Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Alazais 03-01-2017 07:06 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Jay & Dan, coming back to TSN!

fonzz41 03-01-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16731413)
Well as a ref I am curious what you think but of course when I saw the topic come up, that play came to mind. He was only a little offsides.

I get what people have a problem with, but offsides is offisdes to me. The coaches jobs are to win so they'll do what they can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16731443)
What makes me not much of a fan of the rule is that it over analyzes the refs on the ice. An obvious offsides is one thing, but to call a ref on missing a close call like last night way before a goal is scored seems a bit much. If we can't rely on the refs for calls like this, why even have them? I feel like they are there do to a job, so let them.

There should still be some human elements to the game. Missed calls should be a part of that. I would argue that if you can overturn goals on offside calls, why can't you challenge penalty calls as well?

I agree with both of you. As a ref, we of course don't like to have our calls questioned. We put a lot of effort into making the split-second calls that we make, and I can only imagine the instincts, training, and reaction-time required at the NHL level. On the other hand, the thing I am most concerned about as a ref (besides player safety) is influencing the outcome of a game. So sometimes it's nice to be able to get confirmation.

I'll illustrate my point with a little story. A couple years back I was officiating a highschool playoff elimination game (I know, I'm in the bigs now baby!). Around the 2nd period-ish, a guy takes a shot on net. Goalie makes the save, and the puck is under him. I'm in position beside the net and blow the whistle to call the play dead. HOWEVER, in the time it takes for me to raise the whistle to my mouth and actually blow it, a guy came in, took a whack at the goalie's' pads, and somehow by pure luck jarred the puck loose and into the net. My split-second judgement told me that I had blown the whistle before the puck completely crossed the goal line, and I called no-goal. I'm pretty damn sure I made the right call, but when it happens that fast it's hard to know for sure.

Guess what the outcome of that game was? Yep, 1-0. The other team. My split-second ruling did end up, in a way, influencing the end of that game. And yes, I know perfectly well that the losing team's apparent inability to score goals also influenced the end, but I sure got it from parents, coaches, and players as I was leaving the ice that night.

A video review confirming or negating my call, in that case, would've been cool, if anything just to get it off my back. To have something further that I could've pointed to.

So, in that sense, I'm cool with review of offsides plays THAT LEAD TO GOALS. If you start challenging every little offsides call, that does get into the ridiculous territory that Greg is talking about. At that point, require every player to wear some sort of chip that automatically identifies them as offsides and take linesmen out of the game completely. Bleh.

TheLastPig 03-01-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16731250)
we could always redefine offsides to be a distance in/out the zone (perhaps 0.5-1 skate length, and not 0.5 inches). however, players already get leeway with just having to have a foot on the blue line.

No way would refs have to make those judgements on the fly. The rule is black and white now, and thats how it should stay.

fonzz41 03-01-2017 07:39 AM

The only thing I REALLY want from Sakic today is to move Iginla. I don't even care about the return, just get him on a team that's going to make the playoffs. He doesn't deserve to finish his career like this.

Everything else can wait for the offseason if Joe can't find the right deal. No reason to panic into a major trade at this point in a gone season. Would like to see him get something for trading away some rentals, sure, but whatever at this point.

lockman21 03-01-2017 07:47 AM

The problem I have is that it's clearly not perfect yet. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwBMK7UFgk

I mean, that whole thing was looney tunes. I really don't know where I stand on the replay thing, but there is a problem when you introduce something like this and they STILL get it wrong.

Obviously no system will ever be perfect, but that's the point of replay, isn't it? To "get the call right"? If you're going to interrupt a game for 10 minutes for this circus, you better get the right call.

lockman21 03-01-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16731545)
The only thing I REALLY want from Sakic today is to move Iginla. I don't even care about the return, just get him on a team that's going to make the playoffs. He doesn't deserve to finish his career like this.

Everything else can wait for the offseason if Joe can't find the right deal. No reason to panic into a major trade at this point in a gone season. Would like to see him get something for trading away some rentals, sure, but whatever at this point.

No offense to Iggy - but what team does he really help at this point? I can't think of a contender that he actually makes better...

fonzz41 03-01-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731554)
The problem I have is that it's clearly not perfect yet. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwBMK7UFgk

I mean, that whole thing was looney tunes. I really don't know where I stand on the replay thing, but there is a problem when you introduce something like this and they STILL get it wrong.

Obviously no system will ever be perfect, but that's the point of replay, isn't it? To "get the call right"? If you're going to interrupt a game for 10 minutes for this circus, you better get the right call.

Agreed. If you are going to have this system, better get it right.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731555)
No offense to Iggy - but what team does he really help at this point? I can't think of a contender that he actually makes better...

