Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 05-01-2017 12:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16779169)
that's precisely what he'd get out of it! that's the whole point of a NMC!

Hes known whats going on with his situation for a year. He or no player would ever just waive it for the hell of it.

So I really dont know what you were trying to say there.

If you were trying to just make as obvious of a point as possible I guess youre right?

JRS1386 05-01-2017 12:45 PM

Zima's all around fellas. Sorry for both your losses Greg and Chris. Matty summed everything up with his eloquent post the past page so I'll be less eloquent and direct people to his signature if necessary.

All of us make this place awesome (even Brohan). Wouldn't chose anywhere else to discuss hockey and heckle others than this thread right here.

YouNeverKnow25 05-01-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16779067)
Yeah im well aware. MAF will waive his clause and get dealt. Everything he is doing right now is skyrocketing his value. It would be dumb to do anything else really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16779079)
Pretty confident MAF will waive it. He's not the type of person to give them a hard time. I dont see him making any of this hard on Mario/GMJR. Maybe they just offer to buy him out but I think he knows the situation and will be willing to help the organization... especially if somehow he leads them to another ring this year and leaves on top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16779144)
Not true.

MAF knows whats going on. He is the antithesis of a "me" guy. He will do whatever is easiest/best for him and the Pens. Whether that is waiving the nmc or getting bought out is yet to be seen. Probably depends on where he wants to land/what closed-door offers the Pens have.

Its not a definite it will be waived but its not 0.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16779174)
Hes known whats going on with his situation for a year. He or no player would ever just waive it for the hell of it.

So I really dont know what you were trying to say there.

If you were trying to just make as obvious of a point as possible I guess youre right?

you said multiple times he would waive it "to help the team"

TheLastPig 05-01-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16779178)
you said multiple times he would waive it "to help the team"

Right, he would help the team by allowing them to trade him and get a return. I took your post as there is 100% chance he will not waive it, period. If he forces a buyout that isnt helping the team.

If he were to waive it, its a given that he would be involved in the trade and choose where he wants to go.

TMoore4075 05-01-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16779173)
you get to pick your destination, and if you want, you can tell the potential new team that you won't waive the NMC unless they offer an extension. it's a leverage builder, and that leverage is exactly why people ask for them (and why relatively few people get them)

Well he seemed willing to go to Calgary last summer (a team that was a non playoff team at the time) if a trade could be worked out with the Pens so I think he's open to a lot of things so he's not gonna handcuff this team either. He has no leverage in terms of contract extension because you can't even begin negotiating until July 1st 2018 because his contract doesn't expire until June 30th 2019. He's not gonna handcuff this team and Pens will look for multiple options to help him out too.

YouNeverKnow25 05-01-2017 12:51 PM

sure, you "can't begin negotiating." sure. and every free agent just happens to already know where they're going on the first day of free agency.

TheLastPig 05-01-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16779188)
Well he seemed willing to go to Calgary last summer (a team that was a non playoff team at the time) if a trade could be worked out with the Pens so I think he's open to a lot of things so he's not gonna handcuff this team either. He has no leverage in terms of contract extension because you can't even begin negotiating until July 1st 2018 because his contract doesn't expire until June 30th 2019. He's not gonna handcuff this team and Pens will look for multiple options to help him out too.

:thumbsup

Well said. This whole thing will operate under good faith from both ends, that I have no doubt about.

YouNeverKnow25 05-01-2017 01:00 PM

I don't doubt that at all. MAF isn't gonna fold his full house though--he'll bet it respectfully, but he isn't gonna fold it.

TMoore4075 05-01-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16779189)
sure, you "can't begin negotiating." sure. and every free agent just happens to already know where they're going on the first day of free agency.

You're right they do know because they talk to teams for the week before July 1st.

Neither side would do it now even if that were the case, there is too much risk. A team isn't gonna say yeah we'll sign you to that when we don't know how you'll play and he's not getting any younger, plus he could say yeah I'll do it but after a year there say I don't wanna be here and then pulls out (haha) so the team is screwed there. Same goes the other way cause the team could do it to him. While I get what you're saying that this shit might go on behind the scenes, I don't see that playing too much into this decision because neither side could guarantee anything until a deal could be signed next summer and both sides would want insurance and they couldn't get it because then it would get out that they were violating the CBA.

