Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

trd1610 05-25-2016 12:25 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16437186)
Don't take it personal, it's just how H2P talks hockey. Once I realized that, he and I have actually <gasp> agreed on a couple things.

I've always been a believer in the idea that the best way to analyze hockey and its players is just to watch it.

I guess that's fair. Just always seems like I have to be on defense about everything.

And I agree with you that watching and the eye test is important in sports and you certainly learn a lot that way. But statistical analysis, especially some of the stuff they've started to do in football and basketball especially, with charting coverages, player separation, the different efficiency numbers they've developed, coupled with the eye test has definitely helped in the understanding and evaluation of different players and teams.

trd1610 05-25-2016 12:30 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16437195)
Yeah h2p gets a little excited sometimes but he knows his shit. Great hockey head on that dude.

Eye test, ftw. Totally agree. I can learn everything I need to know about teams and players from watching them over a period of time. Fancy stats have their place, but also my opinion that the eye test is where we can learn the most.

I agree watching it is obviously important. But I don't think it is an either or situation. I think that's the biggest misconception in general nowadays in sports when we hear the "analytics" buzzword. That it's either the old way or the new way and I don't need these fancy numbers to tell me about sports.

Used in conjunction with watching the tape is the most effective method IMO. I'm not talking about just looking at a spreadsheet and saying "oh this guys better than that guy based on this formula I've come up with".

I think with hockey it's a bit more difficult to develop some of the stuff they have in other sports because there's a lot more fluidity in play and a lot more impulse reaction decisions. But I think it's starting to gain more traction, this year was the first time they had a hockey focused panel and discussions on during the Sloan Conference at MIT.

hailtopitt 05-25-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16437178)
+/- is tough. It can be valuable when you are combining it with other factors, but you've got to be careful that you're not basing your judgement of a player's two way ability solely on that one stat.

I mean, just in a game I played last week I blocked three shots on one shift, including one that was going into an open net, but BAM, failed clearing attempt by my partner, quick shot from the point, puck deflects off a guy's butt and in. Minus 1 for me after what I considered a pretty solid shift.

Later in the period, line change and I hop over the boards. Two seconds later, we score. I did absolutely nothing on the play. Plus 1. Woo hoo!

So yeah, it's a stat that can contribute to the overall evaluation of a player, but it shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum.

those aren't the kind of -1's that Stralman is getting though...i'm always using the eye test in conjunction with metrics

Stralman has been out of position constantly and getting burned by a plethora of Penguins forwards...inconsistent at best since his return

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16437195)
Yeah h2p gets a little excited sometimes but he knows his shit. Great hockey head on that dude.

Eye test, ftw. Totally agree. I can learn everything I need to know about teams and players from watching them over a period of time. Fancy stats have their place, but also my opinion that the eye test is where we can learn the most.

:thumbsup agreed all around :lol

Dramageek 05-25-2016 01:40 PM

Not to belabor this point too much, but while Stralman scored a goal in his first game back, he also got burned on the setup for the Pens' OT winner. So at best he's been hit or miss, which is what I expect Stamkos would be upon his return.

trd1610 05-25-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16437371)
Not to belabor this point too much, but while Stralman scored a goal in his first game back, he also got burned on the setup for the Pens' OT winner. So at best he's been hit or miss, which is what I expect Stamkos would be upon his return.

And Hedman was burned by Phil two games ago. The defensive play as a whole hasn't been good, something I've already said and agreed to. I'll take hit or miss Stamkos than no Stamkos at all.

Dramageek 05-25-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16437396)
And Hedman was burned by Phil two games ago. The defensive play as a whole hasn't been good, something I've already said and agreed to. I'll take hit or miss Stamkos than no Stamkos at all.

That's fair. In your shoes, I'd likely take a hit or miss Sid or Geno over no Sid or Geno. Still not convinced having Stamkos play is the best idea for Tampa, but I understand wanting him to play.

~Crashintome89~ 05-25-2016 02:37 PM

stamkos will try and play because let's face it, when he moves to the leafs next year he won't be sniffing the Cup Final for the rest of his career.

coldengrey12 05-25-2016 06:07 PM

Assuming each team in each sport wins the elimination game left in this series, jump back five months and tell Bay Area sports fans, "The Sharks make the finals, but the Dubs don't" and you would get your ass laughed at so hard.

UCFish 05-25-2016 08:44 PM

Good bye Blues.

Great Job Sharks!

dmbetc 05-25-2016 08:55 PM

God damnit

Lcsulla 05-25-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16437906)
Good bye Blues.

Great Job Sharks!

Hell yeah, big win for San Jose - they just kicked the shit out of St. Louis tonight. Hopefully they can win the Cup against either the Pens or the Lightening!

bartender_man 05-26-2016 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16437930)
Hell yeah, big win for San Jose - they just kicked the shit out of St. Louis tonight. Hopefully they can win the Cup against either the Pens or the Lightening!

You are a good man :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

bartender_man 05-26-2016 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16437677)
Assuming each team in each sport wins the elimination game left in this series, jump back five months and tell Bay Area sports fans, "The Sharks make the finals, but the Dubs don't" and you would get your ass laughed at so hard.

