Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Last Stop (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=356873)

BrokenThings#41 11-15-2021 09:44 AM

Last Stop

Will we ever get the Real Last Stop back? The song without the outro is not really what we all want.. it butchers the thing.. no last stop is better than truncated last stop…

The last time we heard the full version was Gorge 2018. It was very long with Hamilton de Holanda… an excellent version if you haven’t heard it..

But if you watch the video, Hamilton is going off on a jam , and in his own world similar to Boyd, and Dave is trying to get his attention, looking back at Carter and laughing as the song is approaching 12-13 minutes now.. Hamilton just keeps jamming.. Dave is beyond ready to end it..

I think this moment is why we don’t have the full version..

Vorony 11-15-2021 09:53 AM

Re: Last Stop

That is not the reason we aren’t getting the full version these days. It’s 100% on Carter and his ability to make it through that outro.

OneSweetMonkey 11-15-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenThings#41 (Post 18080339)
Will we ever get the Real Last Stop back? The song without the outro is not really what we all want.. it butchers the thing.. no last stop is better than truncated last stop…

The last time we heard the full version was Gorge 2018. It was very long with Hamilton de Holanda… an excellent version if you haven’t heard it..

But if you watch the video, Hamilton is going off on a jam , and in his own world similar to Boyd, and Dave is trying to get his attention, looking back at Carter and laughing as the song is approaching 12-13 minutes now.. Hamilton just keeps jamming.. Dave is beyond ready to end it..

I think this moment is why we don’t have the full version..

False.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorony (Post 18080346)
That is not the reason we aren’t getting the full version these days. It’s 100% on Carter and his ability to make it through that outro.

This. It's the same reason why Two Step is barely played.

It just is what it is. My man Carter is 63 years old. His style of playing has calmed down significantly. Just look at the end jam of Crush.

That being said... "calmed down significantly" for Carter is still wicked crazy.

btpeters 11-15-2021 11:14 AM

You're telling you'd prefer Shake Me, Bayou or Can't Stop over the front half of Last Stop? I'd take a verses and choruses only Last Stop over a lot of the catalog.

nick45 11-15-2021 11:30 AM

This guy again? Trolling every chance he can. Piss off ya wanker! I was at MSG for both nights, the band is excellent, the songs were on point. I’m sorry you can’t experience it live like it should be, but give it a rest man.

BrokenThings#41 11-15-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick45 (Post 18080394)
This guy again? Trolling every chance he can. Piss off ya wanker! I was at MSG for both nights, the band is excellent, the songs were on point. I’m sorry you can’t experience it live like it should be, but give it a rest man.

Sorry you don’t share the same opinion but your vitriol towards this is a little over the top no? Just trying to have a conversation here.

TwoStep2888 11-15-2021 12:11 PM

yeah the outro is what makes the song for me, shame it's gone

BrokenThings#41 11-15-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 18080417)
yeah the outro is what makes the song for me, shame it's gone

Yes. A shortened two step works or segue into whatever.. the entire best part of LS is the outro.. always has been…

I don’t but that it’s Carter.. because they still do tons of 2-3 song segues that end up being 12-15 minutes with no break. SMTS - ASTB - Too Much is 15 min easy.. Jimi into cover sing is 15 plus…

YouNeverKnow25 11-15-2021 12:27 PM

I tell myself they took it off in order to bring it back at a really cool moment, but I don't really believe that

splack03 11-15-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenThings#41 (Post 18080415)
Sorry you don’t share the same opinion but your vitriol towards this is a little over the top no? Just trying to have a conversation here.

No you're not, you made that comment purposely to draw a reaction. It's a reasonable conversation starter to ask whether we will ever see a full Last Stop again, but you casually throw in a "no Last Stop is better than truncated Last Stop" line. You knew exactly what you were doing.

It's completely your opinion, of course. But I can't believe someone exists who loves the full Last Stop but hates a truncated Last Stop so much that you would rather get SMLAM. I truly don't believe it for a second.

BrokenThings#41 11-15-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splack03 (Post 18080453)
No you're not, you made that comment purposely to draw a reaction. It's a reasonable conversation starter to ask whether we will ever see a full Last Stop again, but you casually throw in a "no Last Stop is better than truncated Last Stop" line. You knew exactly what you were doing.

It's completely your opinion, of course. But I can't believe someone exists who loves the full Last Stop but hates a truncated Last Stop so much that you would rather get SMLAM. I truly don't believe it for a second.

Ummmmi didn’t say exchange it for SMLAM did I?? Anywhere?? You guys brought that in.. to justify the troll commenting.. lots of great tunes to exchange it with.. that would be better than the 4 min watered down LS.. it is MY opinion..

kenticus 11-15-2021 02:07 PM

No way it’s due to Carter - the outro to last stop doesn’t have to be nor is by no means the craziest most taxing thing on drums. I mean unless I’m crazy feels like a song like Halloween is more of a workout than the last stop outro even though Halloween is only 5 mins long.

