Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 07-20-2019 05:46 AM

Re: The NHL Thread: Gloria!

He wasn’t Putin any of his feelings lightly, that’s for sure.

barbogast 07-20-2019 05:48 AM

Like is dude gonna make it to training camp?? I love Ovie but I really wish he had been the one to do this. Panarin just earned a ton of respect from me.

Brohan_Santana 07-22-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17503893)
Like is dude gonna make it to training camp?? I love Ovie but I really wish he had been the one to do this. Panarin just earned a ton of respect from me.

I missed something bigly - what's the interview

barbogast 07-23-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17506196)
I missed something bigly - what's the interview

So Artemi Panarin did an interview in Russia and completely blasted Vladimir Putin and what has happened during his time in power. Described Russia as “lawless” and compared American cities and Russian cities, comparing places like Columbus to a reasonably big but not huge city in Russia. (I’m paraphrasing) Said Columbus feels clean and safe and like the people there could go to the police and would get help, none of which applies to a top 20-30 city in Russia that isn’t Moscow or Saint Petersburg. There’s much more, too. It was a scorching interview. I’ve never seen anything like it from a Russian athlete. And per several members of the Russian sports media, they haven’t either.

Roose13 07-23-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17506399)
So Artemi Panarin did an interview in Russia and completely blasted Vladimir Putin and what has happened during his time in power. Described Russia as “lawless” and compared American cities and Russian cities, comparing places like Columbus to a reasonably big but not huge city in Russia. (I’m paraphrasing) Said Columbus feels clean and safe and like the people there could go to the police and would get help, none of which applies to a top 20-30 city in Russia that isn’t Moscow or Saint Petersburg. There’s much more, too. It was a scorching interview. I’ve never seen anything like it from a Russian athlete. And per several members of the Russian sports media, they haven’t either.

We're starting to see pro athletes from other countries do this, and it's so awesome to see. Same with the Enes Kanter in the NBA with Turkey.

Not to sound like some red, white and blue nationalist, but God bless America and the fact we allow these foreign athletes to try to make a change in a place where they have the freedom to do so.

barbogast 07-23-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17506518)
We're starting to see pro athletes from other countries do this, and it's so awesome to see. Same with the Enes Kanter in the NBA with Turkey.

Not to sound like some red, white and blue nationalist, but God bless America and the fact we allow these foreign athletes to try to make a change in a place where they have the freedom to do so.

It is awesome to see, good for these athletes for taking that risk. I’m really curious to see how his Russian peers in the NHL respond to this. Especially the younger guys. I think it was Zadorov that already spoke out in support of Panarin.

And yeah, to your second point, it really reemphasizes how good we have it in America compared to a lot of the rest of the world.

swordo84 07-23-2019 10:29 AM

Panarin best not step foot in Mother Russia again.

bradshaw06 07-24-2019 12:07 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/t...mpression=true

This is amazing

hailtopitt 07-24-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17508259)

:lol:lol

barbogast 07-24-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17508259)

Indeed. That was amazing. Far more amazing than I ever expected that click to be.

unccrombie 07-29-2019 05:39 PM

https://twitter.com/Nick_Tahou_Hots/...026982914?s=20

Brohan_Santana 07-29-2019 09:40 PM

Coming soon to a Giant near you https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d0430a101f.jpg

barbogast 07-30-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17512100)

As if life couldn’t get any better. They put Alex Ovechkin in a cereal. The best things in the world, together. Lucky us <3

hailtopitt 07-30-2019 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
almost as good as this

Lcsulla 07-31-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17486024)
Wonder what this means for Crawford. I know it's a 1-year deal, but 11 million is a lot to tie up in your goaltenders.

I think a lot of thad to do with a few things: Crawford's recent medical issues, the fact that he is only guaranteed through next season and also he will turn 35 mid-season plus he just got married. Have to see how he does and his intentions I guess. If he is healthy, solid and expresses a desire to resign the Hawks lose nothing except a 1 year cap hit they can afford. If something unforeseen happens to Crawford it is not the end of the world because Leher and Delia are there to lock things down hopefully. Then you just let Crow do what he needs, resign Leher long term if he plays well and figure out exactly where Delia fits in to the mix and whether he is worth exposing in the expansion draft or trying to move him in favor of a solid number 2 that can be gotten relatively cheap. It is no surprise the woes of the Hawks really did begin when Crawford went down over 2 years ago and it was painfully obvious that Forsberg didn't have it, Ward was inconsistent, Delia did not play that many games - lets be honest, short of Crawford the signature goalie moment in the past 2 years was Scott Foster's 15 minutes of fame! :lol

So yeah, I am OK with this because I do not know what to expect from Crawford - probably one of the more under-rated goalies in the league so having a proven backup is a good thing, especially on a one year evaluation type contract in a year the Hawks actually have the space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17486097)
Wow Nazem Kadri to the Avs for Tyson Barrie. Matty your team is shaking it up. I know you liked Barrie. Is this trade as big a surprise as it seems? What do the Avs need Kadri for?

Cap space to burn man, must be nice. If the Hawks make the playoffs next season the Av's would worry me more than any other WC team in a playoff series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17489605)
They should trade one. Not smart.

Please see my two cents about that written above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 17491547)
What do you all think? Does Marner get an offer sheet? If so, for how long and how much money?

I think he will get one but whether he will balk at the figue and not sign it is up in the air for me, especially with the salaries being given to solid young players recently and the cap crunch many contenders are under.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17498565)
Blues signed Binnington for 2 years at 4.4 million a year. Short term protects the Blues if he's a one-hit wonder, and the deal takes Binnington right to his UFA years where he can earn himself a monster contract if he keeps up his level of play.

