Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 12-17-2013 05:13 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

In all seriousness (we can't always talk about Evander Kane's shirtless postgame interviews), I've been absent from this thread for a little while, and we from we were talking about it in the Winter Olympics thread, but I wanted to post this here. I wanted to really wait until we got a good way in to the season to do these, but I love doing this so here it is now. Here is my Canadian roster projections (assuming Stamkos is good to go...since he's already skating "without pain"):

Skamkos - Crosby A- Eric Staal
Sharp - Toews C- Rick Nash
John Tavares - Patrice Bergeron - Corey Perry
Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Logan Couture
Martin St. Louis A- Claude Giroux

Duncan Keith A - Shea Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Brent Seabrook - Drew Doughty
Dion Phaneuf - PK Subban (not that I would want him, but he'll make it)

Luongo
Price
Holtby?

The more I look at that group of forwards, the more and more ridiculous it is. I couldn't find a spot for Giroux, and you have a third line of Tavares - Bergeron - Perry...WHAT. I don't know if Stamkos will be ready or not, if he isn't, that really opens the door for guys like Duchene, Jeff Carter, Neal and Kunitz (in that order, in my opinion). I don't know what else there is to say about these guys that you don't already know. I'll talk about my boy Jamie Benn who is slipping under the radar right now, but as Matty and I have pointed out multiple times in this and other NHL threads, he's a hockey player's hockey player. Dude has attitude, grit, lots of skill, size, speed...he's everything you want. Him and Sharpie are two incredible versatile options that can really just be a plug and play type players that helps complete rosters.

As far as defenseman, Duncan Keith is playing the best hockey of his career. Better than his Norris season, and is just getting better as the season goes on. Him and Weber as the top pair is fucking scary for the rest of the Olympics. That's probably the best top pair I can even think of in the entire world. Pietrangelo is a legit top pair defenseman on any other squad, so fittin him on the second pair to eat up minutes behind Keith and Weber is freightening. His ability to move the puck and make things happen is an absolute weapon for Canada. Seabrook has really, really been coming on as of late, and I think his ability to throw the body will be important, but ultimately, his most valuable asset is his ability to complete the stretch pass. On that big ice, Seabs is a great choice. He's also probably playing the best hockey of his career.

This is Luongo's crease. This is a really solid group of goaltenders, but is clearly the weakest point of the Canadian roster. That's not to say it's bad, the rest of the roster is just THAT good. Everyone talks about the "depth" between the pipes of the red, white, and blue...but you really only need one goaltender. So depth goes out the window if Bobby Lou can get hot. He was more than good enough in 2010, and Price is a MORE than capable backup. The third tender, basically a formality, will maybe be Holtby? I don't know. The injury to Crawford throws a wrench in the whole thing, as I thought he had the third slot locked up with his playoff performance last year. I thought all he needed was a solid 2013 campaign, and he'd make it, but who knows now. Honestly, who cares? It's Lou and Price and then some other guy.

I will try a write-up on USA in the next couple of days.

bonzo48280 12-17-2013 05:41 PM

KANER is otherworldly. He had a 12-game point streak, took a game off, and is now on a 10-game point streak. And his goal tonight.....AROOOOOO

bonzo48280 12-17-2013 05:45 PM

Seabrook is in another universe too; a funnel cake universe.

bradshaw06 12-17-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989152)
:lol you're an idiot

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989154)
i hope the other 29 teams were looking at the pens blue line depth last night, trade bait

also, robert bortuzzo says "hello, NHL"

Bort should not be benched when all are healthy. He fits his role so well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14989156)
:lol it is interesting that the only time this thread turns into every tailgate thread is when the beard avatars show up.

:thumbsup:thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14989193)
Every time I watch him play it hurts. Flyers could have drafted him, and instead picked Laughton.

Crazy thing is the pens passed on him with their first pick too.

bradshaw06 12-17-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14989559)
Fonzz41 HOFD (Hard-On For Defensemen) Report #235

Subject: Olli Maatta

With him only being 19 years old, it's really hard to give a clear-cut idea of just what kind of player Maatta will mature to be. As of right now, I see him in much the same boat as Erik Johnson back when he was drafted: similar physically as well as in skill set, but without as much hype or expectations. Over the next 3-4 seasons we'll get a clearer picture, but he'll most likely go one of three ways: 1) Round out into a steady shut-down defenseman like Johnson has finally done; 2) Focus on his offensive game and allow that to flourish, perhaps at the expense of defense; or 3) become one of the premier two-way defensemen in the game. Frankly, with his frame and skills, the sky is the limit for him.

