Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I Can See Clearly Now video (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=356886)

Dodo36 11-23-2021 04:09 PM

I Can See Clearly Now video

No idea how I missed this last year, but damn I've never heard Dave's voice this solid, crisp, clear, and beautiful. The song is straight cheese, and I've always thought so, but his vocal quality on that video is superb!

https://vimeo.com/480511203

I apologize if there was already a thread on this. The search gave me no results.

UrsadonDMB 11-23-2021 04:21 PM

Re: I Can See Clearly Now video

Never saw this, it's great!

paulg83 11-24-2021 09:45 AM

Loved it, nice find!

artiej1120 11-24-2021 10:41 AM

I don't know if it's Raab we have to thank but Dave's voice here and the past couple of years has been just incredible. Love this.

djamieb 11-24-2021 10:46 AM

Yeah, he sounds terrific on this. That was beautiful! :thumbsup

ToySoldier#34 11-24-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artiej1120 (Post 18085661)
I don't know if it's Raab we have to thank but Dave's voice here and the past couple of years has been just incredible. Love this.

Combination of a lot of things most likely, working with Raab, having a personal trainer on the road with them and getting in drastically better shape, living healthy etc.

Also they just did this song live a couple days ago:
https://youtu.be/_rj8yXYlhtw

8nalive 11-24-2021 08:04 PM

Are you serious? That is not Dave's voice!!

Dannyyankou 11-24-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8nalive (Post 18085903)
Are you serious? That is not Dave's voice!!

It is but it sounds very processed

Dankguitar 11-25-2021 05:18 AM

Ya they edited the shit out of his vocals but it does sound nice

alec 11-25-2021 04:33 PM

What sounds more processed/edited than usual? Nothing jumping out to me as out of the ordinary other than a bit more reverb that is typically on his voice on DMB albums.

Dodo36 11-29-2021 08:03 AM

I won't get into vocal processing discussions here. I've seen too many people not know wtf they're talking about, have only a CNN-styled knowledge of it, or just not have actual experience in doing the processing to talk eloquently about it. Yes, it's been processed. All vocals are processed these days, but they still can't fake vocal clarity or making a voice sound healthy without adding masking filters or shaping the sound differently - neither of which have occurred here. Reverb is added to everything in varying amounts and EQ is always affected somewhere along the way.

I was just getting at how Dave's voice sounds healthy in a way that would have been a jumping off point, not the end result, and how he didn't need to flip to his falsetto to hit a few of those notes as strongly as he did. Thanks Ants for reminding me why I only hang here intermittently.

jaymas9 11-29-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 18086063)
What sounds more processed/edited than usual? Nothing jumping out to me as out of the ordinary other than a bit more reverb that is typically on his voice on DMB albums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 18087132)
I won't get into vocal processing discussions here. I've seen too many people not know wtf they're talking about, have only a CNN-styled knowledge of it, or just not have actual experience in doing the processing to talk eloquently about it. Yes, it's been processed. All vocals are processed these days, but they still can't fake vocal clarity or making a voice sound healthy without adding masking filters or shaping the sound differently - neither of which have occurred here. Reverb is added to everything in varying amounts and EQ is always affected somewhere along the way.

I was just getting at how Dave's voice sounds healthy in a way that would have been a jumping off point, not the end result, and how he didn't need to flip to his falsetto to hit a few of those notes as strongly as he did. Thanks Ants for reminding me why I only hang here intermittently.

Well said.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Gunz 11-29-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 18087132)

No problem, Mr. Pompous.

Dodo36 11-29-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18087246)
No problem, Mr. Pompous.

Anytime. Give it a couple decades. You'll get there, too.

ToySoldier#34 11-29-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 18087341)

Kind of lippy

YankeesDMB41 11-29-2021 06:39 PM

No one ever talks about how Dave sounds like T-Pain on Radio City. I don't care because I love that Blu Ray, but I've always found it to be obnoxiously obvious.

Gunz 11-29-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 18087341)

Fellow Michigander. I recognize the sass anywhere :p

Thanks for sharing the video. I had never heard it before. Why is Dave obsessed with being in a TV set?

