Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DMB and the Present Tense (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354734)

Dmbchile 02-14-2021 06:26 AM

DMB and the Present Tense

Hello everyone.

Let me start by saying this...

Welcome, Dmbchile.
You last visited: 04-26-2012 at 09:37 PM

It's been almost 10 years since the last time I visited these forums. I used to go through the forums daily for God knows how many years...never was much of a talker, but I enjoyed reading everyone's comments, that's for sure.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I've wanted to check your opinion on something. I like to read music bios, any artist, no questions asked.

I stumbled upon a book called "Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense", and I was surprised to read so many similarities between the PJ world and the DMB world.

Before I go any further, I need to say that I'm not a PJ fan, if anything I'm far from it.

That being said, you can't ignore the similarities. Both bands have one of the strongest live acts in today's music, with shows that run over the 3-hour mark, setlists that change nightly, and most importantly, a huge, fully committed fan base.

Ask any so-called DMB fan for the best version of Seek Up (the best, not their favorite) and if they instantly say "7.30.01", you got a true fan in front of you.

Both bands worked with the same producer in the first few albums. They went some other way after some years, just to come back to that same producer with not similar results.

But the part that really got me about the book, and the reason I'm writing here, is that the author says that any band has 4, maybe 5 great albums in them. More than 5 is simply not possible.

And it hurts me to say it but I agree with him. I think the band's pinnacle was BTCS, and The Lillywhite Sessions would've been a really good record but not close to BTCS, and after that, it seems that every record is worst than the one before.

You may agree or disagree with me on this, but I would really like to know, why do you guys think this happens? Is it possible for a band so big, so successful, to go back to making something like BTCS? Is it possible to write lyrics as meaninful as "Now progress takes away What forever took to find" or any part of The Dreaming Tree for that matter?

Again, this is not an attack. I love DMB and always will, they are a huge part of my life as I'm sure are of yours, but would really like to hear your input on this. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe someone here will show me that...

Thanks.

sean52692 02-14-2021 06:49 AM

Re: DMB and the Present Tense

One thing that comes to me after reading this post is what Dave mentioned in the Howard Stern interview a couple years back. I think he played a bit of Satellite and mentioned that coming up with that riff was really hard work. Not every songwriting experience is like Christmas Song for him - that's one he has said that sort of just oozed out of him one morning.

The process takes a lot of effort, tweaks, collab, etc.

I think Dave's "magical well" lets call it is mostly tapped. He squeezed most everything out that he could, in my opinion. This doesn't mean he can't right great songs, I think it just means the effort and dedication needs to be first rate.

When the effort isn't first rate... and they aren't really into it... you get most of Come Tomorrow.

coldengrey12 02-14-2021 10:27 AM

I don't agree that any artist or group has a finite amount of good records

I do think, though, that life circumstances are a big factor

I think Trey Anastasio once said something like, "yeah, those first few Phish songs are good because I didn't have anything else to do with my time. Now I have a wife and kids and not as much time to put into songwriting."

And I think that's probably a pretty natural arc for many artists

eggsrsweet 02-14-2021 11:58 AM

You had people like Bruce Flohr stepping in saying things like "Where is the Tripping Billies?" when they heard tLWS. And I find it hilarious that you say tLWS wouldn't have been close to BTCS :lol

And idk if I would ever compare PJ to DMB. DMB is a pretty divisive band; people either really love or really hate them. PJ is at least, in my eyes, pretty well respected across the board. You don't hear too many people just shitting on them like you do with DMB.

prdstmnky36 02-14-2021 12:02 PM

A 3 hour + DMB show?

Dmbchile 02-14-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17895728)
You had people like Bruce Flohr stepping in saying things like "Where is the Tripping Billies?" when they heard tLWS. And I find it hilarious that you say tLWS wouldn't have been close to BTCS :lol

And idk if I would ever compare PJ to DMB. DMB is a pretty divisive band; people either really love or really hate them. PJ is at least, in my eyes, pretty well respected across the board. You don't hear too many people just shitting on them like you do with DMB.