What does he do well?
The first thing you notice is his offensive instincts. Many defensemen either don't know when exactly to jump up into the play, and others do but are tentative to do it for fear of getting caught out of position. Not Maatta. He follows his instincts and knows when exactly to jump in; and when he does, he goes balls to the wall, 100% committed. This throws off opposing defensemen, who usually don't anticipate that kind of spirited attack from a point man. He's a tremendous skater who can go 0-60 in about a stride and a half, and that combined with his size means defenders have to give him room when he attacks. This makes him very valuable as a trailer who can pick up juicy rebounds off shots from the forwards. His quick skating means he rarely gets caught out of position, as he's able to make it back up to the point before the opposing team manages to break out.

He's less noticeable in his own end, which is exactly how it should be. He plays a quiet, smart game where he relies on good positioning to get the job done. It's a distinctly European trait for defensemen - being in the right position to take away space from forwards, get in passing lanes, and always be ready for a breakout pass. Maatta does all of those very well and is showing signs of Lidstrom-esque wisdom. I desperately hope his offensive instincts don't outweigh his defensive qualities as his career develops, because he's very smart in his own end. He also moves well through the neutral zone and is adept at picking up his guys at the blue line before. His size and smooth skating makes him difficult to maneuver around.

What can he work on?
As is the case with many young defensemen, he's a bit tentative physically. Yes, he plays a game of smarts, but he's too talented and well-built to not let his physicality develop. At 6'2, 206 lbs, he's got room to bulk up without sacrificing too much of his speed, and being able to punish and intimidate opponents in his own zone will add another element to his game where mentally, forwards know that not only could he pick their pocket at any time, but also put them through the glass if they aren't paying attention. Believe it or not, that kind of stuff absolutely goes through a forward's mind and affects their decision-making. If Maatta can round out his physical game, he may well become one of the greats in the game over the next 10 years.

He also needs to work a bit on his mobility. He's incredible fast as a north-south power skater, but isn't particularly agile. This may be - more than anything - a result of his large frame, but I think it's something that can be improved and WILL be improved as he adjusts to NHL speed.

This is also a case of being young, but he also just needs to work on his patience in his own end. I saw a couple times where he tried to rush a play and get caught out of position. Once he's out of position, he has a difficult time recovering as he's trying to overcompensate and do something big to make up for his gaffe. Calming down a bit (which I believe will come with time) will benefit him greatly. And to his credit, he's already a lot calmer than other teenage NHL defensemen.

Overall, the sky is the limit for Maatta. With his size, instincts, and natural skill set, he has everything he needs to become one of the top rear-guards in the game.

:thumbsup Excellent analysis. His instincts are what got me to really notice him. He just plays so smart

~Crashintome89~ 12-17-2013 06:17 PM

The Capitals are the worst.

Do they even have fans?

fonzz41 12-17-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14990912)
:thumbsup Excellent analysis. His instincts are what got me to really notice him. He just plays so smart

Good eye, my friend :thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14990932)
The Capitals are the worst.

Do they even have fans?

They have at least one... If you can call him that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14990802)
In all seriousness (we can't always talk about Evander Kane's shirtless postgame interviews), I've been absent from this thread for a little while, and we from we were talking about it in the Winter Olympics thread, but I wanted to post this here. I wanted to really wait until we got a good way in to the season to do these, but I love doing this so here it is now. Here is my Canadian roster projections (assuming Stamkos is good to go...since he's already skating "without pain"):

Luongo
Price
Holtby?

The more I look at that group of forwards, the more and more ridiculous it is. I couldn't find a spot for Giroux, and you have a third line of Tavares - Bergeron - Perry...WHAT. I don't know if Stamkos will be ready or not, if he isn't, that really opens the door for guys like Duchene, Jeff Carter, Neal and Kunitz (in that order, in my opinion). I don't know what else there is to say about these guys that you don't already know. I'll talk about my boy Jamie Benn who is slipping under the radar right now, but as Matty and I have pointed out multiple times in this and other NHL threads, he's a hockey player's hockey player. Dude has attitude, grit, lots of skill, size, speed...he's everything you want. Him and Sharpie are two incredible versatile options that can really just be a plug and play type players that helps complete rosters.

As far as defenseman, Duncan Keith is playing the best hockey of his career. Better than his Norris season, and is just getting better as the season goes on. Him and Weber as the top pair is fucking scary for the rest of the Olympics. That's probably the best top pair I can even think of in the entire world. Pietrangelo is a legit top pair defenseman on any other squad, so fittin him on the second pair to eat up minutes behind Keith and Weber is freightening. His ability to move the puck and make things happen is an absolute weapon for Canada. Seabrook has really, really been coming on as of late, and I think his ability to throw the body will be important, but ultimately, his most valuable asset is his ability to complete the stretch pass. On that big ice, Seabs is a great choice. He's also probably playing the best hockey of his career.

