Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 01-17-2017 09:23 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

:lol Apparently U2 is a divisive band here in the NHL thread.

lockman21 01-17-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16685515)
I love Landeskog so much. Think Peter Forsberg, but better ankles. I would especially like to see the levels he could get to under the guiding hand of some of the guys I mentioned above.

Cons: He bears some personal responsibility for this certainly, but I think he's fallen victim to the (lack of) culture in Colorado. He works exceptionally hard, but that hard work goes to naught if there's nothing you're working towards, you know? Also, gets hot-headed at times. Never flies COMPLETELY off the handle, but has been known to go cheap at times.

However....

Pros: Power skater. Not the fastest, but moves hard and can still keep up. Great nose for the net, gets to the right spots in the offensive zone. Mostly a scorer skillset, but capable passer with great vision and a slick saucer pass. Great at using his body to protect the puck and is difficult to move off it. Loves to backcheck. Above-average hitter for his skill level - will punish you if your head is down or if you go into the corners with him. Never takes a shift off. Great teammate who will stick up for anyone on the roster in a heartbeat. Leader. If you're only looking at the stat sheet and not watching him in-game, you're missing so much of what he does.

EDIT: Just thinking about the things he could do playing with Patrick Kane gives me a halfsie.

Some reports have said teams are balking at Sakic's asking price for Landeskog. If so, they are not looking at what he still COULD be. I would love to see him stay in Colorado, under a different coach and with some better direction.

Awesome, I love it.

I was saying that I think that Sakic's asking price is just the starting point for negotiations. He knows he has time. You start by asking for the moon and hope to land somewhere in the middle. I think that the Kessel and Hall deals really are around where Landy is...and I think those two probably would still command more than Landy. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a top D prospect and a high pick land Landeskog (w/ some salary retained).

We'll see though. Hawks need help. They're one or two pieces short of the puzzle right now. Hossa is only producing when he's opposite Panarin, and Toews isn't producing at all. They need help on that 1LW slot. Vanek, Landy, JvR and Patrick Sharp all look like possibilities. We'll see what happens.

JvR is probably my top pick (assuming salary retention on all of these to make it work), then Landeskog > Vanek > Sharp. But since Toronto is actually competing, I don't know if they move him. They might, as they know they're likely still a year or two away from really competing, but who knows.

I just don't know how the Hawks make Landy's cap situation work with Panarin's new deal kicking in next year. Maybe they know something I don't?

fonzz41 01-17-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16687597)
Awesome, I love it.

I was saying that I think that Sakic's asking price is just the starting point for negotiations. He knows he has time. You start by asking for the moon and hope to land somewhere in the middle. I think that the Kessel and Hall deals really are around where Landy is...and I think those two probably would still command more than Landy. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a top D prospect and a high pick land Landeskog (w/ some salary retained).

We'll see though. Hawks need help. They're one or two pieces short of the puzzle right now. Hossa is only producing when he's opposite Panarin, and Toews isn't producing at all. They need help on that 1LW slot. Vanek, Landy, JvR and Patrick Sharp all look like possibilities. We'll see what happens.

JvR is probably my top pick (assuming salary retention on all of these to make it work), then Landeskog > Vanek > Sharp. But since Toronto is actually competing, I don't know if they move him. They might, as they know they're likely still a year or two away from really competing, but who knows.

I just don't know how the Hawks make Landy's cap situation work with Panarin's new deal kicking in next year. Maybe they know something I don't?

I think if Sakic can find a way to keep Landy while still upgrading the roster, he'll try. If he could move someone like Duchene or Barrie instead, he definitely would. Landeskog is everything you want on your team, I think he just needs a little more direction.

As far as making the cap situation work, I've got a couple ideas, one that rhymes with Trent Zeabrook...

barbogast 01-17-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16686965)
Anyone who thinks this has zero taste in music. I can't even begin to think about what kind of music you all like and I am surprised to find you on a DMB fan page because most people I know that hate U2 listen to club house music and go to EDM shows.

Anyway, shit show of a hockey game last night. NHL wishes they had more games like that.

:lol :lol that's quite the excited reaction. U2 sucks bro. My taste in music is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16687261)
Geese, didn't mean to hit a soft spot.

U2's music is not appealing to me in any way. And I still have good taste in music. A lot of people don't like U2 actually. On top of that I couldn't ever bring myself to give Bono money.

This.

aeroshady 01-17-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16687763)
:lol :lol that's quite the excited reaction. U2 sucks bro. My taste in music is fine.

Everyone thinks they have good taste in music...does not make it reality. U2 just sold out stadiums all over the world today. Not bad for a band starting in 1976.

