Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 01:45 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Neal wasnt as premeditated as Thorntons. Neals happened in the span of about 3 seconds when Marchand fell. Thornton tried to fight Orpik earlier, then 15 minutes later, after a whistle skated nearly the length of the ice and attacked orpik when play had been stopped.

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14987725)
Sure didn't look good. Going that fast and then all of a sudden your feet stop your momentum like that against the boards...ouch.

The only good news, i suppose, is that he was seen walking around after the game, and they have not put him on ir. I'd guess he'll miss the tonight and probably wednesday. They're only saying day to day. but with the pens, that could mean anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14988216)
I don't think it will. They'll compare it to guys like McSorley and Bertuzzi. I don't think it's quite as bad as those guys but Bert got 23 games I think? Also someone I read today said the NHL will make the argument that it was premeditated and Orpik wasn't just unwilling he wasn't prepared for it when he came back in.

:thumbsup

rickyh24 12-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988271)
Neal wasnt as premeditated as Thorntons. Neals happened in the span of about 3 seconds when Marchand fell. Thornton tried to fight Orpik earlier, then 15 minutes later, after a whistle skated nearly the length of the ice and attacked orpik when play had been stopped.

Orpik should have just manned up. If the pens are going to try and take over the "dirtiest team in the league" title they should at least not act like pussies when they are confronted.

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 14988292)
Orpik should have just manned up. If the pens are going to try and take over the "dirtiest team in the league" title they should at least not act like pussies when they are confronted.

:lol :lol
So much for taking responsibility for your actions. But hey, Thornton was really really sorry.Yes, fight over a clean hit. Lets have our one of our remaining top 2 dmen fight a fourth liner in a tied game. makes tons of sense rick. And lets not act like the big bad bruins are squeaky clean.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-16-2013 02:04 PM

I think that's what is being overlooked here the most.

Orpik's hit on Eriksson was a perfectly clean hit, it's a shame he got hurt but Orpik didn't do anything wrong.

Thornton should have been going after Neal, if anyone.

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14988309)

Orpik's hit on Eriksson was a perfectly clean hit, it's a shame he got hurt but Orpik didn't do anything wrong.

pretty much, only thing is, i dont even think thornton realized what neal did. if you watch the suspension video, thornton could have gotten neal but chose to rush up ice and attack orpik from behind. thats why it was so long, it was premeditated from 15 minutes before hand.

rickyh24 12-16-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988304)
So much for taking responsibility for your actions. But hey, Thornton was really really sorry.Yes, fight over a clean hit. Lets have our one of our remaining top 2 dmen fight a fourth liner in a tied game. makes tons of sense rick. And lets not act like the big bad bruins are squeaky clean.

Make sure to keep as updated as to what penguin gets ejected for a hit to the head next.

Brohan_Santana 12-16-2013 02:23 PM

Brooks Orpik is a douche nozzle...he deserves a 15 game suspension for being a clown

Roose13 12-16-2013 03:02 PM

And speaking of douche nozzles...

fonzz41 12-16-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988304)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14988309)

:thumbsup Exactly what I've been saying all along. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED FOR DOING SOMETHING CORRECTLY. It's like getting a dock in pay every time you do something right at your job. And this is coming from a proponent for fighting staying in the game. It's one of the biggest things wrong with the NHL right now, and it's sad because it's seeping down into other levels of hockey.

Like I said before, I'm ok with Thornton getting 15 games. I'm down with severe, malicious actions finally being accompanied by a hefty amount of time missed and money lost, even if it is someone who I respect as a player like Shawn Thornton. However, I don't like that Neal's actions warranted a smaller amount of games missed. We are missing the point if we measure "how much more" pre-meditated something was. The fact is, Neal was trying to hurt Marchand. It was malicious. I know the two incidents were not exactly related, but because of their proximity they are very easy to compare and should be compared, IMO.

Again, not trying to hang Neal and put Thornton on a pedestal, but you've got to look at what's going on in the NHL right now and come down hard on this stuff. It seems like every night guys are getting called in for hearings.

EDIT: And yes, I also agree with Brad in the strategy behind Orpik not fighting for the reason of their positions on the depth chart. Cheap hit? Yeah, fight it out buddy. Clean hit? No need to get punched in the face by one of the best pugilists in the game and risk injury. Add to the fact that you've got a good shot at making the Olympic team in the next month and don't want to compromise that.

mr.MikeD 12-16-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

fuck that a lot. the only retaliation for a clean hit should be a clean hit.
But them I'm one of the pussies that doesn't really want fighting in the league, so I also think that he only acceptable retaliation for a dirty hit is a clean hit (+ appropriate league punishment)

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 06:49 PM

great game from the pens and leafs. pens young kids on D were excellent and really held it together. Literally the 5,6,7,8,9,10 d-men for the pens. Shame these kids will be in the A or traded when some of the vets come back.

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14988425)
:thumbsup Exactly what I've been saying all along. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED FOR DOING SOMETHING CORRECTLY. It's like getting a dock in pay every time you do something right at your job. And this is coming from a proponent for fighting staying in the game. It's one of the biggest things wrong with the NHL right now, and it's sad because it's seeping down into other levels of hockey.