This is Luongo's crease. This is a really solid group of goaltenders, but is clearly the weakest point of the Canadian roster. That's not to say it's bad, the rest of the roster is just THAT good. Everyone talks about the "depth" between the pipes of the red, white, and blue...but you really only need one goaltender. So depth goes out the window if Bobby Lou can get hot. He was more than good enough in 2010, and Price is a MORE than capable backup. The third tender, basically a formality, will maybe be Holtby? I don't know. The injury to Crawford throws a wrench in the whole thing, as I thought he had the third slot locked up with his playoff performance last year. I thought all he needed was a solid 2013 campaign, and he'd make it, but who knows now. Honestly, who cares? It's Lou and Price and then some other guy.

I will try a write-up on USA in the next couple of days.

Can't wait to see it :thumbsup. I've brought mine up about a million times already but will do once more as well. My canada team won't look too different from yours (no surprise).

bradshaw06 12-17-2013 07:34 PM

Looks like Tom Wilson will be getting a call from Shanny.

UCFish 12-17-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14990874)
KANER is otherworldly. He had a 12-game point streak, took a game off, and is now on a 10-game point streak. And his goal tonight.....AROOOOOO

:thumbsup

Roose13 12-17-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14991065)
Looks like Tom Wilson will be getting a call from Shanny.

As he should. Fuck him!

bradshaw06 12-17-2013 09:00 PM

Oates on Wilson’s hit: “He’s a big strong guy, he hit him hard, yeah. To me it’s a clean hit. I don’t even think it’s a penalty. At all.”

~Crashintome89~ 12-17-2013 09:32 PM

Adam Oates looks like a grumpy Ray Loitta.

lockman21 12-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14991129)
Oates on Wilson’s hit: “He’s a big strong guy, he hit him hard, yeah. To me it’s a clean hit. I don’t even think it’s a penalty. At all.”

Just my .02:

I don't think this hit is THAT bad. I've watched it a couple times here:

http://youtu.be/89Ldu2k0oKU

Was it reckless? Yes. Was it charging? Yes. Was it anything more than a 2 game suspension? No.

Schenn certainly doesn't help himself by turning into the boards. Speaking as someone who suffered a concussion from almost an identical hit, it's a dumb fucking play by Schenn. You need to be stronger with that fucking puck in that area. You can see it best at the view that starts at 1:09 on that video. Take that puck strong behind the net, make a full strong pivot turn with the puck on your backhand, or pass the puck behind the net.

Streit really doesn't help him much in just getting in the way and not giving Schenn another option to possibly pass to. Streit takes a stride towards Schenn for some reason right as Wilson is coming in at him. Maybe it wouldn't have helped, but Streit needs to be helping give Schenn options on the break out there. I have no idea why he took that stride in towards the corner when Grossman and Schenn were already down there.

Anyway. It was an unfortunate injury to Schenn. I like the kid. But like I said, as someone that had almost that exact injury...you gotta play that puck fuckin' better.

It's clearly a penalty, and probably a suspension, but it wasn't THAT extreme. I understand what he's trying to do there. He should have put on the brakes a little bit and maybe not gone for the major hit in that instance, but had Schenn not turned, we might be singing a different tune.

Here's a hit I remember where the guy CLEARLY was seeking vengeance, and had Seabs lined up from 50 feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjBGY_MFDc

I wish that video had the view I remember, but Wis was clearly lining up #7 from the blue line. He got 8 games. I think this is in the same category as that, but not as deliberate, no history, and there wasn't a play before (to my knowledge) that Wilson was trying to get retribution for. 2 games is my guess.

But with Shanny, who knows?

bonzo48280 12-17-2013 09:37 PM

Holy hell. That's one of the more reckless hits I've seen in a while. What an idiot.

lockman21 12-17-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14991053)
Can't wait to see it :thumbsup. I've brought mine up about a million times already but will do once more as well. My canada team won't look too different from yours (no surprise).

I knew I could count on you for some discussion with that! :lol:thumbsup

I'll try and do USA tomorrow. One thing I did notice when taking a look at the US line up:

1) The US really lacks a true #1 center. Who is it? Kesler? Backes? Pavelski? While Canada seems to have true #1 centers just pouring out their ass, the US doesn't really have one true one at all. I mean, Toews, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Giroux...each one of those guys would be a clear cut #1 center if they were on the US squad. That's a lot of #1 centers.

