Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 01-07-2016 06:43 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16241584)
Interesting... as a D-man, I always liked the stiffer sticks. But hey, whatever makes you comfy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16241747)

That's what I was thinking. I mean the Foote obsession was a little crazy.

fonzz41 01-07-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16241674)
Different era though when I played. I was not one of the giant hard hitting D men we have today. I was quick, good at passing and shooting from the blue line with wristers or slapshots. Like I said, I was only 6 feet tall and 175 pounds so I wanted a quicker stick and back then that was the perfect stick for me after those old Titan Turbo sticks went out of style (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...52299995580783) - still have my old Graf skates though, love those damn things! :)

:lol How much older are you than me? I graduated high school in '03... I can't imagine you're too much older. And I hear you about being a smaller d-man. At my "prime" (:lol) in college, I was 5'10 and maybe 145.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16241747)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

Seriously though, I still rock a 87 flex, but have been starting to feel like I should step it up a little to something stiffer.

Seriously, I wrote that and thought, "here come the dick jokes." Still posted it. Boom.

Mine is just a preference, I totally get the folks that like the torque and such from lighter sticks. No hate here. My sticks just always end up taking a beating (phrasing!) and I like 'em to be hardy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16241751)
That's what I was thinking. I mean the Foote obsession was a little crazy.

I know you mean this in a man-love way, but the Foote love actually DOES add to the stiffer flex preference. I mean, the lighter flex sticks would break too easily when I was crosschecking someone in the back.

TMoore4075 01-08-2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16241837)
I know you mean this in a man-love way, but the Foote love actually DOES add to the stiffer flex preference. I mean, the lighter flex sticks would break too easily when I was crosschecking someone in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKusPhRHAM

;)

Being an old man I sure didn't stay up for the Wings game but nice to see the result. Mrazek was phenomenal again. Howard will almost certainly be dealt in the offseason. Mrazek is gonna get a nice raise, although probably short term for now, and you can't have two goalies making a combined 8-9mil, unless you are the Stars.

Nice start to a 6 game road trip going 3-0 so far and haven't played their best hockey but these grind it out games help you in the long run. At the start of the trip I thought 4-1-1 would be a great trip so they are on their way.

barbogast 01-08-2016 05:39 AM

Caps won. Again. No big deal or anything.

aeroshady 01-08-2016 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16241964)
Caps won. Again. No big deal or anything.

Who would have thought that the Caps would get overshadowed by the Cats?? :lol

The Florida Panthers have won 11 straight games.

^Just wanted to type a sentence I have never typed before.

TMoore4075 01-08-2016 05:49 AM

I keep waiting for the Panthers to fall back down. So far they clearly haven't.

aeroshady 01-08-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16241986)

It is pretty fun to watch that team finally have success. I am loving it. Then again, the Rangers are not in the same division as the Cats.

Would be cool to see them win a playoff round or two though.

fonzz41 01-08-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16241953)

:lol Kozlov giving Foote a taste of his own medicine.

That image of bleeding Foote throwing off his helmet and just indignant is like the prototypical picture of him. Should be at the HHOF.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16241986)

While they still lack a real superstar or two, the Panthers are a REALLY well built team. Just tons of great character guys who work hard and score by committee. I don't think the signing of Jagr and the impact he's had - particularly on his linemates - can be understated. He's shown them how a hall of famer works, while still keeping that carefree Jagr attitude. It really seems like he's having a blast playing hockey right now.

hailtopitt 01-08-2016 07:11 AM

really nice to see the pittsburgh influence trickling into the NHL more and more every year

John Gibson & Brandon Saad both made the ASG this year...my best friend's cousin is Vincent Trochek who is turning into a nice piece of the Florida Panthers' puzzle. not to mention RJ Umberger, Matt Bartkowski, and the troubled, yet once effective Ryan Malone

in the mid 80's there were 18 rinks for organized hockey. today we're close to 60 in the pittsburgh area. Thanks Mario & Sid

Lcsulla 01-08-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16241837)
:lol How much older are you than me? I graduated high school in '03... I can't imagine you're too much older. And I hear you about being a smaller d-man. At my "prime" (:lol) in college, I was 5'10 and maybe 145.

I graduated in 1995 actually, hell I had undergrad and masters degrees before you were out of HS. :lol

As for the stick, I think it is just a preference thing on what you like. That stick just felt like it was a part of me from the minute I touched it on the ice. When I started using that stick my game got much better, I could zip by opponents, take the puck to the net better and place it where I wanted, my passing accuracy improved and my defense went up quite a bit because I could get that thing in the right place far quicker to block a shot, poke check, raise a FWD's stick and steal the puck, clear the zone, etc, etc - heck I even drew more penalties because if the ref saw a stick shatter they'd send the other guy off for slashing usually. All an opinion thing, we all have sticks we swear by and to be honest if they still made that particular stick I would be be using it to this day when I go play pick up games.

TMoore4075 01-08-2016 10:44 AM

Apparently the NHL will holding a special meeting that will be about expansion. Not necessarily a decision coming from it but might be getting closer to one. I'm having stronger doubts about Quebec. Vegas I think happens.

dmbetc 01-08-2016 11:46 AM

Vinny and Schenn looked good, considering they were thrown in the mix quickly. Vinny picks up his first point as a King with a nice assist.

They make the Kings looks bigger and stronger then before.

Lcsulla 01-08-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16242643)
Vinny and Schenn looked good, considering they were thrown in the mix quickly. Vinny picks up his first point as a King with a nice assist.

