Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

rustysurf83 03-16-2014 07:02 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

The Chicago Homer @TheChicagoHomer · 25m

AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD CREATED MARIAN HOSSA AND HE WAS LIKE OH SHIT WHAT HAVE I UNLEASHED UPON THE EARTH

lockman21 03-16-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15198234)
The more I think about it, I hate this team. Really not much to like about this group of Rangers anymore. No heart, no scoring, no captain, old, and no future really. I also can't wait til Sather is gone...

Hey man, just remember that the Kings won it as an 8 seed and the Flyers made it to the SCF as an 8 in 2010.

Both fanbases felt that way at points in their seasons. They have the star power to make a real run. Keep your head up.

Bron Yr Aur 03-16-2014 07:06 PM

Detroit is icing a pretty bad team and still competing better than a lot of teams with better rosters. I mean what can you expect as a Detroit fan....certainly can't look for much better effort or coaching. Just not their year. When you depend on a lot of 30+ yr old players that is a recipe for trouble and this year it has been more than trouble. Bad luck for them this year especially with such an awfully weak Eastern Conference.

dmbetc 03-16-2014 07:10 PM

Just when Dustin was getting back into his game, plagued with anther injury. Will have MRI tomorrow to see if it's serious (he says it's not).

fonzz41 03-16-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15198159)
They won't have the Blues in the 1st round.

Unless the Avs leap frog STL for 1st, amirite? ;)

bartender_man 03-16-2014 09:20 PM

Sharks!!!!!!

DynastyDrummer1 03-16-2014 10:52 PM

The Sabres have dressed 7 goalies this season. That seems like an alarming number.

lockman21 03-17-2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15198538)
Unless the Avs leap frog STL for 1st, amirite? ;)

:lol Well...there's always THAT.

lockman21 03-17-2014 04:27 AM

If there's one thing the Blackhawks are good at besides hockey, it's marketing.

Holy shit, the amount of money they must of made from selling those green sweaters is ridiculous. Those things are hideous, yet there were SO MANY of them in the stands last night. I don't get it. I got mine for free from a buddy that used to sell the fake Chinese jerseys, and have only worn it twice in the 3-4 years I've had it...both were for Unofficial St. Patrick's at U of I (aka there was a high chance of me puking on it so I didn't care what I was wearing).

hailtopitt 03-17-2014 06:25 AM

yikes....

JRS1386 03-17-2014 06:47 AM

Good weekend of hockey in PA

Rebecca De Mornay 03-17-2014 07:45 AM

Jackets!!

?

lockman21 03-17-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15198856)
Jackets!!

?

Have you bought your playoff tickets yet?

Rebecca De Mornay 03-17-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15198860)
Have you bought your playoff tickets yet?

You bet, got a discount if I renewed my season tickets for next year at the same time. They're in a good spot, really hoping they don't choke.

lockman21 03-17-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15198862)
You bet, got a discount if I renewed my season tickets for next year at the same time. They're in a good spot, really hoping they don't choke.

Stars/Jackets SCF

Gary Bettman has a stroke.

kev87lads 03-17-2014 07:54 AM

Flyers opened up my eyes and pleasantly surprised me this weekend. If they can earn a split against the West teams this week (CHI, DAL, STL, LAK); I'd be tickled pink! (Yeah. I said it! I'm an 85 year old grandmother.)

kev87lads 03-17-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15198876)
Stars/Jackets SCF

Will take this for the overall betterment of the game/NHL.

kev87lads 03-17-2014 07:55 AM

And since I'm on a roll. (Like a hoagie!) I played 2nd line center in my men's league game last night. And man, did I play a stellar defensive game. And I may have learned how to quick stop on the fly. I was proud of myself.

Rebecca De Mornay 03-17-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15198876)
Stars/Jackets SCF

:lol oh man what a disaster that would be for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15198880)

:thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15198883)
And since I'm on a roll. (Like a hoagie!) I played 2nd line center in my men's league game last night. And man, did I play a stellar defensive game. And I may have learned how to quick stop on the fly. I was proud of myself.

:thumbsup

lockman21 03-17-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15198880)

Ehhhh...Stars won the Cup in Dallas and 90% of the population still doesn't even know there's a hockey team in town.

Quote:

Nice! :thumbsup:thumbsup

One picture I always show centers that are just learning is that for faceoffs, make sure you get LOWWWWWWWWW:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/bluejackets/im...0104_slide.jpg

Doesn't hurt that it's Bolly in the picture, but the important thing is to get low. Win a lot more faceoffs if your hands don't have to travel as far as the other guy.

But congrats man! Keep working at it. Matty and I are both similar in that our favorite part of the game is the defensive part, which is odd, because since I've switched to defenseman, I find myself being a lot more of a Keith Yandle/Nick Leddy type. Love moving the puck, and I pinch WAY too often, and get caught like an idiot deep in the offensive zone with no one helping me. Maybe that's just the forward in me wanting to be deep in the zone. I don't know. But anyway, I love the PK more than the PP. Keep workin' at it!

fonzz41 03-17-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Atta boy, Kevy. There are few things a defenseman loves more than a center that knows how to do his job in his own zone. Supporting in front, going into corners, all that. You've got to be constantly analyzing the play of the other team and the positioning of your own defensemen to determine where you would be most effective as a supporting "3rd D", and then get there. Oh, and you have to do it in split-second spurts. Sounds like you're on your way, so on behalf of rearguards everywhere, I salute you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15198906)
But congrats man! Keep working at it. Matty and I are both similar in that our favorite part of the game is the defensive part, which is odd, because since I've switched to defenseman, I find myself being a lot more of a Keith Yandle/Nick Leddy type. Love moving the puck, and I pinch WAY too often, and get caught like an idiot deep in the offensive zone with no one helping me. Maybe that's just the forward in me wanting to be deep in the zone. I don't know. But anyway, I love the PK more than the PP. Keep workin' at it!