Absolutely the best way they could handled that situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17500811)
So pumped about the way Joe Sakic is constructing this team.

Can we borrow him for a bit? :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17501864)
Ron Francis named GM of the Seattle team. I have a feeling his job is going to be a LOT harder than McPhee's when he came into Vegas. GMs aren't gonna let him walk all over them like George did. :lol

Ronnie is a great guy from all accounts - as a player, an executive and a person, he is also a winner. Course he cannot duplicate what Vegas did (doubt anywhere can, especially Seattle) but he can lay the foundation for a team that will compete soon by drafting well, signing the right guys and giving the organization direction and a good culture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17502971)
I’ll add that I’m also generally pleased with my team’s off season moves. I question the scoring ability of the third line a little bit now that Connolly and Burakovsky have left, but as long as each of Eller, Panik, and Hagelin are in the 13-16 range, they should be ok. I actually really like the Gudas add. It gives some much needed depth while not blocking Jensen from developing into what they paid him for. The Vrana deal was smart for both sides. I think the Caps line up well and are likely still the team to beat in the Metro.

We again agree on something. I am pretty pleased at mine as well. Is it hockey season yet? :lol

Edit: Panik is a skitz bro, one game he looks like a top tier FWD and then he is a total dud for the next 5 games and gets scratched for the 6th. He has all kinds of talent but he just cannot stay consistent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17506399)

Takes some guts, breadman is literally rising his life by telling the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17506711)
Panarin best not step foot in Mother Russia again.

Got that right!

kev87lads 08-01-2019 06:04 AM

Hey. Hello August. Last month without anything. Longest two months of the year sports calendar-wise. (July and August) Stay strong friends.

barbogast 08-07-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17514091)
Hey. Hello August. Last month without anything. Longest two months of the year sports calendar-wise. (July and August) Stay strong friends.

Stay strong indeed friends!!!

RiotAct 08-09-2019 08:38 AM

that new Islanders arena should be pretty nice.

~Crashintome89~ 08-09-2019 06:14 PM

Hi friends!

Miss you guys--can't wait until October when the games count!

Lcsulla 08-10-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17519940)
Hi friends!

Yup, I too am starting to go a little stir crazy without a sport to be too passionate about. Women's World Cup was a nice distraction from no hockey for a month but now the Yankees are running away with the AL east so it is basically a wait and see for a first round opponent rather than getting really hyped up about a single game. I have resorted to DVR, DVD and Roku to watch NHL stiff from the past to keep myself smiling! Talked to a buddy of mine yesterday who is a die hard Yankees and Rangers fan who said he was feeling the same way and were I a Rangers fan I would be even more eagerly awaiting the seasons start after obtaining Kaapo, Panarin and Trouba!

Anyone else see the party foul on the Masterson trophy listing Leher as an NY Ranger last season! :lol

barbogast 08-15-2019 04:50 AM

We’ve got a new dad in here, people!! Congrats to Roose and family!!!!

Brohan_Santana 08-20-2019 05:12 AM

Little under a month until preseason games begin - nhl off-season always seems to fly by because of being occupied with summer

jrkarger 08-22-2019 05:53 PM

I saw this hockey joke about the Pittsburgh Pirates, laughed out loud and immediately thought of this thread...

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/stat...974325760?s=21

Annnnd the punchline...

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/stat...765802496?s=21

JRS1386 08-22-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17519940)
Hi friends!

Only time it counts for the Flyers!

barbogast 08-23-2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17527353)
I saw this hockey joke about the Pittsburgh Pirates, laughed out loud and immediately thought of this thread...

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/stat...974325760?s=21

Annnnd the punchline...

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/stat...765802496?s=21

The first tweet doesn’t work anymore :lorraine

Rico Fata though!!! :lol

jrkarger 08-23-2019 05:45 AM

:lol

This is what the first tweet said: Here's my tribute to Cervelli: He was a mediocre player who was hurt too much, got paid too much& lost his only playoff game w/the Pirates. But when your team stinks, you've got to fabricate heroes. #ThatsAmore Wonder how Nutting will spend that $11m Cervelli was making?

hailtopitt 08-23-2019 06:14 AM

Congrats to Bill Guerin on the Minnesota job

lots of teams plucking fruit from the Pittsburgh front office tree

been a weird couple years for the Pens from top to bottom

Brohan_Santana 08-23-2019 07:04 AM

Kuznetsov banned from IIHF for 4 years for testing positive for cocaine

Was def targeted & I don't really care. It's a well known fact 50% of NHL players do blow since it's not a banned substance

barbogast 08-23-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17527660)
Kuznetsov banned from IIHF for 4 years for testing positive for cocaine

Was def targeted & I don't really care. It's a well known fact 50% of NHL players do blow since it's not a banned substance

I guess I just saw a statement from the team that eluded to him undergoing some testing protocol laid out in the CBA? It did say he did that voluntarily, as like you said it’s not banned and I guess the team or league can’t really reprimand him for this.. I just wonder how him trying to get clean will affect his season. I suppose that depends on how serious his use is.

Brohan_Santana 08-23-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17527689)
I guess I just saw a statement from the team that eluded to him undergoing some testing protocol laid out in the CBA? It did say he did that voluntarily, as like you said it’s not banned and I guess the team or league can’t really reprimand him for this.. I just wonder how him trying to get clean will affect his season. I suppose that depends on how serious his use is.

Cocaine is no more a drug than Alcohol - they're both drugs. Kuzy did a good job of bouncing back after the alcohol bender after the cup win