Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Chumlee67 10-18-2017 10:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

Tuukka Rask got hurt at practice this morning. Looks like a concussion, had to be helped off ice and didnt return. Tough spot for the Bs.

TMoore4075 10-18-2017 10:27 AM

Wings might be able to make the playoffs by default here. lol

lockman21 10-18-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16912917)
Hockey friends; Gord Downie, a Canadian icon, and huge hockey fan passed away last night. Spare a moment to enjoy some music of The Tragically Hip.

One of (if not the only) their appearances on American tv was on SNL at the urging of Dan Aykroyd. They didn't disappoint.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/125904/

Just saw this. Awful.

TMoore4075 10-18-2017 04:53 PM

Same shit different game. Wings outplay the opponent and down 2-0.

Alazais 10-18-2017 05:29 PM

^ They outplayed the Leafs for a good chunk of that period.

A well placed shot, an unlucky bounce off a skate, one seeing eye shot, and an absolutely beauty by Matthews to have it be a 4-1 route.

That goal by Matthews was so subtle and majestic

lockman21 10-18-2017 06:04 PM

Matthews is probably top 250 in the league

dmbetc 10-18-2017 10:42 PM

This was my favorite goal from kempe’s (mini Patrick Kane as I like to call him) hat trick tonight.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/video/kemp...716/c-53652903

TMoore4075 10-19-2017 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16913561)
^ They outplayed the Leafs for a good chunk of that period.

A well placed shot, an unlucky bounce off a skate, one seeing eye shot, and an absolutely beauty by Matthews to have it be a 4-1 route.

That goal by Matthews was so subtle and majestic

It's like last year all over again. Fall behind and try to come back and get close or maybe even tie, but still lose. In my long term thinking, I like Green is on fire so they can get something good for him at the deadline and before last night both goalies were playing well and you'll need to trade one of them.

kev87lads 10-19-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16913677)
This was my favorite goal from kempe’s (mini Patrick Kane as I like to call him) hat trick tonight.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/video/kemp...716/c-53652903

The last view of the replay with Shaw just cruising by on his stomach and his face is :lol

dmbetc 10-19-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16913747)
The last view of the replay with Shaw just cruising by on his stomach and his face is :lol

:lol He is so casual, I imagine him thinking “well, I might as well get comfy and enjoy this view”

aeroshady 10-19-2017 04:21 PM

The Rangers are a very bad team right now. This reminds me of watching the Rangers in the late 1990's and early 2000's. Not a good look.

JRS1386 10-19-2017 06:01 PM

I dislike Andrew MacDonald

Lcsulla 10-19-2017 06:13 PM

So classy by the Oilers to all give a stick salute when Chicago put Eddie O up on the jumbotron during a break. Much respect.

In the past 24 hours I am starting to get nightmares when a guy wearing a number in the 90's darts into the Chicago zone - between Tarasenko last night and McDavid tonight it is driving me nuts - even if I enjoy watching the sheer skill of guys like that!

Matty, happy to see you guys are still off to a good start, 8 points so far, only 3 off the WC lead - yeah I know it is early but still, making strides!

swordo84 10-19-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16914496)
So classy by the Oilers to all give a stick salute when Chicago put Eddie O up on the jumbotron during a break. Much respect.

In the past 24 hours I am starting to get nightmares when a guy wearing a number in the 90's darts into the Chicago zone - between Tarasenko last night and McDavid tonight it is driving me nuts - even if I enjoy watching the sheer skill of guys like that!

Matty, happy to see you guys are still off to a good start, 8 points so far, only 3 off the WC lead - yeah I know it is early but still, making strides!

How'd you like that McDavid assist?? Unreal!

dmbetc 10-19-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16914509)

I was just coming to talk about that. My lady boner went up.

Roose13 10-19-2017 06:41 PM

Much rather lose 1-0 like that than ever experience that stupid 6-5 game again.

Lcsulla 10-19-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16914509)

Yeah, that was just sick. He is just plain filthy good, I think Maroon could have stopped and sang the national anthem before putting the puck in McDavid set him up so well. seeing him and Kane dueling is just fun to watch.

Obviously I do not see a ton of OPilers games but what has impressed me the most so far is how many shots they are blocking, it is driving me nuts!

I am a little surprised Kassian only got 2 minutes instead of 5 for that hit on Hartmann.

swordo84 10-19-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16914547)

I am a little surprised Kassian only got 2 minutes instead of 5 for that hit on Hartmann.

Could have been 5, should have been 5.

Lcsulla 10-19-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16914566)
Could have been 5, should have been 5.

Thought so too. Regardless, it was a great game despite my team losing with like 30 seconds left in OT - wish we could have gotten the second point but I think both teams were deserving of points tonight! Congrats man!

barbogast 10-20-2017 03:56 AM

Connor McDavid is pretty good huh?

swordo84 10-20-2017 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16914628)
Thought so too. Regardless, it was a great game despite my team losing with like 30 seconds left in OT - wish we could have gotten the second point but I think both teams were deserving of points tonight! Congrats man!

It was probably the best game the Oilers played all year. If they can put out that kind of effort night after night we'll be ok.

RNH faceoff wins in OT were paramount. Two huge wins in the offensive zone vs. Toews. It was nice to see.

swordo84 10-20-2017 05:31 AM

McJesus assist;
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...83949052772352

aeroshady 10-20-2017 06:22 AM

AV can't last much longer the way things are going in New York. Another bad penalty early costs the Rangers an early goal. They were playing from behind the rest of the way and had a similar outcome to Tuesday night's game against the Pens. The Rangers are also showing how important having a solid first line center is to a team. They look lost without Stepan.