What I meant to say was that the difference between BTCS and Everyday is way bigger than the difference between BTCS and tLWS. BTCS is way up there, don't get me wrong...

crashintonickdm 02-14-2021 01:26 PM

Dave almost always has strong guitar melody. Songs like satellite I feel like are only something he could come up with

Dodo36 02-14-2021 01:39 PM

4-5 strong albums with a wide, universal appeal is about right for the average upper echelon act. Try to think of a band that is remembered in terms of their albums, not just song here and there, by the public as a whole. Aerosmith for instance had some great songs peppered in between lackluster ones to drive sales of their albums. Stevie Wonder's Songs In the Key of Life, or The Band's Music From Big Pink, grateful Dead's American Beauty, Pearl Jam's Ten were all start to finish things of beauty, much like BTCS.

And plenty of people shat on PJ for years. Because they were never marginalized as a soundtrack for a sub-section of society to be tied to a group that could be made unfashionable. The DMB sound just became synonymous with the late '90s frat boy style and mentality, which is super-not in right now, hence the hatescreamers have never had the need to take a breath and regroup. RHCP and Green Day fell out of favor with their original target audiences when they went into new territories and then found new life with a younger audience years later, but their new stuff is really at odds with their older work.

It's not that a band has a finite amount of albums, but few bands have a great deal to say that spans a decade (or three). An artist was treated historically in one of three ways by the labels:
1 - high profile act, give it a couple years between albums to milk all that could be from the previous and make the next as great as it can be. Led to either a string of great albums or the yips while trying to recreate fire
2 - mid-level act they feel need to strike while the iron is hot. a few albums a year, the next released once interest in the previous starts to wane. A couple strong albums amidst a sea of 'good enough' trying to manufacture inspirado
3 - minor act, probably good for a good chart presence a couple of times but longevity is a gamble. usually left to their own devices, songcraft develops unfettered but the audience for it wanes due to lack of promotion.

Unless those in #1 were something truly special (Prince, MJ, Madonna, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Springsteen, etc), they weren't able to last long enough to even do many albums to say that 4 or 5 were really strong, quality works. Think of other acts that have that respect aura from the industry, and then examine their career. Joni Mitchell had a strong run of 9 albums from '69's Clouds to Don Juan's Reckless Daughter in '77, but only three of those records really hit with the public. MJ and Madonna needed new albums every so often to keep people coming back for more than just nostalgia. DMB is an oddity because they have the faithful following that is not at all dependent on album releases.

I know it's a super unpopular opinion, but Flohr wasn't wrong when he asked where the Tripping Billies was with LWS. We also don't know which songs exactly were submitted. (Because in my mind, JTR fills that Billies vibe). LWS as a whole was depressing AF and would have satisfied the existing fanbase but not likely to attract many new listeners. The label is interested in growing the artist's marketshare, and LWS as we know it would not have done that. The hardcores will buy it regardless, but there was nothing to attract sales from casual listeners who (in the 2000s) learned about new music through the radio. For an act of their calibre and their following at that time in the industry, a zero radio presence would have been a financial nail in the coffin. We might have gotten one more album after LWS before they went independent. (Of course, we now know that between '02 and '08 the band was in a much more fragile place than anyone could have guessed on the outside of that circle). ED didn't appeal to a lot of the long-time fans, but most of us were willing to be open to it in a way that wasn't the pinch your nose/grin and bear it that we suffered for SU.

dreamingtree_34 02-14-2021 02:47 PM

DMB could be a lot more relevant if Dave would have really focused on songwriting in the aughts / early 10's. Songwriting - writing great songs - not songs that work for the band / make everyone happy / are upbeat by mandate. I think another solo album really could have served him well. Some Devil is the last thing he made that I think is a work of art commiserate with his talent / prior works (and that is unencumbered with so much of the bullshit dynamics that the band has not been able to sustainably iron out in this millennium).

