up seeing the same final as last year as well.

I was thinking the same thing. :thumbsup

Still a little early for me to decide, but I think I may be pulling for the Bruins, if only for Iginla. If my team's not in the playoffs (pretty common for me these past couple years), I usually start to cheer for certain players who I want to see win the Cup, regardless of team. Iggy is definitely at the top of the list right now.

pathetic 05-01-2014 07:21 AM

Rangers in 6
Bruins in 7
Hawks in 6
Ducks in 7

lockman21 05-01-2014 07:24 AM

Rangers in 6
Series MVP: Rick Nash

Canadiens in 7
Series MVP: Max Pacioretty

Hawks in 5
Series MVP: Duncan Keith

Kings in 6
Series MVP: Jeff Carter

Rebecca De Mornay 05-01-2014 07:26 AM

love that pacioretty pick, guy was relatively quiet in the tampa series until the last game.

rlpi100 05-01-2014 07:28 AM

Hawks in 5
Ducks in 7

Canadiens in 7
Pens in 6

rickyh24 05-01-2014 07:31 AM

Porter you dumb.

rlpi100 05-01-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15296592)
Porter you dumb.

Just making predictions

rickyh24 05-01-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpi100 (Post 15296602)
Just making predictions

I didn't even see your prediction. Just wanted to throw that out there.

lockman21 05-01-2014 07:37 AM

I will be a little sad if we get Chi/LA and Bos/Pitt again.

fonzz41 05-01-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296609)

I think the Rangers can take the Pens, but other than that I don't see it being too different.

The Kings/Ducks series should be amazingly good. These guys will want to tear each other's throats out. I think the Kings experience and goaltending is the difference maker, but should be an awesome series.

TMoore4075 05-01-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296609)

Yeah what is this? The NBA? I picked the Bruins and Pens but can see either losing. Habs are going good and always give the Bruins fits. Bruins have one the last couple but Habs have the overall series by a lot.

lockman21 05-01-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15296578)
love that pacioretty pick, guy was relatively quiet in the tampa series until the last game.

:thumbsup He's a streaky guy, if he can ride that wave into this series, could be really dangerous. I'm thinking the same thing with Jeff Carter.

Duncan Keith was by far the best skater on the ice in that Blackhawks/Blues series, especially the last couple games. Excited to see him playing so well. Q said of Keith's game 6 that it was "the best game he's ever seen Keith play". He's just an absolute monster right now. Hope he can keep it going.

rickyh24 05-01-2014 07:43 AM

Pens in 4.
Bruins in 4.
Hawks in 4.
Ducks in 4.

lockman21 05-01-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15296619)
I think the Rangers can take the Pens, but other than that I don't see it being too different.

The Kings/Ducks series should be amazingly good. These guys will want to tear each other's throats out. I think the Kings experience and goaltending is the difference maker, but should be an awesome series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15296630)
Yeah what is this? The NBA? I picked the Bruins and Pens but can see either losing. Habs are going good and always give the Bruins fits. Bruins have one the last couple but Habs have the overall series by a lot.

I don't like the Ducks goaltending/blue line situation nearly as much as LA either, so I just can't see Anaheim pulling this off.

It's why I'm rooting hard for the Canadiens and Rangers...even if I really can't stand the stupid French thing in Montreal.

fonzz41 05-01-2014 07:50 AM

Drew Doughty is so sexy right now.

No one, and I mean NO ONE in today's NHL comes close to having the all-around skills and impact that #4 Bobby Orr did, but if I had to name the guy that came closest, it would be Doughty.

Bron Yr Aur 05-01-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296638)
I don't like the Ducks goaltending/blue line situation nearly as much as LA either, so I just can't see Anaheim pulling this off.

It's why I'm rooting hard for the Canadiens and Rangers...even if I really can't stand the stupid French thing in Montreal.

What do you mean by this?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/2...real-canadiens

I'll say

Bruins in 6
Pens in 6

Hawks in 6
Kings in 7

lockman21 05-01-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15296658)
Drew Doughty is so sexy right now.

No one, and I mean NO ONE in today's NHL comes close to having the all-around skills and impact that #4 Bobby Orr did, but if I had to name the guy that came closest, it would be Doughty.

Might be the only thing we disagree on, because I'd put Duncan Keith as the guy the closest in today's NHL. Keith has such a strong stride, his skating ability is unmatched by anyone in today's NHL, much like Orr. Guy can move the puck and has vision to make things happen.

fonzz41 05-01-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296680)
Might be the only thing we disagree on, because I'd put Duncan Keith as the guy the closest in today's NHL. Keith has such a strong stride, his skating ability is unmatched by anyone in today's NHL, much like Orr. Guy can move the puck and has vision to make things happen.

Very well could be.

Keith is second on my list.

Doughty has all the physical talent, including quick agile skating, but he also has that rare innate ability to completely take over a game at opportune times. Sometimes he does it by producing offense, and sometimes by shutting down other team's top guys. You rarely see that, and when you do, it's usually from forwards or goalies. Hardly ever from rear-guards.