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16779144)
Not true.

MAF knows whats going on. He is the antithesis of a "me" guy. He will do whatever is easiest/best for him and the Pens. Whether that is waiving the nmc or getting bought out is yet to be seen. Probably depends on where he wants to land/what closed-door offers the Pens have.

Its not a definite it will be waived but its not 0.0

:lol :lol :lol

Are you trying to put words in someones mouth? Especially when there's millions at stake with potential/future earnings?

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16779159)
Well from the reports out there (and Pig, Pit or other Pens fans want to confirm or deny), he was willing to waive it last year if the right deal came along I'm guessing he'll still be willing now. And with his stock so high his options will be greatly improved over last year.

Last year and now are two completely different scenarios.

Yea maybe the penns will 'take care of him', but its going to hurt the Penns A LOT more now

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 04:52 PM

My god. There's only one player in the league that gets a penalty call like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradshaw06 05-01-2017 04:52 PM

Fuck you nisky

TMoore4075 05-01-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16779321)
My god. There's only one player in the league that gets a penalty call like that

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16779322)
Fuck you nisky

Amazing how two different fans see it differently. I think the penalty is right but I also don't think the intent was to get him to the head cause Crosby was falling but you gotta call it.

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

I'll address more in between periods. But the intent wasn't to injure or hit him in the head by any stretch. They called it a 2 min originally, and then he got the 5 min later. Same thing happens to a bunch of players on many plays, and he's the one who gets that call

Dramageek 05-01-2017 05:09 PM

Jesus Christ, Pens, stop committing every strict liability penalty in the books!

mthawk07 05-01-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

The Tom Brady of the NHL. :rolleyes

bradshaw06 05-01-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 16779329)
The Tom Brady of the NHL. :rolleyes

Oh please.

hailtopitt 05-01-2017 05:24 PM

Season over

Thanks Niskanen

bradshaw06 05-01-2017 05:27 PM

Just terrible.

fonzz41 05-01-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16779325)
Amazing how two different fans see it differently. I think the penalty is right but I also don't think the intent was to get him to the head cause Crosby was falling but you gotta call it.

Yes, in the end intent doesn't matter. We talk about it all the time in here. If Crosby wasn't falling, Niskanen would've got him in the arm/chest. I totally believe that's what he was going for. But he DID hit him in the head. Have to call that. since it's straight to the head, 5 minutes is not egregious.

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Reason I said this is because last week, exact same thing happened to Ovechkin. And it resulted in a 2 min minor.

Refs originally called 2 min minor and changed it.

IMO, a 5 min major and game misconduct penalties require intent, and you know an actual dirty hit. Not a freak accident

Edit: I hope Crosby is ok

aeroshady 05-01-2017 05:40 PM

Sucks if it is a concussion for Crosby. The Pens have really looked like the best team in the playoffs and it would be really unfortunate if an injury is what costs them the cup.

TMoore4075 05-01-2017 05:41 PM

Crosbys leg seems to be the issue and that could be worse than the head depending. If he's gone for the series and the Caps don't win, they don't deserve it. Hope he's back though cause don't like to see that and have a team's season decided like that's. As the Pens just scored.

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 05:42 PM

This is interference

Dramageek 05-01-2017 05:42 PM

Well that was a fun run. Fuck you Niskanen (though I actually agree it didn't look intentional in any way.)

You never know given how inconsistent it's been called, but that's likely interference.

Or not!

mthawk07 05-01-2017 05:44 PM

Absolute horseshit if this isn't overturned.

TMoore4075 05-01-2017 05:45 PM

I'm 50/50 on that goal. If I was a Pens fan I'd think good, if I'm a Caps fan I'd say no.

Brohan_Santana 05-01-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16779359)
I'm 50/50 on that goal. If I was a Pens fan I'd think good, if I'm a Caps fan I'd say no.

Kunitz physically moves Holtby's pad, the same pad that was stopping the goal. If that's not interference I don't know what is

aeroshady 05-01-2017 05:47 PM

I agree with the no goal.

1) Possible kicking motion
2) Possible goalie interference
3) Possible Net Off

That is enough for me.