Look what Tom Petty was able to do between '89 and '94 - those are some of his biggest hits. I think if Dave was able to distance from the baggage of the band and just write - he probably could have done the same.

The other thing that I don't hear people talk about is that the band should have taken entire years off long before 2011. Every big act does this. Even a mid tier indie act that plays 180 shows in an album cycle today-- they would absolutely take a full year off touring to recover, live life a bit, write, and then go back to recording. And their new music is better for it. It's crazy to me to think that after the run the band had in the 90s -- there were these pressures to release a record within two years after BTCS --and this relentless tour schedule to maintain. If they would have taken some time off, yeah there is no epic 2000 tour - but there is probably a completed tLWS in 2001 and a far better future ahead. Everyday only really exists because the band allowed themselves to be backed into a release schedule, when they should have had all the leverage in the world to do whatever they wanted.

ToySoldier#34 02-14-2021 03:06 PM

It's pretty hard to be at your best on anything for 30 years straight, especially creatively

eggsrsweet 02-14-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17895782)
I know it's a super unpopular opinion, but Flohr wasn't wrong when he asked where the Tripping Billies was with LWS. We also don't know which songs exactly were submitted. (Because in my mind, JTR fills that Billies vibe). LWS as a whole was depressing AF and would have satisfied the existing fanbase but not likely to attract many new listeners. The label is interested in growing the artist's marketshare, and LWS as we know it would not have done that. The hardcores will buy it regardless, but there was nothing to attract sales from casual listeners who (in the 2000s) learned about new music through the radio. For an act of their calibre and their following at that time in the industry, a zero radio presence would have been a financial nail in the coffin. We might have gotten one more album after LWS before they went independent. (Of course, we now know that between '02 and '08 the band was in a much more fragile place than anyone could have guessed on the outside of that circle). ED didn't appeal to a lot of the long-time fans, but most of us were willing to be open to it in a way that wasn't the pinch your nose/grin and bear it that we suffered for SU.

Everyday killed DMB's potential as a truly timeless act. Here's the thing, I like Everyday; I like most of the songs on it. But it was a big "FUCK YOU" to much of the fanbase at the time.

If you really think that LWS would've killed their career, how the fuck do you explain something like Kid A then? That album has ZERO radio appeal and yet it launched Radiohead into another stratosphere; the album went #1 and remains a favorite by many to this day. LWS was also downloaded a million times btw. The band was playing football stadiums before Everyday came out; haven't seen them really play those since.

Either way, DMB has done really well for themselves since Everyday but I think they could've been even bigger had they actually worked on tLWS a little more rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Album seemed to be damn near close to finished. JTR could've been a single. Sweet Up and Down, with a little more work and polishing, could've been a single. Or they could've just pushed Dave to write a potential single if it was that big a deal to the label at the time.

Ultimately, I'd like to hear everyone involved, Dave, the band, Bruce, Coran, Lillywhite, etc., talk about tLWS more and all the drama around it. Feel like much of it is still a mystery to this day.

ToySoldier#34 02-14-2021 05:49 PM

I have a hard time agreeing with the idea that tLWS would've killed their career when they are known as a live band and most of the songs became fan favorites regardless of how tLWS went, that group of songs helped what they are most known as

eggsrsweet 02-14-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17895900)
I have a hard time agreeing with the idea that tLWS would've killed their career when they are known as a live band and most of the songs became fan favorites regardless of how tLWS went, that group of songs helped what they are most known as

Exactly! Agree 100%!

TypicalBilly14 02-14-2021 06:14 PM

Matt Cameron helping out Pearl Jam on drums over the years is kinda like Jeff Coffin helping out DMB on saxophone over the years.

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-14-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17895734)
A 3 hour + DMB show?

Although not the norm for DMB, there have been several in that 2:45-3:00 time frame.