Like I said before, I'm ok with Thornton getting 15 games. I'm down with severe, malicious actions finally being accompanied by a hefty amount of time missed and money lost, even if it is someone who I respect as a player like Shawn Thornton. However, I don't like that Neal's actions warranted a smaller amount of games missed. We are missing the point if we measure "how much more" pre-meditated something was. The fact is, Neal was trying to hurt Marchand. It was malicious. I know the two incidents were not exactly related, but because of their proximity they are very easy to compare and should be compared, IMO.

Again, not trying to hang Neal and put Thornton on a pedestal, but you've got to look at what's going on in the NHL right now and come down hard on this stuff. It seems like every night guys are getting called in for hearings.

EDIT: And yes, I also agree with Brad in the strategy behind Orpik not fighting for the reason of their positions on the depth chart. Cheap hit? Yeah, fight it out buddy. Clean hit? No need to get punched in the face by one of the best pugilists in the game and risk injury. Add to the fact that you've got a good shot at making the Olympic team in the next month and don't want to compromise that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 14988445)
fuck that a lot. the only retaliation for a clean hit should be a clean hit.
But them I'm one of the pussies that doesn't really want fighting in the league, so I also think that he only acceptable retaliation for a dirty hit is a clean hit (+ appropriate league punishment)

All very true. I know Ricky is just trying to troll, at least i think he is, but theres really people out there that think this stuff. Pretty sad. I have no problem with fighting if it was a dirty hit, but its getting to the point where guys are having to fight after everything.

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 07:22 PM

I just have to add, Olli Maata is going to be star. Think Lidstrom lite. I know thats a huge comparison, but this kid has got it. 19 year old kid out there playing like a 10 year vet. Just sound defensively and shutting guys down.

fonzz41 12-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988739)
I just have to add, Olli Maata is going to be star. Think Lidstrom lite. 19 year old kid out there playing like a 10 year vet. Just sound defensively and shutting guys down.

I need to watch him more, but the last game of theirs I didn't notice any glaring mistakes on his part. Will try to catch more Pens games and let you know what I think. :thumbsup

bradshaw06 12-16-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14988754)
I need to watch him more, but the last game of theirs I didn't notice any glaring mistakes on his part. Will try to catch more Pens games and let you know what I think. :thumbsup

I'd be interested to see what you think. One of my favorite things in this thread is reading your defense posts. You're always spot on with D-analysis.

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

:lol you're an idiot

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 05:58 AM

i hope the other 29 teams were looking at the pens blue line depth last night, trade bait

also, robert bortuzzo says "hello, NHL"

Rebecca De Mornay 12-17-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989152)
:lol you're an idiot

:lol it is interesting that the only time this thread turns into every tailgate thread is when the beard avatars show up.

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14989156)
:lol it is interesting that the only time this thread turns into every tailgate thread is when the beard avatars show up.

seriously, and of all people a bruins fan throwing that shit around

brooks orpik is more of a man than thornton will ever be, or neal for that matter

thornton big time coward

NHL in shambles

unccrombie 12-17-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989169)
seriously, and of all people a bruins fan throwing that shit around

brooks orpik is more of a man than thornton will ever be, or neal for that matter

thornton big time coward

NHL in shambles

hey bud, big game tomorrow. Going to miss it :(

Roose13 12-17-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988739)
I just have to add, Olli Maata is going to be star. Think Lidstrom lite. I know thats a huge comparison, but this kid has got it. 19 year old kid out there playing like a 10 year vet. Just sound defensively and shutting guys down.

Every time I watch him play it hurts. Flyers could have drafted him, and instead picked Laughton.

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 14989177)
hey bud, big game tomorrow. Going to miss it :(

how come?

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 06:09 AM

olli maata is the real deal

unccrombie 12-17-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989194)
how come?

dinner at a friends house without cable. sucks because they went to PSU and are pens fans

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 14989197)
dinner at a friends house without cable. sucks because they went to PSU and are pens fans

damn, well whenever crosby nutmegs staal then goes 5-hole on king henry, i'll be sure to update you :rolleyes

Rebecca De Mornay 12-17-2013 06:12 AM

is staal even playing?

and yeah maata is really impressive.

unccrombie 12-17-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 14989201)
damn, well whenever crosby nutmegs staal then goes 5-hole on king henry, i'll be sure to update you :rolleyes

henrik been playing really shaky in 1st periods. if we go down 2+ we're donezo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14989204)
is staal even playing?

and yeah maata is really impressive.

i don't think so

hailtopitt 12-17-2013 06:21 AM

best thing about playing the rangers

no more torts

fonzz41 12-17-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14988763)
I'd be interested to see what you think. One of my favorite things in this thread is reading your defense posts. You're always spot on with D-analysis.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup It's definitely the part of the game I'm most passionate about. Defensemen are often relied upon to be the smartest and most dependable players on the ice, yet they often only receive serious attention when they screw up or score the rare big goal. Their shift-to-shift duties often go unheralded and unnoticed, except by the trainers who have to ice and bandage their various wounds after a game.

I was up with my sick 1 year old last night who just wanted to sleep in my arms (awwww), so I threw on a Pens game I had recorded. I then watched a few clips of Maatta I found online. Stand by....