Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   News on DMB's new album? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=340409)

rantingthespian 04-18-2016 04:52 AM

News on DMB's new album?

Has there been any word at all on the new album? Have they been in the studio at all since the tour wrapped up? There has been almost no talk about it here on the boards, and I can't seem to find anything at all online. Have they scrapped it?

I also read somewhere that they were going to work on another album with Lillywhite, but that was scrapped and they went back to Cavallo. Is this true?

dontdrink36 04-18-2016 05:14 AM

Re: News on DMB's new album?

There is no new album.

BruceW 04-18-2016 05:27 AM

what album?

timsherry 04-18-2016 05:30 AM

My friend is seeing Jeff tonight at a clinic and said if he has the opportunity, he will ask him about it. He is on Ants so I am sure he will post about it.

GreyStreetAve 04-18-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 16376965)
Has there been any word at all on the new album? Have they been in the studio at all since the tour wrapped up? There has been almost no talk about it here on the boards, and I can't seem to find anything at all online. Have they scrapped it?

I also read somewhere that they were going to work on another album with Lillywhite, but that was scrapped and they went back to Cavallo. Is this true?

Never heard anything about them going back into the studio with Steve Lillywhite. I believe this is an evil rumor.

All we know is that they have been in and out of the studio with Rob Cavallo producing, and that there's really no rush or need to release anything anytime soon, according to Dave. Last year, Jeff Coffin / Stefan mentioned that the album was almost done and that we should see a release sometime in 2016, but Dave implied that that wasn't necessarily the case and that he is still working on the lyrics.

But this was in 2015. Who knows. Things may have changed. We know nothing.

aparker507 04-18-2016 06:06 AM

At the end of 2014, they were about to be in the mixing and mastering stage. Album was nearly complete. I have no clue what happened but obviously it was scrapped it would seem.

chadizzy1 04-18-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 16376982)
what album?

This :lol

flutterby 04-18-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16376980)
There is no new album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 16376982)
what album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16377015)
This :lol

Exactly.

rantingthespian 04-18-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsherry (Post 16376986)
My friend is seeing Jeff tonight at a clinic and said if he has the opportunity, he will ask him about it. He is on Ants so I am sure he will post about it.

I hope your friend can get some info. :thumbsup

noelle95dmb 04-18-2016 07:13 AM

"Derpa derpa derpa derpa doo doo derpa derpa derpa dooba" is the studio cut I'm looking forward to. Bright things on the horizon, folks.

Hilly 04-18-2016 07:20 AM

Keep in mind that nobody knows a thing about a new album yet. There was an announcement ages ago that they'd be working with Cavallo, but that's about it.

space_raven 04-18-2016 07:22 AM

I still would love a new Cavallo produced DMB album.

Jordan#41 04-18-2016 07:32 AM

Those "new" songs that they played last summer were miserable. Hopefully all are scrapped and never played again.

chadizzy1 04-18-2016 08:13 AM

I'm predicting Fractured Objects will be track #1.

Jadorsey34 04-18-2016 08:29 AM

It could still come out this Fall/Winter with a small Fall/Winter tour to support it. Then they take 2017 off.

blaise34 04-18-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16377236)

:bounce

Post of the day

gia_rootdivine 04-18-2016 08:37 AM

Perhaps the most substantial, and interesting, information we have, arrived last year, and it is that orchestral arrangements were recorded for about three songs.

Second to that is Dave's describing in an interview (I should try to find the exact quote and interview) that they are trying to not release what he called a "mediocre" album if instead they could be patient. He basically described realizing that at this point they don't have any pressure to release new music until it actually feels like the best new music that they can bring forth!

I think with the anniversary and tour this year, and the new music not being ready, they may have happily decided to wait, perhaps working on more new songs while touring and after, then having next year to not do many or any concerts, can work more on the new music until it has reached a great place!

#41Tom 04-18-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gia_rootdivine (Post 16377254)
Second to that is Dave's describing in an interview (I should try to find the exact quote and interview) that they are trying to not release what he called a "mediocre" album if instead they could be patient. He basically described realizing that at this point they don't have any pressure to release new music until it actually feels like the best new music that they can bring forth!

Please find the quote/link!!

BruceW 04-18-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #41Tom (Post 16377263)

It wasn't much. Just typical Dave rambling on and dodging the question. Nothing to see there honestly.

GreyStreetAve 04-18-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #41Tom (Post 16377263)

It's all pretty much implied in this article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-hero-20150928

drop2d 04-18-2016 11:17 AM

It's gotta be at least a little frustrating for the band when they spend all kinds of hours recording, etc. and Dave just goes "meh, not feeling those songs anymore"

kmb40oz 04-18-2016 12:30 PM

"Where's the Tripping Billies"?

PalisadesPark33 04-18-2016 12:51 PM

Who knows, the band could surprise us even before the tour starts and have the album out this summer. I don't know how likely that is, but is possible they would go for more of a sneak release like other bands have been trying out.

jaymas9 04-18-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 16377236)

:lol:lol:lol

snow1868 04-18-2016 12:57 PM

How many times does it need to be said there's no new album before it starts to sink in?

Hilly 04-18-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow1868 (Post 16377654)
How many times does it need to be said there's no new album before it starts to sink in?

There will be a new album.

jaymas9 04-18-2016 01:00 PM

"But at some point, we'll have an album that we'll put out for whatever reason people still do that."

If that statement doesn't inspire confidence in new work, I don't know what possibly could...

dobyblue 04-18-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16377133)
Keep in mind that nobody knows a thing about a new album yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16377659)
There will be a new album.

Il mio nome è Nessuno.

dobyblue 04-18-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan#41 (Post 16377154)
Those "new" songs that they played last summer were miserable. Hopefully all are scrapped and never played again.

They had enough material for a quadruple album, but they have scrapped last year's new tunes and are whittling down material for a triple album. Working title right now is An' Another Thing.

You may expect to hear the studio versions of Virginia, etc., in 2037 with the 20th anniversary expanded release. :thumbsup

pbrk11 04-18-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 16377663)
"But at some point, we'll have an album that we'll put out for whatever reason people still do that."

If that statement doesn't inspire confidence in new work, I don't know what possibly could...

I remember reading that and thinking the same thing, it's borderline insulting to a fan like myself that supports new music and studio recordings from this band, I have met many people that just want to hear Billies and Ants every single summer for the rest of the band's existence, with a few live shows from 23.5 years ago released quarterly....I don't know it's just frustrating they're some pretty seasoned musicians on the most professional level which should be an honor to make a piece of art in a room with mics that 65% of the public could never afford to look at, and Stefan literally tweets the album is 90 PERCENT done, Jeff says there WILL be a new DMB album in 2016.... and I gotta listen to Dave practically make a joke out of the idea of releasing new material .....it's frustrating, I want to hear this thing for whatever it is :shrug