2) I really, really wish Pietrangelo was an American. Fuckin' Ontario. I mean, he's from just outside Toronto...that's close enough, right? We can just have him.

lockman21 12-17-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14991157)
Holy hell. That's one of the more reckless hits I've seen in a while. What an idiot.

It's really not.

dmbetc 12-17-2013 09:59 PM

Martin Jones. 6-0-0 with 3 shut outs.

swordo84 12-18-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14990802)

Luongo
Price
Holtby?

Yeah, we're fucking stacked. I think you're pretty bang on here. Crosby will likely get the "C" though. Not sure about Holtby in the 3rd spot, leaning more towards MAF there (maybe Ward or Scrivens as a long shot) Would be shocked (and disappointed) to see Dion make the team, but injuries have made this a scary possibility. The only 'fault' I see in your forwards is Staal..just not having a great season, but wouldn't surprise me to see him selected when it's all said and done.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-18-2013 05:51 AM

It's def a charging penalty but he didn't hit him from behind and he didn't hit him in the head. Honestly people need to stop judging hits by the result. Usually when someone gets hurt it's because they went through the neutral zone with the puck and their head down or they turn into the boards like Schenn did. I agree that hits like this should be out of the game but some of the responsibility falls on the guy getting hit. These are all hockey safety rules they teach you from the moment you put skates on, even before you start checking.

I bet he gets 5 games though, there will be an "intent to injure" argument.

kev87lads 12-18-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14991163)
It's really not.

I like that you keep ignoring my Hartnell comments. It makes me chuckle. And that's alright with me.

And as a Flyers fan, I agree with your assessment on the Schenn/Wilson play. Reckless? A bit. Charging? Fo' sho. Schenn didn't help himself at all on the play. (And as usual we have to realize that these things happen in split seconds. ) If Schenn turns a different way or doesn't get turned around at all, we're talking about a clean monster hit as Schenn goes flying back first into the boards and maybe just the charging penalty.

But F. Wilson anyway.

~Crashintome89~ 12-18-2013 07:15 AM

The Wilson hit is more of a charge than a board. Schenn has to protect himself a bit more, but there is no reason for Wilson to take five strides into Schenn.

swordo84 12-18-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14991452)
The Wilson hit is more of a charge than a board. Schenn has to protect himself a bit more, but there is no reason for Wilson to take five strides into Schenn.

This is pretty much my thoughts on things.

fonzz41 12-18-2013 07:24 AM

Just had a chance to watch the Wilson hit. If I'm the referee, the game call is 5 minute major for Charging and a Game Misconduct. As a ref, I try to watch it full speed first and judge what call I would make before seeing it slowed down. Charging and Boarding are often interchangeable penalties at this point, so the type of penalty doesn't matter so much as the severity.

Yes, Schenn needs to be a bit more decisive with the puck, but the primary onus is still on Wilson to make clean contact. Wilson had already zeroed in on Schenn from a long ways away and knew he was going to destroy him before Schenn turned into the boards. Schenn turning into the boards at the last second made it worse for himself. Regardless, if I'm the official Wilson is out of the game at that point, and the Flyers have a 5 minute PP.

I didn't even look at what the call was on Wilson...

EDIT: Just looked at the box score, and looks like the ref agreed with me on the call :lol

fonzz41 12-18-2013 08:24 AM

Team Canada projection (admittedly very similar to Chris's, but we think alike anyways). I tried to look up the roster I projected last year, but can't find it in last year's thread and I'm too lazy to put too much work into finding it. I don't think this roster has changed too much from the one I made last year.

14 forwards:
Sharp - Crosby - Nash
Benn - Toews - Duchene --
Bergeron - Getzlaf - Perry
Tavares - Giroux - St. Louis
Couture - Kunitz

Probably my favorite line is the second. What a combo of size, skill, and defensive awareness, eh? I stuck Duchene on the right side because I get wood just thinking about Toews feeding Dutch one-timers on his off wing as Benn crashes the net. Sharp on the first line raises eyebrows, but he's used to playing with stars and I think will complement Sid well.

Kunitz is my unpopular choice taking Staal's spot. Not too much of a knock on Staal, and NOT just because he's having a down year. It's more for the fact that Canada is loaded with skilled centers and I think Kunitz adds a nice balanced element on the wing that will also provide some additional sand paper to the roster. Perry, Benn, and even Bergeron (to an extent) play a gritty game, but other than that there's not a lot of bad-assnes, which will be needed in particular against USA. Kunitz can play that type of game, while still contributing offensively. Also, let's not undervalue the extant chemistry he already has with Sid. He could easily slot in on the top line if chemistry becomes an issue.