So accurate :thumbsup

bartender_man 05-26-2016 03:36 AM

So excited for this moment.....Very happy right now and proud of my Sharks. I was unsure if we'd even make the playoffs at the beginning of the season. Also thought going up against the Kings-we'd have a 0% chance of winning that series. Hopefully they can win the Cup now.

TMoore4075 05-26-2016 04:03 AM

I don't get the not touching the trophy thing. I get not celebrating, it's not what you are playing for. But this not touching it thing has been going on for 10 years or so which means 10 teams didn't touch it and still didn't win the Cup.

unccrombie 05-26-2016 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16437969)
I don't get the not touching the trophy thing. I get not celebrating, it's not what you are playing for. But this not touching it thing has been going on for 10 years or so which means 10 teams didn't touch it and still didn't win the Cup.

shut up and grow your playoff beard!

aeroshady 05-26-2016 04:31 AM

Congrats Sharks, you now have a chance to not be the only team from California without a cup.

Really hope the Pens win game 7 now though.

TMoore4075 05-26-2016 05:03 AM

With the Sharks in the Finals now, I actually want them to get it. I mean Thornton has been growing that playoff beard since 2010 it seems so...eventually it'll work right?

hailtopitt 05-26-2016 07:22 AM

Sharks are real good

Lcsulla 05-26-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16437957)
You are a good man :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I try but I admit that part of that being happy and hoping they win is either personal, hockey or the chip on my shoulders.

1) My little brother has been following the Sharks since they came into existence. I would be very happy to watch the sheer joy on his face if SJ raises the cup - be sort of cool for my team to win last year and his this year.

2) Blues knocked out my Hawks so fuck them!

3) I have a chip on my shoulder for Pittsburgh (if they win) because they tormented my Whalers growing up. I am also indifferent about TB, no hate but no love either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16437969)

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16437990)
With the Sharks in the Finals now, I actually want them to get it. I mean Thornton has been growing that playoff beard since 2010 it seems so...eventually it'll work right?

Yeah, he looks like he is off to join the taliban after the finals, win or lose! :lol

Dramageek 05-26-2016 08:13 AM

The Sharks really do have some majestic beards.

TheLastPig 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

My butt is already clenched so tight for tonight. Today is going so slow.

BeyondKnight 05-26-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16438385)

I know - I don't know why, but this feels so much worse than if felt facing elimination in game 6.

daveshookme 05-26-2016 09:25 AM

As much as I hate Pittsburgh my sis moved to Chicago last year and then moved to Pittsburgh this year so it'd be cool if she was in both cities that won.

But I still hope they lose. She actually invited me down to go to the game tonight but I have to work at 7am tmr.

Dramageek 05-26-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

This. And productivity is not a thing today. (Luckily I don't have a ton to do today anyway.)

fonzz41 05-26-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

TWSS
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16437990)

I would love to see Thornton and Marleau get one. Also, Zubrus hasn't gotten one yet either, right? Been to the Finals a couple times I think. Not exactly a star, but been in the league a long time.

Lcsulla 05-26-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16437677)

So true, though I would consider them more like the Duds! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16438431)
I know - I don't know why, but this feels so much worse than if felt facing elimination in game 6.

Game 7's are always like this. It is 2 days worth of agony and worrying but it all goes away once the game begins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16438489)
This. And productivity is not a thing today. (Luckily I don't have a ton to do today anyway.)

Yeah, luckily I have a pretty easy day myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16438507)
TWSS

I would love to see Thornton and Marleau get one. Also, Zubrus hasn't gotten one yet either, right? Been to the Finals a couple times I think. Not exactly a star, but been in the league a long time.

Completely agree, would love to see those long time Sharks and their ever suffering fans win a cup. As for tonight - go Bolts - beat the hell out of Pittsburgh!!!!!! :)

TMoore4075 05-26-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16438507)

Marleau pretty much acting like it's no big deal right now is pretty badass. He knows what he wants and this ain't it. Reminds me Stevie Y in 97. Picked up the Campbell Bowl, didn't even smile, and skated to the dressing room.

Had to look up Zubrus, yep no Cup.

salrx95 05-26-2016 10:15 AM

Happy for the Sharks. I like to see teams get a monkey off their back for now. Blues would have qualified, too. I will root for sharks in final.

I liked Backes post game interview. Made me dislike Ott a little less.

Any Seinfeld fans here. Check out Wedgewoods new mask.

http://m.thn.com/blog/seinfelds-pudd...orts-the-team/

hailtopitt 05-26-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16438541)
Happy for the Sharks. I like to see teams get a monkey off their back for now. Blues would have qualified, too. I will root for sharks in final.

I liked Backes post game interview. Made me dislike Ott a little less.

Any Seinfeld fans here. Check out Wedgewoods new mask.

http://m.thn.com/blog/seinfelds-pudd...orts-the-team/

:lol thats amazing

el diablo?!?!

https://mapsaboutnothing.files.wordp...ng?w=300&h=225