Also, I like U2 for sure, but I was mainly trying to get tickets because U2 + The lumineers was a great way to see two bands at once. I was already planing on seeing the Lumineers at MSG this year, but thought I would hold out to add in U2.

My reaction is aimed at people saying U2 sucks more than it is about my love for the band. Saying a legendary band, and one of the most popular bands in the world, sucks, is to me dumb and is just an opinion, not fact.

I do have a hard time believing someone could not find a single song that they enjoyed from a band that has such a large selections of songs. I have had this same argument many times with friends about DMB.

If your dislike is because of Bono (and his politics), I can understand it a little more. I still think people should separate the art from the artist though.

Finally, I am upset because I had to turn down free tickets to the Rangers game tonight because of a curling tournament I am in. I hate passing on free games to MSG! I can't believe I might miss more stick breaking by JB!

fonzz41 01-17-2017 11:26 AM

U2 is weird for me. There is some stuff of theirs that I've heard and that I never care to hear again. Doesn't do anything for me. Outside of Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind (both great albums), it's pretty hit or miss.

But the stuff I do like, I LOVE. Like, I wouldn't put U2 in my top 20 favorite bands (probably not even top 30), but Where the Streets Have No Name is easily one of my favorite all-time songs.

aeroshady 01-17-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16687911)
U2 is weird for me. There is some stuff of theirs that I've heard and that I never care to hear again. Doesn't do anything for me. Outside of Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind (both great albums), it's pretty hit or miss.

But the stuff I do like, I LOVE. Like, I wouldn't put U2 in my top 20 favorite bands (probably not even top 30), but Where the Streets Have No Name is easily one of my favorite all-time songs.

:thumbsup

I am pretty similar with my liking of U2. I hear they put on an amazing show though. I would like to add them to the list of bands I have seen live at least once. Sadly, I got shut out of tickets today. They sold out very quickly today.

Edit: BTW Barbs, I meant to put a [ :lol ] when talking about how everyone thinks they have good taste in music. Without it, it makes my post seem way more serious than I intended it to be.

barbogast 01-17-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16687893)
Everyone thinks they have good taste in music...does not make it reality. U2 just sold out stadiums all over the world today. Not bad for a band starting in 1976.

Also, I like U2 for sure, but I was mainly trying to get tickets because U2 + The lumineers was a great way to see two bands at once. I was already planing on seeing the Lumineers at MSG this year, but thought I would hold out to add in U2.

My reaction is aimed at people saying U2 sucks more than it is about my love for the band. Saying a legendary band, and one of the most popular bands in the world, sucks, is to me dumb and is just an opinion, not fact.

I do have a hard time believing someone could not find a single song that they enjoyed from a band that has such a large selections of songs. I have had this same argument many times with friends about DMB.

If your dislike is because of Bono (and his politics), I can understand it a little more. I still think people should separate the art from the artist though.

Finally, I am upset because I had to turn down free tickets to the Rangers game tonight because of a curling tournament I am in. I hate passing on free games to MSG! I can't believe I might miss more stick breaking by JB!

Of course it's my opinion. That much should be obvious. It's fine if you think my opinion is dumb. I also think the Rolling Stones suck. You probably will find that dumb.

edit: also it really doesn't matter how many tickets a band can or can't sell, that doesn't affect how I feel about their music

TMoore4075 01-17-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16687911)

All I Want Is You and Bad are two of their songs that if they come on shuffle, I do not skip.

Their recent albums have kinda blown but I've also heard their shows are amazing and to see Lumineers with them would be awesome but they weren't coming near me.

Roose13 01-17-2017 11:47 AM

Obligatory "U2 sucks" comment

TMoore4075 01-17-2017 12:00 PM

Jack Capuano out and Dougie Weight the interim coach. Figured it had to happen eventually but surprised it happens after a win like that.

aeroshady 01-17-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16687953)
Of course it's my opinion. That much should be obvious. It's fine if you think my opinion is dumb. I also think the Rolling Stones suck. You probably will find that dumb.

edit: also it really doesn't matter how many tickets a band can or can't sell, that doesn't affect how I feel about their music

Sorry man, I am not trying to give you a hard time about your opinion to be honest. I guess I should have pointed out that people stating opinion as fact (via sentence structure) is one of my pet-peeves. For some reason it bothers me when people don't actually say "in my opinion," before saying something like "____ sucks." I just find that I can't help but argue a point when an opinion is worded as a matter of fact statement.

lockman21 01-17-2017 12:16 PM

I hate the "sells out stadiums" = good argument.

There's lots of garbage that sells lots of tickets/albums.

aeroshady 01-17-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16688048)
I hate the "sells out stadiums" = good argument.

