Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

drakan 04-17-2019 04:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

Half of what is wrong with Alain is the same thing that is wrong with most NHL coaches. Playing players on the wrong line. Benching players. Scratching players the wrong players.

Lcsulla 04-17-2019 08:25 PM

Oh hell yeah Dallas!!!!! I think Benn might flatten subban at some point in the next few games.

Sucks TOR lost!

Flames/Avs should be another great game - betting on Flames tonight though to get a bounceback game.

rickyh24 04-17-2019 08:31 PM

Bruins!!!!

dmbetc 04-17-2019 10:15 PM

Avalanche destroyed that OT!! So awesome. Damn, will both 8 seeds advance?!

barbogast 04-18-2019 04:10 AM

So seriously, now that it’s happened, Columbus has to have just pulled the biggest upset in NHL history, no? The closest thing I can think of is Montreal over Washington in 2010. Maybe there’s some from before my time that I’m not aware of. What else ya got?

Lcsulla 04-18-2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17424986)
So seriously, now that it’s happened, Columbus has to have just pulled the biggest upset in NHL history, no? The closest thing I can think of is Montreal over Washington in 2010. Maybe there’s some from before my time that I’m not aware of. What else ya got?

I would say most epic collapse ever considering their regular season.

mthawk07 04-18-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

The Caps’ collapse against Montreal was horrific, but at least they won 3 games in that series.

Climb2safety 04-18-2019 07:33 AM

Capitals better be watching what is happening.

Carolina is going to come to play and the Caps have looked pretty bad in each game.

bradshaw06 04-18-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Maybe preds vs hawks a few years ago? Was also a 1 v 8 seed

fonzz41 04-18-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17424624)
Agreed but even going back to the last two months of the regular season they were a jekyll and hdye team, you did not know whether that offense was going to show up or not. I like both the Flames and the Av's so I will not be unhappy with whichever team wins but I am not sure either can get by a potential matchup with NASH or Vegas - the Flames D is a little leaky, Johnny Hockey hasn't had much chance to show his stuff and Smith has been a trainwreck in goal (whom I would likely sit tonight) while the Av's have a bit more experience they are a streaky team - aka they can win or lose 4 in a row easy depending on whether the opponent can shut that top line down.

I'm not sure we've been watching the same stuff, Jamie :lol. I didn't go back to check for sure, but the Avs finished the season on something like a 17-7 run, and like 8-0-2 over the last 10. Hottest team in the NHL going into the playoffs, and a good stretch of that was without Landeskog and Rantanen, meaning the depth guys really stepped up.

Mike Smith has been absolutely phenomenal and the only thing that's kept the Flames in it the past 3 games. I mean, he gave up 6 goals in Game 3, but he also faced 56 shots, so... And then I think he faced like 52 last night. He's been great.

Loving the Avs D right now. There's two reasons Johnny Hockey has done nothing yet this series, and those reasons are Erik Johnson and Ian Cole. They are all over him the second he enters the zone. Seeing MacKinnon pick his pocket from behind yesterday was also very gratifying.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17424963)
Avalanche destroyed that OT!! So awesome. Damn, will both 8 seeds advance?!

I could barely breathe watching it! The whole last half of the game was all Avs, with the Flames hanging on by the skin of Mike Smith's teeth. That OT winning play... I'm still feeling strange sensations in my nether regions because of it!

Alazais 04-18-2019 08:15 AM

Brutal loss for the Leafs last night. They outplayed Boston in almost every capacity. Freddy had a pretty human game but it was really the penalties they took that did them in.

I think the Leafs are in tough against Boston in their barn. I'm real nervous about the rest of this series moving forward.

dmbetc 04-18-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

2012 LA Kings ;)

Let’s see if the Jackets can become the 2nd 8th seed to actually win the Cup!

kev87lads 04-18-2019 09:28 AM

Liked AV's press conference. Obviously he wears out his welcome after 4-5 years or so but he has a good track record. I see this hopefully going like Lavy did for the Flyers. Back to the playoffs and relevance and then maybe get hot and go on a run one of those years.

All depends on this big offseason though. Need a veteran D man and another goal scorer. Obviously neither fall off trees regularly but they have flexibility with cap this year and some pieces to trade. And the ability to retain some salary in a trade if necessary if it makes the team better.

Roose13 04-18-2019 09:58 AM

I don't hate the signing. Just kinda bummed they never seemed to be a serious landing spot for Q.