8 defensemen (this is the fun part for me :)):
Keith - Weber
Seabrook - Doughty
Vlasic - Phaneuf

I haven't ever been a fan of Bouwmeester until this year. He's playing very well with Pietrangelo, which is the only reason he's on the second pairing. Defensive pairing chemistry is even more important than forward chemistry, and if there's already some extant stuff, it should be considered. If Keith/Weber has issues (I don't think they will though), I wouldn't be opposed to pairing Keith/Seabrook for that very reason.

My final choice on this one was Phaneuf. I refuse to put Subban on my roster by principle. I simply refuse. Biggest reason for going with Phaneuf at this point was just getting another lefty on the roster. Simple as that.

3 goalies
Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

I think Luongo is the guy for now, with Price backing up. The final slot is a toss-up. Went with Smith for the reason Herb Brooks went with Jim Craig:
Craig Patrick: " You know people I speak to say that Craig's game has been off since his mom died."
Brooks: "They ever see him when his game's on?"
(Obviously stakes aren't as high when you're talking 3rd string goalie, but same principle)

swordo84 12-18-2013 08:30 AM

Regarding the 3rd goalie at the Olympics. Everyone knows you're not even going to dress for a (meaningful) game (only if the team shits the bed and its a "why not" situation, or injury of course). As such, I like the idea of bringing a younger guy along to get the experience of being at and preparing for an Olympic Tourney/World Championship/World Cup etc. Prepare for the future, ya know?

fonzz41 12-18-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14991589)
Regarding the 3rd goalie at the Olympics. Everyone knows you're not even going to dress for a (meaningful) game (only if the team shits the bed and its a "why not" situation, or injury of course). As such, I like the idea of bringing a younger guy along to get the experience of being at and preparing for an Olympic Tourney/World Championship/World Cup etc. Prepare for the future, ya know?

Certainly not a bad idea and something I thought about. I was going with Crawford, but then decided on Smith - even if he's older. Chris's choice of Holtby is not a bad choice either, but no guarantee he would even be Canada's "goalie of the future".

Your thoughts on who it should be?

(Also, lulz that we're discussing Canada's 3rd string goalie situation :lol - but hey, hockey talk is hockey talk!)

swordo84 12-18-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14991601)
Certainly not a bad idea and something I thought about. I was going with Crawford, but then decided on Smith - even if he's older. Chris's choice of Holtby is not a bad choice either, but no guarantee he would even be Canada's "goalie of the future".

Your thoughts on who it should be?

(Also, lulz that we're discussing Canada's 3rd string goalie situation :lol - but hey, hockey talk is hockey talk!)

I had mentioned MAF, or Ward in a previous post, but they go against my theory. To fall in line with it, I'd like to see them bring along Bernier or, to a lesser extent Scrivens.

I think Crawford would have been a lock for #3 had he not been injured.

fonzz41 12-18-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14991650)
I had mentioned MAF, or Ward in a previous post, but they go against my theory. To fall in line with it, I'd like to see them bring along Bernier or, to a lesser extent Scrivens.

I think Crawford would have been a lock for #3 had he not been injured.

Good call on Bernier

swordo84 12-18-2013 09:51 AM

Radio guys up here (Hockey Central @ Noon) brought up a vaild thought... what country doesn't have questions in goal?

Canada - has been discussed above, no clear #1 and every choice has reason for pause.
USA - With Quick hurt does this fall back to Miller (who's been less than stellar), or Schneider?
Russia - Bob is hurt, Bryz is a huge wild card.
Sweden - Lundquvist hasn't been up to his best, will he turn it around in time for the games? Who do they go to next?

fonzz41 12-18-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14991816)
Radio guys up here (Hockey Central @ Noon) brought up a vaild thought... what country doesn't have questions in goal?

Canada - has been discussed above, no clear #1 and every choice has reason for pause.
USA - With Quick hurt does this fall back to Miller (who's been less than stellar), or Schneider?
Russia - Bob is hurt, Bryz is a huge wild card.
Sweden - Lundquvist hasn't been up to his best, will he turn it around in time for the games? Who do they go to next?

Good point. USA's goaltending was supposed to be its strongest point before this season. Now there are some big questions, both because of injuries and shaky play. With Quick hurt (and not matching last season's play before getting hurt), I think the job is Miller's to lose. He's played reasonably well for a horrible team and has the experience.

Russia's front runner has to be Varlamov right now... as long as he can stay out of jail.

EDIT: Yeah, big drop off for Sweden... Lehner or Enroth methinks. Thankfully they're pretty stacked everywhere else.