There's lots of garbage that sells lots of tickets/albums.

Yes, I agree. However, I would argue that the garbage you speak of is not able to sustain that for decades of success. Hell, even DMB can't sell out stadiums anymore...

lockman21 01-17-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16688073)
Yes, I agree. However, I would argue that the garbage you speak of is not able to sustain that for decades of success. Hell, even DMB can't sell out stadiums anymore...

That's because the biggest artists of the 70's, etc. were all that type of music. I mean, I'm not saying my opinion on these bands, but is AC/DC "good"? Kiss? Guns N Roses? Bon Jovi? There are plenty of people that would argue they aren't "good" music, and they still sell plenty of tickets.

For recent success that is still sustained - Britney Spears seems to be doing just fine. Kid Rock sells out stadiums, doesn't he? Keith Urban/Tim McGraw/country whatever. Madonna. Do people who don't like them have shit taste in music?

It's not all the Beiber's of the world. Obviously Katy Perry and Lady Gaga still pump out plenty of tickets, but they don't have the time to back it up as much yet.

aeroshady 01-17-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16688091)
That's because the biggest artists of the 70's, etc. were all that type of music. I mean, I'm not saying my opinion on these bands, but is AC/DC "good"? Kiss? Guns N Roses? Bon Jovi? There are plenty of people that would argue they aren't "good" music, and they still sell plenty of tickets.

For recent success that is still sustained - Britney Spears seems to be doing just fine. Kid Rock sells out stadiums, doesn't he? Keith Urban/Tim McGraw/country whatever. Madonna. Do people who don't like them have shit taste in music?

It's not all the Beiber's of the world. Obviously Katy Perry and Lady Gaga still pump out plenty of tickets, but they don't have the time to back it up as much yet.

I mean, I see your point, but I would argue that U2 is doing this all over the world. That is pretty crazy to think about.

Also, to the bands you listed about being good or not: That is a different argument now because you are changing the subject to a more broad question of "do you like rock or not?" Obviously people who just don't like the type of music are not going to like U2. I would hope they could still appreciate and respect the band and what they have accomplished though.

As far as Britney Spears and Madonna go: they were the queens of their style of music. Just like Michael Jackson, The Beatles, The Stones or even Frank Sinatra. I actually don't believe that Katy Perry will be able to sell out stadiums 10 years from now. I have no clue about Kid Rock, but I would be surprised if you showed me him doing a solo stadium tour....

Attendance does have to count for something....

fonzz41 01-17-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16688004)
Jack Capuano out and Dougie Weight the interim coach. Figured it had to happen eventually but surprised it happens after a win like that.

Wonder if Weight keeps the job. Seems like I've heard talk that he should be the natural successor.

Sal - thoughts?

aeroshady 01-17-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16688143)
Wonder if Weight keeps the job. Seems like I've heard talk that he should be the natural successor.

Sal - thoughts?

I doubt he will to be honest. The Islanders need an overhaul from top-to-bottom. They should start with firing Garth Snow. I was hoping a new era of Rangers vs. Islanders rivalry was coming...but that organization seems hopeless most of the time.

TMoore4075 01-17-2017 01:11 PM

I don't know about the details of that org but Snow should be gone too. Time to get a fresh look on things.

fonzz41 01-17-2017 01:13 PM

Wait, are we talking about the Avalanche, or the Islanders?

;) :lol :lorraine

fonzz41 01-17-2017 01:16 PM

Whoa if true (haven't bothered to verify the Middleton part, but hey, whatevs)

https://twitter.com/lindacohn/status/821434628259061761

Dramageek 01-17-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16688195)
Whoa if true (haven't bothered to verify the Middleton part, but hey, whatevs)

https://twitter.com/lindacohn/status/821434628259061761

It's true. All of it.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...s-leaders.html

barbogast 01-17-2017 01:29 PM

Gee whoopie. Go Sidney.

TheLastPig 01-17-2017 01:31 PM

That's pretty crazy.

Roose13 01-17-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16688211)

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/upl...akens7Text.gif

Dramageek 01-17-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16688352)

Thank you. :thumbsup

dmbetc 01-17-2017 06:21 PM

Quite the Spurgeon goal!

https://youtu.be/P5kmYFo7ZTo

Chumlee67 01-17-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16688522)
Quite the Spurgeon goal!

Talk about hand-eye coordination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roose13 01-17-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16688522)
Quite the Spurgeon goal!

That was rad

fonzz41 01-17-2017 07:22 PM

You beat me to posting that Spurgeon goal. Pure beauty.

And Chris, see what I'm talking about with Landeskog?