Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 12-11-2013 06:48 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Callahan looks like he might miss the Olympics. Another injury blow to team USA and the Rangers.

As far as NY goes, I don't see this team turning things around right now. I know it could happen, but they have not shown any sign of being able to do it.

Staal and Callahan are two fantastic players. But they are too important to our line up and are ALWAYS injured. If they are going to insist on keeping this guy as head coach, I really wouldn't mind blowing this team up and starting with players that would be good in his system. Why not? Does anyone here really think this current Rangers roster has a chance of winning a cup in the next 5 years?? We can't even compete in our division, how are we supposed to compete against the west?

Rebecca De Mornay 12-11-2013 08:18 AM

The Rangers should just trade the rest of their good players to columbus :lol

Seriously, I think they got absolutely robbed on the Nash trade. Dubinsky is such a gamer.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 14976562)
Almost pathetic that this thread wants to choke on Yzermans balls yet there's no mention of Ovechkin putting the team on his back and scoring 4 goals to lead his team to victory. That's what captains do. Lead by example. When the team decides to lay a goose egg, Ovechkin delivers with one of the greatest performances of his career

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14976801)
Three Cups, a Conn Smythe (should have 2, should have won it in 02), a Selke and a gold medal. Yup real close. Since we were talking about the rest Sakic: 2 Cups, a Conn Smythe, a Hart Trophy and a gold medal. And since he's closer in age Toews: 2 Cups and a Conn Smythe.

:thumbsup:thumbsup Yeah, scoring four goals in one game is pretty cool, but until Ovechkin really demonstrates he's ready to elevate his attitude to that of one leading a team to a championship, I will not even mention him in a discussion of greatest players. Not even greatest current players. Most talented? Yeah, definitely up there. But I have seen nothing from his attitude on the ice that suggests he wants anything more than to win scoring titles.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 14976928)
Does anyone here really think this current Rangers roster has a chance of winning a cup in the next 5 years?? We can't even compete in our division, how are we supposed to compete against the west?

The Rangers have done a decent job of collecting some really good pieces here and there, i.e., Callahan, Girardi, MacDonaugh, Staal, Stepan, Nash (yes, still haven't given up on him) and Hank. A few others. The problem is, they seem to be uninterested or unable to build a cohesive unit of pieces that complement each other and work together. It has always been the Rangers MO to go after the biggest names, then just settle with whatever is left over. A more targeted approach to team building seems to be in order: Decide who your core pieces are, then build around them with pieces that complement them. Sather has proven time and again that he doesn't get that.

Hope it gets better, man. :thumbsup

Take the Avs. I know I'm a little biased, and it's not like the Avs are the perfect example yet, but I love the approach they have taken and I think it will start really paying off in the next season or so (already has started, but still some bumps to get over). They decided on their core pieces: Duchene, Landeskog, Johnson, Varlamov. Then, they build around them. Not going after "the best", but looking at the strengths of each and then adding pieces slowly. John Mitchell, PA Parenteau, Giguere, Sarich, Guenin, Talbot. Not the biggest names by any stretch, but the right ones for their team dynamic.

Bron Yr Aur 12-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14977245)
:thumbsup:thumbsup Yeah, scoring four goals in one game is pretty cool, but until Ovechkin really demonstrates he's ready to elevate his attitude to that of one leading a team to a championship, I will not even mention him in a discussion of greatest players. Not even greatest current players. Most talented? Yeah, definitely up there. But I have seen nothing from his attitude on the ice that suggests he wants anything more than to win scoring titles.

Plenty of great players have never won the Cup. AO is a great player.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-11-2013 10:43 AM

He is a great scorer.

Calling him a great anything else is a disservice to the word great.

Bron Yr Aur 12-11-2013 10:45 AM

I thought you had to score to win games? My bad.

He is one of the top 2-3 scorers of the era.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-11-2013 10:46 AM

Chances Bron is actually Barry Melrose?

I say 60-65%

fonzz41 12-11-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 14977668)
Plenty of great players have never won the Cup. AO is a great player.

Agreed. I never said a player had to win a Cup to be considered great.

Ovechkin is one of the most talented players in the game. If he played to his full potential night in and night out, he might be the best in the league in terms of pure outright hockey skill. It's kind of sad to think about that, really.

EDIT: :thumbsup to Mr. Mornay

Rebecca De Mornay 12-11-2013 10:49 AM

Disagree Matty.

I think Crosby is better in pretty much every aspect. If Crosby wanted to cherry pick he could score that much too.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14977700)
Disagree Matty.

I think Crosby is better in pretty much every aspect. If Crosby wanted to cherry pick he could score that much too.

Crosby is right up there with him. But the thing that makes Crosby better than Ovechkin is that hunger that he plays the game with. That x-factor that's hard to describe but that players like he and Toews have and play with every night. I see it here and there from Ovie, but it depends largely on his mood and what zone he's currently playing in on the ice.

But if you were to take all that out and somehow gauge pure, technical hockey talent without any other intangibles... Ovie might just have it. It would be close, for sure. :thumbsup

But then again, so much of a player's talent is derived from his attitude, so an experiment like the one mentioned above would probably be fruitless and impossible.

All that being said, I hope it's absolutely 100% clear by previous comments I've made over the years that if I had to choose between Crosby and Ovie, the choice would be clear.

