Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-26-2014 08:07 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15144320)
Yeah other than maybe Edmonton, Florida or Calgary I'm guessing he'd be open to anything else. St Louis or Washington would be my guesses. However, do I think he's the answer for the Caps? Not really.

Yeah, he alone couldn't turn around the mess that is the Capitals. Right now if there were a multiple choice question that looked something like this...

What is the answer for the Washington Capitals?
A. Bona fide starting goalie
B. Completely revamped defense
C. At least 3 hard-working forwards who can play minutes on the top two lines
D. An attitude adjustment that comes from better player leadership
E. All of the above

... We would all get the correct answer. I recognize you can't just trade a guy like Ovechkin, but maybe you try to surround him with team-first players who can compensate for his attitude. I will say this, I like the Caps bottom lines. Some good grinders down there like Chimera who I'm a fan of. That's it.

EDIT: Thanks for the contract info on Miller.

swordo84 02-26-2014 08:08 AM

I'm just going to start the Miller to the Habs as a rental rumour.

Facing his first shot, in his first practice back Price has left the ice with an apparent leg injury.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15144392)
I'm just going to start the Miller to the Habs as a rental rumour.

Facing his first shot, in his first practice back Price has left the ice with an apparent leg injury.

Oh, so that explosion I heard was Montreal? Got it.

swordo84 02-26-2014 08:27 AM

Further to Price...doesn't sound too serious

Quote:

Originally Posted by @BartsBytes

#Habs Price aggravated a lower body injury during Olympics. Out for next two games, day to day. Played through injury in Sochi. #habson690

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 08:28 AM

Well since Wings are in Montreal tonight, I'm happy to not have to face him.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 08:39 AM

‏@mike_p_johnson
"If Price was dealing with a lower body injury, why in the world would he be taking shots on a 5-0 pp practice cold. Not a wise decision."

Fair point.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 10:02 AM

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/stat...33100072574978

Well, guess that confirms that. So weird and so sad.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2014 10:03 AM

^^ what is it? twitter blocked at work.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15144935)

Sorry: "Marty St. Louis has requested a trade from the #Lightning, Newsday confirmed."

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15144935)

Just saw this: http://www.gizmopod.com/gallery/6196...f-google/62952

If your school or office stops you from visiting certain sites, just use type "cache:WEBSITENAME.com" into the search box and avoid the block. It's that easy.

Curious if that would solve your twitter problem.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2014 10:17 AM

hmm got me excited but not working for me.

in hockey related news and i know this wont happen but st. louis would be a great addition to the jackets. i know they're overall scoring numbers look better after the january they had but i dont feel anyone on that team is a consistent producer.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 10:43 AM

I'm curious as to where he'll go. Someone will get him I'm sure. This isn't Luongo here. But if this is because of the Olympics thing, which you kinda have to assume it is, that's stupid and he might be in for a shock. I mean you are 2nd in the division right now with this team. Playing well. Hell, you were doing well, without your best player for a long time and he'll be back soon. You'd leave all that over some hurt feelings?

swordo84 02-26-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15145153)
I'm curious as to where he'll go. Someone will get him I'm sure. This isn't Luongo here. But if this is because of the Olympics thing, which you kinda have to assume it is, that's stupid and he might be in for a shock. I mean you are 2nd in the division right now with this team. Playing well. Hell, you were doing well, without your best player for a long time and he'll be back soon. You'd leave all that over some hurt feelings?

Yeah, its a wierd one, and a very soft move by Marty imo. Suck it up buttercup, it wasn't a personal decision so don't take it so personally.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2014 11:13 AM

I think there is more to this than just a simple Olympic snub. I mean...it doesn't seem really plausible for St. Louis to do this.

My take is that he told Yzerman by a certain date if the Lightning weren't looking too hot, he would like to move to a contender. He's old now. He wants a chance at another Cup. Don't blame him.

fonzz41 02-26-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15137638)
I have a difficult time believing a mature, overall classy player like St. Louis would demand to be traded simply because he didn't make the Olympics. He could've asked for a trade, sure, but I'm a bit skeptical that the Olympic snub would be his only reason. Who knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15145261)
I think there is more to this than just a simple Olympic snub. I mean...it doesn't seem really plausible for St. Louis to do this.

We're thinking along the same lines... just seems like a... Russian thing to do. Not a 38 year old, team-first guy who had to claw and scrape just to make the NHL in the first place.

Gotta be something else going on. The Lightning are doing well this year, but I don't know if anyone feels they are serious contenders. Crazier things have happened, but I wouldn't be putting any money on it. Maybe he is (like Matt said) just feeling the pressure of wanting to make one more solid run before retiring. Could have nothing to do with sour grapes or bad feelings.

But yeah, certainly an intriguing story.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2014 11:25 AM

I also forgot he was captain of the team. Wow, that's--so unlike him. Maybe he really thinks the Lightning will get more out of him if he's traded, considering that it's Stamkos team by now. His captaincy was probably just a nice gesture.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2014 11:55 AM

For those of you not on the Twitter machine, or at least want some summary of today's news....

http://skateinthecrease.weebly.com/2...y-26-2013.html

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15145261)

My take is that he told Yzerman by a certain date if the Lightning weren't looking too hot, he would like to move to a contender. He's old now. He wants a chance at another Cup. Don't blame him.

While they might not be a contender they are in a damn fine position. And see I think it is the Olympics because, while petty, it's the only thing that makes sense because they are in an ok position. None of the teams that are more serious contenders (Boston, Pitt, Chicago, Anaheim and St Louis) really have the space for him. So without those teams, where's he gonna go that's a better shot than TBL?