The two (Keith and Doughty) are so awesome, though, it's probably not even worth arguing about. Both have given me raging boners many a time.

lockman21 05-01-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15296679)

Montreal currently and always has been a little pretentious and weird about the French language. Examples, Google their team, it comes up as "Canadiens de Montréal", the fanbase and organization has always been insistent that every GM/President/etc. speaks French as their primary language, people have even been fired because of the government and fans outrage when they hire someone that doesn't speak French, etc. etc.

lockman21 05-01-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15296696)
Very well could be.

Keith is second on my list.

Doughty has all the physical talent, including quick agile skating, but he also has that rare innate ability to completely take over a game at opportune times. Sometimes he does it by producing offense, and sometimes by shutting down other team's top guys. You rarely see that, and when you do, it's usually from forwards or goalies. Hardly ever from rear-guards.

The two (Keith and Doughty) are so awesome, though, it's probably not even worth arguing about. Both have given me raging boners many a time.

I will say that I think Keith and Doughty are #1 and #2 on my list of top defenseman in the league, closely followed by Alex Pietrangelo (honorable mention to Suter and Weber).

Man, defenseman are the best.

TMoore4075 05-01-2014 08:17 AM

I'm gonna throw some Wings news out there just cause. Apparently Weiss was hurting at the start of the season and didn't say anything so he was playing through pain, which later was diagnosed as a sports hernia. That explains a lot.

fonzz41 05-01-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296733)
I will say that I think Keith and Doughty are #1 and #2 on my list of top defenseman in the league, closely followed by Alex Pietrangelo (honorable mention to Suter and Weber).

Man, defenseman are the best.

Agreed. All five of those guys are absolute money.

re: Suter. It was crazy seeing him out there... it was like he never left the ice once the entire 7 game series. Amazing the stamina that guy has and the minutes he's called on to log.

EDIT: Suter reminds me a lot of Ray Bourque in the steady, if often unnoticed presence he exhibits. He's does well in all areas, but does it rather quietly. Just like Ray.

hailtopitt 05-01-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15296756)
I'm gonna throw some Wings news out there just cause. Apparently Weiss was hurting at the start of the season and didn't say anything so he was playing through pain, which later was diagnosed as a sports hernia. That explains a lot.

at the start of the season? couldn't he have had surgery for that immediately and be back in about a month or two? unless i'm way off on sports hernias...

lockman21 05-01-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15296756)

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiieeeeeeeeeee

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15296772)
Agreed. All five of those guys are absolute money.

re: Suter. It was crazy seeing him out there... it was like he never left the ice once the entire 7 game series. Amazing the stamina that guy has and the minutes he's called on to log.

EDIT: Suter reminds me a lot of Ray Bourque in the steady, if often unnoticed presence he exhibits. He's does well in all areas, but does it rather quietly. Just like Ray.

:thumbsup Absolutely. This is still my favorite Suter highlight, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzdCWAgxams

TMoore4075 05-01-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15296781)
at the start of the season? couldn't he have had surgery for that immediately and be back in about a month or two? unless i'm way off on sports hernias...

Yup. He wasn't diagnosed and didn't have surgery until December which was going to put him back after the Olympic Break but then had a setback. Had he spoken up, probably could have diagnosed it early and even with a setback, still probably would have been back around the Olympics if they have surgery in October. Said he felt the need to be out there after signing that deal. I understand that, but you've got 5 years to show you were worth it or not. Probably explains why he was struggling too. Pressure to be producing, new team and linemates and pain on top of that, isn't good.

fonzz41 05-01-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296801)
:thumbsup Absolutely. This is still my favorite Suter highlight, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzdCWAgxams

:lol Well, he was definitely noticeable there.

hailtopitt 05-01-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15296809)
Yup. He wasn't diagnosed and didn't have surgery until December which was going to put him back after the Olympic Break but then had a setback. Had he spoken up, probably could have diagnosed it early and even with a setback, still probably would have been back around the Olympics if they have surgery in October. Said he felt the need to be out there after signing that deal. I understand that, but you've got 5 years to show you were worth it or not. Probably explains why he was struggling too. Pressure to be producing, new team and linemates and pain on top of that, isn't good.

sad to hear...could've nipped it in the bud :shrug

AJF_41 05-01-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15296420)

Hawks in 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15296434)

Hawks in 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15296438)
hawks in 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15296461)
Hawks in 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15296486)
Hawks in 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15296557)
Hawks in 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15296570)
Hawks in 5
Series MVP: Duncan Keith

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpi100 (Post 15296582)
Hawks in 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15296634)

Hawks in 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15296679)

Hawks in 6

#yikes
couldn't ask for a better set up

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15296781)

quoting to end multi quote

hailtopitt 05-01-2014 08:42 AM

:lol sorry adam!

still rooting for the wild tho

unccrombie 05-01-2014 08:51 AM

Wild in 7
(just for Adam)

nah, i'm playin. Hawks in 5