And I think that's perhaps the reason Iggy still hasn't been traded. Sakic is trying to get the best deal he can for him, no doubt, but guys aren't willing to pay that much for a 40 year old who's having a bad year.

Granted, he might be that guy who can pot a garbage GWG for you in the playoffs still. He would be a good addition on a young team like Edmonton. Would also be cool to see him go back to Calgary.

In the end, I count on Sakic to be classy. If he can't get a great return for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved him for whatever he can get. If it's a 6th rounder, whatever. The question is, like you correctly stated, will any team be willing to make the deal?

lockman21 03-01-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16731458)
Jay & Dan, coming back to TSN!

Really, the biggest victory of the deadline.

YOU'RE BACK ON THE CASE, BOBROVSKY!

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:04 AM

Told you it would be boring today.

fonzz41 03-01-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16731576)
Told you it would be boring today.

We shouldn't be surprised. This is how the deadline is these days.

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16731578)
We shouldn't be surprised. This is how the deadline is these days.

The cap, especially a cap that's not expected to go up, hurts things.

Saw a tweet that Kings looking at Iginla.

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:10 AM

And just as we say that, Matty, the Kings are kicking the tires.

But how does he fit there? I just don't understand who he bumps off the roster.

Dramageek 03-01-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731555)

The Pens can bring him on! That worked out well the last time. :lol

fonzz41 03-01-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731587)
And just as we say that, Matty, the Kings are kicking the tires.

But how does he fit there? I just don't understand who he bumps off the roster.

Lombardi showing his merciful side? I don't know.

bradshaw06 03-01-2017 08:18 AM

Production today= zero.

bradshaw06 03-01-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16731590)
The Pens can bring him on! That worked out well the last time. :lol

Maybe Sully would play him in the correct position :lol. Probably wouldnt bump him for Dupuis either. :lorraine

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:21 AM

There really just aren't any big names left to move. I don't think Duchene is moving, so what's left? Vanek? Vrbata? YAWN.

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:28 AM

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/stat...75667912794112

Sounds about right.

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731603)
There really just aren't any big names left to move. I don't think Duchene is moving, so what's left? Vanek? Vrbata? YAWN.

That's about it. The big deals happen between like June 12th and July 1st now. A lot clearer picture for teams cap-wise.

bradshaw06 03-01-2017 08:31 AM

Maybe once waivers are finished it'll pick up. Though i feel this happens every year

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16731614)
Maybe once waivers are finished it'll pick up. Though i feel this happens every year

It's gotten slower and slower the last few years. Cap, so many teams who think they are still in it so don't want to sell....

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:36 AM

The expansion draft has a lot to do with it too, at least the last couple years. Teams working on their 3-5 year plans have to factor in that draft.

aeroshady 03-01-2017 08:40 AM

Losses to Columbus and D.C. definitely put into perspective how much I want the Rangers to avoid the MET in the playoffs. I still think in a playoff series the Rangers would not be an easy out. That said, I would like to win a playoff round or two and I think it is a tall order to do that in the MET this year. Rangers are still missing a few pieces from being a legit cup contender. I think we are more of a 1 or 2 round winner contender right now. I can't wait to see how Smith fits into our lineup though!

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:42 AM

So I read Bryz mentioned that the Wings put in a waiver claim on him when the Coyotes did back in 2007. That's an interesting tidbit if true. Wings had Osgood and Hasek at the time and both ended up having awesome years and we know what happened with Osgood when he took over for Hasek in round 1.

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16731620)
Losses to Columbus and D.C. definitely put into perspective how much I want the Rangers to avoid the MET in the playoffs. I still think in a playoff series the Rangers would not be an easy out. That said, I would like to win a playoff round or two and I think it is a tall order to do that in the MET this year. Rangers are still missing a few pieces from being a legit cup contender. I think we are more of a 1 or 2 round winner contender right now. I can't wait to see how Smith fits into our lineup though!

Lundqvist has basically carried them to the ECF before. All bets are off when it comes to that guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rags make a late push here. I just don't know if Vanek/Vrbata are really what they need.

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:45 AM

And there it is. Vanek to the Panthers. Interesting.

fonzz41 03-01-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16731599)
Production today= zero.

I specifically prepare for this day (and July 1 as well) beforehand at work so I can just sit around and refresh Twitter all morning.

fonzz41 03-01-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731626)

For a third? Eesh....

lockman21 03-01-2017 08:49 AM

What's depressing is that the NBA trade deadline was freakin' bonkers. I don't even follow the NBA too much, but even my jaw was nearly on the floor. This has just been lifeless.

TMoore4075 03-01-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16731626)

For only a 3rd rounder? If that's all it is, how does Smith get you more than Vanek? Both UFA's so age really shouldn't be a factor. Past shitty playoff performances? Maybe time to hang them up KH.