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2014 12:09 PM

In other news, as you can see I started back up my blog. My intention is just to do update summaries of what's been going on and then have some original featured material. However, I'm looking to collect statistics and such. For all your puck lovers out there, would anyone be interested in helping me collect such data? I'm open to volunteers, helpers--you guys don't have to write or anything, unless you want to--I'm up for that as well.

lockman21 02-26-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15144006)
christ...

Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke.

lockman21 02-26-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15144240)
My buddy posted a great status the other day:

"Jonathan Toews could retire today a Hall of Famer. At 25 years of age, he has won a U-17 tournament gold medal, two World Junior Championship gold medals, two Olympic gold medals, two Stanley Cups, a Conn Smythe trophy, a Selke trophy...Blackhawks fans are so lucky to have this guy."

He's not wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15144262)
St. Louis is the team that keeps popping up for Miller. You'd hope Murray would do the guy a solid and send him to a contender.

On that note, what's Miller contract like in terms of a NMC? Does he have any say?

St. Louis honestly makes the most sense, assuming they send a goalie back to Buffalo. Minnesota, Winnipeg, and Washington also make sense, but I bet he ends up in St. Louis...which is terrifying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15145153)

My first bet? The Rangers get him.

But I also have to believe this is a lot more than any Olympic nonsense.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2014 12:57 PM

There's an article on the Jackets SB nation site that says "reportedly"" the Rags offered Callahan straight up for St. Louis.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15145803)
St. Louis honestly makes the most sense, assuming they send a goalie back to Buffalo. Minnesota, Winnipeg, and Washington also make sense, but I bet he ends up in St. Louis...which is terrifying.

But I also have to believe this is a lot more than any Olympic nonsense.

To Miller, yeah makes the most sense short term and long term in St Louis.

If Marty ends up in New York, it sure wasn't he wanted to be on a contender. While the Rangers have the better goaltending, I don't see them as any more likely to win a Cup than TBL.

hailtopitt 02-26-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15145771)
Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke.

i'm aware

fonzz41 02-26-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15145803)

It is terrifying. I would guess they send Halak over for him, if Buffalo will take him until the end of the season. Or they off-load him somewhere else to clear the space. Elliott could go too if they want to get started with an Allen/Miller tandem. But I would imagine they hold on to at least one seasoned goalie in case of injuries before/during the playoffs.

As for St. Louis (player), NYR makes sense from a logistical standpoint (I just read that his off-season home is in CT), but would not go very far in proving my supposition that he's chasing a Cup. Going there would definitely be a step backwards. But then there's the question I had about Miller earlier, which is how much say does St. Louis have?

Damn... talking about St. Louis (city) and St. Louis (player) is getting confusing. I propose we call them STL and MSL until after the trade deadline. :cool

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15145838)
As for St. Louis (player), NYR makes sense from a logistical standpoint (I just read that his off-season home is in CT), but would not go very far in proving my supposition that he's chasing a Cup. Going there would definitely be a step backwards. But then there's the question I had about Miller earlier, which is how much say does St. Louis have?

Damn... talking about St. Louis (city) and St. Louis (player) is getting confusing. I propose we call them STL and MSL until after the trade deadline. :cool

That's just the thing right there. Especially with Cally all but gone and Girardi maybe on the way out too. So for arguments take, if it's not the Olympics, what could make him want to leave a team he's been with forever, and he's the captain of? Just weird, no matter what the reason honestly.

swordo84 02-26-2014 01:16 PM

Miller to STL doesn't make much sense to me anyway. They've been rolling with two solid to great 'tenders this far. Would be a big kick in the nuts to the entire team to bring in a new guy now to carry them...not to mention they don't need him to being with. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where he lands, but it doesn't seem logical to this guy, eh?

lockman21 02-26-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15145829)
There's an article on the Jackets SB nation site that says "reportedly"" the Rags offered Callahan straight up for St. Louis.

Contract talks have basically stalled with Callahan. If they can't get something going, I bet he gets moved. We'll see though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15145834)
To Miller, yeah makes the most sense short term and long term in St Louis.

If Marty ends up in New York, it sure wasn't he wanted to be on a contender. While the Rangers have the better goaltending, I don't see them as any more likely to win a Cup than TBL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15145838)
It is terrifying. I would guess they send Halak over for him, if Buffalo will take him until the end of the season. Or they off-load him somewhere else to clear the space. Elliott could go too if they want to get started with an Allen/Miller tandem. But I would imagine they hold on to at least one seasoned goalie in case of injuries before/during the playoffs.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh, I think the Rangers are better than people are giving them credit for. I give them a better shot of winning the Cup than TBL, especially if they can get MSL and keep Callahan.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15145879)
Miller to STL doesn't make much sense to me anyway. They've been rolling with two solid to great 'tenders this far. Would be a big kick in the nuts to the entire team to bring in a new guy now to carry them...not to mention they don't need him to being with. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where he lands, but it doesn't seem logical to this guy, eh?

While I understand that argument, and would understand if the Blues did that, I think it still makes sense. Mentioned earlier, bring in Miller and sign him to a deal around 4 years or so, and bring up Allen as the backup. Let him get his feet wet for 2 years and transition after that to a 1A/1B thing as Miller gets older. Halak is gonna want a longer term deal, ala Rask, Crawford, Henrik, Howard, and the Blues might not want to do that with Allen coming up behind them. Of course this would all come down to Miller accepting a 3-4 year deal or so too, which is a big if, since someone would prolly sign him to an 8 year deal knowing some of these GM's.

TMoore4075 02-26-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15145885)
Contract talks have basically stalled with Callahan. If they can't get something going, I bet he gets moved. We'll see though.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh, I think the Rangers are better than people are giving them credit for. I give them a better shot of winning the Cup than TBL, especially if they can get MSL and keep Callahan.

Dreger or MacKenzie said it's about 99% that Callahan gets traded.