They make the Kings looks bigger and stronger then before.

They should run away with that division because outside of AZ, and to a lesser extent Vancouver none of those teams impress me all that much.

fonzz41 01-08-2016 02:53 PM

I love that the Coyotes (44 pts) and Canucks (41 pts) are currently in the top 3 in the Pacific and in the playoffs (for now), while the Avs at 43 points are still 2 points out of a wild card spot, which is really all they can expect to grab at this point.

Not complaining (the Avs dug themselves into this hole), just crazy the difference between the Pacific and Central.

lockman21 01-08-2016 04:04 PM

Pacific is a joke. So bad.

mr.MikeD 01-08-2016 04:12 PM

i'm hoping the Pacific joke is the oilers way into the playoffs this year. Hard to believe that is still possible.

fonzz41 01-08-2016 06:18 PM

Johansen already with a goal for the Preds.

Lcsulla 01-08-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16243097)
Johansen already with a goal for the Preds.

That was one hell of a shot too.

Nice win for the Hawks again - great to see Danault get his first NHL goal!!!

salrx95 01-09-2016 05:06 AM

Nice to see Marcus Johanssen get suspended for that hit to the head. Now it likely would not have mattered since the Caps were the better team Thursday but if they called that a major, maybe that changes the entire dynamic of the game if we capitalize on that major in the first period.

barbogast 01-09-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16243244)
Nice to see Marcus Johanssen get suspended for that hit to the head. Now it likely would not have mattered since the Caps were the better team Thursday but if they called that a major, maybe that changes the entire dynamic of the game if we capitalize on that major in the first period.

Personally I think the suspension is beyond excessive. We're talking about Marcus Johanssen here, a player with 3 minor penalties in 39 games going into the game the other night. Obviously it wasn't a great hit, but considering a) it's Johanssen and he is the definition of a clean player b) Hickey wasn't hurt at all, which I think is a terrible way to determine suspension length but it's how the NHL does it and c) even Hickey said afterwards that he was quite sure there was zero maliciousness behind it and it was "50% my fault for being so low" (yes that's a quote), I think two games is pretty ridiculous.

Again. This is Marcus freakin' Johanssen. He didn't really need to drive his shoulder up like he did, and it was a hit that definitely deserved a talk with player safety. I think considering who the player is and the circumstances of the hit, a fine would've been more than adequate.

salrx95 01-09-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16243267)
Personally I think the suspension is beyond excessive. We're talking about Marcus Johanssen here, a player with 3 minor penalties in 39 games going into the game the other night. Obviously it wasn't a great hit, but considering a) it's Johanssen and he is the definition of a clean player b) Hickey wasn't hurt at all, which I think is a terrible way to determine suspension length but it's how the NHL does it and c) even Hickey said afterwards that he was quite sure there was zero maliciousness behind it and it was "50% my fault for being so low" (yes that's a quote), I think two games is pretty ridiculous.

Again. This is Marcus freakin' Johanssen. He didn't really need to drive his shoulder up like he did, and it was a hit that definitely deserved a talk with player safety. I think considering who the player is and the circumstances of the hit, a fine would've been more than adequate.

Why should it matter if he is clean player? Reputation shouldn't matter when determining suspension or not, just length. It was not a good hit. I wanted a major. I almost think if he got the major and game misconduct he doesn't get the 2 games. NHL is wonky that way.

barbogast 01-09-2016 07:13 AM

I mean I'm sure you wanted a major, but it just wasn't that. We're talking about a hit that was legal up until a few years ago.

And stuff like reputation and injury causation shouldn't be factors in deciding suspensions, I agree. But they are. One thing we can definitely agree on: the nhl is wonky about this stuff. Zero consistency, fully unpredictable from case to case.

mr.MikeD 01-09-2016 08:44 AM

So the Oilers score 5 and lose 3-2... Taylor Hall had a beauty deflection, especially if you ignore that it was into his own net.

JRS1386 01-09-2016 12:54 PM

Flyers with another win. Mason gets the shutout. Team doing much better than their shitty West Coast swing

barbogast 01-09-2016 02:40 PM

Didn't get to watch the game today but it sounds like it was a good one. Not thrilled to see the Caps blew a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd but it's pretty impressive how resilient they've been this season. Ovie up to 499 now. Hopefully tomorrow he'll get the big one at home.

TMoore4075 01-09-2016 05:21 PM

Jackets sure are rolling after that trade. Rolling down the hill that is.

salrx95 01-09-2016 06:56 PM

Always great to see the Maple Laughs get slaughtered. 7-0. Wow.

Bron Yr Aur 01-10-2016 07:58 AM

Caps look pretty damn legit this year. That nyr - wsh game was pretty wild.

TMoore4075 01-11-2016 05:52 AM

First, congrats to Ovie on 500. We give him and the Caps shit, but that's still impressive. The only guys faster to 500 was Gretzky (in 575 games lol lol lol) Mario, Bossy and Brett Hull. Not bad company.

And now (for a dig at the Caps) a team who has won a Cup, the Wings are 4-0 (all by 1 goal, also have 17 1 goal wins this season) on the 6 game road trip so far. I said the other day 4-1-1 would be great so they are pretty much there. But thanks to the Caps for beating the Sens. Keeps them behind my Wings.

JRS1386 01-11-2016 06:06 AM

Caps are nothing until they prove themselves in the playoffs. They shouldn't worry anyone until they can prove it in the spring