Not sure what to say. I expected the Rangers to slowly fade away as their window shuts. I was hopeful that maybe they would put one more run together before that happened. I was not expecting them to come out and be so awful this season though. I honestly have a hard time believing they still have a chance at the playoffs at this point. 1-5-2 in the MET is going to be hard to turn around.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the slide continues. AV's job being terminated will be the first move I am sure, but at what point in the season do the Rangers and GM Jeff Gorton start to think about blowing up the roster? Nash certainly has to be on people's radar as a possible good trade for a team close to a cup. He has looked great this season. Also, could the Rangers get someone to bite on a move for Hank?

Obviously, we are still months away from any of that happening, but their start to this season makes it look more like a when than an if at this point.

TheLastPig 10-20-2017 07:26 AM

That assist was bonkers. When you see the replay just zoomed in on him he makes it look so effortless. Then you zoom out and see the window he passed through after using his body to shield the puck... just wow.

Lcsulla 10-20-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16914658)
It was probably the best game the Oilers played all year. If they can put out that kind of effort night after night we'll be ok.

RNH faceoff wins in OT were paramount. Two huge wins in the offensive zone vs. Toews. It was nice to see.

I thought the Hawks came out a little flat, no offense at all to the Oilers and when Chicago started to push Talbot and your D just plain shut us down with great saves, a hundred and seventy two shot blocks and some bad luck with them drawing iron. Hawks power play was awful - again and they took way too many penalties to beat a good team. Forsberg stole that point for Chicago with some great goaltending and I have to say I was impressed with Jan Rutta who is quietly doing all the right things on D. Well played game on both sides, was very fun to watch.

Regarding faceoffs, how long has RNH been in the league just out of curiosity? Seems like the newer guys are having an easier transition with that new rule while guys like say Toews and Crosby and getting increasingly frustrated with getting tossed out of the dot constantly.

Lcsulla 10-20-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16914651)
Connor McDavid is pretty good huh?

This is why we watch and why it is the best sport on earth. Seeing guys like McDavid, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Tarasenko, Price, Jagr, Karlsson, etc, etc - an, they can just dazzle anyone with thier skills. It is astounding to watch these guys come to play on such a high level almost every came.

swordo84 10-20-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16914844)
I thought the Hawks came out a little flat, no offense at all to the Oilers and when Chicago started to push Talbot and your D just plain shut us down with great saves, a hundred and seventy two shot blocks and some bad luck with them drawing iron. Hawks power play was awful - again and they took way too many penalties to beat a good team. Forsberg stole that point for Chicago with some great goaltending and I have to say I was impressed with Jan Rutta who is quietly doing all the right things on D. Well played game on both sides, was very fun to watch.

Regarding faceoffs, how long has RNH been in the league just out of curiosity? Seems like the newer guys are having an easier transition with that new rule while guys like say Toews and Crosby and getting increasingly frustrated with getting tossed out of the dot constantly.

His first year was 2011/2012

aeroshady 10-20-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16914716)
AV can't last much longer the way things are going in New York. Another bad penalty early costs the Rangers an early goal. They were playing from behind the rest of the way and had a similar outcome to Tuesday night's game against the Pens. The Rangers are also showing how important having a solid first line center is to a team. They look lost without Stepan.

Not sure what to say. I expected the Rangers to slowly fade away as their window shuts. I was hopeful that maybe they would put one more run together before that happened. I was not expecting them to come out and be so awful this season though. I honestly have a hard time believing they still have a chance at the playoffs at this point. 1-5-2 in the MET is going to be hard to turn around.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the slide continues. AV's job being terminated will be the first move I am sure, but at what point in the season do the Rangers and GM Jeff Gorton start to think about blowing up the roster? Nash certainly has to be on people's radar as a possible good trade for a team close to a cup. He has looked great this season. Also, could the Rangers get someone to bite on a move for Hank?

Obviously, we are still months away from any of that happening, but their start to this season makes it look more like a when than an if at this point.

To add on to this: According to Blueshirt Banter, the Rangers need to play at a 102 point pace the rest of the way to qualify for the WC2 spot based on statistical history under the current playoff format. If they lose to the Preds that number becomes 104 pts.

Basically, the Rangers have already put themselves in a position of needing to play lights out hockey the rest of the way...and it is not even November.

TMoore4075 10-20-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16914905)
To add on to this: According to Blueshirt Banter, the Rangers need to play at a 102 point pace the rest of the way to qualify for the WC2 spot based on statistical history under the current playoff format. If they lose to the Preds that number becomes 104 pts.

Basically, the Rangers have already put themselves in a position of needing to play lights out hockey the rest of the way...and it is not even November.

That's what's is crazy about today's NHL. 2004 the two 8-seeds had 91 points. Even the first year with shootouts it was 92 in the East and 95 out West.

aeroshady 10-20-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16914936)
That's what's is crazy about today's NHL. 2004 the two 8-seeds had 91 points. Even the first year with shootouts it was 92 in the East and 95 out West.

Overall I think it is good for hockey that the level of play has been raised. I think the NHL playoffs have been fantastic too.

The Rangers have no one to blame but themselves. I may love my NY Rangers, but if they don't deserve to get in, than so be it. I would rather good teams get in than my Rangers sneaking in with a .500 or so record.