Gorge N3 2016 (LT44) went for over 3 hours as did a bunch of the 2set shows, Alpine 2015 (LT36) for sure.

prdstmnky36 02-14-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17895929)
Although not the norm for DMB, there have been several in that 2:45-3:00 time frame.

Gorge N3 2016 (LT44) went for over 3 hours as did a bunch of the 2set shows, Alpine 2015 (LT36) for sure.

Sure, there are a hand full of times...out of the 3,000+ shows :rolleyes

Dodo36 02-15-2021 10:12 AM

Did I say LWS would have killed their career? I mean, a Twittered interpretation could go there, but that's not at all what I said. I said LWS was depressing AF as a body of work and would likely not have attracted new listeners (in the way that the big three did).

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the band's original contract was for 5 albums, LWS would have been the 4th. If Dave hadn't come out of his dour perspective, I'm almost certain that fragility we didn't know was there at the time would have led down a path that wouldn't have seen four additional studio releases without a drastic shake-up or label jump. I could easily be mixing DMB contract details with someone else's as it's only peripheral to my other work, but I thought they had a 5 record deal (maybe it was 3, with an additional 2 optioned? The link I used to have saved just gives a 4040 Error now and I can't find any existing supporting evidence for that now).

Remembering Dave's malaise from that time and the depression he was so obviously sinking into, had LWS been nurtured without a 'Where's the Tripping Billies?' that spiral was likely to continue. ED was the injection of positivity he needed, regardless of the result.

uctbcats21 02-15-2021 10:45 AM

the AOL still in your signature tag is great, welcome back

ToySoldier#34 02-15-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17896238)
Did I say LWS would have killed their career? I mean, a Twittered interpretation could go there, but that's not at all what I said. I said LWS was depressing AF as a body of work and would likely not have attracted new listeners (in the way that the big three did).

I was going off what Eggsrsweet was saying, however I still don't think that group of songs hurts them in any way shape or form if it's released formally, early 00's live versions of Bartender don't drive people away from them.

Dodo36 02-15-2021 01:32 PM

I don't think it'd drive anyone away, I just don't think it would have retained or grown the causal interest

twostep665 02-15-2021 01:39 PM

DMB should cover PJ's present tense.

ToySoldier#34 02-15-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twostep665 (Post 17896443)
DMB should cover PJ's present tense.

Jimi Thing -
Present Tense PJ -
Present Tense Radiohead -
Back in Black -
Sexy MF

grilldanmo 02-15-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17895782)
The DMB sound just became synonymous with the late '90s frat boy style and mentality, which is super-not in right now, hence the hatescreamers have never had the need to take a breath and regroup.

For MANY of us, the highlighted was NEVER "in".

We never noticed it in the early days because we were all about the music being played. That's where still are, but the online fan presence and the partier attitude at the shows has become more apparent to us in the last six years...it's our least favorite thing about the shows...more so than even, dare I say it, when they play Bayou.

Dodo36 02-15-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17896450)
For MANY of us, the highlighted was NEVER "in".

We never noticed it in the early days because we were all about the music being played. That's where still are, but the online fan presence and the partier attitude at the shows has become more apparent to us in the last six years...it's our least favorite thing about the shows...more so than even, dare I say it, when they play Bayou.

I agree completely. Among the fanbase that was not the norm, but it got pigeonholed that way by the likes of Rolling Stone and Vibe and Mtv and so those not part of the hardcore easily sideline them as such.

HonestDenver1 02-16-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmbchile (Post 17895568)
Hello everyone.

Let me start by saying this...

Welcome, Dmbchile.
You last visited: 04-26-2012 at 09:37 PM

It's been almost 10 years since the last time I visited these forums. I used to go through the forums daily for God knows how many years...never was much of a talker, but I enjoyed reading everyone's comments, that's for sure.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I've wanted to check your opinion on something. I like to read music bios, any artist, no questions asked.

I stumbled upon a book called "Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense", and I was surprised to read so many similarities between the PJ world and the DMB world.