Brohan_Santana 04-18-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17425331)
I don't hate the signing. Just kinda bummed they never seemed to be a serious landing spot for Q.

Should be excited that the Flyers will at least make it to the SC finals next year or the year after. They're going to lose, but you know at least they'll make it

dmbetc 04-18-2019 10:48 AM

Happy with McLellan to the Kings. They have good success with ex San Jose coaches.

unccrombie 04-18-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17425270)
2012 LA Kings ;)

Let’s see if the Jackets can become the 2nd 8th seed to actually win the Cup!

I think I speak for the collective in that 1 LA and NYR championship would've been better than 2 for LA

drakan 04-18-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17425303)
Liked AV's press conference. Obviously he wears out his welcome after 4-5 years or so but he has a good track record.

He's a coach that could put a veteran team with talent over the top but even he doesn't do that. He's going to sit young guys in the press box for less talented veterans. Has he signed Tanner Glass yet? He will over rely on veterans. I don't really know the Flyers that well but they seem to be more of a team in need of a retooling than a teardown. That means young guys need to play(especially in a cap era) and Alain only trusts veterans. He seems to blame the players more than himself. He's not going to be a hit with the Philly media.

Do you really want your young guys worried about being benched or sitting in the press box if they make a mistake?

Why Canuck Coach Alain Vigneault Deserved to be Fired
https://vancouversun.com/news/commun...ed-to-be-fired

Lcsulla 04-18-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17425186)
Maybe preds vs hawks a few years ago? Was also a 1 v 8 seed

I would agree with you that they are on the same level but I think TB is worse since (unlike Chicago) they won the Presidents Trophy, have a soon to be Art Ross champ and tied the single season record for team wins. But yeah, that Preds series still stings for me man, Hawks just could never get anything going at all offensively. So - GO STARS!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

mthawk07 04-18-2019 04:13 PM

Pretty shitty start for the Caps.

barbogast 04-18-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17425722)
Pretty shitty start for the Caps.

The goal sucks but they’re managing the puck fairly well besides that. They just gotta stick with it and not get frustrated.

mthawk07 04-18-2019 05:22 PM

Really wanted Ovi to air box after scoring that goal. :lol

Brohan_Santana 04-18-2019 05:40 PM

Orpik, wtf are you doing thereeeee

They need to double shift the top two D pairings. Our third D pairing is a liablility

drakan 04-18-2019 05:46 PM

Pierre is hilarious, saying Ovi is such a complete player after he blocked a shot. Seconds before his awful defense carried him from the point all the way down to his goal line. He got stuck down there and the point was wide open for a few seconds.:lorraine

At least he knew to switch when the point wasn't covered.

drakan 04-18-2019 05:49 PM

His goal was vintage Ovi though. I was watching sportscenter and stanford steve said he would just face guard him. Yep, every time,

mthawk07 04-18-2019 06:23 PM

Well Oshie probably broke his collarbone there, so that’s awesome.

Brohan_Santana 04-18-2019 06:25 PM

Remember when people said said fighting shouldn't be in the game, well when the NHL won't stand up for bush league that's why they will allow Wilson to put a couple punches on Foegle's face in game 5

Brohan_Santana 04-18-2019 06:31 PM

Bush league play by Foegele. Should have been a 5 minute major.

drakan 04-18-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17425803)
Well Oshie probably broke his collarbone there, so that’s awesome.

Yep, and only a 2 minute penalty.

:ugh

Hurricanes impressed me.

Lcsulla 04-18-2019 07:05 PM

Wow, I had not paid much attention to the Caps series because I figured they would blow out the Canes but this is a series now, I am pretty surprised. That said the fans and people who run the arena in Carolina are every bit as annoying (probably more) then the ones in nashville and vegas. I don't get why you need applause signs so to speak and music blasting so loud the players cannot hear squat. I was so happy when Ovie scored simply because they shut the place up for a while. Also, that ice surface was for crap and that hit on Oshie deserves a game suspension, there was no need for him to do it that way - he could have just wrapped him up and pushed him into the boards. Credit Mrazek though, Caps had a few grade A chances just after that last PP ended and he kept the lead. I cannot believe I am cheering for a team that is playing my beloved old Whalers.

Oh, and those home alternate CAR jersey's are busted ugly, go with the home red next game please.