Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   AntsMarching.org Torrent & Download Information (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Importance Of Seeding (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184545)

Prez 01-10-2007 07:47 PM

Importance Of Seeding

Hi Folks,

With this new addition of the tracker to the site, I'd like to give everyone a friendly reminder as to how DMB live trading works. It is CRITICAL that when you are done with a torrent that you help seed it so that others can download it as well.
I bring this to attention because I have uploaded a few torrents and two of them have a ratio of 2 or so, and I still remain the only seeder. This means that two people just grabbed the files and didn't help seed for others. This can't happen or this entire project is going to flop. The staff has worked very hard on this tracker, please use it as it was intended to be used-sharing peer to peer torrents.

I hope you all had a safe and wonderful holiday season. And I'd like to extend a huge thanks to the Ants Marching staff, this one didn't go together in 5 minutes folks.

BCC99Man 01-11-2007 08:28 AM

Re: Importance Of Seeding

quick question, is there a recommended amount of time we should keep seeding after we upload? right now i'm seeding multiple shows, with the more popular shows getting downloaded, while some of the lesser known ones haven't been looked at at all. I think in DT.org they say if you upload that you should initially seed for 24 hours after upload or if you get 5 other seeders. I'm just asking cause there's some other shows I want to upload, but am worried about bandwidth and stuff. thanks!

bbycrei 01-11-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCC99Man (Post 5460770)
quick question, is there a recommended amount of time we should keep seeding after we upload? right now i'm seeding multiple shows, with the more popular shows getting downloaded, while some of the lesser known ones haven't been looked at at all. I think in DT.org they say if you upload that you should initially seed for 24 hours after upload or if you get 5 other seeders. I'm just asking cause there's some other shows I want to upload, but am worried about bandwidth and stuff. thanks!

General rule of thumb is either 1:1 ratio. I also try to make sure I get a few new seeders if there aren't that many before I drop off.

JoelB2222 01-11-2007 01:49 PM

Ok, so this is what is meant by "sharing" torrents? Because I haven't ever taped a show or anything like that, and all I have of any value is some "rare" live songs that I've downloaded from the audio thread.

I felt bad because if I can't help by posting new shows or anything then what use am I? But if I just keep uTorrent open, I will "seed" the show and thus be helping the cause?

Cheers

Prez 01-12-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelB2222 (Post 5462184)
Ok, so this is what is meant by "sharing" torrents? Because I haven't ever taped a show or anything like that, and all I have of any value is some "rare" live songs that I've downloaded from the audio thread.

I felt bad because if I can't help by posting new shows or anything then what use am I? But if I just keep uTorrent open, I will "seed" the show and thus be helping the cause?

Cheers

Seeding means that you are allowing people to download the files off of you. So, if you do convert your FLAC or SHN files into different formats, make a copy of the torrent file and leave an original one alone so that it will remain seeding. Use the copy of the folder to convert and what not. :)

dmbfan1192 01-15-2007 07:57 AM

I am having trouble with this seeding thing. I used Azureus to download the Til We Dance Away Compilation from dreamingtree and I want to seed it. It says that it's seeding and 1.62 Gb uploaded but on dreamingtree it says I only uploaded 512 Mb. This causes my ratio to be low and I don't want to be kicked off. Can someone please help me?

Matt 01-15-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 (Post 5476263)
I am having trouble with this seeding thing. I used Azureus to download the Til We Dance Away Compilation from dreamingtree and I want to seed it. It says that it's seeding and 1.62 Gb uploaded but on dreamingtree it says I only uploaded 512 Mb. This causes my ratio to be low and I don't want to be kicked off. Can someone please help me?

You might want to ask over on DT.