Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 03-28-2018 07:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

I'll go for the Jets. Always go for the underdog and the Thrashers were and Jets 1.0 and 2.0 have always been and I think will be until they win a series. Also the atmosphere at that place will be crazy. Outside of that there isn't really anyone I'm like oh it would be great if they did something. I want Vegas to lose early because I want the best 1st round pick since the Wings have theirs. Sorry Knights although that would be an amazing story. It already is and going on a playoff run would be even crazier.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 07:54 AM

This is a HUGE game for both the Avs and Flyers tonight. Flyers holding on to that WC spot, and the Avs just fell out of theirs last night, but only by one point.

kev87lads 03-28-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17050039)
This is a HUGE game for both the Avs and Flyers tonight. Flyers holding on to that WC spot, and the Avs just fell out of theirs last night, but only by one point.

You gonna stomp us. Guessing a 5-2 game tonight.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17050041)
You gonna stomp us. Guessing a 5-2 game tonight.

I don't know, man. I really don't know. The Avs really struggled against the Knights last game... which I suppose is understandable considering it's the Knights, but I was starting to see signs of wear and tear in the team as a whole. They've leaned way too heavily on Varlamov the past 20 games with Bernier out, and it showed. And, I mean, they've got like 5-6 rookies on the roster who were flying at the beginning of the season, but have really cooled off. The rigors of a full NHL season is just not something I think you can really prepare for as a kid.

What they DO have going for them is Philly playing just last night. Hopefully they can capitalize.

dmbetc 03-28-2018 08:54 AM

Yeah this battle for the WC in the West is nuts.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17050099)

Right?! Things shift so dramatically on a nightly basis. Luckily that 3rd spot in the Pacific is still up so it makes the WC battle a little more open. But with the way all four teams (Avs, Kings, Ducks, Blues) are playing, it's gonna be intense.

Lcsulla 03-28-2018 09:39 AM

Last night had that playoff atmosphere going where I was flipping through tight and exciting games. Only Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Anaheim sat on the toilet most of the game though I expect Pittsburgh and Anaheim to bounce back next game. Seeing Tarasenko win it in OT was great. Winnipeg winning in a shootout was cool. Was not very thrilled Nashville win in a shootout was not fun to see nor was that Devils comeback. I thought Philly was going to beat Dallas in OT Was entertaining to see that fool trying to bait Hornqvist into a fight was entertaining seeing Hornqvist trying to avoid a fight successfully and then seeing Malkin skate up in that 'Don't fuck with my linemate' mindset was funny - more so when the dude wanted no part of Malkin. Even the Islanders vs Sens game was damn close. That goal Crosby scored was another 'Holy damn that guy is good' by him. Despise the loss it is sweet to see McDavid still lighting it up. Just an all around fun night where I was switching through games for a few hours last night. had a lot of fun.

Lcsulla 03-28-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17049890)
Flyers are gonna miss the playoffs because they can't fucking finish in OT.

I think they will make the playoffs, how deep their run will go is something I cannot predict - likely will depend on who they face in the first round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17050008)
I'll go for the Jets.

Yeah, I will be rooting for either the Jets or the Avs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17050099)

Agreed, it is crazy and seeding will likely not be finalized until the last game of the season.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 11:47 AM

Well Flyers nerds, one more reason for optimism: Varlamov is sick. Andrew Hammond is likely starter. First NHL game in over a year. Other option is Spencer Martin, completely untested rookie.

Not great news for Avs fans.

TMoore4075 03-28-2018 11:56 AM

Come on Flyers. I need playoffs for that 3rd rounder.

kev87lads 03-28-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17050395)
Well Flyers nerds, one more reason for optimism: Varlamov is sick. Andrew Hammond is likely starter. First NHL game in over a year. Other option is Spencer Martin, completely untested rookie.

Eh. We play down to competition. So this will be another reason for the Flyers to cruise in the first period. Likely be down 2-1 or something after 1. Then have some chances but ultimately go down 3-1 mid way through the game. Backbreaking goal in last minute of 2nd or first two minutes of third makes it 4-1. Say goodnight Irene. 5-2 L.

And meanwhile, earlier in the night Florida will beat Toronto like 6-2.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17050405)
Eh. We play down to competition. So this will be another reason for the Flyers to cruise in the first period. Likely be down 2-1 or something after 1. Then have some chances but ultimately go down 3-1 mid way through the game. Backbreaking goal in last minute of 2nd or first two minutes of third makes it 4-1. Say goodnight Irene. 5-2 L.

And meanwhile, earlier in the night Florida will beat Toronto like 6-2.

Look at us poo-pooing our own teams. Let's turn that frown upside down:

Nail Yakupov with the hattie (been a healthy scratch the last like 15 games), Hammond with the egg.

swordo84 03-28-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17050414)
Look at us poo-pooing our own teams. Let's turn that frown upside down:

Nail Yakupov with the hattie (been a healthy scratch the last like 15 games), Hammond with the egg.