Before I go any further, I need to say that I'm not a PJ fan, if anything I'm far from it.

That being said, you can't ignore the similarities. Both bands have one of the strongest live acts in today's music, with shows that run over the 3-hour mark, setlists that change nightly, and most importantly, a huge, fully committed fan base.

Ask any so-called DMB fan for the best version of Seek Up (the best, not their favorite) and if they instantly say "7.30.01", you got a true fan in front of you.

Both bands worked with the same producer in the first few albums. They went some other way after some years, just to come back to that same producer with not similar results.

But the part that really got me about the book, and the reason I'm writing here, is that the author says that any band has 4, maybe 5 great albums in them. More than 5 is simply not possible.

And it hurts me to say it but I agree with him. I think the band's pinnacle was BTCS, and The Lillywhite Sessions would've been a really good record but not close to BTCS, and after that, it seems that every record is worst than the one before.

You may agree or disagree with me on this, but I would really like to know, why do you guys think this happens? Is it possible for a band so big, so successful, to go back to making something like BTCS? Is it possible to write lyrics as meaninful as "Now progress takes away What forever took to find" or any part of The Dreaming Tree for that matter?

Again, this is not an attack. I love DMB and always will, they are a huge part of my life as I'm sure are of yours, but would really like to hear your input on this. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe someone here will show me that...

Thanks.

I see what you're saying, and DMB never really had the misfortune of totally falling into obscurity like say Neil Young in the 80's... Neil went off the deep end after making a dozen plus great albums solo and with bands... I'm not saying he had no fans, but was not looked at as a relevant artist due to crazy electronic albums like Trans...

Neil made a return to form though with Harvest Moon and caught the ride that the 90's brought back in terms of raw acoustic music... That might be his last great album, but he certainly has made good quality relevant music since then again...

I think DMB has potential for one more amazing album if they let themselves. If Dave can look past the more surface level lyrics that so many songs have, and get deep again.. A Song like Singing From the Windows gives me hope that he certainly has that ability to... Though I don't think that particular song is a BAND song, it is a great song..

Samurai Cop, Virginia in the Rain, Again and Again, DYR, Black and Bluebird all are great songs on a subpar album... It's just not cohesive at all... Production is a bit lacking in spots due to it being rushed out again... But those songs all are well crafted. You can tell time was spent on them as opposed to a song like Come Tomorrow which is pretty, but ultimately means nothing and should be a pop song for a 17 year old...

I really thought when Samurai Cop came out it was going to be a renaissance of DMB... I know not everyone likes it, but it had a lot of passion and energy and freshness to it... Unfortunately it should have just been a single as it doesn't fit the album it was put on...

We'll never get the old DMB sound again. That is impossible. But I think this 4.0 band is as strong of a cohesive musical force as a 30 year old band can be... It's just a matter of them not worrying about writing "A hit song".. Dave gets so in his head about themes that are universal... Which his themes have been.. But they had so much more depth than You & Me, Everyday, Mercy... etc... Like a simple song doesn't have to disrespect the audience's intelligence...

I will hold out hope that one more 16 song double album awaits us... possibly half songs that we already know, and the other half new... But bring back Lillywhite, Cavallo, John D Earth, Bela Fleck... Musicians and producers that bring the best out of this band...

If you take DMB's best songs since 2009 you'd have one really great album.

Grux
Shake Me
Why I Am
Samurai Cop
Lying in the Hands of God
Again and Again
Can't Stop
Virginia Naked in the Rain
Seven
Black and Blue Bird
----------------------
Little Red Bird
Broken Things
Belly Belly Nice
Do You Remember
Rooftop
Beach Ball
Snow Outside
Drunken Soldier
Timebomb
Baby Blue
Grux reprise

BF101519 02-16-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 (Post 17897217)
I see what you're saying, and DMB never really had the misfortune of totally falling into obscurity like say Neil Young in the 80's... Neil went off the deep end after making a dozen plus great albums solo and with bands... I'm not saying he had no fans, but was not looked at as a relevant artist due to crazy electronic albums like Trans...