EDIT: And how dare you disagree with me right after I agreed with you? Screw you, man. ;)

swordo84 12-11-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14977673)
He is a great scorer.

Calling him a great anything else is a disservice to the word great.

:thumbsup

Rebecca De Mornay 12-11-2013 11:00 AM

:lol I didn't see your edit

we're on the same page :thumbsup:hug

Bron Yr Aur 12-11-2013 11:06 AM

Way too easy to jump on the "Ovechkin is overrated" bandwagon. He has already had a long and ridiculous career showing he is one of the greatest players of his generation. There are plenty of great players who were not strong defensively and obviously AO is in that category. But c'mon he is absolutely one of the best players of the post-first-lockout era.

TMoore4075 12-11-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 14977777)
Way too easy to jump on the "Ovechkin is overrated" bandwagon. He has already had a long and ridiculous career showing he is one of the greatest players of his generation. There are plenty of great players who were not strong defensively and obviously AO is in that category. But c'mon he is absolutely one of the best players of the post-first-lockout era.

Sure but our crazy Caps fan was trying to compare his 4 goal game last night and his leadership to what Yzerman had done. It's not the same. A 4 goal game in December is nice but that doesn't lump you into the leadership category of Yzerman, Sakic and Toews. If Ovie could play more like a Datsyuk or Crosby with that kind of heart, I think he could be the best player in the game.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 11:13 AM

That's the thing that's infuriating about him to me that maybe I'm not articulating well enough. Yes, I've said it like 3 times today, Ovechkin is TREMENDOUSLY talented. Marty, you say, "not strong defensively", and that's the thing: Ovechkin has all the skill in the world to be defensively strong, he just chooses not to. THAT's what bugs me most about him.

And yeah, I'm the mechanic at the shop where the Ovechkin-is-overrated bandwagon goes for its monthly maintenance.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14977794)
Sure but our crazy Caps fan was trying to compare his 4 goal game last night and his leadership to what Yzerman had done. It's not the same. A 4 goal game in December is nice but that doesn't lump you into the leadership category of Yzerman, Sakic and Toews. If Ovie could play more like a Datsyuk or Crosby with that kind of heart, I think he could be the best player in the game.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW, going off me and Schreibs's brief talent discussion, Datsyuk would be right up there as well. If I'm a GM building a team from scratch and I can have any player on my roster, I think Dats would be my first pick. I heart him so much.

TMoore4075 12-11-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14977821)
:thumbsup:thumbsup

BTW, going off me and Schreibs's brief talent discussion, Datsyuk would be right up there as well. If I'm a GM building a team from scratch and I can have any player on my roster, I think Dats would be my first pick. I heart him so much.

Great leader. He'd be up there for me. Doesn't get the attention that Crosby and Ovie and some get because he doesn't score you 50 goals or a 120 points but he probably gets you more wins than some guys who score like that. He came in at the right time. Got to play with Hull, Larionov and Yzerman first. Apparently people think he'll be a star on 24/7 because of his personality. Probably won't be able to understand him much, since his English not so good but should be fun.

fonzz41 12-11-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 14975747)
Before it's all said and done, Hartnell probably goes down as the classiest, best #19 ever.

Thankyaverymuch.

In all my nut busting for Sakic yesterday, I forgot to acknowledge Kev for this brilliant and insightful post. Your wisdom is a gift to us all, my friend. :)

fonzz41 12-11-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14977845)
Great leader. He'd be up there for me. Doesn't get the attention that Crosby and Ovie and some get because he doesn't score you 50 goals or a 120 points but he probably gets you more wins than some guys who score like that. He came in at the right time. Got to play with Hull, Larionov and Yzerman first. Apparently people think he'll be a star on 24/7 because of his personality. Probably won't be able to understand him much, since his English not so good but should be fun.

He has had some hilarious Twitter moments.

I've got a great idea. Perhaps during Team Russia Olympic practices, they can tie Ovechkin to a short tether connected to Datsyuk so he has to follow Datsyuk anywhere he goes on the ice. Perhaps then he'll get an idea as to what it means to really play an all-around game.

kev87lads 12-11-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14977856)
In all my nut busting for Sakic yesterday, I forgot to acknowledge Kev for this brilliant and insightful post. Your wisdom is a gift to us all, my friend. :)

Just opening up some eyes...

You are more than welcome.

bonzo48280 12-11-2013 05:25 PM

Let's dong whip the Flyers

bradshaw06 12-11-2013 06:30 PM

Saad,great player.

Emery... not so much.

bonzo48280 12-11-2013 06:32 PM

Ray M. Murray.

Hawks should have started him over Crawford.

bradshaw06 12-11-2013 06:40 PM

Was only a matter of time for toews, he was buzzing last few shifts.

bradshaw06 12-11-2013 06:40 PM

btw, as soon as turned this game on hawks scored 5. you're welcome ;)

bonzo48280 12-11-2013 06:42 PM

The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Hartnell :lol

lockman21 12-11-2013 06:42 PM

Aaaaannnnnddddd Harnell continues to show that he's a classless fuck. Seriously BAFFLES me how his scumbag "Bertuzzi-esque" punch last week was so overlooked.

That guy is seriously a piece of shit.

bonzo48280 12-11-2013 07:14 PM

6 goals in 3 straight games.

3 shitty opponents though.

Bron Yr Aur 12-11-2013 07:26 PM

Flyers so classy