Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=348306)

Hilly 05-31-2019 10:37 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17461017)
PJ does 2-3 a day that spans the bands career. But I don't think they ever live streamed a show

They don't.

Because PJ doesn't care about the fans. Curti$$$ would never allow for that.

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBBeav (Post 17460999)
I do not understand how people have an issue with this channel. People are complaining they are 'playing to death' an exclusive concert that has only been available for a week.

Sirius has like a 100 channels. Maybe only listen to the DMB channel for five hours a week?

Also, can anyone remind me if the Grateful Dead Channel has ever had live concerts every week for a consistent period? Same with PJ channel? (seriously, I don't know the answer to this). The only one I know that does live concerts regularly is Margaritaville. I would rather take the live Friday concert series and have a little less variety for the rest of the time than a full rotation of every official release.

The GD channel plays unique full sets literally every night.

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461062)
They don't.

Fun straw man considering how few shows PJ plays in a given summer.

Hilly 05-31-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 17461066)
Fun straw man considering how few shows PJ plays in a given summer.

It's not fair to compare to bands from the 90s with their own channels on Sirius that have live performances that could be live streams.

Thomasjd2 05-31-2019 10:46 AM

Guys. GUYS. Hilly says the station is great and we all like the band too much. Consider the conversation settled. Lock the thread up. Nothing more to see here.

Bmwm3oz 05-31-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461061)
There's a few key problems, that could probably be solved by hiring a REAL fan.

1) There's canned intros that play before song titles. Whether it's a live version, studio version, or whatever, it plays before the song titles. The canned intros may refer to a version that's not the specific one that's played, because the station is playing a variety of versions.

2) There's not a person sitting at a record player picking the needle up after one song and dropping it for the next. It's all a program. No one here understands that.

3) Everyone feels THEY are the superfan and it should be THEM who gets to control this station and how the corporation didn't put THEM in charge boggles the mind.

Jesus.. your comments :lol. Who here actually thinks this process is manual? Likely not a single soul.

3) Everyone? You make a ton of assumptions.

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomasjd2 (Post 17461073)
Guys. GUYS. Hilly says the station is great and we all like the band too much. Consider the conversation settled. Lock the thread up. Nothing more to see here.

:lol :thumbsup

No criticisms of anything remotely dmb related on hilly's watch. They do everything perfect all the time!

richvisser23 05-31-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461061)
3) Everyone feels THEY are the superfan and it should be THEM who gets to control this station and how the corporation didn't put THEM in charge boggles the mind.

Sirius is a subscription service. We pay money for a service. When that service has bad standards and low quality, people are going to be upset. To wonder why Sirius does not have a live DJ for a station is legitimate. Hilly has the tendencies of an anti-vaccination lobbyist.

Hilly 05-31-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461077)
To wonder why Sirius does not have a live DJ for a station is legitimate. .

I for one am outraged that there's not someone there at all times picking just the right live version for the mood.

richvisser23 05-31-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461089)
I for one am outraged that there's not someone there at all times picking just the right live version for the mood.

Yeah its super rare to have a live DJ, like most other Sirius channels.

Hilly 05-31-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461091)
Yeah its super rare to have a live DJ, like most other Sirius channels.

I'm with you. It's pathetic and flat out insulting to the fans.

You know whats great on most other Sirius channels? Someone chiming in. Not at all canned, prerecorded, forced or annoying.

The fact that they don't have a 4-5 superfans working in shifts to help navigate the station and set the tone and flow is wildly inappropriate.

Bmwm3oz 05-31-2019 11:07 AM

Let's just stop feeding the troll. Not worth it.

richvisser23 05-31-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461101)
I'm with you. It's pathetic and flat out insulting to the fans.

You know whats great on most other Sirius channels? Someone chiming in. Not at all canned, prerecorded, forced or annoying.

The fact that they don't have a 4-5 superfans working in shifts to help navigate the station and set the tone and flow is wildly inappropriate.

Hilly when we find the the cure for cancer, I know you'll be there...doing the right thing...lobbying against it.