Rip the asses of those wingers for not covering for you! :lol

I have a feeling we would do well as a pairing. You could pinch all you want knowing that I rarely if ever will leave that blue line... and I secretly get a hard-on when I get to defend 2-on-1's. Total adrenaline rush.

lockman21 03-17-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15199017)
Rip the asses of those wingers for not covering for you! :lol

I have a feeling we would do well as a pairing. You could pinch all you want knowing that I rarely if ever will leave that blue line... and I secretly get a hard-on when I get to defend 2-on-1's. Total adrenaline rush.

1) I would, but sometimes (most of the time) it's my fault getting a little TOO aggressive. I love to try and sneak behind the play.

2) Of course we would.

TMoore4075 03-17-2014 09:19 AM

Remember how after the goal by the Wings against LA everyone said video replay was going to be expanded? This is why I said it wasn't before and why there still could be issues. From today's 30 thoughts.

6. There is a pretty interesting difference of opinion on expanded video review and/or coach's challenges. Some GMs believe we're a year away, wanting to make sure the process is fully prepared to prevent embarrassment. Others are really against it. One of the problems is the lack of consensus on who should make the final call: the referees with a monitor in the penalty box or the war room with better technology.

7. There's a second problem, too, and it has to do with the idea of video review on a judgment call like goalie interference. Take all of the referees and all of the league's hockey operations people and say, "Here's an example. What's your thinking?" How many different interpretations do you get? Five? 10? 50? One GM said it came up in the meeting that, if the NHL goes this route, maybe only one or two people are allowed to make this type of ruling for consistency's sake.

They want to have everything spelled out, but no one can agree on the spelling.

DynastyDrummer1 03-17-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I play center in my mens league too. Offense has always come easy to me so I've made a very strong effort over the past year to work on my defense. All of a sudden I find myself enjoying reading the play and stealing pucks almost as much as I do scoring. And I really like scoring....

We won 7-1 last night, their team hardly crossed the blue line and I believe only had 7 shots the entire game. The one goal was a cherrypicking breakaway :thumbsdow

lockman21 03-17-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 15199188)
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I play center in my mens league too. Offense has always come easy to me so I've made a very strong effort over the past year to work on my defense. All of a sudden I find myself enjoying reading the play and stealing pucks almost as much as I do scoring. And I really like scoring....

We won 7-1 last night, their team hardly crossed the blue line and I believe only had 7 shots the entire game. The one goal was a cherrypicking breakaway :thumbsdow

Cherry picking is seriously the worst.

Had one guy before that literally always cherry picked. ALWAYS. As in, we were constantly a man down in the defensive zone because he would never spend time in it. If there was even a tiny bit of an excuse to leave the zone, he would go flying into the neutral zone, sometimes he would just stand there waiting for a pass for 10-15 seconds while we're all playing defense.

We kicked him off the team after 2 games.

DynastyDrummer1 03-17-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15199207)

Had one guy before that literally always cherry picked. ALWAYS. As in, we were constantly a man down in the defensive zone because he would never spend time in it. If there was even a tiny bit of an excuse to leave the zone, he would go flying into the neutral zone, sometimes he would just stand there waiting for a pass for 10-15 seconds while we're all playing defense.

I can admit to doing it a time or two at the end of a game when a goal is needed, but this guy was doing it the entire night. How it only lead to one goal I'll never know, but we were scoring almost at will (probably because it was 5 on 4 whenever he was on the ice) so we weren't too concerned.

fonzz41 03-17-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15199089)
1) I would, but sometimes (most of the time) it's my fault getting a little TOO aggressive. I love to try and sneak behind the play.

2) Of course we would.

I may have watched this clip over and over again with lotion and a box of tissues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtFVZYaNvJ0
About 32:45. Sorry I don't have a shorter clip. I love how Ray was caught standing at the blue line and was still the first one back. I love that man so much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 15199188)

Cool to hear, man! Adding that defensive dimension to your game will turn out to be really rewarding, I guarantee it. Guys'll start calling you Stevie Y!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15199207)

Is this him?
https://www.google.com/search?q=alex...%3B1797%3B1709

Rebecca De Mornay 03-17-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15199256)

:lol:lol

JRS1386 03-17-2014 10:17 AM

Anyone else think he looks like this guy

http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809E...pyGilmore2.jpg

TMoore4075 03-17-2014 10:25 AM

With now Abdelkader possibly not being able to play, Landon Ferraro has been called up just in case. Including injured players, Wings have 22 forwards up on the big team. If you include Patrick Eaves who was recently traded, the Wings have had 23 different forwards on their team this year.