Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seven appreciation thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354367)

haiku.warrior 06-24-2020 08:01 AM

Seven appreciation thread

For my 700th post, I figured I would make a Seven appreciation thread!

I know this song has it's haters (cue almost the whole website), but I personally love the music and Dave's vocal performance. Always a go-to when I'm in a "funny" mood. Love Tim's solo and Carter is also great on this one. Anyways, would love to see if there's some (if any!) people who love Seven as much as I do :)

space_raven 06-24-2020 09:25 AM

Re: Seven appreciation thread

i love seven. the studio version is great. such a funky song.

mquerques92 06-24-2020 09:26 AM

I love Seven. I remember hearing it for the first time at my first show at PNC Holmdel in 2014. Played right after Crush which was already my favorite

Bmwm3oz 06-24-2020 01:41 PM

Seven is one of the most interested songs in the catalog when it comes to Cater’s drumming. Anyone who is a musician understands how difficult and fun Carter’s playing is on this song.

The energy of Dave (especially since he loves this song) is about as good as it gets anymore too.

I think it’s one of those songs that has become ‘cool’ to hate on. :)

mthawk07 06-24-2020 02:16 PM

I appreciate every time I make it through a show without this being played. But it does have a cool time signature and Tim does some great work on it.

dontdrink36 06-24-2020 02:25 PM

It was so overplayed that it lost its luster with the fans on the boards. It's a really good song but it just suffered from extreme overplay for years.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-24-2020 02:25 PM

I do enjoy seven. A very odd song in every way, which I love. Not all songs need to be super serious.

Bmwm3oz 06-24-2020 02:37 PM

https://youtu.be/g0LX1WDeU8E

How people can hate the musicianship is tough for me to swallow. The horns, Carter, Stefan... just an incredible song.

Side note - I don’t remember Dave looking like this? :lol

Bearclaw_ 06-24-2020 03:14 PM

This thread and the song should be set on fire.

One of the bands worst songs. Ever.

Bmwm3oz 06-24-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ (Post 17736290)
This thread and the song should be set on fire.

One of the bands worst songs. Ever.

One of the worst posts, ever. :violent

bowa36 06-24-2020 04:27 PM

Not a big fan of listening to the song itself but it's one of the funnest songs ever to play on drums

Speilmen230 06-24-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17736268)
https://youtu.be/g0LX1WDeU8E

How people can hate the musicianship is tough for me to swallow. The horns, Carter, Stefan... just an incredible song.

Side note - I don’t remember Dave looking like this? :lol

Carter's drumming is fine. Dave's vocals on the other hand... *Shivers*

Dannyyankou 06-24-2020 04:53 PM

It’s suffered from “overplayed syndrome”, but I really like it.

haiku.warrior 06-24-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 17736334)
Carter's drumming is fine. Dave's vocals on the other hand... *Shivers*

Disagree. Dave vocals in my opinion are great and it's always fun to try and hit the high notes along with him :D

tyler3440 06-24-2020 07:26 PM

Fuck seven

TheStone91 06-24-2020 08:27 PM

Seven appreciation thread

I could never get into Seven. Also, it sucks as an opener.

It’s like Eh Hee, Rooftop, Spaceman, Funny, etc for me. Just kinda “there.”

lilant420 06-24-2020 09:34 PM

Listen to the D&T show from Oakland, CA. Seven is yelled out to be played and Dave says "f*ck Seven, no one wants to hear that sh*t!"

Madnana 06-25-2020 03:34 AM

This song has generated some great Davespeak. "This song is more than six, but less than eight" ...wow, very insightful, Dave:freak

Bearclaw_ 06-25-2020 04:36 AM

I’d rather hear Can’t Stop than Seven.

kmb40oz 06-25-2020 07:21 AM

You You You You You You You You You You You You You You You You

haiku.warrior 06-25-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17736545)
I could never get into Seven. Also, it sucks as an opener.

It’s like Eh Hee, Rooftop, Spaceman, Funny, etc for me. Just kinda “there.”

Disagree with everything in this post. Seven is a high energy opener. Also, I love every single song that you listed to death, maybe except Rooftop (the breakdown is brutal). Especially the Little Thing -> Funny 1-2 punch opener they did for a few shows in '12.

KevinTH 06-25-2020 07:45 AM

I've always liked Seven. Something about the studio version always sounded like classic-DMB to me. It's not The Stone, but it's not Come Tomorrow. Fun time signature, great work from Carter, the horns pop, and Dave's vocal delivery is fun. As someone that likes to sing and write falsetto, I've always appreciated this tune for that.

lockman21 06-25-2020 07:51 AM

This song is a prime example that just because a song has "difficult" or "complex" music does not mean it's a good song.

Is the "musicianship" incredibly high on this song? Absolutely. Is it a good song? Absolutely not. It's horrendous.

ToySoldier#34 06-25-2020 07:54 AM

Terrible song, bottom 3

Bmwm3oz 06-25-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17736720)
This song is a prime example that just because a song has "difficult" or "complex" music does not mean it's a good song.

Is the "musicianship" incredibly high on this song? Absolutely. Is it a good song? Absolutely not. It's horrendous.

I don’t know how to say this without coming across as a D bag, but I honestly believe that people who grew up playing music and still play an instrument have greater respect for complex songs, and as a result, might be more open to enjoying a song because of it.

I think you’ve got two crowds - the crowd that doesn’t know the difference between a 4/4 and a 7/8, and the crowd that understands measures, time sigs, general music theory/structure etc.

The two groups might judge music differently because of their understanding of music.

As an example, Rush is a band that gets crapped on by the general pop pretty often, but as someone who has played drums for 25 years, I consider Rush one of the most interesting bands to listen to. I don’t know if the songs are good or not, I just really like them because it’s fun to follow along and take in what they are doing.

Maybe that’s how I view Seven, I guess.

Bmwm3oz 06-25-2020 08:14 AM

For those who rank Seven as bottom three or ‘one of the worst’, if Rooftop isn’t below Seven, you have really bad taste in music :lol

ClearlakeSun25 06-25-2020 08:17 AM

Pee song

mquerques92 06-25-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17736744)
For those who rank Seven as bottom three or ‘one of the worst’, if Rooftop isn’t below Seven, you have really bad taste in music :lol

Seriously. Bottom three puts Seven on the same level as (and maybe this is just my opinion) Plastic Girl and Be Yourself. Thats just crazy talk.

Bmwm3oz 06-25-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17736760)
Seriously. Bottom three puts Seven on the same level as (and maybe this is just my opinion) Plastic Girl and Be Yourself. Thats just crazy talk.

And Stand Up, Hunger.... there is such a thing as a bad opinion, and they definitely exist in this thread :lol

ToySoldier#34 06-25-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17736763)
And Stand Up, Hunger.... there is such a thing as a bad opinion, and they definitely exist in this thread :lol

It's down there, bottom of the barrel, almost entirely because of Dave's vocals for me.