Sabres914 11-29-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18087672)
No one ever talks about how Dave sounds like T-Pain on Radio City. I don't care because I love that Blu Ray, but I've always found it to be obnoxiously obvious.

As in they overdid it with auto-tuning his voice?

Dodo36 11-30-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18087585)
Kind of lippy

the lip giveth as it taketh.

Dankguitar 11-30-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18087672)

I actually do. It’s why I find it personally don’t enjoy listening to the album. You take away the rawness of Dave’s voice and it’s just not the same. Sometimes it helps like on that version of Some Devil and on Sledgehammer from Mile High.

YankeesDMB41 11-30-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabres914 (Post 18087732)
As in they overdid it with auto-tuning his voice?

Yes, go listen to Bartender. It's very noticable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 18088176)
I actually do. It’s why I find it personally don’t enjoy listening to the album. You take away the rawness of Dave’s voice and it’s just not the same. Sometimes it helps like on that version of Some Devil and on Sledgehammer from Mile High.

Great example. That's another one that's definitely noticeable but necessary

Sabres914 11-30-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18088185)
Yes, go listen to Bartender. It's very noticable.

Don't tell me this! I absolutely love Radio City. Particularly love the Bartender opener.

YankeesDMB41 11-30-2021 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabres914 (Post 18088209)
Don't tell me this! I absolutely love Radio City. Particularly love the Bartender opener.

I'm no audio snob or music nerd, but you're really telling me you've never noticed it? It doesn't impact my love for it, but it always pops in my head when
I listen.

alec 12-01-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 18088176)

Another really bad offender is the Gorge 2002 DVD/CD (not the entire box set).
One that really gets me is DIDO when Dave slides from a low to high note. You can hear the autotune trying to stop at each note chromatically all the way up.

ToySoldier#34 12-01-2021 08:05 AM

I'm half expecting Dodo to chime in that there's different types of pitch adjusting software and it isn't always auto-tune but we'd only know that if we were informed musically

Alec - musician
Dank - musician

DarkClouds 12-01-2021 02:17 PM

That is an interesting sound.. It sounds a bit "overdone".. protools, autotune, Dave didn't sound THIS good even in the 90's.. his voice has a natural gravelly sound to it..

Dodo36 12-01-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18088368)
I'm half expecting Dodo to chime in that there's different types of pitch adjusting software and it isn't always auto-tune but we'd only know that if we were informed musically

Alec - musician
Dank - musician

bored much? C'mon, Man! Don't treat me like Hilly just for not letting a snide remark from the peanut gallery fly by.

I'll bet a lot on here can consider themselves musicians to varying degrees. I said nothing about musical knowledge, just that too many use a very barebones surface understand of recording as their basis for being contrary (and where's the lie? You've been here long enough to have seen it). Mixing is wholly separate from being a musician.

ToySoldier#34 12-01-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 18088709)
bored much? C'mon, Man! Don't treat me like Hilly just for not letting a snide remark from the peanut gallery fly by.

I'll bet a lot on here can consider themselves musicians to varying degrees. I said nothing about musical knowledge, just that too many use a very barebones surface understand of recording as their basis for being contrary (and where's the lie? You've been here long enough to have seen it). Mixing is wholly separate from being a musician.

Your point about his voice being healthy and not having to flip has more to do with being a vocalist than it does mixing and while I don't know the extent of Alec or Dank's studio experience plenty of musicians have enough experience to have a general conversation about his voice in studio, I just didn't think anyone was saying anything too crazy

And yeah, maybe a little bored :lol

YankeesDMB41 12-01-2021 05:02 PM

I'm not kidding, I would love to know if I'm right or wrong. I always thought Radio City was auto-tuned. He does not hit half of those notes on the original recording.

DarkClouds 12-01-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18088728)
I'm not kidding, I would love to know if I'm right or wrong. I always thought Radio City was auto-tuned. He does not hit half of those notes on the original recording.

Definitely is, but subtle and tasteful.. if we have to speculate then it was done correctly.. I bet Central Park and Listener Supporter are to a degree as well..