Yak's career in a nutshell, right there.

TMoore4075 03-28-2018 12:53 PM

So many d-men the Oilers could have taken then too. That's up there with the Thrashers taking Patrik Stefan.

fonzz41 03-28-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17050457)
Yak's career in a nutshell, right there.

:lol But seriously though, he does seem to respond well to benchings.

Like we've talked about before, I have zero problems with his work ethic. He's always skating 200mph whenever he's on the ice, and he's got a fantastic shot. He just seems to have NO idea what he's doing out there.

Lcsulla 03-28-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Just start MacKinnon in net, dude can do almost anything! :lol

Brohan_Santana 03-28-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Hamburgler is back!

[IMG] https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/m...Dno&w=700&q=85 [/IMG]

Whatever happened to him? Had a sick run when he first came up

Brohan_Santana 03-28-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17050402)
Come on Flyers. I need playoffs for that 3rd rounder.

Don't see a realistic scenario where Flyers don't make the playoffs. Would need collapse by Flyers & sick run by Panthers for it to happen

Roose13 03-28-2018 03:22 PM

Patrick Roy not available?

Roose13 03-28-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17050575)
Don't a realistic scenario where Flyers don't make the playoffs. Would need collapse by Flyers & sick run by Panthers for it to happen

Panthers are only five points back of Philly with three games in hand. Certainly not impossible. Thankfully four of the last five games for Philly are winnable.

Brohan_Santana 03-28-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17050579)
Panthers are only five points back of Philly with three games in hand. Certainly not impossible. Thankfully four of the last five games for Philly are winnable.

This was taken into account when I mentioned that.

Certainly not impossible but Flyers easy have the highest % chance of making it

I wonder if Flyers are tanking on purpose to slide in against Caps. Have played well so far against them

fonzz41 03-28-2018 04:11 PM

The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17050572)
Hamburgler is back!

[IMG] https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/m...Dno&w=700&q=85 [/IMG]

Whatever happened to him? Had a sick run when he first came up

Sens wanted to groom Condon, so Hammond got buried in the minors.

Was a throw-in from the Sens in the Duchene trade, probably to get his salary off their books. Avs did the same thing, burying him this year and letting him go to FA next season.

But yeah, it’s been nice to know he’s at least an option while we’ve got him, considering his past success. Wish he wasn’t coming in cold during a must-win stretch, but better than the alternative, which is a completely green rookie.

Roose13 03-28-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17050586)
This was taken into account when I mentioned that.

Certainly not impossible but Flyers easy have the highest % chance of making it

I wonder if Flyers are tanking on purpose to slide in against Caps. Have played well so far against them

I'd much rather be a wild card than be the 3 against Pitt, that's for sure.

Lcsulla 03-28-2018 07:08 PM

This is pathetic to read, perhaps Hartford should have made more of an effort to keep the Whalers in town.

https://ctmirror.org/2018/03/28/debt...ord-state-aid/

aeroshady 03-28-2018 07:41 PM

Lol at the officiating in the Rangers Caps game. They missed a too many men on the ice call against the Caps as they pulled their goalie and then the Caps scored right after. Real solid stuff there :lol

Oh well, these games don’t matter for the Rangers.

aeroshady 03-28-2018 07:48 PM

Yup, Rangers got robbed there. Don’t know why I care, probably because I invested the time to watch.

#Garbageleague

Brohan_Santana 03-28-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17050700)
Lol at the officiating in the Rangers Caps game. They missed a too many men on the ice call against the Caps as they pulled their goalie and then the Caps scored right after. Real solid stuff there :lol

Oh well, these games don’t matter for the Rangers.

Made up for the blatant boarding call right before that. Guess you didn’t hear that over NBC announcers hating on the Caps.

Caps dominated that game after the first 10 minutes. If Henry wasn’t standing on his head all night Caps take that one by 3-4 goals easy

fonzz41 03-28-2018 09:55 PM

That game might just be it for the Avs playoff chances. Not trying to throw a pity party - I can’t help but feel good about the season they put together - but with their remaining schedule, the way their fellow WC contenders are playing, and their all of a sudden scoring issues, I think they may fall short.

JRS1386 03-29-2018 03:21 AM

Went to bed with the 2-1 lead expected a last minute loss or an OT/SO loss.

aeroshady 03-29-2018 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17050725)
Made up for the blatant boarding call right before that. Guess you didn’t hear that over NBC announcers hating on the Caps.

Caps dominated that game after the first 10 minutes. If Henry wasn’t standing on his head all night Caps take that one by 3-4 goals easy

Caps should be out playing the Rangers, they are headed to the post season and the Rangers are rebuilding. That said, I don’t agree with the Caps getting screwed on a non-call right before that. They Caps got away with some non-calls as well in the first and second. The problem is that the too many men on the ice penalty is not a judgement call at all, whereas the other ones are.

Also, Hank didn’t deserve that loss.

Btw, I watched the game at a restaurant so I have no idea what you are talking about with NBC.