RSSR 11-15-2021 02:14 PM

I guess I have enough released The Last Stop in LTs, and the other live releases if Carter is having troubles, to satiate me. I'm fortunate I caught a full performance with Boyd, and saw it released. Not a big deal for me.

splack03 11-15-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenThings#41 (Post 18080469)
Ummmmi didn’t say exchange it for SMLAM did I?? Anywhere?? You guys brought that in.. to justify the troll commenting.. lots of great tunes to exchange it with.. that would be better than the 4 min watered down LS.. it is MY opinion..

Ok I'll push you one more time. You did say no Last Stop is better than truncated Last Stop.

So are you saying you would have preferred if MSG N2 ended just with Christmas Song, Ants Marching?

SeanMH 11-16-2021 12:27 PM

I love the truncated last stop. When i listen to the CP bonus version (which is the best version btw) i skip to the next song once the singing is over.

SeekUpTheCubs 11-16-2021 03:57 PM

short version makes me sad, but it's still good. if it really is a Carter problem, might be time to have a second percussionist alongside him

ToySoldier#34 11-16-2021 04:07 PM

There's so much good music in truncated Last Stop, the lyrics are the point of the song, gives it all of its meaning and imagery. The full version is better but I'd happily take truncated Last Stop any day.

Strokjl 09-04-2023 08:40 AM

Short Stop makes me irrationally angry. It is worse than not playing it at all. Easily some of the best music they’ve created, and it’s been benched like the third verse.

That’s it, I just needed to vent to people who would understand what I’m saying.

Dannyyankou 09-04-2023 09:44 AM

If we're being technical the "truncated" Last Stop has all the lyrics and verses of the studio version. It's just the reprise at the end of Spoon that's missing.

BTBaboon 09-04-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18080500)
I guess I have enough released The Last Stop in LTs, and the other live releases if Carter is having troubles, to satiate me. I'm fortunate I caught a full performance with Boyd, and saw it released. Not a big deal for me.

I mean, if that's the approach, no need to really go to a live show anymore - plenty of live releases throughout the catalog of the good songs...

Useliteski 09-04-2023 10:12 AM

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, this band is that they're absolute peak.
This is not an issue

BTBaboon 09-04-2023 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18465122)
If we're being technical the "truncated" Last Stop has all the lyrics and verses of the studio version. It's just the reprise at the end of Spoon that's missing.

The reprise is what makes the song so beloved. Without the reprise, the song is all tension and no release.

I understand Carter has his limitations. But I question A) the creativity if they cannot figure out how to make it work the one time they play it every other year, and B) how much different a truncated Last Stop -> Halloween at the end of the encore of a 3 night run is for Carter than a fully played Last Stop just in general.

Dannyyankou 09-04-2023 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 18465160)
The reprise is what makes the song so beloved. Without the reprise, the song is all tension and no release.

I understand Carter has his limitations. But I question A) the creativity if they cannot figure out how to make it work the one time they play it every other year, and B) how much different a truncated Last Stop -> Halloween at the end of the encore of a 3 night run is for Carter than a fully played Last Stop just in general.

What I'm curious is if people had to choose, would they rather hear a "full" last stop in the encore, or "half stop" > Halloween? It's close for me.

haiku.warrior 09-04-2023 11:13 AM

I'm calling bull on it being a "Carter issue" when N1 had a Pig > Crush encore (~20m) and N2 had a full Two Step. I really don't see any reason why they can't spare another 5ish minutes and just finish the damn song

joshg 09-04-2023 11:25 AM

Would the full song have been better? Of course.
Was it beautiful to get that Halloween? Omg, yes.

dmb_1981 09-04-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku.warrior (Post 18465210)
I'm calling bull on it being a "Carter issue" when N1 had a Pig > Crush encore (~20m) and N2 had a full Two Step. I really don't see any reason why they can't spare another 5ish minutes and just finish the damn song

Has NOTHING to do with Carter. Thinking so is laughable. See above.

alec 09-04-2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18465182)
What I'm curious is if people had to choose, would they rather hear a "full" last stop in the encore, or "half stop" > Halloween? It's close for me.

For me I would go with full Last Stop without a second thought. I like Halloween, but I actually don’t really like it live the way they have been playing it since 2000ish. It has zero dynamics.

(Maybe I should have said that in unpopular opinions thread).

hopewelljones 09-04-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 18465160)

:thumbsup:thumbsup

bowa36 09-04-2023 01:50 PM

I guess they just feel like playing it that way. It'll come back around. It's like the truncated Recently

Alpine416 09-04-2023 02:04 PM

The last stop jam and reprise is quite possibly one of the most gratifying experiences in music. That being said I don't get how you can belove the studio version of last stop or just the song itself in general and act like it is a dud when they just play the main part of the song...

Of course the reprise enhances the experience ten fold but it is still The Last Stop.