Neil made a return to form though with Harvest Moon and caught the ride that the 90's brought back in terms of raw acoustic music... That might be his last great album, but he certainly has made good quality relevant music since then again...

I think DMB has potential for one more amazing album if they let themselves. If Dave can look past the more surface level lyrics that so many songs have, and get deep again.. A Song like Singing From the Windows gives me hope that he certainly has that ability to... Though I don't think that particular song is a BAND song, it is a great song..

Samurai Cop, Virginia in the Rain, Again and Again, DYR, Black and Bluebird all are great songs on a subpar album... It's just not cohesive at all... Production is a bit lacking in spots due to it being rushed out again... But those songs all are well crafted. You can tell time was spent on them as opposed to a song like Come Tomorrow which is pretty, but ultimately means nothing and should be a pop song for a 17 year old...

I really thought when Samurai Cop came out it was going to be a renaissance of DMB... I know not everyone likes it, but it had a lot of passion and energy and freshness to it... Unfortunately it should have just been a single as it doesn't fit the album it was put on...

We'll never get the old DMB sound again. That is impossible. But I think this 4.0 band is as strong of a cohesive musical force as a 30 year old band can be... It's just a matter of them not worrying about writing "A hit song".. Dave gets so in his head about themes that are universal... Which his themes have been.. But they had so much more depth than You & Me, Everyday, Mercy... etc... Like a simple song doesn't have to disrespect the audience's intelligence...

I will hold out hope that one more 16 song double album awaits us... possibly half songs that we already know, and the other half new... But bring back Lillywhite, Cavallo, John D Earth, Bela Fleck... Musicians and producers that bring the best out of this band...

If you take DMB's best songs since 2009 you'd have one really great album.

Grux
Shake Me
Why I Am
Samurai Cop
Lying in the Hands of God
Again and Again
Can't Stop
Seven
Black and Blue Bird
----------------------
Little Red Bird
Broken Things
Belly Belly Nice
Do You Remember
Rooftop
Beach Ball
Snow Outside
Drunken Soldier
Timebomb
Baby Blue
Grux reprise

I agree with your overall point.

I just want to critique your list of DMB's best songs since '09 (it's fun to disagree on these subjective things!)....

Get Baby Blue the Hell outta there! I can't stand that tune. Like I literally cringe when I hear it.

I have some others I would change out, but really just wanted to make that point about Baby Blue.

Good Day.

ToySoldier#34 02-16-2021 01:08 PM

I like Baby Blue, there's a bunch of others in that list I don't like though

HonestDenver1 02-16-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BF101519 (Post 17897233)
I agree with your overall point.

I just want to critique your list of DMB's best songs since '09 (it's fun to disagree on these subjective things!)....

Get Baby Blue the Hell outta there! I can't stand that tune. Like I literally cringe when I hear it.

I have some others I would change out, but really just wanted to make that point about Baby Blue.

Good Day.

To each their own! That's why we're on a fan board to discuss these things. I started trying to make an albums worth and realized I really like a lot more than 12-13 songs.. which is a good thing! I get I said best, so maybe I could have cut it down quite a bit... But I like this list.
I could have put Here on Out or Belly Belly Full in there too...

HonestDenver1 02-16-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17897234)
I like Baby Blue, there's a bunch of others in that list I don't like though

I get why anyone wouldn't like it, especially after Sister. But I probably like it for the same reasons you don't...

HonestDenver1 02-16-2021 02:05 PM

Here's the single LP version, not the double disc: If this was the only studio album we had in the last 10 years.. I think it would be alright.

Grux
Broken Things
Shake Me Like A Monkey
Lying in The Hands of God
Why I Am
Beach Ball
Samurai Cop
Again and Again
Black and Blue Birds
Rooftop
Snow Outside