Hilly 05-31-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461110)
Hilly when we find the the cure for cancer, I know you'll be there...doing the right thing...lobbying against it.

Nice. The vaccine zinger was such a grand slam, this was the best way to follow it up.

Got anymore disease-based lobbying quips?

richvisser23 05-31-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461115)
Nice. The vaccine zinger was such a grand slam, this was the best way to follow it up.

Got anymore disease-based lobbying quips?

One more... if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum

Hilly 05-31-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461119)
One more... if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum

Glad you saved this one for last. There's no topping it.

richvisser23 05-31-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461147)
Glad you saved this one for last. There's no topping it.

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7116651008/hB465DF22/

DMBstandUP1984 05-31-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461062)
They don't.

I mean the PJ channel has segments where they let fans DJ and pick shows/songs to play. but sure.

YouNeverKnow25 05-31-2019 11:37 AM

if there were truly a computer program picking the songs, wouldn't it be more random than it is, not less?

seems like there had to have been some human involvement limiting the selections

Hilly 05-31-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17461162)
I mean the PJ channel has segments where they let fans DJ and pick shows/songs to play. but sure.

No live $tream$ though. They won't do it!

richvisser23 05-31-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461171)
No live $tream$ though. They won't do it!

Clever use of the "$" symbol. I see what you did there. #legend

Hilly 05-31-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461178)
Clever use of the "$" symbol. I see what you did there. #legend

It's no " if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum", but I do what I can.

MOWJO8185 05-31-2019 12:08 PM

I'm not a radio guy in general, so maybe the appeal is lost on me, but I really don't understand why people who own everything this band has ever released are complaining about the rotation of that material on a radio station. Wouldn't it be easier to shuffle your DMB library on Itunes or something?

And it seems the biggest complaint is that they are playing too often the one exclusive show that isn't a part of your personal collection?

richvisser23 05-31-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461216)
It's no " if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum", but I do what I can.

I'm not one for arguing.

Hilly 05-31-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17461226)
And it seems the biggest complaint is that they are playing too often the one exclusive show that isn't a part of your personal collection?

YES! It's unacceptable how much they're playing the one thing you can't hear anywhere else! I've been listening at work, in the car, and at home, and frankly, it's quite enough exclusive DMB if you ask me!

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17461226)
I'm not a radio guy in general, so maybe the appeal is lost on me, but I really don't understand why people who own everything this band has ever released are complaining about the rotation of that material on a radio station. Wouldn't it be easier to shuffle your DMB library on Itunes or something?

With all the streaming access I dont keep my personal stuff on me at all times. I like having Sirius in the car I can click on without thinking and get a decent amount of variety for the bands I like without thinking about it or having to make a playlist/choose a specific and continually search back for the next song. Thats why Im willing to pay for it, the convenience and quality.

Gravedigger789 05-31-2019 12:22 PM

Holy shit, Hilly. Wait till WH hears about all this commotion coming from you. The schmedium pay may be reduced to no pay.

richvisser23 05-31-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilly (Post 17461244)
yes! It's unacceptable how much they're playing the one thing you can't hear anywhere else! I've been listening at work, in the car, and at home, and frankly, it's quite enough exclusive dmb if you ask me!

stop yelling!

MOWJO8185 05-31-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 17461247)
With all the streaming access I dont keep my personal stuff on me at all times. I like having Sirius in the car I can click on without thinking and get a decent amount of variety for the bands I like without thinking about it or having to make a playlist/choose a specific and continually update it. Thats why Im willing to pay for it, the convenience and quality.

:thumbsup Got it, that's fair. I'm an album guy at heart and always pick the specific album/show I want to listen to, so I guess the appeal is just lost on me.

I would assume as more Fridays go by the more exclusive content they'd roll in.

Bmwm3oz 05-31-2019 12:26 PM

This can be summed as

- Some people are okay with anything and everything. (dmb fam with Euro '19 setlists for example)

- Some people think there is room for improvement with anything and everything.

I'd much rather be in the category of the latter. Hilly is in the first category. Move on.. this back & forth is making anyone reading it dumber.